Updated from purchased 296 yesterday to 474. Using Meterberry to check today, battery life is much much better
    Apparently huge improvement, will check carefully tomorrow when I am in different location.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-11 01:24 PM
    Thanks again UrbanGlowCam. I think I will go for .474 then. Afterall it is an upgrade to .440.

Tintin

Honestly, I haven't had any personal experience with either since I'm on a 9930 and the latest OS for it is 374.

But I'm in a BBM group with other experienced users, many on 9900s. With everything I've heard from them and many others on this forum, I can say that I've heard great things about both. Most 9900 users I know have updated to 474 and are really happy. They say its battery is noticeably improved which is great.

UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    11-08-11 02:36 PM
    Thanks again UrbanGlowCam. I think I will go for .474 then. Afterall it is an upgrade to .440.
    Plus you can always downgrade so no big deal
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    11-08-11 02:39 PM
    Please am confused, am getting the 9900 in 6 days but some people were saying that the 9900 i not loud, they said the maximum volume ut can go is 50% even though the phone telling you it is 100% this is an issue in .261 and older OS version, which OS version fixed this problem ?

And is it .474 that changed the H+ to 4G ?

Thanks
    I MAY have heard of this issue in earlier builds, but I would imagine it is non existant anymore since there are no complaints.

On my 9930 with 374 I have no problem with the volume and it sounds great. Also, while listening to music for example, you can turn on AUDIO BOOST which will actually increase the volume more.

I don't know how loud you would personally like it but I would try to test one in person before you make the purchase. I feel you won't be disappointed.
    11-08-11 03:22 PM
    I personally have never had a problem with the volume. It always increased up to 100%, and 100% is pretty damn loud. Louder than my 9000 was

UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    11-08-11 03:26 PM
    Amazing! From 95+ two days ago, to 15% now when I'm writing this post with moderate -> heavy .... Thank you RIM for .474
    11-08-11 04:33 PM
    And is it .474 that changed the H+ to 4G ?

Thanks
    No OS version will change the network symbol, that is controlled by your device's Vendor ID

If your 9900 shows 3G, H+ or 4G on day 1... it will always show that symbol.

11-08-11 04:50 PM
    Good to hear, I've been experiencing a lot of unexplained battery drain. I don't have meterbattery but it seems close to 3-5 % an hour, idle.

Ok. maybe my observations would help.

(And I really dislike going on 2G, why buy a 3G phone when you're just going to put it on EDGE? I have decided to stick to 2G and 3G and just live with it - most of the time)

At home (with fairly strong but not excellent signals):

When I was on 261, I could go on idle on 2G and lose less than 1% per hour. Yup. But the moment I turn on 3G, it will drain 4-5%/hour on idle. On heavy use and 3g, flat dead in 4-5 hours.

Now on 474, I will still lose 4-5%/hour on light usage when at home on 3G. I used to get this on idle with 261.

At the office (with many walls upon walls where my other phone on another carrier has no signals):

I will lose up to 25% per hour not doing anything because it just keeps endlessly trying to find a signal. Whether on 261 or 474.

So in this scenario putting it on EDGE will be wise and even OS 999 wouldn't help.

11-08-11 08:49 PM
    Didn't need to manually update. Did on-device OTA update. Weird. Didn't know there is one avaliable to Telstra 9900.
    11-08-11 10:39 PM
    Ok .. Update on battery on second day with 474. Using Meterberry as guage , battery life is showing double previous OS (296) . Hourly idle usage is constant 2%. Towards end of light day with regular email checking, couple of calls, some browsing... Meterberry is showing 75% this now means I will get comfortably through a day without recharge even with heavy usage for me. This is all I need so am very pleased with this release. Previous release was showing idle usage of 5% for some reason which I could not explain and phone needed recharge before end of day

11-09-11 01:45 PM
    One other very noticable effect of this release to me is much faster browsing with both bb browser and opera, over wifi or 3G. I have the phone setting to 2G or 3G and this has not impacted battery performance so far

11-09-11 01:50 PM
    Hi guys, I hate to ask these question. First I did read everything and search too. I been installing new OS for a while now. I even got the 9900 .439 to work. However I can not get .474 to work. Yes i deleted the vendor.xml in one spot and is not any where else. I used the cmd prompt to look and no other Vendor.xml. I even download the script that takes it all out. BTW the script said cannot find Vendor.xml. But still my loader just won't load???

What did I do wrong??? BTW I don't have DM anymore too. I know your going to say there is still a vendor file on my PC. OK, where is the best next place to go look. Thanks.
    Last edited by rcjay; 11-09-11 at 02:02 PM.
    11-09-11 01:58 PM
    OK so I've found an OS PC that I can use - how do I install the OS on to my berry?

I keep getting a problem on 2 separate laptops saying that it fails to open in the temp folder.

Anybody else experienced this?
    Last edited by 1DJC; 11-09-11 at 03:18 PM.
    11-09-11 03:04 PM
    OK so I've found an OS PC that I can use - how do I install the OS on to my berry?

I keep getting a problem on 2 separate laptops saying that it fails to open in the temp folder.

Anybody else experienced this?
    Can you be a little more specific? What fails to open in the temp folder?
    11-09-11 03:57 PM
    When I try and install/open the .exe file it installs for 2 blackberry loader screen then fails
    11-09-11 03:59 PM
    1stly, Anyone here using the RSS Feeds in Social Feeds?
    Did you realise that when you select one feed, it will get mixed up?
    ie. When u select crackberry feed, it'll mixed up with other feeds.

2ndly, when u press the "SYM" button in bbm, sms etc, the letter "W" is invisible.

Is it me or everyone have it?
    11-09-11 04:53 PM
    When I try and install/open the .exe file it installs for 2 blackberry loader screen then fails
    I'm having trouble understanding what you mean. Are you trying to install the 7.0.0.474 software through the .exe file you mean?

If it's giving you an error just trying to install that then you might have a bad/corrupt file. I think you should try to download it again and install it.
    11-09-11 11:12 PM
    I put .474 on my att 9900 today and I gotta say it's a huge improvement over the crud att spent an extra 5 months putting out. This is not a subtle difference. The UI is super smooth like it should be, the data speeds are much faster, and the data connection isn't choppy like the 9810 and my 9900 were on the dog pooop firmware att put out. We have both phones running WIND mobile operating systems now and my 9900 is what I would call perfect. Karens 9810, although much improved over the official .261 att crud is still a tad choppy but she has the second to last WIND Mobile 9810 OS.

I say if you feel like your phone isn't living up to expectations then this is definitely worth a try.

11-09-11 11:46 PM
    Ok. maybe my observations would help.

(And I really dislike going on 2G, why buy a 3G phone when you're just going to put it on EDGE? I have decided to stick to 2G and 3G and just live with it - most of the time)

At home (with fairly strong but not excellent signals):

When I was on 261, I could go on idle on 2G and lose less than 1% per hour. Yup. But the moment I turn on 3G, it will drain 4-5%/hour on idle. On heavy use and 3g, flat dead in 4-5 hours.

Now on 474, I will still lose 4-5%/hour on light usage when at home on 3G. I used to get this on idle with 261.

At the office (with many walls upon walls where my other phone on another carrier has no signals):

I will lose up to 25% per hour not doing anything because it just keeps endlessly trying to find a signal. Whether on 261 or 474.

So in this scenario putting it on EDGE will be wise and even OS 999 wouldn't help.

I never said anything about putting it on 2G. And I've been getting very erratic battery behavior today. I'm hoping it's not the phone or battery and just an OS build, I can't seem to get an accurate battery reading. The closest to accurate is right after a battery pull or alt shift del. And it's a new battery, almost 2 days old, but the battery itself will need some time to calibrate.

11-10-11 12:36 AM
    1stly, Anyone here using the RSS Feeds in Social Feeds?
    Did you realise that when you select one feed, it will get mixed up?
    ie. When u select crackberry feed, it'll mixed up with other feeds.

2ndly, when u press the "SYM" button in bbm, sms etc, the letter "W" is invisible.

Is it me or everyone have it?
    What did you think a 'feed' was?? If you want the individual feed you click on that source and it SHOULD pull up only that feed. I think you should uninstall and reinstall social feeds.

No it's not a known or popular issue, sounds like a bad install. To be safe, if I were you I'd just uninstall the current one, download a fresh install of the OS, install, reboot the computer. Back up phone, wipe with BBsak, install OS on phone, if you experience the same problems, report back and we can possibly offer more assistance.

11-10-11 12:41 AM
    What did you think a 'feed' was?? If you want the individual feed you click on that source and it SHOULD pull up only that feed. I think you should uninstall and reinstall social feeds.

No it's not a known or popular issue, sounds like a bad install. To be safe, if I were you I'd just uninstall the current one, download a fresh install of the OS, install, reboot the computer. Back up phone, wipe with BBsak, install OS on phone, if you experience the same problems, report back and we can possibly offer more assistance.

That's what i'm saying. It should display that feed only, but instead it showed feeds from others. How to reinstall the social feeds?

Bad install? Alright. I'll try to install it again.
    11-10-11 03:42 AM
    .474 installed. No issues, although reading the device information in the early part of the update process seemed to take a bit long. So far everything seems smooth. Will monitor things closely today, especially battery life.
    11-10-11 03:51 AM
    I have been running from 07.30 this morning till now 15.50 so 8hrs with no
    extra charging, bluetooth used, social feeds updating, and my handset still has almost70% battery today. WOW!!!!

LETS HOPE IT ONLY IMPROVES ON FUTURE RELEASES
    11-10-11 09:33 AM
    i have a problem with the OS!

Everytime i reboot my phone, i need to turn on the mobile network manually. Anyone else here with the same issue?
    11-10-11 11:52 AM
    I put .474 on my att 9900 today and I gotta say it's a huge improvement over the crud att spent an extra 5 months putting out. This is not a subtle difference. The UI is super smooth like it should be, the data speeds are much faster, and the data connection isn't choppy like the 9810 and my 9900 were on the dog pooop firmware att put out. We have both phones running WIND mobile operating systems now and my 9900 is what I would call perfect. Karens 9810, although much improved over the official .261 att crud is still a tad choppy but she has the second to last WIND Mobile 9810 OS.

I say if you feel like your phone isn't living up to expectations then this is definitely worth a try.

thats not what are interested in
    we care about the battery life?
    how is it ? is it good ?
    11-10-11 04:04 PM
342 ... 11121314
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD