The camera is a disappointment, but for the amount I'd even be using closeup shots, I could probably always just get as far as closeup mode allows before becoming blurred, and then zooming+cropping as necessary.
    It'd be cumbersome of course, but not a deal breaker for me personally.
    08-11-11 08:08 PM
    As a student, I take pictures of text in books. Something that's important for me to mull over and consider later. Also, I take pictures of text scrawl on dry erase/chalk boards. It's easier to double check to see if what I wrote down captured what was on the board. In study groups, we find a room with a board and some markers and that allows for us to write on the board, and then take photos of it to help save time for slow writers/typers/thinkers. Also, as I use my journalism/editorial skills, I take pictures of magazine/newspaper layouts to remember for later or try and recreate...down to the type of font used. So I find it is a legitimate complaint.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'm a student too and was thinking the exact same! I also post mobile pictures to facebook like mad. Phones have evolved into great cameras too. Shame this one couldn't do it. I was going to get this phone after my contract was over but now i'm hesitant... I feel that my 9650 with 3.2 MP but with AF does better...
    08-11-11 08:20 PM
    I didn't think it would be that big deal but the crackberry shots really changed my mind. I have a 9 month old daughter and it is great to whip out my phone and take a pciture of her. I can't see myself paying a premium price for the 9930 with the garbage it produces.

this is a classic example of marketing driving the boat. To make the 9930 the thinnest blackberry ever, I guess RIM couldn't squeeze a decent camera in. Poor design and poor execution with one goal in my mind...must advertise as thinnest bold ever. Too bad the Core market for this phone would really care about a few more millimeters in depth to accomodate at least a passing phone. I am passing on this phone. Right now I am on the 9000 and will buy an ipohone for the weekends and personal time

08-11-11 08:23 PM
    I wonder if a scanning app will be created that will utilize the video camera's HD video recording and have you 'scan' a document and then the app will turn it into a pdf? Kinda like how barcode/QR scanning apps use the video camera, not the still picture camera.

Who knows, could still be possible to scan and create pdf files that way. (probably more effective too)
    cespinal likes this.
    08-11-11 08:26 PM
    I hate it when fans try to justify a short coming of a device by pointing out that *they* don't use the feature, or they don't see the need for it, or they get a long without it just fine.

Its denial... I hate to admit when my favorite device falls short, but I refuse to make excuses for them.

"Excuses are tools of incompetence.
    They build monuments of nothingness, and
    Those who specialize in them seldom accomplish anything."

My point is when ever ANY device falls short, we should point it out and demand better.
    Why should we settle for LESS than the best?

RIM almost had it right with the "99" but the camera and battery is holding it back... smh.

08-11-11 08:34 PM
    I wonder if a scanning app will be created that will utilize the video camera's HD video recording and have you 'scan' a document and then the app will turn it into a pdf? Kinda like how barcode/QR scanning apps use the video camera, not the still picture camera.

Who knows, could still be possible to scan and create pdf files that way. (probably more effective too)
    That's a great idea, I am still awaiting a response from the producers of PDF Scanner and will revert back as soon as they get back to me.

I hope they have some tricks up their sleeves as they have a super focus method that even enhanced the already good focus on the 9700/9650/9780 even further as seen in the screen shots I've posted
    08-11-11 09:00 PM
    I know we are all probably bored about this topic, but it is very disappointing to find that the older 9780, can take perfect scans like these, when the much newer flagship model can't even come close.

I know the fact that it is thinner, and they couldn't keep the AF, but the quality of close up pics is just horrible

And please don't tell me if you want a camera or scanner get the real thing. I know I can, but it's all about the convenience to have 1 smart phone, that can substitute for many items.

Now looking at the positive side a bit, these photos were taken using an application called PDF Scanner, When you first select scan using PDF scanner, the preview image you see looks horrible, and you would thing, what a bogus program, surely I can't use this as a scan. But once you hit the trackpad, PDF Scanner starts performing a super auto focus till it gets the text super sharp. So what I am wondering, maybe the guys at PDF Scanner can do the same for the 9900??

I have emailed them asking if they are planning to release an upgrade and will report back as soon as they give me an answer.

I am getting the phone regardless, but it's just one thing always bugging me as I use PDF scanner a lot in my daily life when I go about my business to quickly and conveniently send stuff to clients.

Here are the pics from the 9780: (The quality of the 9700 and 9650 should be no different due to Auto Focus)

Scans from the 9780:

Scans from the 9930:

r u Romanian? I see a book written in Ro among your scans...
    08-11-11 09:12 PM
    Nothing like censorship at it's finest. Seriously, if you're going moderate posts and enforce forum rules and guidelines then at least do me the courtesy of enforcing them equally. I have seen numerous posts with pictures that were never removed, mods that have signature lines that are clearly larger than the allowable font size. This is becoming more and more asinine on a daily basis. It doesn't take a master of the obvious to figure this stuff out.

There was absolutely nothing offensive about the picture I posted, I have seen countless other photographs, much worse than what I posted and they were never removed.

"Welcome to CrackBerry, now keep your opinion to yourself"

Should I ban myself, or will someone do that for me?

Please don't post giant pictures, including giant clip art of babies crying. They have been removed.

OP if you want to repost images that's fine, just make them an appropriate size, please.
    JoJoCal19 likes this.
    08-11-11 09:21 PM
    r u Romanian? I see a book written in Ro among your scans...
    No, the second set of scans are not mine, they are copied from another thread for a guy who owns a 9930
    Last edited by technology-fanboy; 08-11-11 at 09:45 PM.
    08-11-11 09:41 PM
    The pictures are horrible but am getting the 9900 still

08-11-11 11:55 PM
    Nothing like censorship at it's finest. Seriously, if you're going moderate posts and enforce forum rules and guidelines then at least do me the courtesy of enforcing them equally. I have seen numerous posts with pictures that were never removed, mods that have signature lines that are clearly larger than the allowable font size. This is becoming more and more asinine on a daily basis. It doesn't take a master of the obvious to figure this stuff out.

There was absolutely nothing offensive about the picture I posted, I have seen countless other photographs, much worse than what I posted and they were never removed.

"Welcome to CrackBerry, now keep your opinion to yourself"

Should I ban myself, or will someone do that for me?
    I got to say your signature line of Chuck Norris ROCKS. That has to be one of the best ones I've every read.
    08-12-11 12:15 AM
    The pictures are horrible but am getting the 9900 still

me too!

08-12-11 11:12 AM
    me too!

Do you use your blackberry in conjuntion with what you do for a living?
    08-12-11 07:10 PM
    not really, I use it as an all in one stop for all my emails and chat clients (nbe it facebook , bbm, etc) I do however take a few scans every one in a while.

that is why I am still getting it, but very annoyed that I will spend an arm and a leg for a device that has an unacceptable camera by any standards.

And no I cant do touch screen so no torch 9860, or iphone for me

Im stuck with this device with a useless 5 mp cam.
    08-12-11 07:23 PM
    I take close in shots often with my Tour. Works great for Documents, price tag/model #'s when shopping, saving info for easy reference and many other uses. I like the physical keyboard and was planning to get a 9930.

After seeing the close in photo quality, I have decided this is a deal breaker...need to have a decent camera and no carrying my digicam all the time is out. I would rather have a slightly thicker Bold than this poor camera. I am giving up the keyboard and going with a 9850.

08-12-11 08:08 PM
    Does the poor close up camera performance affect things like scanning barcodes etc?
    08-12-11 08:26 PM
    Does the poor close up camera performance affect things like scanning barcodes etc?
    Yes, if it can't take a close pic of text, that is exactly the whole concept of a barcode, which is to read small text and convert it to something. For that, it would need a clear crisp visual on the text to be able to interpret it as any meaningful value.
    08-12-11 08:29 PM
    I do too. As a communication device, voice and data. I haven't taken more that 10 pic in the last 5 years.

If you need an auto focus camera on your phone, get one that has it. But it is what it is and no amount of "I'm going to pass on it" or comments about how wrong RIM is will change it.

Just saying
    08-12-11 08:49 PM
    True, does anyone know if an upgrade for the OS will enhance this? Or it it simply hardware based and nothing can be done to enhance it?
    08-12-11 08:54 PM
    As a work phone, I want to be able to do work with it!

That crappy phone ends my ability to scan, photo-copy, and/or fax a paper document. With my 9650, I can take a full page "scan" of a document (better than the one's depicted here) and instantly email the "scan"...or upload it to dropbox! This is an amazing feature. This is an incredible time saver.

Now, it is utterly gone.

I'm starting to take a look at upcoming Windows phones... or just sticking with my 9650.
    manjazz123 likes this.
    08-12-11 08:58 PM
    ... also, I expect the 9930 price to drop to $150-ish within months with 2-yr contract.
    08-12-11 09:00 PM
    Soooooo... this thing will take 720p movies that that really suck? What is the point of that feature?
    08-12-11 09:05 PM
    Soooooo... this thing will take 720p movies that that really suck? What is the point of that feature?
    It's supposed to have HD recording which the EDoF camera does better *supposedly* I'll have to try it out for myself...as I said I am getting this phone because I love the keyboard, nothing more, nothing less

I dont need touch screen, RIM messed up with the cam so that's out of the question......Keyboard + fast processor is all we got now...

When I get it I will do some testing between my 9780 videos and the 9900 videos and post them here

I won't have it in hand before 18 days though
    08-12-11 09:09 PM
    I do too. As a communication device, voice and data. I haven't taken more that 10 pic in the last 5 years.

If you need an auto focus camera on your phone, get one that has it. But it is what it is and no amount of "I'm going to pass on it" or comments about how wrong RIM is will change it.

Just saying
    So what you're saying is, no amount of negative customer/media feedback has ever persuaded a manufacturer to change something? Get real. People are going to be reading reviews before they buy this phone. And if the camera is universally panned then it's going to affect sales, especially among those who are straddling the Blackberry/iPhone fence. Cameras are such essential features on smartphones these days and yes, people do use them to scan/take close ups all the time. Nobody who requires legible close ups is going to buy this phone. Not one. And yes, it rules out barcode scanning and such things like check depositing coming to Blackberry.

I have tried to stop myself caring about this camera issue but it may just stop me buying a 9900. I could not care less how "thin" the phone is, in fact if it were as thick as a 9000 but with a decent camera I'd buy it like a shot.

Who knows, maybe RIM will respond to this negative feedback, see sales suffering and bring out a revised model with a decent camera. I certainly hope so.

08-12-11 09:21 PM
    Scans from the 9930:

Whoa those are a total train wreck. My Curve 3G does about the same job.

<facepalm>
    manjazz123 likes this.
    08-12-11 09:43 PM
107 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD