I know this isn't a concrete question, but I want to get a feel from the masses. Me and the wife are up for an upgrade (from 8530's on Verizon) and were waiting to get 9930's with a buy one, get one free/discounted sale hopefully close to the Holidays, but these recent posts about a JVM error that is bricking 9930's after they charge and out of nowhere has me concerned. Is there an official thread to track the progress on determining the cause and solutions to that problem?

How prevalent is it? Has anyone heard of a possible cause? I don't want to have a fancy new phone and feel like it is a timebomb ready to brick at any moment, but I'm eager to get the new touchscreen/QWERTY combo going.
    11-04-11 03:08 PM
    I know this isn't a concrete question, but I want to get a feel from the masses. Me and the wife are up for an upgrade (from 8530's on Verizon) and were waiting to get 9930's with a buy one, get one free/discounted sale hopefully close to the Holidays, but these recent posts about a JVM error that is bricking 9930's after they charge and out of nowhere has me concerned. Is there an official thread to track the progress on determining the cause and solutions to that problem?

How prevalent is it? Has anyone heard of a possible cause? I don't want to have a fancy new phone and feel like it is a timebomb ready to brick at any moment, but I'm eager to get the new touchscreen/QWERTY combo going.
    I understand your concern and it is a little frightening to me as well. I could be wrong, but I was under the impression only the GSM variant 9900s were having this problem.

If it makes you feel any better I have had my 9930 since launch day and haven't run into this problem. I'm very happy with my Bold and am seeing good progress with software updates. I know people with the 9930 as well and haven't seen any of these issues with them either. I had a friend buy a Rogers 9900 and it bricked though. But again, 9900, not 9930.

Worst case scenario you will have it under warranty and I'm sure your carrier would help you out in that situation.

Good luck.
    11-04-11 04:36 PM
    100% the reason I'm waiting to get the 9930. I hate the bricking. I won't get one til it's resolved.
    11-04-11 04:40 PM
    I've had two, no problems at all. Other than the screen is a little fragile when you drop it from 6 feet in the air (why I am on the second one).
    11-04-11 04:50 PM
    Seems like most of the reports are from the 9900 not the 9930
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-04-11 04:59 PM
    There are a couple of reports from 9930 users... http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-fails-658831/

But there are far more 9900 users worldwide.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-11 05:16 PM
    The hardware could fail on any phone though (which assumes it's a hardware failure in the first place). The issue is more how common the failure is, not if it's possible for the hardware to fail.
    11-04-11 05:20 PM
    I have a 9900 sitting here new in the box that I'm not going to use until this issue is resolved. My first one bricked out of nowhere, and I went back to my 9700. When they get this straightened out I will use the 9900, but until then it isn't worth the possible data loss because I don't back my phone up every day, nor should I have to.
    11-04-11 05:21 PM
    If you assume it's a hardware failure (as many people seem to claim, not really based on anything though), then waiting won't do much.
    11-04-11 05:23 PM
    I'm keeping on eye on the threads here too. It does seem like the 9000 has way more spontaneous bricking. The 9930 is less but still being reported.

Is it known why yet?
    11-04-11 05:30 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I was under the impression that it was more prevalent with the 9900 as well till I saw a few 9930's pop up with the issue. All phones have some issues but most come as a result of a certain action, the thing with this is that so far it seems to happen randomly. I guess I'd feel better if they had at least some idea of the cause.

I've seen some that think it may be a memory sharing issue with certain SD cards. Maybe the GSM SIM exacerbates it for some reason...who knows. Maybe they'll have it figured out soon because I'm really wanting to upgrade and no other platform meets my needs like BB.
    11-05-11 09:06 AM
    I've also had my 9930 since launch day and haven't had any problems.

11-05-11 09:08 AM
    I'm keeping on eye on the threads here too. It does seem like the 9000 has way more spontaneous bricking. The 9930 is less but still being reported.

Is it known why yet?
    9900 has way more users worldwide. Nearly no CDMA outside NA.

Bricking has happened on BB devices for years. Did you read Kevin's article discussing his experiences?

Have you nuked (or bricked) your BlackBerry 7 Smartphone yet? I have, twice. | CrackBerry.com

Its very likely the issue is OS related and/or the boot ROM code in the phone. RIM can fix either with a software update.
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-05-11 09:26 AM
    If it could be a memory card or SIM thing then has anyone tried their bricked one without those in for awhile to see if it doesn't brick?
    11-05-11 09:30 AM
    9900 has way more users worldwide. Nearly no CDMA outside NA.

Bricking has happened on BB devices for years. Did you read Kevin's article discussing his experiences?

Have you nuked (or bricked) your BlackBerry 7 Smartphone yet? I have, twice. | CrackBerry.com

Its very likely the issue is OS related and/or the boot ROM code in the phone. RIM can fix either with a software update.
    Thanks for that link. I actually missed that one. I dont even mind the bricking. My Tour bricked 3-5 times. But it wasn't spontaneous. It was after downloading an app, OS or restoring. The spontaneous part makes me nervous!
    11-05-11 12:46 PM
    I've had mine bricked once, a few days after I put in a new SIM card. Beyond that, I haven't had any problems. The one time it was bricked, it took me no time at all to get back up and running.

Aside from that, no problems whatsoever. Ironically, the day I got mine (from Telus) there was someone in the store exchanging her THIRD bricked iPhone for a fourth. At least in my case, with the dreaded JVM error, I was able to get back up and running in an hour.
    11-05-11 12:57 PM
    Thanks for that link. I actually missed that one. I dont even mind the bricking. My Tour bricked 3-5 times. But it wasn't spontaneous. It was after downloading an app, OS or restoring. The spontaneous part makes me nervous!
    Has me a little nervous too if USCellular has this one when I'm ready.
    11-05-11 01:26 PM
    I have the 9930 and I got the Java error about 3 weeks after I got it. Got a replacement from Verizon and haven't had a problem yet... Still only about a month on this replacement so crossing fingers...

11-05-11 01:36 PM
    verizon 9930 bites the dust

left it charging overnight. flasing red light. not able to reconnect to jvm on reloading OS.

is there any other solution besides getting a replacement
    11-05-11 01:42 PM
    So could be:

SIM card
    Memory card

Causing this? Kevin said he didn't have any apps installed.
    11-05-11 01:50 PM
    Do VZW bb's come with a SIM card? I know my tour fro USC did not.
    11-05-11 02:11 PM
    New global phones come with a SIM, yes.
    11-05-11 02:31 PM
    ive had to reload os as well..os7 bugs i guess will be worked out just when bbx comes out...lame
    11-05-11 04:23 PM
    I wouldn't use a 9000 or 9930 right now without having a backup device handy. I hope we get to the bottom of the self bricking.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-05-11 04:25 PM
    I would say if you are OK with typing on touch virtual keyboard, then go for iPhone 4S because at least Apple backs their products better than RIM.

This is my 3rd Bold 9900 because the first two had hardware defects. But I still love my Bold 9900.... It is up to you, but it is common on all Java based phones including some Nokia's to get JVM errors.

If you are worried about this, I would even look in to insurance or extended warranty offered by many different companies out there.

EDIT: I had this current Bold 9900 since two weeks after they first released the phone in Canada and I had no issues at all. I even still use the stock Telus OS and I have very little issues with battery life. Some people here had bad battery life with the original shipped version of OS and found that .440 and up seems to be better. Read the thread on that as well if you like to get some more info on what others have to say about things like the OS.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 11-05-11 at 04:40 PM.
    11-05-11 04:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD