Options > Device > Location Settings > Location Services > OFF

Will this increase my battery life?
    12-21-11 10:59 PM
    That is what some posters confirm. Mine has been set to off since reading those posts.But i have not really made a comparison.

Why don't you try it.

Also, setting the radio to 2G only instead of 3/4G increases battery life. This, I can confirm.
    12-21-11 11:08 PM

Also, setting the radio to 2G only instead of 3/4G increases battery life. This, I can confirm.
    i can confirm that also. Battery life at least tripled with mine...
    12-21-11 11:13 PM
    Well tripled is seriously exaggerated, unless you happen to be underground all day and the GPS is completely alienated from the sky (and even at that...), but you will see a big increase in battery life with it off. The fewer radios you have running, the better the battery life. I don't use anything I don't need at the time. Bluetooth only goes on when I drive. WiFi is never on...NFC off etc...
    12-22-11 12:46 AM
    regarding the 2g only and 2g&3g (hence we dont have support for 4g from telcos in our country)

ive been setting my bb to have only 2g.. didnt know that if we set it to 2g&3g the batt will last longer? anyone from my region can confirm this? i will do a test
    12-22-11 01:23 AM
    You can keep location ON. If it's not used, won't hurt.
    12-22-11 01:25 AM
    doesn't matter until you use some location based app..
    but keeping OFF is good idea..
    12-22-11 01:42 AM
    I'm lucky in that I spend the majority of my day in areas with very good coverage, so I keep mine on 2G/3G. I've recently talked to someone who mentioned that setting location services to GPS doesn't drain the battery any faster, so I've started keeping location on, GPS on. It honestly didn't drop my battery life at all.
    It is true that it all hinges on the strength of the signal.
    12-22-11 02:40 AM
    Anyone thinking that keeping the GPS on doesn't rain battery dramatically faster needs to do the research. That is so wrong on so many levels it makes me laugh...
    12-22-11 02:59 AM
    Anyone thinking that keeping the GPS on doesn't rain battery dramatically faster needs to do the research. That is so wrong on so many levels it makes me laugh...
    Laughter is good for you!

Anyway, I like to do empirical research, and my conclusion is that leaving Location Services ON has no effect at all, unless there are actually processes using those services.

It seems to me that turning Location Services ON simply allows various apps to use the services. These can include the camera, if geotagging is on, Poynt, and a lot of other things that people might leave running. But if they don't, I don't think Location Services does anything at all.

But don't take my word for it. It's a science project, do an experiment! Turn off all apps that might use GPS. Do a reset. Go to Options>Device>Location Services. Turn it on. Under "Last Update" it should say "None," and latitude and longitude will show zeroes. Don't use any GPS-using apps for a few hours, or all day, and then check it again. Under "Last Update" it will still say "None" and the location will still show zeroes. Conclusion: Even though it's been "ON", it hasn't done anything, because no app or process invoked it.

In addition, I've found no difference in battery life at all.
    12-22-11 10:30 AM
    Laughter is good for you!

Anyway, I like to do empirical research, and my conclusion is that leaving Location Services ON has no effect at all, unless there are actually processes using those services.

It seems to me that turning Location Services ON simply allows various apps to use the services. These can include the camera, if geotagging is on, Poynt, and a lot of other things that people might leave running. But if they don't, I don't think Location Services does anything at all.

But don't take my word for it. It's a science project, do an experiment! Turn off all apps that might use GPS. Do a reset. Go to Options>Device>Location Services. Turn it on. Under "Last Update" it should say "None," and latitude and longitude will show zeroes. Don't use any GPS-using apps for a few hours, or all day, and then check it again. Under "Last Update" it will still say "None" and the location will still show zeroes. Conclusion: Even though it's been "ON", it hasn't done anything, because no app or process invoked it.

In addition, I've found no difference in battery life at all.
    Even though I haven't gotten around the experiment its safe to say it doesn't have much difference on battery life. Get almost the same life with or without.
    12-22-11 12:54 PM
    i notice that when I set location and when I turn off the cellular radio,it also turns off the location. So is it safe to say that the location might be connected or linked to the cell radio ? therefore bad signal+location on = increase battery drain?
    12-22-11 01:17 PM
    I'm not sure by your comment if you think it does or doesn't but in my opinion makes very little difference in battery life unless you are using a location based app. I have never turned this off and my battery life is great. It is just like wifi I leave that on and unless you have it set to look for hotspots and notify you again makes little difference.
    12-22-11 02:11 PM
    I always turn mine off when not using a location based app and I drain exactly 1% per hour while I'm sleeping. I'll close all apps and leave gps location on tonight and see if it still drains at same percentage.

As for the toggle on/off, quicklaunch makes it a two click step for me. I have QL set for my bottom convenience key so no matter what app I'm in I can access just about any setting or toggle in two clicks. I'm surprised they don't just add it into the drop down network settings panel just like wifi and bt.

Sent from my Big Red BlackBerry 9930
    12-22-11 02:17 PM
    I am on day 2 of the location service off test. I can say that it is working so far.

I got my new 9900 on Dec 13th. I have had around 10 Blackberry's and this has been the worst experience by far. Day 2 of ownership could not compose a pin, had to wipe and reinstall (lost the compass as a result...). Then the battery issues began. My 9700 I could leave wifi on, power-use all day, and still have 40% at bedtime.

The first week with new bb, noticed the battery was draining over 5% per hour. I had to plug in mid day as I did not think it would last the train ride. I turned off wifi. Got a bit better.

Then xmas break. Using my bb a couple of times a day, other than that sitting in my holster. So not even casual use. It was dead my 1 or 2pm, after unplugging at 6 or 7am. So I was only getting 6 or 7 hours. ??? That's the quoted talk time on the bb website, and I am barely getting that in standby.

So yesterday mid morning, I saw that location services was on. So I turned that off, and closed google mobile as well. 5pm still at 40%. wow.

today I will go without google mobile and leave location service off, and see what happens. Right now I am at 90% after 5am unplug.

Gotta love progress. I understand that faster processors, and brighter touch screens use more battery, and slim size means smaller battery but my worst part so far was holstered non use.

I have 9 days before my no question warranty replace ends, hope this solves it.

I will try turning mobile back on for a day or two
    then wifi for a day or two (I dont need wifi here in Canada with H+, but when travelling I use wifi a lot to save on data expense)
    If its still good, then I will bridge my new playbook and see how that goes for battery life.

Andrew

ps: funny, when my 9700 died (screen went white spochy) I charged up my 8700 and my 8800. The batteries on all my 9000's had exploded. They both worked perfectly. Used the 8800 for 4 days, only plugged in once. Yesterday I noticed the 8700 was flashing, the battery was just about to run out. I know the radio's were turned off, bluetooth on, but its still funny that after 25 days it still had some juice.
    01-04-12 07:14 AM
    I disagree. I always left it off in the past, but recently decided to have it on. I've not had any difference in battery life what so ever - and I'm regularly checking battery stats using MeterBerry. Having it ON has made 0% difference for me.

I always turn mine off when not using a location based app and I drain exactly 1% per hour while I'm sleeping. I'll close all apps and leave gps location on tonight and see if it still drains at same percentage.
    I've regularly had 0.5-1% /hr drain while sleeping with location ON.
    01-04-12 02:19 PM
    Forgot to report back. My idle drain has been the same 1% per hour with gps on, but no location apps running. Doesn't look to me like it has any affect unless an app is using gps.
    01-04-12 02:25 PM
    I am going to refute my own findings. I was "only" losing about 2.5% per hour today. At around 9:15 I accidentally opened Google Mobile I was at 90%. Location service still off. At 10;30 I checked battery life was down to 65%. Google was sitting on home screen saying "updating location" I closed Google Mobile, and at 3:30 I was at 50%. So I am back to averaging 2.5%

So now I am thinking its google mobile that is killing me. That might explain some okay days the previous week, they were after a battery out reboot, which means I would not have launched Google mobile.

Tomorrow's test, turn location service back on. If I still averaging about 2.5 or 3%, then its google....

I am on day 2 of the location service off test. I can say that it is working so far.
    01-04-12 02:56 PM
    battery life on the 9900 just sucks!
    01-04-12 04:25 PM
    I am going to refute my own findings. I was "only" losing about 2.5% per hour today. At around 9:15 I accidentally opened Google Mobile I was at 90%. Location service still off. At 10;30 I checked battery life was down to 65%. Google was sitting on home screen saying "updating location" I closed Google Mobile, and at 3:30 I was at 50%. So I am back to averaging 2.5%

So now I am thinking its google mobile that is killing me. That might explain some okay days the previous week, they were after a battery out reboot, which means I would not have launched Google mobile.

Tomorrow's test, turn location service back on. If I still averaging about 2.5 or 3%, then its google....
    Which Google service, search or map?
    Thanks.
    01-04-12 09:04 PM

I got my new 9900 on Dec 13th. I have had around 10 Blackberry's and this has been the worst experience by far. Day 2 of ownership could not compose a pin, had to wipe and reinstall (lost the compass as a result...). Then the battery issues began. My 9700 I could leave wifi on, power-use all day, and still have 40% at bedtime.

The first week with new bb, noticed the battery was draining over 5% per hour. I had to plug in mid day as I did not think it would last the train ride. I turned off wifi. Got a bit better.

Then xmas break. Using my bb a couple of times a day, other than that sitting in my holster. So not even casual use. It was dead my 1 or 2pm, after unplugging at 6 or 7am. So I was only getting 6 or 7 hours. ??? That's the quoted talk time on the bb website, and I am barely getting that in standby.

So yesterday mid morning, I saw that location services was on. So I turned that off, and closed google mobile as well. 5pm still at 40%. wow.

today I will go without google mobile and leave location service off, and see what happens. Right now I am at 90% after 5am unplug.

Gotta love progress. I understand that faster processors, and brighter touch screens use more battery, and slim size means smaller battery but my worst part so far was holstered non use.

I have 9 days before my no question warranty replace ends, hope this solves it.

I will try turning mobile back on for a day or two
    then wifi for a day or two (I dont need wifi here in Canada with H+, but when travelling I use wifi a lot to save on data expense)
    If its still good, then I will bridge my new playbook and see how that goes for battery life.

Andrew

ps: funny, when my 9700 died (screen went white spochy) I charged up my 8700 and my 8800. The batteries on all my 9000's had exploded. They both worked perfectly. Used the 8800 for 4 days, only plugged in once. Yesterday I noticed the 8700 was flashing, the battery was just about to run out. I know the radio's were turned off, bluetooth on, but its still funny that after 25 days it still had some juice.
    1. Do you mean PIN messages? I only ask because all of my BlackBerries have had a PIN pre issued by RIM at the time of manufacture.

2. Open location apps DO use battery life. Close them when no longer needed. Google included.

3. Man, you got some bad batteries, was there damage to the phones? This is a definite warranty claim, take them back, with the batteries! All of them. Every one of them, they were OEM, correct?

4. My retired 9630 lasts at least 30 days with the radios off and the phone on and in a drawer. Old phone, OS 5, no wi-fi, but I keep it around because I just love that thing.

Good luck, hope everything works out for you.
    Last edited by AugustArborists; 01-04-12 at 11:21 PM.
    01-04-12 11:06 PM
    Search. The app is called Google Search on app list, but originally was called Google Mobile.

Which Google service, search or map?
    Thanks.
    01-05-12 05:38 AM
    Yes, as I said I could not "compose a pin". I got the device on Dec 12, loaded all my stuff using the switch device wizard in desktop manager, as I had on my previous 3 or 4 devices (prior to that I just used restore from backup for my other 5 devices). I got my device working as it had before, then launched my BES activation. I used my device all day, sending pin's bbm's and both BIS and BES emails. Plugged it in at the end of the day. In the moring, I went to send a PIN, and it came back with

"No PIN services. You will only be able to Save Draft"

My boss had a similar message on his newish curve running os 6 the week before, but his was related to sms messages.

So I assumed it was something wonky with BES, even though I did not think our BES had interaction with PIN messages.

I spent an hour on the phone with my Voice Services area and Rogers. Then sent service books, had me delete services, etc. Finally they said the last step would be a wipe, restore to default and a another BES activation. So I did that late Dec 13. It worked fine that night, and the next day, and is still working. The only oddity was that I lost the compass app in doing all that.

1. Do you mean PIN messages? I only ask because all of my BlackBerries have had a PIN pre issued by RIM at the time of manufacture.

No damage to phone. Hadnt really left the holster aside from charging and setting up, all this literally happened within first 24 hours.
    3. Man, you got some bad batteries, was there damage to the phones? This is a definite warranty claim, take them back, with the batteries! All of them. Every one of them, they were OEM, correct?
    Ya, I keep all my old phones. The roller ball ones are all toast, most can only roll one way now. The Bold 9000's were brutal so they are out of the backup rotation. First two would lose the OS on a battery-out, and last one still works but the batteries cracked open during their desk duty the past two years. The 8800 and 8900, and even the old 7000 series ones I have still work fine.

Thanks for the good luck....

I think the battery issue is solved for now (or at least manageable). I made it through the day yesterday with normal use. I was at 35% at bed time. Would have been a lot higher had I not lost 25% in that 45 minutes that Google was launched.

I am testing with location service on right now, google still off. On for 2 hours so far today, and still at 95%.

Andrew

4. My retired 9630 lasts at least 30 days with the radios off and the phone on and in a drawer. Old phone, OS 5, no wi-fi, but I keep it around because I just love that thing.

Good luck, hope everything works out for you.
    01-05-12 05:57 AM
    Testing day 2. Got 8.5 hours so far and only down to 75% battery. Normal usage pattern for me.

So, while I am sure location services does use up battery, it was not the thing killing me.
    The batteries do suck on the 9900, but at least at this rate, I can get a good working day done, at the current usage, it will last over 24 hours.

I will slowly add back other services, try Google Search without turning on its own location feature, and see how that works. Might even try turning wifi back on.

Andrew
    01-05-12 12:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD