Check for hidden vendor.xml file at

[Local Drive]:\users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\Blackberry\Loader XML\vendor.xml

You will have to enable the option 'Show hidden files' on explorer.

Hope this should work
    11-22-11 12:47 AM
    For People having problems, you need to find that second "vendor.xml" file.

You may have to open the Windows Control Panel on your computer,,,Click "Folder Options",,, and tic the box for "Show Hidden Files".

Then you can search for both of the "vendor.xml. Files per the post above this one.

BlackBerry 9900 & Tapatalk
    Last edited by olblueyez; 11-22-11 at 06:20 AM.
    11-22-11 06:18 AM
    Hi there. I wait to receive my bold 9900 this afternoon but it's a qwertz phone from t-mobile (most propably German). If I upgrade the firmware to .540 (from Orange Romania or Turkcel) the keyboard will remain qwertz or the new software will alter the keyboard logical map to a qwerty ?
    11-22-11 06:28 AM
    installed .540 2 days ago.

did some batt pulls and today its dropping 10% per hour with very light use.

WIFI, 3G on. GPS, bluet, off. Did only some twitter and facebook checkings. No emails, phonecalls or texts.

what can i do to improve the batterylife? brightness and fade out are also set to the minimum.

more batterypulls? other settings? or is this just it?
    11-22-11 06:39 AM
    installed .540 2 days ago.

did some batt pulls and today its dropping 10% per hour with very light use.

WIFI, 3G on. GPS, bluet, off. Did only some twitter and facebook checkings. No emails, phonecalls or texts.

what can i do to improve the batterylife? brightness and fade out are also set to the minimum.

more batterypulls? other settings? or is this just it?
    Have you tried to check what apps are running in the background? Do you close your apps properly, or do you just "escape"? Press and hold the menu button until you see the apps running in your device. If you close your apps properly, you would see only the 5 BB icons: home,phone, browser, bbm and message icons. If you see more, you might not have closed those apps properly and they are draining your battery. Also, how often did you set twitter and fb to look for updates? the more frequent they search for updates, the more they spend power.

You have wifi on? do you have wifi manager that automatically switches your wifi connection off when you are out of range? if you are out of range, and your wifi is on, wifi will continuously search for a connection and this will drain your battery, etc. etc....SAme with network coverage...

Otherwise, pls give the OS some time to settle in as other posters suggest. It has been only two days....
    11-22-11 08:08 AM
    I experienced this after installing one of Max'sHybrids on my PC. Apparently even after uninstalling the hybrid, it leaves trace in the system's registry, making the PC/AppLoader think that is the OS you want to install.

Here is what I do.

1. Install the MaxHybrid (or whatever current OS you are on now on the Bold, either .440 or the one prior)
    2. Install the new OS (in this case 5.0.0.540)
    3. Copy the newly installed OS folder to the desktop (program files x86>common files>RIM>shared>loader files)
    4. Delete the contents from the previous OS folder
    5. Drag the contents from the new OS folder on the desktop to the old OS folder in the Shared folder.
    6. Uninstall the NEW OS from your PC (5.0.0.540)
    7. Run AppLoader once all is completed.

Basically you are tricking AppLoader to see your new OS files, buried in the old OS's folder. I've done that ever since I had the error of AppLoader not picking up my new OS and it has worked perfectly.
    I had .440 and wanted to upgrate to .540 - all of the usual tricks like deleting all vendor.xml files did not solve the problem. Desktop manager would not detect upgrade and loader.exe would only recognize installed 3rd apps. The only thing that worked was this neat little trick above - Thanks!!!
    11-22-11 08:38 PM
    I had .440 and wanted to upgrate to .540 - all of the usual tricks like deleting all vendor.xml files did not solve the problem. Desktop manager would not detect upgrade and loader.exe would only recognize installed 3rd apps. The only thing that worked was this neat little trick above - Thanks!!!
    Glad to hear it worked! AppLoader/DM can be a funny program sometimes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-11 09:38 PM
    540 appears to have cured the random problem of my phone answering in speaker mode. I upgraded the earliest this file was available. I've had hundreds of calls during this period, not 1 triggered the speaker phone. All other functions apper to be as good or better than 503. I'm a happy camper.
    11-22-11 10:04 PM
    What am I doing wrong? When I attempt to upgrade to this OS, after running the downloaded file, and deleting the vendor.xml file, and plugging in my BB 9900...it goes through the motions and then says "no action required"....and doesn't upgrade the OS.

I have tried three times with the same result. Any thoughts?
    11-22-11 10:46 PM
    Check that DM is not set to "check for upgrades" and disconnect the PC from the internet before you launch the upgrade. Somehow, there is creation of another vendor file at the last minute which is impossible to find. For me, each time, an OS upgrade is a MAJOR upheaval. Multiple reboots of PC, BB, etc. Some guys have all the luck I guess, therefore some don't. No rational explanation.
    thedorje likes this.
    11-23-11 01:18 AM
    Do I have to wipe my device with BBSAK before I install this? Or can I just download, install op laptop and use loader.exe to install this on my device?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm ********...
    Last edited by BarryBaas; 11-23-11 at 03:44 AM.
    11-23-11 01:42 AM
    I must admit that 540 has visible better battery performance!! I had 503 and upgraded to 540 and battery wise I'm feeling finally pleased it does feel bit snappier too, but battery is what I care most atm

11-23-11 04:43 AM
    I work 12 hour + shifts. I charge every second day on 540. Battery problems on the bold 9900 are now a thing of the past. I get far better battery life out of my 9900 than I did on my old curve now. I've had this phone for a couple months now and have had zero problems of any kind other than poor battery life on the original os.

The bold 9900 is the best smart phone on the market hands down. Androids and IPhones aren't even in the same league any more. With over 250 bold 9900s rolled out in our company and dozens of friends with them. I haven't heard of a single person having problems. Good stuff RIM!

BarryBaas likes this.
    11-23-11 05:42 AM
    For me .540 has a better battery life,today I unpluged around 5.00 am I made a call around 30-60 mins ,fb ,social feed , bbm
    ,2 emails,browsing more than 1 hours
    And now is around 9.00 pm I ve got 20 percent of my battery (today on 2G network with a poor signal 3 bars and 1 bar of on wifi) and over all is snappier than my .503

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-23-11 08:14 AM
    Just the usual stuff that I've been removing for years.

Stuff that I never use such as BBM, BB Maps, IM apps, Social Feeds, Games, Help files, unwanted fonts and languages etc.

I realise it's not necessary on newer devices with more memory, and that most of it can be removed from the device, but I've been doing it so long it's just become habit now.

How did you remove unwanted fonts and help files? Sorry if am being ignorant

Must add,

Freaking brilliant new build, battery life, drastically improved for me in comparison to the .474 I was using, even though I must highlight the fact I only installed it last night.

Phill need your expertise here or any other expert around right now, I got 4.5% per hour average discharge rate, charged it 14 hours ago, its been on standby for around 9 hours and the rest is moderate to heavy usage, is that reasonable? I had installed the OS at full charge aswell. Not using wifi, 3G four bars, half hour of a phone call, heavy bbm, 20 or so emails so far...

OR shall I just wait a few more days, let it settle in and then report back? lol
    11-23-11 08:56 AM
    Check for hidden vendor.xml file at

[Local Drive]:\users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\Blackberry\Loader XML\vendor.xml

You will have to enable the option 'Show hidden files' on explorer.

Hope this should work
    Just found that sneaky little file and removed it... VOILA! DM recognizes the software upgrade... Brilliant! Thanks a lot I'm installing now, will post after the update is finished.

EDIT: Finished installing before work today. We'll see she goes!!!
    Last edited by fragment137; 11-23-11 at 02:10 PM.
    11-23-11 10:30 AM
    Ive just upgraded to .540 & lost my OS7 ringtones. Any ideas how I can reload?
    11-23-11 04:10 PM
    Phill need your expertise here or any other expert around right now, I got 4.5% per hour average discharge rate, charged it 14 hours ago, its been on standby for around 9 hours and the rest is moderate to heavy usage, is that reasonable? I had installed the OS at full charge aswell. Not using wifi, 3G four bars, half hour of a phone call, heavy bbm, 20 or so emails so far...

OR shall I just wait a few more days, let it settle in and then report back? lol
    If you are averaging 4.5% for the entire day I'd say that's very good, considering the usage you posted and over 14 hours. That's about the best I've experienced on my Bold with similar usage. I'm satisfied with it

BK_Guji likes this.
    11-23-11 04:53 PM
    How did you remove unwanted fonts and help files? Sorry if am being ignorant
    I manually deleted the cod files from the OS Java folder prior to installing it on my phone.

Alternatively you can use an app like BBHybrids Tool or BB Boss to remove them automatically.

BK_Guji likes this.
    11-23-11 05:14 PM
    Check that DM is not set to "check for upgrades" and disconnect the PC from the internet before you launch the upgrade. Somehow, there is creation of another vendor file at the last minute which is impossible to find. For me, each time, an OS upgrade is a MAJOR upheaval. Multiple reboots of PC, BB, etc. Some guys have all the luck I guess, therefore some don't. No rational explanation.
    Where in DM is this setting? For some reason my OS is not updating to the next version .540.

11-23-11 07:12 PM
    All the best
    11-24-11 12:29 AM
    Just found that sneaky little file and removed it... VOILA! DM recognizes the software upgrade... Brilliant! Thanks a lot I'm installing now, will post after the update is finished.

EDIT: Finished installing before work today. We'll see she goes!!!
    All the best
    11-24-11 12:30 AM
    Ive just upgraded to .540 & lost my OS7 ringtones. Any ideas how I can reload?
    Goto Option, Sounds and Ring Tones, Phone Ring Tones and select dropdown menu under ' Ring Tone:' and select last option 'All Alerts...'

11-24-11 12:46 AM
    I installed .540 via Orange UK two days ago and it's had a really negative impact on my battery life. After 6 hours of moderate use from fully charged I'm down to 54%, and am not sure whether it's going to make it theough the day. My previous OS (can't rember which version) lasted a day and a half. It seems as though people are experiencing better battery life with .540, so I wondered if I'm the only one for whom it's worse?

I doubt this has anything to do with anything, but the only think I can see that I may have done differently to others was to instal the new version via the wireless software update on the phone, rather than via Desktop Manager, but mention this only as a possible point of difference to others, rather than as an explanation (as I assume it matters not).

Thanks for any help, or for letting me know whether or not I'm the only one suffering!

11-24-11 06:26 AM
    I manually deleted the cod files from the OS Java folder prior to installing it on my phone.

Alternatively you can use an app like BBHybrids Tool or BB Boss to remove them automatically.

Oh right, thanks for that Phill!
    11-24-11 07:14 AM
233 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD