Hello,

I just got the new BlackBerry Bold 9930. Everything works perfectly fine, however, everytime I send long sms texts, people get them split into several and each one is named 1/5, 2/5, and so on...
    Has anyone in here experienced this problem? If so, what is the way to fix it? It's annoying for me, as I'm used to sending extended sms texts all the time, and for the people who get them, mostly as it's harder for them to read them, you know?
    Thanks y'all for your help,

A.D.
    04-14-12 04:41 PM
    I think that's just the way phones operate. Certain phones (usually older ones), when they receive text messages that are longer than the normal amount create multiple messages instead of stringing them together.
    04-14-12 05:12 PM
    Hello,

I just got the new BlackBerry Bold 9930. Everything works perfectly fine, however, everytime I send long sms texts, people get them split into several and each one is named 1/5, 2/5, and so on...
    Has anyone in here experienced this problem? If so, what is the way to fix it? It's annoying for me, as I'm used to sending extended sms texts all the time, and for the people who get them, mostly as it's harder for them to read them, you know?

A.D.
    That's actually normal, not a problem. SMS can only be 160 characters maximum which is why it sends your whole text as different messages, there's no fix for it. It's built in the core of GSM SMS texting, look it up
    04-14-12 05:13 PM
    Hello,

A.D.

There's nothing wrong with your phone. Always remember that a SMS can only have up to 160 characters. Not all phones can support more than 160 characters that is why the message has been separated page by page. It also works the same with SMS charges, if a SMS charges you $0.25 for each, and you happen to send a messages that slighlty exceeded 160 characters, it will be considered as $0.50 for reaching the second page.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9810 using Tapatalk
    04-14-12 05:13 PM
    Um... When I was using my Curve, Tour and older Bold, my long sms texts were sent as one long sms and not as 5 or 6 different little messages... The thing is this is a brand new phone, so obviously I feel frustrated to be sort of dowgraded in a way, you know? When I send those long messages to myself I get the sent message as one long one and the received message as several ones... So obviously there's something going on while it's sending them... Have you heard of an App of something that could bring them back together as one long message?
    Thanks to all of you for answering by the way! I highly appreciate it!

A.D.
    04-14-12 05:25 PM
    Um... When I was using my Curve, Tour and older Bold, my long sms texts were sent as one long sms and not as 5 or 6 different little messages... The thing is this is a brand new phone, so obviously I feel frustrated to be sort of dowgraded in a way, you know? When I send those long messages to myself I get the sent message as one long one and the received message as several ones... So obviously there's something going on while it's sending them... Have you heard of an App of something that could bring them back together as one long message?

A.D.

Kindly go to your Text Messaging then press menu and go to options. Try looking for this option:

Your messages might have been saved on SIM instead of phone memory.

04-14-12 05:35 PM
    Um, no... That's not it... :s
    04-14-12 05:58 PM
    Kindly go to your Text Messaging then press menu and go to options. Try looking for this option:

Click to view quoted image

Your messages might have been saved on SIM instead of phone memory.

I don't even have this on my 9900.
    04-14-12 07:06 PM

A.D.
    Really? I had an 8330 Curve and an OS6 Style & the only way could ever go over 160 characters in a text was by installing Crunchsms. Otherwise I had to break my messages up myself. Not doubting you, just surprised you were able to do that.
    04-14-12 07:12 PM
    What about checking the "combine sequential messages box" under text options? Haven't tried it but noticed it under possible settings.
    04-14-12 07:15 PM
    The OP could try Threaded SMS app. I just tried it and I did not get the whole 160 1/7 figures. I just copy and pasted something until I got the pop up: field full.
    04-14-12 07:20 PM
    CDMA does not support sms longer than 160 characters on the other hand GSM does, simple as that
    04-15-12 12:20 PM
    wrong. (simple as that)

see several replies above... an SMS is DEFINED as having up to 160 characters... whether the phone can handle multiple sequential SMS and combine them into one message has nothing to do with that.

Note that regardless of that feature, if you pay (say) $0.20 for an SMS and receive one single long message of 1599 characters you will be billed for 10 SMS messages.

CDMA does not support sms longer than 160 characters on the other hand GSM does, simple as that
    04-15-12 05:56 PM
    Sms stands for "short" message service.

SMS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    04-15-12 06:35 PM
    You could always send anything over 160 words as an Mms message and it won't be broken up. I think up to 1000 or 1500 characters.
    04-15-12 08:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD