So far this os looks fine and ok but one thing is the reception, not stable or consistent , sometime its drop till no service then recover back

12-04-12 06:44 AM
    this os is smooth and solid
    Yes, agree with you.. This OS looks solid, fast n smooth
    12-04-12 01:02 PM
    Has anyone upgraded from .746 and like this OS better?
    12-04-12 02:04 PM
    So far this os looks fine and ok but one thing is the reception, not stable or consistent , sometime its drop till no service then recover back

Replace the .sfi file with .714 or .746, whichever one worked best for you in the past.

Problem solved.
    Qasim Malik likes this.
    12-04-12 02:14 PM
    I went back to .746 because I found an intermittent "bug"... The "escape/back" button would not work about 10% of the time on the first press. I thought it was hardware, but when I went back to .746 the problem went away. Look for this....
    cevag likes this.
    12-04-12 02:52 PM
    Installed and used this new OS for 48 hours. Here are my initial findings:

1) Battery - I don't know what happened here, but the battery life is AMAZING. On 746, I usually drop to 50% by noon. On 794, I am still at 80% at noon. Usage pattern has not changed, app update intervals have not changed, number of apps have not changed.

2) Responsiveness - OS is quicker than previous builds. More stable as well. Memory leak is minimal and OS is still zippy even after 48 hours without a single battery pull.

3) Network - Stable network without any dropped calls or losing data connection.

4) Bugs - No bugs found. Unlike previous poster, I have not had the escape / back button problem. Everything is working well for me.

All in all, one of the best built for the 9900 up-to-date. Highly recommended to update.
    12-04-12 09:55 PM
    THIS!
    Even looking for Vendelete.XML manually doesn't work because apparently "All of them" have been deleted with the Vendelete.exe program. But like I said, this program only works for XP and Win 7. I have Win 8.
    None of my friends use BB and so trying to borrow their laptop would Not work. Besides their internet gets turned off.
    Ummmm.........

So doing a search of your C: drive wont find the vendor.xml file? You can only use a program called vendelete that basically searches your PC and deletes the vendor file? I'm confused because I've never used this program and have been manually searching and deleting the vendor files by hand for the last 8 years I've been using a BB, and have never had an issue with not finding a vendor file.

On a side note,
    Only issue I have with this OS is the wifi signal indicator doesn't report properly. I have full wifi signal(literally sitting 4 feet from my router) or rather should have, but my indicator shows no bars. I can fully surf the web and use BBM with mobile data turned off, so I know my wifi is working and connected, just doesn't show any bars of connectivity on the indicator icon.
    Qasim Malik likes this.
    12-05-12 06:40 AM
    Any OS I've used, I always notice the wifi and mobile signal don't update at once per second. But if they did update once every 5 seconds, it would give me a better status report of the signal. I wonder, maybe it's to conserve battery?

I got the same thing with the wifi signal a few times. I just make sure the BIS icon drops over.
    12-05-12 01:52 PM
    How's the operating temperature? I haven't updated yet because some members reported that the phone operates at a higher temperature than usual compared to 746 or 714
    12-05-12 04:50 PM
    Ummmm.........

So doing a search of your C: drive wont find the vendor.xml file? You can only use a program called vendelete that basically searches your PC and deletes the vendor file? I'm confused because I've never used this program and have been manually searching and deleting the vendor files by hand for the last 8 years I've been using a BB, and have never had an issue with not finding a vendor file.

You are correct sir.
    Vendelete is a special program that helps those that are troubleshooting of not finding a Hidden Vendor File. Keyterm is Hidden. There are usually Two vendor files. When the Vendelete program starts it searches for Vendor.xml, It cannot work properly Unless the user deletes Vendor from the Apploader file first. After the Vendor.xml is deleted from that file, Then you use the Vendelete.exe program to do a preliminary search on the Hidden vendor file. Vendelete would then execute and display "All vendor.xml has been deleted." This clearly meant, at the time, that All Vendeletes' were deleted and that it was time to update the OS. I have used this Vendelete.exe program many times, before I switched to Windows 8. The last time I used Vendelete was when I had Win 7, and I still could not update the OS for the problems that I listed above. I had good luck on the 3rd try , but this time I have followed all of Elite's installing And trouble shooting guide. The computer is not finding any OS update.
    It won't matter if I uninstall, and reinstall, then reboot my PC. I did all of that, and none of it worked.

See this is from Elite's Installing Guide.

Check here first:

64-bit: Computer\C:\Users\{USER NAME}\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML
    32-bit: Computer\C:\Documents and Settings\{USER NAME}\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML
    If Loader still doesn't make new OS available, search PC for "Vendor".

I don't have the option to check the AppData/Roaming...file. I only can search on 32Bit...even though my Laptop is compatible with 64: BIT.
    12-05-12 08:09 PM
    You are correct sir. Vendelete is a special program that helps those that are troubleshooting of not finding a Hidden Vendor File. Keyterm is Hidden. There are usually Two vendor files. When the Vendelete program starts it searches for Vendor.xml, It cannot work properly Unless the user deletes Vendor from the Apploader file first. After the Vendor.xml is deleted from that file, Then you use the Vendelete.exe program to do a preliminary search on the Hidden vendor file. Vendelete would then execute and display "All vendor.xml has been deleted." This clearly meant, at the time, that All Vendeletes' were deleted and that it was time to update the OS. I have used this Vendelete.exe program many times, before I switched to Windows 8. The last time I used Vendelete was when I had Win 7, and I still could not update the OS for the problems that I listed above. I had good luck on the 3rd try , but this time I have followed all of Elite's installing And trouble shooting guide. The computer is not finding any OS update.It won't matter if I uninstall, and reinstall, then reboot my PC. I did all of that, and none of it worked.See this is from Elite's Installing Guide. Check here first:64-bit: Computer\C:\Users\{USER NAME}\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML32-bit: Computer\C:\Documents and Settings\{USER NAME}\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XMLIf Loader still doesn't make new OS available, search PC for "Vendor". I don't have the option to check the AppData/Roaming...file. I only can search on 32Bit...even though my Laptop is compatible with 64: BIT.
    Maybe try uninstalling ALL of the older device software and then downloading Everything Portable from C|Net Download.com. Ensure Show hidden and system files is checked, search for vendor.xml, delete, then try again? Worse case scenario: reinstall windows after formatting the hard drive, or a factory restore if you have a recovery partition/recovery disc set you made.
    12-05-12 09:52 PM
    Easiest solution... try updating your device�s OS using a different PC. Instead of going crazy trying to figure out the problema, install the latest OS in a clean PC.. and see what happens. In particular since you have stated that you have had this issue before.
    I presently use Win 8 and certainly that is NOT a problem.

Good luck!
    12-06-12 05:48 AM
    Lets start this process properly:

Uninstall all BB OS versions you have on your PC, Install to your PC the one you want to install on your phone, then open a folder(any folder will work), press the ALT key(assuming this is how it still works in win8) > Tools > Folder Options > Scroll over to the view tab in the new window that popped up, then scroll down to place a check mark in "show Hidden Files And Folders", click apply.

Now you can view the HIDDEN folder(s) that contains the second vendor file. Do another search of your entire C: drive for vendor.xml(or better yet now you can manually navigate to the location now that you can see the HIDDEN folders).

There is no need for a program that will do what your PC can already do. Yes the program makes it easier, but if its not compatible with win8, its kinda useless at this point. This is how we have been doing it since long before this program, that I honestly didn't even know existed.
    MADBRADNYC and Qasim Malik like this.
    12-06-12 06:36 AM
    This is how we have been doing it since long before this program, that I honestly didn't even know existed.
    +1.
    Also, even though some of the best of the best have verified seeing a secondary additional vendor .xml file, I've yet to encounter one in my years.
    I've downloaded/installed the same OS on different devices where others see one, and I don't. It's like a Phantom Enigma to me...
    It's (1) has always been in the AppLoader folder for me.
    homer1475 likes this.
    12-06-12 07:07 AM
    I've downloaded/installed the same OS on different devices where others see one, and I don't. It's like a Phantom Enigma to me...
    Do you use BBH Tool to shrink your OS prior to installing?
    12-06-12 07:17 AM
    Do you use BBH Tool to shrink your OS prior to installing?
    Nope. Why? There will be a secondary vendor file if BBHT is used?
    12-06-12 07:27 AM
    Nope. Why? There will be a secondary vendor file if BBHT is used?
    No. BBH Tool automatically removes all the vendor.xml files when you shrink. Thought you might be using it, and that's why you haven't noticed the 2nd 'hidden' file. Obviously not though...
    12-06-12 07:33 AM
    No. BBH Tool automatically removes all the vendor.xml files when you shrink. Thought you might be using it, and that's why you haven't noticed the 2nd 'hidden' file. Obviously not though...
    Ahh, Gotcha!
    Nope. Never had that issue.
    12-06-12 07:48 AM
    I successfully did a full java swap with this and the 9930's 7.1.0.755 for base + radio/SFI. Working well for me so far. I tend to like the latest full release or full java swap better than more complicated hybrids, at least when it's working as well as this.

The fundamentals for the process come from discussion in the BL Returns thread.

You need to add two files from this to Platform.alx or inject them manually. The process is simple:

1. Install 9930 OS 7.1.0.649 or 7.1.0.755 (I'm using .755)
    2. Install 9900 OS 7.1.0.746 or 7.1.0.794 (I'm using .794)
    3. Copy all of the files from the 9900 "Java" folder into the 9930 "Java" folder, replacing all of the duplicates. Leave the other files from the 9930 there too.
    4. Add these to the 9930 Platform.alx, mimicking all of the other .cods in the file.
      • net_rim_bb_phone_qchatptt_resources.cod
      • net_rim_bb_virtual_keyboard_layout480x640.cod
    5. Shrink if you care.
    6. Run Loader.

Or the ghetto version of the process:

1,2,3 as above.
    Don't bother adding them to Platform.alx. Just do the java swap and run Loader. After it backs up the phone, wipes it, and loads the new OS, it will reboot. While it's rebooting, Loader will say "reconnecting ... this may take a few minutes" before it tries to reload your data. While it's rebooting ... inject both files using BBHTool. The phone will reboot again, but Loader won't be interrupted ... when the phone finishes rebooting, Loader will detect it and restore your data.

Or at least, that worked for me. I figured the worst case was that Loader would miss it and I'd have to restore using BB DM.
    12-06-12 06:39 PM
    How's the operating temperature? I haven't updated yet because some members reported that the phone operates at a higher temperature than usual compared to 746 or 714
    I found that 746 runs warmer than 714, but the battery consumption doesn't seem to be much different.
    12-06-12 07:12 PM
    Had to go back to .746. This firmware version caused battery leak.
    12-06-12 11:33 PM
    Ok yall, I will try your methods this weekend and will report back.
    12-07-12 01:17 AM
    +1.
    Also, even though some of the best of the best have verified seeing a secondary additional vendor .xml file, I've yet to encounter one in my years.
    It's (1) has always been in the AppLoader folder for me.
    I'm with you on this one Brad. Sometimes I have the second file, sometimes not. I'm not sure what I do different to have the second file or not have the second file. I always delete the first and start loader, if loader tells me there is no new OS, then I know I need to go looking for the second file.

EDIT:
    No I don't use BBHtools either, I hand shrink my OS
    12-07-12 06:25 AM
    Found a troublesome problem with the OS, for anybody using accent in french. Basically before when I would move my trackpad to the left, the 1st letter it would give me was "�" now it's giving me : "e" and if I keep going it's : "�", "�", "�", "�", "�", "�", "�", "E" there is no "�" anymore AT ALL!

The "a" is actually far worst...

KEEP AWAY from this OS.
    12-07-12 07:42 AM
    I just took the plunge and updated my phone this morning. I am on ATT and have had mic issues with other os's. I am in the Philadelphia area. I have made five phone calls this morning with no problems with the mic (fingers crossed). Good luck and I will keep you posted should I encounter any issues.
    12-07-12 08:35 AM
255 ... 34567 ...