What..... No left side convenience key..... forget it !!!! lol.

The new video was amazing. This is the phone I have been waiting for. Will pre-order for sure....
    05-03-11 02:42 PM
    I'm betting you will, if you want it.
    You will check CB daily, your carrier website every other day. You will be infuriated at delays when speculated release dates aren't met. Just like the rest of us

28 posts in 3 years of membership?
    I actually took a half day off to come back home and read what's going on with CB!
    05-03-11 02:45 PM
    I will have your babies if this is correct!!!!!!! That's when my last ever NE2 is due!!!!!
    That is DISGUSTING!
    05-03-11 05:04 PM
    So a few observations...

RIM has departed somewhat from recent history and announced this device, demo'd it, and put out pictures of it when it goes to the carrier for initial testing. This will help create a buzz about it and put pressure on the carriers IMO...

RIM has also departed from history in another area. It appears that both the CDMA/EVDO version will come out closely to the same time as the HSPA/GSM version. This is really good for us in a sense because it pits the carriers against each other. AT&T can't drag their feet on testing and let Verizon get their version out first and vice versa.

In some ways I wish RIM would nail down the details on the carrier side and then do their announcement and say the device will be available from carrier X on date Y (with date Y being 30 days or less).

Interesting....

PG
    05-03-11 05:42 PM
    Phonegeek I know u tested the 9700 can u update us at all on how the testing is going for AT&tT and maybe give us a timeframe?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-11 06:43 PM
    Leaving Sprint when my contract is up in October since the service is terrible in my house. This will be my next phone, no doubt about it. Love it.
    And my guess will be that you will be able to get this phone on any carrier. Really nice not having to pit device against service.
    05-03-11 06:50 PM
    So a few observations...

RIM has departed somewhat from recent history and announced this device, demo'd it, and put out pictures of it when it goes to the carrier for initial testing. This will help create a buzz about it and put pressure on the carriers IMO...

RIM has also departed from history in another area. It appears that both the CDMA/EVDO version will come out closely to the same time as the HSPA/GSM version. This is really good for us in a sense because it pits the carriers against each other. AT&T can't drag their feet on testing and let Verizon get their version out first and vice versa.

In some ways I wish RIM would nail down the details on the carrier side and then do their announcement and say the device will be available from carrier X on date Y (with date Y being 30 days or less).

Interesting....

PG
    They announced the playbook like what, 8 months ahead of launch? Lets hope THAT doesnt become their norm.
    It is different though, announcing stuff ahead of time. The 9650 went up on the Blackberry site I think the same day as the first carrier launched it.
    05-03-11 06:55 PM
    I really hope Verizon gets this soon. Since switching from AT&T a couple of years ago I have really missed my Bold 9000. My 9650 is ok, but I miss that nice form factor of the 9000 and it looks like this is going to be a nice replacement for it.

RIM could definitely use some new phones. Having the 9650 as their flagship model in 2011 was getting embarrassing.
    05-03-11 07:22 PM
    yeah i hope this comes out soon, because i have an upgrade right now (have since march) and i am on at&t so the only bb i can get right now is the torch or the curve. I dont really like the torch and the curve is kind of outdated and i dont wanna get the curve this week and have this come out like 2-3 weeks after so it needs to hurr
    05-03-11 09:42 PM
    I'm due for a carrier upgrade in June. This might be perfect timing
    05-03-11 09:52 PM
    Phonegeek I know u tested the 9700 can u update us at all on how the testing is going for AT&tT and maybe give us a timeframe?

I have heard that it is in our lab but that info came to me from an outside source and my source in our lab has been out of the office for a little while (because of an unrelated issue) so I haven't been able to confirm.

I am thinking if they are serious about a summer release it should come to the field shortly.

PG
    05-03-11 10:58 PM
    I have heard that it is in our lab but that info came to me from an outside source and my source in our lab has been out of the office for a little while (because of an unrelated issue) so I haven't been able to confirm.

I am thinking if they are serious about a summer release it should come to the field shortly.

Once it comes to the field is 30 days realistic at all or is it usually 60 days

PG

Once it comes to the field is 30 days realistic at all or is it usually 60 days

05-03-11 11:08 PM
    It really depends on how solid it is when we get it. With a new OS I am concerned, I have been through this before and it hasn't always gone well.

If its smooth out of the box with minimal issues we're probably looking at 30-45 days. 30 if its really fast tracked. If we have to go through more than 3 SW updates in the field then we're most likely outside of the 45 days and if we have to do hardware swaps and things like that then we're in Bold 9000 territory where it took four months to get it out after a couple hardware swaps and endless SW updates....

9700 went a little smoother. 9800 was a complete testing flop because it came out with quite a few problems but it was tested completely off grid because RIM was trying to take the Apple approach to testing and it failed miserably. In the end more devices came to the field (after units went on sale) and the testers began testing all the SW updates that came out. I don't think we'll go down that road again as it looked bad for everyone.

PG
    05-03-11 11:18 PM
    It really depends on how solid it is when we get it. With a new OS I am concerned, I have been through this before and it hasn't always gone well.

If its smooth out of the box with minimal issues we're probably looking at 30-45 days. 30 if its really fast tracked. If we have to go through more than 3 SW updates in the field then we're most likely outside of the 45 days and if we have to do hardware swaps and things like that then we're in Bold 9000 territory where it took four months to get it out after a couple
    hardware swaps and endless SW updates....

9700 went a little smoother. 9800 was a complete testing flop because it came out with quite a few problems but it was tested completely off grid because RIM was trying to take the Apple approach to testing and it failed miserably. In the end more devices came to the field (after units went on sale) and the testers began testing all the SW updates that came out. I don't think we'll go down that road again as it looked bad for everyone.

PG
    Thanks for all the info! Considering OS 7 is a minor upgrade to OS 6 hopefully testing goes smoothly from the videos released the device has not looked bugy

05-03-11 11:21 PM
    I am really hopeful as well!

I can't wait to get my hands on it!!!!

PG
    05-03-11 11:27 PM
    I am really hopeful as well!

I can't wait to get my hands on it!!!!

PG
    What's the diffrence between the device being in the labs vs field tested?

05-03-11 11:29 PM
    What's the diffrence between the device being in the labs vs field tested?

Most products from food to electronics need to be tested by prospective end users to see how it "plays" in real life. Lab tests often overlook design flaws as well as hardware/software glitches that lab people don't think about. Look at all the testing MS does, even in the field, and they often find,within a week of official release they have to do an upgrade.

...mike
    05-04-11 12:25 AM
    The main features I want are UMA (a must since we travel overseas a few times a year) and easy tethering via BB Desktop Mgr. Both these features are unique to TMobile in the U.S. ATT does not have UMA and I have read they disable tethering on their ver. of DT Mgr.
    TM has had UMA on all their BB models since the 8320 and easy tethering via DT Mgr. for about 2 years.

...mike
    05-04-11 12:30 AM
    sigh....such a great phone, but the tmo and att merger really discourages me from getting it.
    05-04-11 12:41 AM
    Vodafone NL are saying 27th of May for release, which is pretty quick.
    05-04-11 04:39 PM
    Do u have a link?

05-04-11 05:00 PM
    the software looks pretty damn smooth in the video they posted on engadget. how much more work do they need to do on it before it's ready for release? it already looks better than 6.0 on the 9700 -- especially the browser.
    Amen to that.
    05-04-11 05:13 PM
    You better give me the source o.O

Ik wil dat ding hebben ;o
    05-04-11 05:34 PM
    The main features I want are UMA (a must since we travel overseas a few times a year) and easy tethering via BB Desktop Mgr. Both these features are unique to TMobile in the U.S. ATT does not have UMA and I have read they disable tethering on their ver. of DT Mgr.
    TM has had UMA on all their BB models since the 8320 and easy tethering via DT Mgr. for about 2 years.

...mike
    FYI: You can tether on AT&T with DM. Of course, they want you to pay for it, but in DM 6 with a Torch, the setting is there to use. I haven't actually used it, though. Might test it out just to see if it works.

True on the UMA, though.
    05-04-11 06:00 PM
    Am I the only pessimist here that thinks we will not see this device till the holiday season?
    05-04-11 06:22 PM
343 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD