@MadMax8778 Well, at least it will have pretty photos. I'm sure you can appreciate that at least.

honestly who cares about kevins review, its going to biased to all ****, it wont be accurate because the guy refuses to admit the flaws in the product. Id suggest a review that honest and straight forward. If the bold's camera is garbage kevin will not say its bad he will say its good enough, or if the battery is bad he will say its fine for a days use. Instead of saying this isnt good enough/not acceptable. my point here is that he has his *** so far up RIM's *** they could release a phone with OS 6 change the icons and call it OS 7 (cough, 9900)and the guy would praise it as the best thing ever. Dont hate on me because i have to the balls to state the facts, i want this phone to be awesome too, reality is its not. I want a upgrade to my 9700 but this phone dosent warrant a 250 dollar price tag with a 2 year contract, when the next powerhouse android and IOS devices are getting released in 2 months.
    08-15-11 11:53 AM
    well i guess your relentlessly positive which cant be bad, someone has to have faith in the rimpire. but if QNX fails on the colt im callin game over.
    08-15-11 12:00 PM
    @MadMax8778 Well, at least it will have pretty photos. I'm sure you can appreciate that at least.
    Great response, Kevin!
    08-15-11 12:00 PM
    If you want to get an android or an ios phone go do it. But don't whine on here.

What's the problem if it doesn't suit you then that's ok. Its all down to personal choice, but there is no need to be rude or disrespectful. Kevin is always objective.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    jrodriguez397 and laurah2215 like this.
    08-15-11 12:01 PM
    honestly who cares about kevins review, its going to biased to all ****, it wont be accurate because the guy refuses to admit the flaws in the product. Id suggest a review that honest and straight forward. If the bold's camera is garbage kevin will not say its bad he will say its good enough, or if the battery is bad he will say its fine for a days use. Instead of saying this isnt good enough/not acceptable. my point here is that he has his *** so far up RIM's *** they could release a phone with OS 6 change the icons and call it OS 7 (cough, 9900)and the guy would praise it as the best thing ever. Dont hate on me because i have to the balls to state the facts, i want this phone to be awesome too, reality is its not. I want a upgrade to my 9700 but this phone dosent warrant a 250 dollar price tag with a 2 year contract, when the next powerhouse android and IOS devices are getting released in 2 months.

I am curious to know what RIM device you use cause Kevin's reviews are actually quite factual and real world from my experience. There are Kevin's reviews then there is an Engadget review. Somehow I suspect you subscribe to the latter.

Either way the only BS that is going on around here is your post.
    08-15-11 12:03 PM
    honestly who cares about kevins review, its going to biased to all ****, it wont be accurate because the guy refuses to admit the flaws in the product.
    Have you ever met an Apple fanatic who trashes iPhone flaws? I've never seen a group of people more willing to put up with flaws than the Apple fanatics. Whether its the iPhone battery ("just keep it plugged in"), or the Mac integration with business systems ("you can't use half the internal apps, but so what"), the Apple masses don't mind work-arounds, don't mind splurging full retail for a new phone every 12-18 months, and will admit no wrong with their device/system.

Take a look at Kevin's Heirarchy of Smartphone needs. It's all about what's important to you. "Good enough" isn't necessarily a negative. If you're like him, and me, and value phone performance and business productivity over camera quality and gadget apps, BB is still the best device out there and it's OK to say so.
    08-15-11 12:16 PM
    I read kevins review on the torch or should i say skimmed, and while he says the os 6 browser is good, other reviews say its poor and laggy, heres how to revise the review, instead of **-HUMS how about clear positives and negatives, like here on the 9900 you get liquid graphics and OS7 but it comes at the cost of battery life and autofocus and then give it a bottom line rating out of 10. Am i jealous of the 9900 nahhh, id wait for a price drop and for more carrier testing from att before id upgrade from my 9700 with its oh so glorious 1,500mAh battery, so i can bbm my face off. anyway its just my opinion, all kudo's to Mr.Michaluk for creating a site to speak about the bb platform, i own a blackberry just so you know, and i am a bb fanboy, the difference is ill say the battery isnt that great rather then making excuses on here like others like OH WAIT FOR IT TO "SETTLE" psshh lithium ion batterys dont settle, theyre best when thier new
    08-15-11 12:17 PM
    Go read Kevin's Torch 1 review and then come back with that BS.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk
    Uhhh...Here is an excerpt from Kevin's Torch review from last August, from the Closing Thoughts section:

Final verdict? At the end of the day, the Torch is a welcome addition to the BlackBerry family. The vertical sliding form factor really suits the BlackBerry experience, and with the Torch 9800 RIM has delivered a consumer product that not only puts the best of everything BlackBerry into one device. Between the sliding action of the hardware and the touchscreen experience on BlackBerry 6, the Torch 9800 is not just the best BlackBerry to date, but also the one that is the most fun to use.

And just for comparison sake, here is another one from the original Storm review, again, from the closing thoughts:

Enter the BlackBerry Storm. With its easy to type on touchscreen keyboard, the Storm is just as effective as any other BlackBerry for the work day, but with the benefits of a BIG ‘ole touchscreen isn't about to call it quits when happy hour begins. Sure, there's still some room for improvement: WiFi, more RAM and better graphics support... but sum up all that the BlackBerry Storm has to offer and it's surely one of the first smartphones to effectively bring you the best of both day and night, with little compromise in between!

I'm not trying to knock on the guy at all, his reviews are some of the most thorough in the industry and are always extremely well written and thought out. I also understand that with any new product, there is the honeymoon phase that unfortunately a review cannot wait for before being posted. However, from the reviews I have read, Kevin can tend to write from his heart and his love for Blackberry, and sometimes doesn't see all sides. He's kind of like a kid on Christmas morning, which I can't blame him for.

That being said, I am in no way bashing anything he is doing here. I will definitely enjoy reading his review of the 9900 as I have all the previous Blackberry devices he has reviewed, but I just know that from his review, I kind of have to draw my own conclusions about whether or not this device is for me. But he did call both the original Storm and the original Torch some of the best Blackberries to date at that time.
    Last edited by straightshooter; 08-15-11 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Updated thought: I also do love my new 9900 and despite some very minor things, this is far and away the best BB yet.
    08-15-11 12:18 PM
    Have you ever met an Apple fanatic who trashes iPhone flaws? I've never seen a group of people more willing to put up with flaws than the Apple fanatics. Whether its the iPhone battery ("just keep it plugged in"), or the Mac integration with business systems ("you can't use half the internal apps, but so what"), the Apple masses don't mind work-arounds, don't mind splurging full retail for a new phone every 12-18 months, and will admit no wrong with their device/system.

Take a look at Kevin's Heirarchy of Smartphone needs. It's all about what's important to you. "Good enough" isn't necessarily a negative. If you're like him, and me, and value phone performance and business productivity over camera quality and gadget apps, BB is still the best device out there and it's OK to say so.
    I have an iPhone 4 and love me some Apple products, but I'm not delusional and can state flaws in a product. Just figured I'd let that out there.

On another note, Kevin posts great reviews so I'm pretty stoked to read it when it goes up.
    08-15-11 12:22 PM
    I think the review will be helpful for those of us who will be trying to decide to go with an OS7 device or wait for the QNX lineup. And for those who are quick to knock a new BB, just remember that many of the initial bugs and kinks can be worked out with OS updates in the initial months. New OS always = new issues to be worked out.
    08-15-11 12:29 PM
    @madmax8778
    Everybody knows Kevin is a BlackBerry #1 fanboy (*even his t-shirt says so*). Naturally his review be somewhat bias but I don't think it's completely out of whack and is not reliable. If you feel very strongly that Kevin's review is too bias for your taste, then please don't read it but I have a feeling that you will read his review regardless. Just enjoy his review, use your own judgement, and decide for yourself.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    08-15-11 01:09 PM
    Woohoo its up now
    08-15-11 01:19 PM
    the review is up now
    08-15-11 01:30 PM
    good review and about what i expected. RIM did great with most all aspects of the phone i think. the camera and battery i think are just 2 obvious points that they overlooked greatly.
    08-15-11 01:38 PM
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-bold-9900-review

Review is up. Not my best writing to be honest. Was a weird experience. I wanted to try to make the review as concise as possible, then I was having issues with that approach so went back to my more normal format, but then it was going to turn into another massive novel which is just way too long, so then I kept the BB7 section shorter as I think the hardware performance side of things is more interesting here as BB7 is just a greater version of BB6... but then I had trouble setting the tone for a really solid conclusion... so yeah....

I think it's my favorite BlackBerry ever... but my least favorite written review. Though definitely the best looking review I've done.

Anyways, hopefully everybody who reads it gets at least a little something something out of it.
    howarmat, bighap, andyahs and 3 others like this.
    08-15-11 01:41 PM
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-bold-9900-review

Review is up. Not my best writing to be honest. Was a weird experience. I wanted to try to make the review as concise as possible, then I was having issues with that approach so went back to my more normal format, but then it was going to turn into another massive novel which is just way too long, so then I kept the BB7 section shorter as I think the hardware performance side of things is more interesting here as BB7 is just a greater version of BB6... but then I had trouble setting the tone for a really solid conclusion... so yeah....

I think it's my favorite BlackBerry ever... but my least favorite written review. Though definitely the best looking review I've done.

Anyways, hopefully everybody who reads it gets at least a little something something out of it.
    Nice PAM, by the way...
    08-15-11 01:43 PM
    good review and about what i expected. RIM did great with most all aspects of the phone i think. the camera and battery i think are just 2 obvious points that they overlooked greatly.
    This is what gets me with RIM. In today's tough market you cannot ever take a step back like they have done with the camera and it has ruined a potentially very good product.
    08-15-11 01:44 PM

The excuses Kevin........

I think you did a good job! Thank you for the time.
    08-15-11 01:47 PM
    I think I liked your PlayBook review better, in this one you really gave off the impression that you were too blinded by love of the phone to find anything wrong with it, but you still tried to find problems with it for the sake of a fair review, and that ended up with you critisizing minor points and glossing over more major ones. I'll be getting a 9900 anyway, hopefully I'll think it's as good as you do!!!
    08-15-11 03:28 PM
    Kevin's review was AWESOME!!!!! And I'm not just saying that because he's my boss! Well, ok, I kinda am!!!! BUT the review was pretty damn good! And as promised it has some SWEET pictures!
    08-15-11 03:47 PM
    Thanks for the review ,Kevin. Looking forward to reading it......and for the 9900 to be released on Telstra in Oz. They take forever.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-11 03:54 PM
    I think the review will be helpful for those of us who will be trying to decide to go with an OS7 device or wait for the QNX lineup. And for those who are quick to knock a new BB, just remember that many of the initial bugs and kinks can be worked out with OS updates in the initial months. New OS always = new issues to be worked out.
    i know that working out bugs and kinks is an on-going process, but what's the general amount of time these problems will be solved? (even some hardware issues? and what exactly is the QNX lineup? thanks for any info
    08-15-11 05:25 PM
    Very thorough and helpful review. I found myself drooling over the pics of that awesome device. Can't help but admit I'm a little disappointed in the camera and battery, but nonetheless this looks like an amazing piece of work. Hats off to Kevin and team for investigating for us.
    08-15-11 06:16 PM
    i know that working out bugs and kinks is an on-going process, but what's the general amount of time these problems will be solved? (even some hardware issues? and what exactly is the QNX lineup? thanks for any info
    OS updates will work out major software issues. Usually software updates are rolled out quickly after a device is released and then at (somewhat) regular intervals.
    The QNX devices are RIM's next generations of BBs, and some have dubbed them the super phones. Currently, the BlackBerry PlayBook is a QNX device. We're not sure when to expect QNX phones, but the latest rumours speculate as early as 2012.
    08-15-11 06:20 PM
    Jon4laker's done a review in a video.

Here ya go. Who want a video review which is quite long. :]
    08-16-11 11:25 AM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD