So, I just joined this website. I've been reading a lot of your posts. They've been really helpful! I currently own the Blackberry Torch 9810, but I ordered the Blackberry Bold 9900. I should be receiving it soon. What do you guys like and dislike about the phone?
    02-09-12 10:35 AM
    I received my Bold 9900 on Friday of last week. Omg! Such an amazing device. I have owned a Torch 9800, and 9810 / Bold 9700 / And now the Bold 9900. My likes are the: 1.gorgeous screen
    2.large keyboard thats easy to text and type (smooth)
    3.Touch screen
    4. Speakers
    5. size and fit of the device

Dislikes: Mute button and no autofocus

You will love this phone trust me. Its a 9/10
    alwaysleah likes this.
    02-09-12 10:50 AM
    I'm considering this device too and see you've both had the 9810 which is a contender for me.

May I ask you both why you prefer the 9900 over the 9810?

02-09-12 10:57 AM
    2. Large Screen
    3. Slim Profile (thickness)
    4. OS7 and it's features (wifi hotspot, NFC)
    5. Good in/out call quality
    & last but not least..
    6. Goodness of blackberry classic email functionality.

Dislikes:
    1. Battery (really small for me)
    2. less maturity/ stability of OS7
    3. default pouch (it's so hard to take out 9900 and i feel like sometime that i might rip off volume keys)

Want to see changes...
    1. new redesigned battery for 99xx with more power to suite classic blackberry saying.
    2. better and very stable OS7.x
    alwaysleah likes this.
    02-09-12 10:59 AM
    -Awesome keyboard! Feels like im playing a grand piano!!
    -Long Battery Life (abt 15hrs with Wifi and 3G on )
    -Notification Center
    -Universal Search
    -The Touchscreen + trackpad + keyboard combo (VERY Helpful)
    -The sleekness of the phone! Its slim, well built, and looks so professional!

Dislikes
    -the occasional spinning wait clock
    -some apps not being compatible for the 9900/9930 (like Doodle Jump!!!)
    -No Autufocus
    -the second convenience key I had on my old 8900
    alwaysleah and sashlon like this.
    02-09-12 11:29 AM

Dislikes
    -the second convenience key I had on my old 8900
    I had forgotten this absolutely maddening thing about the 9900...and 9810. I used the lefthand convenience key on my 8900/9700/8780 for Contacts, and the right one was the camera default...now there's just one. Why?

Seems like a very small thing to most people I'm sure...but the additional one was great!
    02-09-12 11:55 AM
    All is good but:

-Small battery.
    -Bricking issues
    -No Autofocus
    -Restarts still needed a lot.
    -Hourglass waiting still there!
    alwaysleah likes this.
    02-09-12 12:13 PM
    2. Large Screen
    3. Slim Profile (thickness)
    4. OS7 and it's features (wifi hotspot, NFC)
    5. Good in/out call quality
    & last but not least..
    6. Goodness of blackberry classic email functionality.

Dislikes:
    1. Battery (really small for me)
    2. less maturity/ stability of OS7
    3. default pouch (it's so hard to take out 9900 and i feel like sometime that i might rip off volume keys)

Want to see changes...
    1. new redesigned battery for 99xx with more power to suite classic blackberry saying.
    2. better and very stable OS7.x
    Re. The default pouch - this might sound crazy but I had an old 8330 Curve in a snap-on case so I stuffed it in my 9930 pouch and left it for a few minutes. It totally did the trick. My Bold slides right in now and I don't have any more worries about keys coming off. Stretching it a bit really helps.
    02-09-12 12:34 PM
    I had my bold a bit over a month now and I love the keyboard on the phone and the response on the touchscreen is quick compare to my previous phone torch 9800 I thought I would hate the no auto focus camera but I learn to like it and that it take very quick pictures the only thing I dislike about this phone is the battery it drains very quickly but other then that the phone is great
    alwaysleah likes this.
    02-09-12 01:19 PM
    Thank you all for your replies! I'm getting more and more excited by the minute. I can't wait to receive it.

@kcmo I honestly prefer the 9900 because I have had a Bold (9780) before and I enjoy it more than the Torch. However, different phones work for different people! I bought so many cases for my Torch and they all broke! At least with the Bold, I know that I'll be able to get a soft case and not have to worry about having to buy another one. Also, because the Torch slides, there's a greater chance of you running into problems with it if you constantly drop it.
    02-09-12 01:48 PM
    Thank you all for your replies! I'm getting more and more excited by the minute. I can't wait to receive it.

@kcmo I honestly prefer the 9900 because I have had a Bold (9780) before and I enjoy it more than the Torch. However, different phones work for different people! I bought so many cases for my Torch and they all broke! At least with the Bold, I know that I'll be able to get a soft case and not have to worry about having to buy another one. Also, because the Torch slides, there's a greater chance of you running into problems with it if you constantly drop it.
    Thanks! Before my jump to the iPhone 4s I had a 9700 and did enjoy the form factor (had Curves before that), but I have to say I've been spoiled recently with the larger screen which is why I'm looking at the 9810 as well.
    02-09-12 02:04 PM
    I had forgotten this absolutely maddening thing about the 9900...and 9810. I used the lefthand convenience key on my 8900/9700/8780 for Contacts, and the right one was the camera default...now there's just one. Why?

Seems like a very small thing to most people I'm sure...but the additional one was great!
    Absolutely! Mine was setup the exact same way! Left for contacts, right for Camera.

Now my convenience key is set to Camera because Im so used to it that way.
    02-09-12 02:23 PM
    I pretty much like everything about the device.
    Love the keyboard, screen size is good (although could be a bit larger). Messaging is a breeze. BBM, texting, email is all great. Universal message inbox and LED are perfect. Just an amazing communication device. This phone gets the job done!

My only problem is that I'm getting a bit bored. There are very few apps to 'spice things up' and sadly, the overall UI is boring me. Themes are great, but the really good ones (that totally change up the UI) are extremely buggy because of no official Theme Builder.

I honestly can't wait for BB10. And sadly, if it doesn't really change the game, I'll probably get the iPhone5. My BBM list is dwindling, quickly...

Also, I have a 9930, but I assume I would make the same exact post if I had the 9900, except I might complain about AT&T or T-Mobile's cra*py service...
    Last edited by SaMaster14; 02-09-12 at 02:34 PM.
    alwaysleah likes this.
    02-09-12 02:29 PM
    Quick question. Once I get the phone, how long should I initially charge the battery for?
    02-09-12 04:18 PM
    Theme Builder is NONE EXISTENT
    OS 7 and 7.1 is not that stable

Aside from that, it's a great phone.
    02-09-12 07:32 PM
    Quick question. Once I get the phone, how long should I initially charge the battery for?
    The LED turns Green. Put it on the charger while you play around doing setup etc.
    Make sure it is charged BEFORE you do any programme updates. Have fun! I'm a newbie as well.
    alwaysleah likes this.
    02-09-12 08:51 PM
    Is anyone with Rogers? Does anyone know when OS 7.1 will be available?
    Last edited by alwaysleah; 02-11-12 at 11:13 AM.
    02-10-12 08:05 PM
    I just got my 9900 today and I love it!! I was a huge fan of the 9000 and I hated to give it up, but this Bold is amazing. The touch screen is so responsive and the keypad is perfect! RIM pulled it together on this one!! Goodwork!
    alwaysleah likes this.
    02-10-12 08:20 PM
    Got my 9930 yesterday and immediately upgraded to os 7.1. Great phone, touch screen, battery life, browser speed and it just feels good in the hand. No dislikes yet.
    alwaysleah likes this.
    02-10-12 09:15 PM
    Dislikes:
    - lack of autofocus on the camera
    - battery life
    - reported mysterious cases of bricking
    - holster design: wish the included holsters had a little more give in them, so that they can be used if you had the hard or soft shell on

Other than that, love everything else about the 9900!
    alwaysleah likes this.
    02-10-12 09:29 PM
    Pros.
    No bricking (can't Imagine what some are reporting)
    Spinning clock almost never (only when installing apps)
    Reboot for fun not because I need to
    Battery great compared to other smartphones with similar muscle
    Great browser and customizable
    GReat camera unless. You want to be a paper trail spy snapping pictures of top secret documents and expecting them to look exactly like the originals
    Voice quality
    Vibriant wide screen
    Long Long talk time
    The best keyboard
    Smooth well built OS
    Media functions
    Video recorder
    Notifications
    Best Email
    Shortcuts after shortcuts

Cons None unless I decide to be a spy but I believe I would look into a waterproof camera for that if I was not a phone
    mauricio123 and alwaysleah like this.
    02-10-12 10:35 PM

I use an app called SixTools. It turns the volume control keys to anything you like. When you play music or something like that, it automatically switch off. I really like the app and I have QL app on one key the other for the Contacts and another for Calender.
    02-10-12 11:43 PM
    I'm considering this device too and see you've both had the 9810 which is a contender for me.

May I ask you both why you prefer the 9900 over the 9810?

I arrived at a 9900,coming from an 9810. Reasons to give away the 9810:

*) absolutely pathetic 9810 lock button that releases by touch of a feather, making the device literally unuseable for me,
    *) slimmer form factor of the 9900,
    *) even better keyboard on the 9900 (I'm a keyboard maniac, can't stand touchscreen-only phones) - although the 9810 KB is also very good but more cramped

But I think if the lock button was better/stiffer, I would have kept the 9810. So I hope for a BB10 device to be released in that slider form factor, but slimmer than the 9810, and with that nasty lock button problem addressed, then I'm sold.

Other thoughts/comparisions:

*) surprisingly, my 9810's battery lasted longer (or at least as long as) the 9900's. I personally do not have a big problem with the 9900's battery, but at heavy usage, It will drain after one full working day. Yes, I did the intial battery training, and I'm turning 3G off when not needed. But I'm still missing the 3 or more days that my 9780's battery lasted.
    *) I REALLY miss the faux leather battery doors of the 9780 and likes. Not only did they look very distinguished, they also prevented fingerprints and smearing - the original 9900 cover is a magnet, and the replacement doors that you can buy on the web are very soft and don't offer any protection.
    *) I didn't expect that I would miss the autofocus that much on the 9900. Besides social photography, which works kind of ok-ish, I mostly take pictures of articles in magazines, price tags in shops etc. They just won't get any good, which is annoying.

All in all, I like my 9900 a lot, and I will only replace it by a BB10 phone. Maybe.
    alwaysleah likes this.
    02-11-12 04:59 AM
    Like everything about the phone except the camera. I dont dig the camera.
    alwaysleah likes this.
    02-11-12 07:00 AM

with the new blackberry's quicklaunch is your friend. buy the app, it can make your right hand button launch any app/apps you like.
    02-11-12 07:43 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD