I know this is a silly question for you, but I thought to ask anyway. Will you please kindly post a step-by-step instructions for doing a full CLEAN install of the full OS? I bought an unbraded 9900 from eBay, and it seems like the seller tried to hack the phone (I see many strange files in the phone). I also tested and deleted tons of apps. So, I like to COMPLETELY wipe the devide (something like formatting the whole hard drive in a PC) and install the .474 OS. I can use BSAK if you recommend, but I need a step-by-step instructions.

Also, I read there are several vendor.htm files to delete. Where can I find them?

Also, long long ago I installed an OS file in my PC for BB 9780. Do I need to remove/uninstall it before installing the new OS for my 9900? How?

Thanks for the help.

Tintin
    11-07-11 01:41 AM
    I know this is a silly question for you, but I thought to ask anyway. Will you please kindly post a step-by-step instructions for doing a full CLEAN install of the full OS? I bought an unbraded 9900 from eBay, and it seems like the seller tried to hack the phone (I see many strange files in the phone). I also tested and deleted tons of apps. So, I like to COMPLETELY wipe the devide (something like formatting the whole hard drive in a PC) and install the .474 OS. I can use BSAK if you recommend, but I need a step-by-step instructions.

Also, I read there are several vendor.htm files to delete. Where can I find them?

Also, long long ago I installed an OS file in my PC for BB 9780. Do I need to remove/uninstall it before installing the new OS for my 9900? How?

Thanks for the help.

Tintin
    There are several tutorials online for this. But I use BBSAK to wipe the phone and it might be a good idea if you are afraid of what is loaded on it. If you don't want to wipe just skip step 3-4. Your 9780 software will not affect any device but a 9780 when plugged in. So your 9900 will not try to load it or anything. I can roughly go over what you want to do.

Prior to this make sure you download the latest version of BBSAK at BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife and the full OS you would like to load (in this case .474). Also, have the latest version of BlackBerry Desktop Manager BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop Software

Have all software installed before starting and make sure the vendor.xml file is deleted from (default) folder C:/Program Files/Common/Research in Motion/Loader Files/(OS version)/

1. Backup all of your content from the 9900 you want either through BlackBerry Protect (over the cloud), or BlackBerry Desktop Manager (locally on your computer).
    2. Once you are sure you backed up your files to the point they can easily be restored, plug your 9900 to your computer through USB.
    3. Load BBSAK and use the wipe feature.
    4. Allow it to go through the process of wiping and rebooting the phone. This should not take more than 4-5 minutes. If there are any issues you will likely need to restart either the computer or BB through battery pull. You should boot to a white screen with a 507 error code.
    5. Make sure the 9900 is plugged into the computer and run Loader.exe. The default folder for this is C:/Program Files/Common/Research in Motion/AppLoader/
    6. Go through the process of this making sure your device pin is detected, you select which apps to load, etc.
    7. Once the process begins it should take between 10-20 minutes. Eventually the device will begin to boot to the main screen.
    8. You should have a successful install at this point. All that is left to do is restore the data you backed up in step 1 either through DM or with BB Protect.

At this point you should be about complete and using the device as you'd like.

Hope this helps and it works out for you.
    Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 11-07-11 at 03:31 AM.
    11-07-11 03:28 AM
    After 3 days went back to .440. This build was, for me, battery killer!
    Just my 2 cents.
    11-07-11 08:47 AM
    Today I have been having data issues. It does not seem to be a carrier issue, as some sites work on data in the browser. Also, I get all my emails and bbms.

I am getting this error: "The requested URL could not be retrieved"

Also some of my apps using data are not working. I'm going to try reloading the software to see if that fixes it. I am with Rogers.

Edit: just read that many people are having some BIS errors randomly, so not an OS problem. Saves me some time reloading the OS haha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by MikeFromCanada; 11-07-11 at 10:48 AM.
    11-07-11 10:25 AM
    This is great, UrbanGlowCam. Thank you so much.

I was reading that there are many vendor.xml files for OS7 and all of them must be deleted for a new OS install. Any thought on this?

I am going to do this in this weekend, perhaps on Friday evening.

Tintin

There are several tutorials online for this. But I use BBSAK to wipe the phone and it might be a good idea if you are afraid of what is loaded on it. If you don't want to wipe just skip step 3-4. Your 9780 software will not affect any device but a 9780 when plugged in. So your 9900 will not try to load it or anything. I can roughly go over what you want to do.

Prior to this make sure you download the latest version of BBSAK at BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife and the full OS you would like to load (in this case .474). Also, have the latest version of BlackBerry Desktop Manager BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop Software

Have all software installed before starting and make sure the vendor.xml file is deleted from (default) folder C:/Program Files/Common/Research in Motion/Loader Files/(OS version)/

1. Backup all of your content from the 9900 you want either through BlackBerry Protect (over the cloud), or BlackBerry Desktop Manager (locally on your computer).
    2. Once you are sure you backed up your files to the point they can easily be restored, plug your 9900 to your computer through USB.
    3. Load BBSAK and use the wipe feature.
    4. Allow it to go through the process of wiping and rebooting the phone. This should not take more than 4-5 minutes. If there are any issues you will likely need to restart either the computer or BB through battery pull. You should boot to a white screen with a 507 error code.
    5. Make sure the 9900 is plugged into the computer and run Loader.exe. The default folder for this is C:/Program Files/Common/Research in Motion/AppLoader/
    6. Go through the process of this making sure your device pin is detected, you select which apps to load, etc.
    7. Once the process begins it should take between 10-20 minutes. Eventually the device will begin to boot to the main screen.
    8. You should have a successful install at this point. All that is left to do is restore the data you backed up in step 1 either through DM or with BB Protect.

At this point you should be about complete and using the device as you'd like.

Hope this helps and it works out for you.
    11-07-11 01:09 PM
    This is great, UrbanGlowCam. Thank you so much.

I was reading that there are many vendor.xml files for OS7 and all of them must be deleted for a new OS install. Any thought on this?

I am going to do this in this weekend, perhaps on Friday evening.

Tintin
    You got it! I've never had to deal with deleting multiple vendor.xml but if needed, refer to this thread

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...issues-657276/

It includes a patch that deletes any vendor file on your hard drive.

Good luck!
    tintin123456 and daveshiz like this.
    11-07-11 01:39 PM
    Hi, looking for some help/advice.

I know this is not the right location for this question but I have posted in other threads with no response and I have done hours of searching on google trying to find a solution to this with no luck. Nothing seems to work.

I have a T-Mobile Bold 9900 and I really want to upgrade from the stock OS because as we all know the stock OS batt life is horrible.

Windows 7 Ultimate PC
    Desktop Manager version 6.1.0 B34
    Bold 9900 OS 7.0.0.250

No matter what I do, installing the DM, uninstalling drivers, updating drivers, reinstalling drivers, doing a batter pull while plugged in, doing a restart and battery pull and restart before plugging in, and any and all combination of the above plus all the other "solutions" I have tried, I cannot get my PC to make a connection with my 9900. The furthest I have gotten is a continual "connecting" wheel in the DM, and even that happens only on rare occasions. Usually the DM opens upon connecting the phone, only for nothing else to happen beyond that.

Again I apologize for detracting from the thread but I have tried everything else and this is an active thread and somewhat pertinent in that the reason I need this solved is so I can do my OS upgrade.

Help, please.

Thank you.
    11-07-11 03:19 PM
    Hi, looking for some help/advice.

I know this is not the right location for this question but I have posted in other threads with no response and I have done hours of searching on google trying to find a solution to this with no luck. Nothing seems to work.

I have a T-Mobile Bold 9900 and I really want to upgrade from the stock OS because as we all know the stock OS batt life is horrible.

Windows 7 Ultimate PC
    Desktop Manager version 6.1.0 B34
    Bold 9900 OS 7.0.0.250

No matter what I do, installing the DM, uninstalling drivers, updating drivers, reinstalling drivers, doing a batter pull while plugged in, doing a restart and battery pull and restart before plugging in, and any and all combination of the above plus all the other "solutions" I have tried, I cannot get my PC to make a connection with my 9900. The furthest I have gotten is a continual "connecting" wheel in the DM, and even that happens only on rare occasions. Usually the DM opens upon connecting the phone, only for nothing else to happen beyond that.

Again I apologize for detracting from the thread but I have tried everything else and this is an active thread and somewhat pertinent in that the reason I need this solved is so I can do my OS upgrade.

Help, please.

Thank you.
    That's strange. Does the USB port even work? If you plug your 9900 with USB to your computer does it recognize the connection? Does it begin installing drivers for it? Does the 9900 screen give you the option of syncing it when the connection is made? Can you use the 9900 as a mass storage device and drag/drop files into it?
    11-07-11 03:30 PM
    You could try finding the release of desktop manager 7 on the forum. Install
    That and try to install the OS.

11-07-11 03:37 PM
    Yes to all of those, UrbanGlowCam. Thanks for the response.

I will try that as soon as I get a reliable internet connection, ifraser. Thanks for the suggestion.
    11-07-11 03:52 PM
    I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem, as I've read through this thread and did a search and was unable to find anything. Since upgrading to .474 from the stock OS, I can't seem to find Blackberry App World, even though I supposedly had it checked when I installed the new OS through Loader.

Does anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: I just checked and it appears that it's in my Application Management window as 3.0.1.29, but I can't find it anywhere in the OS apart from that, and I've also checked hidden icons and did a universal search.
    Last edited by daytrips; 11-07-11 at 05:07 PM.
    11-07-11 05:00 PM
    You could try finding the release of desktop manager 7 on the forum. Install
    That and try to install the OS.
    You COULD try this but I feel like the DM7 beta is not as stable as the latest DM6 official. You could try uninstalling DM6, then reDOWNLOADING the dm6 executable installation file and install from there. You could have a corrupt/incomplete software but I doubt it.

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem, as I've read through this thread and did a search and was unable to find anything. Since upgrading to .474 from the stock OS, I can't seem to find Blackberry App World, even though I supposedly had it checked when I installed the new OS through Loader.

Does anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: I just checked and it appears that it's in my Application Management window as 3.0.1.29, but I can't find it anywhere in the OS apart from that, and I've also checked hidden icons and did a universal search.
    I would try uninstalling app world from the Options > Device > Application Management menu. Reboot if it prompts you and then navigate your browser to

http://www.blackberry.com/appworld/

and install. Again, if you are prompted to reboot do so.
    11-07-11 05:14 PM
    I've now been running 474 since the day after it leaked. The first few days my battery life was extremely variable. But now, after about 12 hours off the charger and reasonable use (not heavy use, but lots of reading emails, some texts, browsing quite often. some sending of emails), MeterBerry is telling me I'm still at 78%.

To me, that is on par with what I would often see on my 9700. Note that I always have wifi and bluetooth enabled, and I never configure my 9900 for 2G only.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    11-07-11 06:02 PM
    I've now been running 474 since the day after it leaked. The first few days my battery life was extremely variable. But now, after about 12 hours off the charger and reasonable use (not heavy use, but lots of reading emails, some texts, browsing quite often. some sending of emails), MeterBerry is telling me I'm still at 78%.

To me, that is on par with what I would often see on my 9700. Note that I always have wifi and bluetooth enabled, and I never configure my 9900 for 2G only.
    This sound's amazing. I can't wait until a similar build leaks for the 9930. I have heard a lot of others confirm the same with their 9900s on 474.
    11-07-11 06:17 PM
    This sound's amazing. I can't wait until a similar build leaks for the 9930. I have heard a lot of others confirm the same with their 9900s on 474.
    If you have the 9930, make sure you turn off the global option (when global mode is enabled it turns on the 2nd radio which is used for GSM). This is a total waste of battery power when you're in your home country and have native EVO signal.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    11-07-11 06:59 PM
    If you have the 9930, make sure you turn off the global option (when global mode is enabled it turns on the 2nd radio which is used for GSM). This is a total waste of battery power when you're in your home country and have native EVO signal.
    I actually did that earlier today after all of the discussion. I can't believe I didn't think of that before. It's still early to tell but my battery has been excellent today after that. Thanks for the headsup though!
    11-07-11 07:03 PM
    Has anyone installed this OS on the Verizon 9930? If so, how is battery life? How about signal fluxuation? Does the phone freeze or when on the web does it freeze?
    11-07-11 07:33 PM
    Has anyone installed this OS on the Verizon 9930? If so, how is battery life? How about signal fluxuation? Does the phone freeze or when on the web does it freeze?
    This software only supports the 9900. The latest 9930 build available is .374 from Verizon officially.
    11-07-11 07:39 PM
    Thanks again, UrbanGlowCam. You are indded the greast expert. One last question for you -- which OS version would you recommend .440 or .474? I read that AT&T relased their 9900 with OS version .440. Do you think .440 is more stable or have better battery life or reception or anything better than .474?

Tintin

You got it! I've never had to deal with deleting multiple vendor.xml but if needed, refer to this thread

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...issues-657276/

It includes a patch that deletes any vendor file on your hard drive.

Good luck!
    11-07-11 10:58 PM
    Thanks again, UrbanGlowCam. You are indded the greast expert. One last question for you -- which OS version would you recommend .440 or .474? I read that AT&T relased their 9900 with OS version .440. Do you think .440 is more stable or have better battery life or reception or anything better than .474?

Tintin
    Honestly, I haven't had any personal experience with either since I'm on a 9930 and the latest OS for it is 374.

But I'm in a BBM group with other experienced users, many on 9900s. With everything I've heard from them and many others on this forum, I can say that I've heard great things about both. Most 9900 users I know have updated to 474 and are really happy. They say its battery is noticeably improved which is great.

tintin123456 likes this.
    11-08-11 03:14 AM
    thanks for this post and its comments!

went from bb9000 (it broke and went through the repair return repair return i sold it cycle) to iPhone to bb9900. great phone except the battery. decided to not encase it (oops dropped it after a week - slid off the table while on top of the not very nice and tight oem case) and now have a small nick at the upper right corner so decided to get an otter box. very nice case - but a hassle to take out the battery.

i've had extra batteries on all my past smartphones but with the otterbox, it didn't seem the better option. (bought one of those attach to the side battery things - for emergencies).

so - i've been looking at crack berry for weeks upon weeks trying to find a solution to the battery.

I'm a heavy user and i can let it go flat in 5 hours (on 261). did wipe, reinstall, remove social feeds, brightness at 10%, fb and twitter don't refresh, do everything and anything suggested - no dice.

after all the posts and comments on this thread i borrowed a friend's netbook (I'm a mac user) and upgraded to 474, following everything clearly on this thread.

conclusion:

SO FAR - after a day, my 9900 went 5 hours of heavy use and it is at 60%.

on 3g.

so if you haven't tried it, i suggest you do.

i need to go back and posts thanks thanks thanks to everyone now.
    lostOzone likes this.
    11-08-11 05:49 AM
    I do like OS 474 but there is an issue when I create a new folder and I move an app in there: The folder appears twice on my screen. It has the same name and apps in it as the one I created. When I delete one of these folders it remains on the screen and even does�t disappears when I do a reboot, only when I hide this folder...

Had this bug also with .439.

And a few app world bugs, but I guess this is app world and not OS related.

Apart from that I'm pretty happy with my phone
    11-08-11 09:28 AM
    thanks for this post and its comments!

went from bb9000 (it broke and went through the repair return repair return i sold it cycle) to iPhone to bb9900. great phone except the battery. decided to not encase it (oops dropped it after a week - slid off the table while on top of the not very nice and tight oem case) and now have a small nick at the upper right corner so decided to get an otter box. very nice case - but a hassle to take out the battery.

i've had extra batteries on all my past smartphones but with the otterbox, it didn't seem the better option. (bought one of those attach to the side battery things - for emergencies).

so - i've been looking at crack berry for weeks upon weeks trying to find a solution to the battery.

I'm a heavy user and i can let it go flat in 5 hours (on 261). did wipe, reinstall, remove social feeds, brightness at 10%, fb and twitter don't refresh, do everything and anything suggested - no dice.

after all the posts and comments on this thread i borrowed a friend's netbook (I'm a mac user) and upgraded to 474, following everything clearly on this thread.

conclusion:

SO FAR - after a day, my 9900 went 5 hours of heavy use and it is at 60%.

on 3g.

so if you haven't tried it, i suggest you do.

i need to go back and posts thanks thanks thanks to everyone now.
    Good to hear, I've been experiencing a lot of unexplained battery drain. I don't have meterbattery but it seems close to 3-5 % an hour, idle.

11-08-11 09:30 AM
    Please am confused, am getting the 9900 in 6 days but some people were saying that the 9900 i not loud, they said the maximum volume ut can go is 50% even though the phone telling you it is 100% this is an issue in .261 and older OS version, which OS version fixed this problem ?

And is it .474 that changed the H+ to 4G ?

Thanks
    11-08-11 12:32 PM
342 ... 1011121314
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD