Here is the article but note the quotes from the article below...

RIM Warns of More BlackBerry Blues
    more-blackberry-blues-wsj: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

"The company said the bad news will continue through the current quarter, which ends in August, since delays certifying its latest slate of phones mean they won't start coming out until late August, missing an important back-to-school sales season."

"Executives said the pain should end soon, after the company starts releasing a new slate of smartphones from late August, featuring hardware and software upgrades."

"On Thursday, RIM said it won't begin to release interim phones that run on an upgraded version of the old BlackBerry operating system until "very late" in August. That is later than analysts had hoped, and means the devices won't contribute to second-quarter revenue."

"...But RIM isn't expecting to release any QNX-based smartphones until early next year."
    Last edited by Nickerz_BB; 06-18-11 at 01:22 PM.
    06-18-11 01:12 PM
    Maybe if they made an Android phone? Seriously. Imagine a Bold Touch running android.
    [email protected] likes this.
    06-18-11 06:29 PM
    You can't be serious.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-11 04:43 AM
    Maybe if they made an Android phone? Seriously. Imagine a Bold Touch running android.
    Oh holy cow no....not all product lines...maybe as a new line, if at all.
    I would not want RIM to adopt an open source platform. Android is nowhere near certified for use within certain secure environments; Apple is closer.
    06-19-11 05:11 AM
    could the android app layer be used to emulate android?
    06-19-11 05:34 AM
    Who's talking about all the phones? I've always maintained they should continue to produce BES/BIS phones for corporate customers and those consumers for whom BBM or push is so important they are willing to tolerate truncated emails with clipped attachments, the data bottleneck, miserable browser performance, the app desert... These things are going to continue finding it very hard to compete in the consumer space.
    [email protected] likes this.
    06-19-11 12:47 PM
    I'd personally prefer that RIM not become another Android device maker.
    Jo5329 and kbz1960 like this.
    06-19-11 01:03 PM
    I'd personally prefer that RIM not become another Android device maker.
    Why? Do RIM handsets suck? Does Android have some native limitation that makes it undesirable? What is your logic?
    06-19-11 02:23 PM
    I really don't want to sound like a BB you know what rider, but I am glad RIM is not becoming another Android vendor. I really like BBOS and just prefer to go towards BB7 to QNX. I'm tired of Android. That's just me. I know there are a lot of Android lovers out there and that's great. To me, it's getting too out of control with all the redundant handsets coming out. Others will disagree with me and love their custom roms, etc.

I think a reason why I appreciate Blackberrys more is that they build the hardware and OS hand in hand. It allows them to optimize every aspect well. I'm not using the BB6 phone vs current Android phones as a comparison as it's not fair. The last major Blackberry was last August and was a bit outdated at launch. I will wait for BB7 handsets to release and see how they are in comparison to others. The specs look impressive to me and will compare to most Androids out. High res videos of the 9900/9930 on Youtube also look very impressive in motion.
    Jo5329 likes this.
    06-19-11 02:34 PM
    Why? Do RIM handsets suck? Does Android have some native limitation that makes it undesirable? What is your logic?
    Android is great. I just do not think RIM needs it and it does not need RIM.
    06-19-11 02:54 PM
    im doubting that its gonna come out then Why are we getting all these sneek peak videos and why did virgin mobile say its coming SUPER SOON! i think we'll see it by the end of july. Those other guys that say september are plain ******** and obviously dont know how to read!
    06-19-11 03:19 PM
    Android is great. I just do not think RIM needs it and it does not need RIM.
    RIM sees it otherwise. The Playbook was such a (predictably, by anyone with a claim to sentience) commercial disappointment, they are rolling out an Android emulator so people besides blindly loyal BB buttboys can almost justify buying the thing. One can only hope they have one of these seemingly rare moments of semi-lucidity (i.e. slap their foreheads and say DOH!) and figure out this capability would boost handset sales as well. It's about apps. Outside of the core fan base, nobody wants to be the dork with the crippled phone/tablet that has no apps, can't browse worth a damn, won't capably run the sole RDM app anyone bothered to write for it, gets the modestly sized video clip that everyone is laughing about clipped from his email by BIS, etc. Maybe you're right. Maybe RIM doesn't need Android. Maybe they just need a nice funeral.
    06-20-11 10:27 AM
    RIM sees it otherwise. The Playbook was such a (predictably, by anyone with a claim to sentience) commercial disappointment, they are rolling out an Android emulator so people besides blindly loyal BB buttboys can almost justify buying the thing. One can only hope they have one of these seemingly rare moments of semi-lucidity (i.e. slap their foreheads and say DOH!) and figure out this capability would boost handset sales as well. It's about apps. Outside of the core fan base, nobody wants to be the dork with the crippled phone/tablet that has no apps, can't browse worth a damn, won't capably run the sole RDM app anyone bothered to write for it, gets the modestly sized video clip that everyone is laughing about clipped from his email by BIS, etc. Maybe you're right. Maybe RIM doesn't need Android. Maybe they just need a nice funeral.
    This is just patently wrong on so many levels, I don't know where to begin. Your reasoning for the Android player is completely inaccurate. PlayBook sales were the only bright spot in last week's otherwise dreary earnings call. And please don't start on 500,000 units shipped vs. sold - that's how they ALL report sales volumes. The playBook needs a few features, but that's a far cry from crippled. Anybody else feel free to chime in - my head hurts.

Jo5329 likes this.
    06-20-11 10:45 AM
    Imagine a Bold touch running webOS.....THAT's nirvana...and honestly, once RIM releases QNX it's going to feel very close to webOS anyway (tried a Playbook???, it's freaking webOS slightly tweaked).

That's my win-win. Excellent hardware (RIM) and excellent software (HP/webOS).

Oh the joy of that Sorry if anyone disagrees, HUGE fan of RIM, just don't see them making it out of this alive.
    06-20-11 10:51 AM
    Running Android via an emulator is not the same thing as using it as the base level OS.
    06-20-11 03:48 PM
    This is just patently wrong on so many levels, I don't know where to begin. Your reasoning for the Android player is completely inaccurate. PlayBook sales were the only bright spot in last week's otherwise dreary earnings call. And please don't start on 500,000 units shipped vs. sold - that's how they ALL report sales volumes. The playBook needs a few features, but that's a far cry from crippled. Anybody else feel free to chime in - my head hurts.

FAIL

Not true one bit. I assume you've never been a part of those types of calls with business. Shipping and sales are VASTLY different numbers. Chrysler shipped a TON of cars out to dealers, then the dealers sold virtually NONE of them, so much so that the manufacturers had to buy back some inventory. This is fairly recent history. In some cases, the dealers that bought those cars had to CLOSE the DOORS and fold up their tents due to a lack of sales. But Chrysler made their money because the dealer PAID for the car.

Attend a P&L meeting sometime. You'll learn.

And honestly, why the **** would you ship a product that is NOT ready for freaking email!!! EMAIL!!!! The most basic functionality of a BlackBerry and it cannot do it. That they could not (and still haven't, really) shipped a decent email solution to the PlayBook is pathetic.

HUGE fan of RIM. HUGE disappointment from them.
    06-20-11 03:58 PM
    FAIL

Not true one bit. I assume you've never been a part of those types of calls with business. Shipping and sales are VASTLY different numbers. Chrysler shipped a TON of cars out to dealers, then the dealers sold virtually NONE of them, so much so that the manufacturers had to buy back some inventory. This is fairly recent history. In some cases, the dealers that bought those cars had to CLOSE the DOORS and fold up their tents due to a lack of sales. But Chrysler made their money because the dealer PAID for the car.

Attend a P&L meeting sometime. You'll learn.

And honestly, why the **** would you ship a product that is NOT ready for freaking email!!! EMAIL!!!! The most basic functionality of a BlackBerry and it cannot do it. That they could not (and still haven't, really) shipped a decent email solution to the PlayBook is pathetic.

HUGE fan of RIM. HUGE disappointment from them.
    Fail this. Again with the not-ready-for-release PlayBook crap ... please, exactly what does that even have to do with this thread or anything in this forum, forgetting for the moment how thoroughly beaten to death this discussion is. FAIL.

Technology and cars are two different things, in case you didn't pick up on that. Perhaps you don't remember all the heat Microsoft took for reporting Windows 7 units shipped as the number sold. Apple does it with virtually all of their devices, as does just about every other tech vendor. It's the only accurate measure they have readily available, considering most of them sell many times more units than any car manufacturer.

Take a business admin class or masters program sometime, or just read a few articles from a real business news source other than CNN or BGR ... you'll learn.
    06-20-11 09:17 PM
    Fail this. Again with the not-ready-for-release PlayBook crap ... please, exactly what does that even have to do with this thread or anything in this forum, forgetting for the moment how thoroughly beaten to death this discussion is. FAIL.

Technology and cars are two different things, in case you didn't pick up on that. Perhaps you don't remember all the heat Microsoft took for reporting Windows 7 units shipped as the number sold. Apple does it with virtually all of their devices, as does just about every other tech vendor. It's the only accurate measure they have readily available, considering most of them sell many times more units than any car manufacturer.

Take a business admin class or masters program sometime, or just read a few articles from a real business news source other than CNN or BGR ... you'll learn.
    OK......so you win the pissing contest.

RIM fails the business model contest.

Regardless of your argument and who reports what (and that I do sit in P&L meetings on a regular basis) it still stands to reason that shipping a product and end users actually BUYING a product are VASTLY different numbers and the end user using it is what counts.

Period.
    06-21-11 01:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD