Hey yall. I was wondering if anyone could comment on the longetivity of blackberrys hardware.
    I know some phones are naturally due to failure. But in general, is BB known for making a quality product? I plan to take care of my new 9930 and hope it lasts. I see many ppl still have their Tour's and that device has been out for two years correct?
    Anyone have a 5 year old bb that still runs and is a work horse?
    With proper care, *should* this device last me a while?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-11 08:32 AM
    BB is an excellent product if takin care of but then again, mine have seen some drops but never phased them. Currently have a 3yr BB on another line still going strong but outdated compared to 9930

ravnfire30 likes this.
    08-22-11 09:28 AM
    I have to say blackberrys are tanks and they will last for a very long time. To this day i still spot people with berrys with the side scroll wheel and these work very well.

I think you'll have a phone that will work for you for a very good amount of time if you take care of it.
    08-22-11 09:29 AM
    I have been using BlackBerries for more than a decade. I believe my first BB was a 957. In that time the only devices that I had to replace because of a physical failure were an 8830 whose microusb port became loose and wouldn't allow charging and a 9550 Storm 2 whose screen I shattered (the screen still worked fine but was ugly). I know some people had to replace trackballs on older blackberries but I never had that issue. I have a drawer full of old BB that still work fine.

Last edited by kyopo; 08-22-11 at 09:44 AM.
    08-22-11 09:41 AM
    All my BBs have lasted three plus years. I say plus because people in my family aunts uncles etc.. Still use them

08-22-11 10:43 AM
    My previous Curve and my actual 9700 have lasted very well for almost 2 years each of use. I do take care of my gadgets, but they have proved to be very durable and reliable.
    08-22-11 10:57 AM
    Sounds great guys! That's what I had hoped to hear!

08-22-11 11:03 AM
    i have friends still rocking old curves and pearls. only bb that i would deem "doomed to fail" would be the Storm. although i liked it (and was my first bb and got me hooked) it truly was a piece of junk. froze up a lot, dropped calls like no ones business, even call display would show the wrong contact. it finally pooched after only a year (which was the longest of any other storm user i know), so while i waited for the torch to come out i used my friends old pearl for a few months. my torch 9800 has been great, no issues, and i hope my new 9900 lasts and keeps me just as happy.
    08-22-11 11:05 AM
    Hey yall. I was wondering if anyone could comment on the longetivity of blackberrys hardware.
    I know some phones are naturally due to failure. But in general, is BB known for making a quality product? I plan to take care of my new 9930 and hope it lasts. I see many ppl still have their Tour's and that device has been out for two years correct?
    Anyone have a 5 year old bb that still runs and is a work horse?
    With proper care, *should* this device last me a while?

Well, not a five year old....but I think my old 8310 is about four years old and I can still use it. I give it to family members who need a phone in an emergency.
    Still have that one, the original Bold which came out maybe in '08/'09, the 9700 which came out in '09 (I think) and the first Torch.
    They ALL work.
    08-22-11 11:10 AM
    Should last you 5+ years granted that you don't play tennis with it, I have a friend who (for some odd reason) still rocks the 7500.
    08-22-11 11:33 AM
    Should last you 5+ years granted that you don't play tennis with it, I have a friend who (for some odd reason) still rocks the 7500.
    Lol. I usually like the latest and greatest but def plan to keep this one for a long time. I just can't get over this dream keyboard. Lol
    Thanks for everyones experiences/stories! Keep em coming!

08-22-11 11:38 AM
    2 years with no problems, after that you will need new battery, keyboard, depending on how you use it
    08-22-11 04:13 PM
    The mainboard itself will last a very long time. Other things can be replaced cheaply by the time they break - keyboards, screens, batteries.
    08-22-11 04:28 PM
    my first blackberry a curve 8310, lasted me about 2 years (longest ive had a phone) and in that time i smashed 2 cases, 3 screen, got it dropped in a pint of coke and survived hundreds of drops.

last time i saw it, it was still being used by a female friend i no longer speak to, but its in her hands in almost every fb picture! so must still be going strong 4 years after i purchased it!
    08-22-11 04:34 PM
    I've had my 8330m for almost three years now. It's still going well. I did replace the trackball at one point but that's it. My 9650 would still be OK if it wasn't in a drainage ditch. Don't ask.
    08-22-11 04:39 PM
    I don't want to get too technical here and lose some of you readers, but I've got scientific evidence that a Blackberry can last

<<<............................................... .T-H-I-S............L-O-N-G................................................. >>>

... no kidding!
    Masahiro likes this.
    08-22-11 05:07 PM
    old 8330 lasted two years having only needed the trackball replaced once in a while. i take care of my phones well but i do drop them once so often
    08-22-11 05:19 PM
    old 8330 lasted two years having only needed the trackball replaced once in a while. i take care of my phones well but i do drop them once so often
    The original Curves were the best phones.

I had mine for more than two years, sold it to a co-worker who used it for another year and his son has been using it since last summer. That phone still works.
    08-22-11 05:52 PM
    going from trackball to track pad definitely eliminated one of common issues for blackberries.
    08-22-11 05:53 PM
    I have always found blackberries to be a pretty solid device. When there was an issue with my old ones it was usually the track ball failure. Some people nit pick too much sometimes when I received my 9930 the bottom panel was coming off I just popped it back down. As far as this device goes it seems really solid to me.

08-22-11 07:33 PM
    I still have my Tour after almost 2 years and it still works perfectly. I have to clean the trackball every so often, but that is because I am a roofer and get a ton of dirt and debris in it.

Once my 2 yrs is up though I am leaning towards the Bold, but the new Torch is very intriguing!
    08-22-11 08:03 PM
    They last forever and being able to swap batteries, you never have to worry about a failing battery down the road and your phone being useless. Pop in a new battery and you'll be back to great battery life. Just like new. I've had a lot of phones and the blackberry is the only one that I don't baby cause they are bullet proof(for a phone) imo.

08-22-11 10:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD