Just messing around in the about device and it now shows an acknowledge for "the android open source project"

What's the deal with this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-11 06:04 PM
    Even my 353 OS has the same acknowledgement...dunno what it means though.
    10-08-11 06:09 PM
    Yes, it's also in .353 in the about. I assume they may start allowing Android based apps like on the PB?

10-08-11 08:55 PM
    I don't think the Android apps will run on 99xx. However, the code base for Android is used to polish up the OS and that's why the acknowledgement is there.

One reason why the browser is faster also because of the contributions from webkit and Android.
    10-08-11 09:05 PM
    i think it has to do with the java on the phone but im not 100% sure
    10-08-11 09:08 PM
    I don't think the Android apps will run on 99xx. However, the code base for Android is used to polish up the OS and that's why the acknowledgement is there.

One reason why the browser is faster also because of the contributions from webkit and Android.
    More BS here.

What the **** are you talking about the code base for android is used to polish up BBOS?

You do realize that Android is a linux variant (forked off Linux) and the entire core is written in C, right?

Someone needs to stop you from pretending you know something. Last time fnornd tried to defend you by saying "RIM said that the 9900 will not get QNX" but I believe the actual article he is referring to actually stated that RIM announced they will have QNX phones out in 1Q 2012 (Meaning they didn't directly answer the question and instead stated that they will have newer phones coming out with QNX).

Anyways I am tired of reading your misinformation.
    10-08-11 11:38 PM
    More BS here.

What the **** are you talking about the code base for android is used to polish up BBOS?

You do realize that Android is a linux variant (forked off Linux) and the entire core is written in C, right?

Someone needs to stop you from pretending you know something. Last time fnornd tried to defend you by saying "RIM said that the 9900 will not get QNX" but I believe the actual article he is referring to actually stated that RIM announced they will have QNX phones out in 1Q 2012 (Meaning they didn't directly answer the question and instead stated that they will have newer phones coming out with QNX).

wow, wasn't that a lil harsh, how would you explain the android acknowledgment then oh so smart one
    10-09-11 10:11 AM
    Yeah... a lot of angst in that post.
    10-09-11 10:15 AM
    i check and it is in the 9810 as well, must have something to do more with os 7 than a specif device
    10-09-11 10:17 AM
    More BS here.

I agree with you, yes the Android is not based on Java, but it has something called Java piping.

Hay do you know anything about Java piping system? Java piping codes works on BOTH Androids and Blackberry. Oh by the way, I am a UofC double major in Petroleum Geology and Software Engineering. My Software Engineering research sponsorship is provided by RIM!

Try this on your spare time... type:
    Java -jar | net.rim (and pick what ever you like from here RIM Device Java Library: net.rim.device.api.system Class Hierarchy) <--this pipe work on BOTH Androids and BBOS! But the pipe code itself is different on Android. The pipe main frame is exactly the same.

Anyway, no hard feeling... I am almost sure that FULL QNX system will NOT run on Bold 99xxs. However, RIM is working on strip down version of QNX which is like Windows 7 Starter for netbooks. BUT, this strip down model has FAILED during a test run so I think RIM will probably gave up on loading QNX on Bold 99xxs.

Having said that, no I have no idea what RIM is doing and no I have no inside information or I NEVER claim that I am 100% right. RIM surprise everyone the same way Apple Inc. Let me know if I am wrong. Teach me!!
    Last edited by mss-ca; 10-09-11 at 10:35 AM.
    10-09-11 10:22 AM
    I agree with you, yes the Android is not based on Java, but it has something called Java piping.

Hay do you know anything about Java piping system? Java piping codes works on BOTH Androids and Blackberry. Oh by the way, I am a UofC double major in Petroleum Geology and Software Engineering. My Software Engineering research sponsorship is provided by RIM!

Java -jar | net.rim (and pick what ever you like from here RIM Device Java Library: net.rim.device.api.system Class Hierarchy) <--this pipe work on BOTH Androids and BBOS! But the pipe code itself is different on Android. The pipe main frame is exactly the same.

Anyway, no hard feeling... I am almost sure that FULL QNX system will NOT run on Bold 99xxs. However, RIM is working on strip down version of QNX which is like Windows 7 Starter for netbooks. BUT, this strip down model has FAILED during a test run so I think RIM will probably gave up on loading QNX on Bold 99xxs.

Having said that, no I have no idea what RIM is doing and no I have no inside information or I NEVER claim that I am 100% right. RIM surprise everyone the same way Apple Inc. Let me know if I am wrong. Teach me!!
    A: You're a software engineer.
    B: Your degree is more about software DESIGN than it is OPERATING SYSTEMS. This is also worsened by the fact that you're are Petroleum Engineering major, therefore the supplementary courses you take are limited because you have to fulfill two major requirements.
    C: I'm going to remove this part because I shouldn't be sinking to your level.
    That's all I'm going to say on this. Qualifying yourself only makes you look stupid.q
    Last edited by Broly; 10-10-11 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Removed my qualifications that were in retaliation to a post.
    10-10-11 03:26 PM
    Qualifying yourself only makes you look stupid.q
    It actually makes you look stupid for calling him out than he defended himself and now you don't know what to say so your taking personal shots at him... Don't hate on him because he's informed, informed yourself

10-10-11 03:37 PM
    Its pretty sad, but I got nothing useful from this thread since it was pretty much hijacked by broly the hater.....how bout actually spending the time to contribute something rather than tearing someone down??
    10-10-11 04:24 PM
    It actually makes you look stupid for calling him out than he defended himself and now you don't know what to say so your taking personal shots at him... Don't hate on him because he's informed, informed yourself

What are you talking about?

the poster tried to change the argument:

"

"

What does this have to do with "code base" which was a clear reference to the operating system?

What does running a java VM on java object files have to do with anything?

So what it works on both operating systems? To the best of my knowledge, most (if not all) android applications are written in java. THerefore you would NEED the java vm in order to run most apps.

In short, her response had nothing to do with my original statement which criticized the proliferation of misinformation.
    10-10-11 04:27 PM
    Its pretty sad, but I got nothing useful from this thread since it was pretty much hijacked by broly the hater.....how bout actually spending the time to contribute something rather than tearing someone down??
    I'm a hater because I believe in holding others accountable for what they write?

Just asking a legitimate question here. I believe it's in the best interest of all members on this forum to be WELL INFORMED, not MISINFORMED.

That means others must hold themselves accountable, and if they do not... Well others must help them see that due-diligence is required before posting on a forum.

There are lots of people who rely on forum posts to stay informed, and I feel I owe it to those anonymous viewers/cb lurkers to make sure the content they read is indeed accurate.

I'm sorry.
    10-10-11 04:38 PM
    How about we just answer the question and then thread=over.
    10-10-11 04:42 PM
    Who gives a flying **** about the About screen! Jeez! Use the darn phone will ya!
    They were just asking what it was. It's what the forum is for.
    10-10-11 04:53 PM
    It's because of the font used.. sheesh. They use the Japanese Droid Font.

http://twitpic.com/6b4752
    10-10-11 05:31 PM
    It's because of the font used.. sheesh. They use the Japanese Droid Font.

Twitpic - Share photos and videos on Twitter
    Thanks Bla1ze. I never was intending to sound rude but it just bothers me when people habitually give bad information.
    10-10-11 06:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD