I know we are all probably bored about this topic, but it is very disappointing to find that the older 9780, can take perfect scans like these, when the much newer flagship model can't even come close.

I know the fact that it is thinner, and they couldn't keep the AF, but the quality of close up pics is just horrible

And please don't tell me if you want a camera or scanner get the real thing. I know I can, but it's all about the convenience to have 1 smart phone, that can substitute for many items.

Now looking at the positive side a bit, these photos were taken using an application called PDF Scanner, When you first select scan using PDF scanner, the preview image you see looks horrible, and you would thing, what a bogus program, surely I can't use this as a scan. But once you hit the trackpad, PDF Scanner starts performing a super auto focus till it gets the text super sharp. So what I am wondering, maybe the guys at PDF Scanner can do the same for the 9900??

I have emailed them asking if they are planning to release an upgrade and will report back as soon as they give me an answer.

I am getting the phone regardless, but it's just one thing always bugging me as I use PDF scanner a lot in my daily life when I go about my business to quickly and conveniently send stuff to clients.

Here are the pics from the 9780: (The quality of the 9700 and 9650 should be no different due to Auto Focus)

Scans from the 9780:

Scans from the 9930:

Last edited by technology-fanboy; 08-11-11 at 07:34 PM.
    08-11-11 02:00 PM
    Now I'm thinking, if PDF scanner can enhance the focus using some software technique, maybe they can do the same for the 9900
    08-11-11 02:17 PM
    Wow, those 9900 pics are garbage.
    08-11-11 02:46 PM
    Wow, those 9900 pics are garbage.
    Took them from this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...88/index2.html

08-11-11 02:57 PM
    Why did they leave autofocus off when every other fone coming out is thin and has auto focus?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Because most phones don't house a keyboard of that size.
    08-11-11 03:42 PM
    Because most phones don't house a keyboard of that size.
    Uh.. No AF cause of the keyboard size?..
    08-11-11 04:39 PM
    I mean... Who is really taking pictures of books? Jesus I usually take pictures of people or... dogs or... God I dunno a tree

but text from a book?

People will find anything to complain about.
    08-11-11 04:47 PM
    I mean... Who is really taking pictures of books? Jesus I usually take pictures of people or... dogs or... God I dunno a tree

but text from a book?

Again, please don't get me wrong, I am not trying to put the phone down as it is a great upgrade to the BB users. The upgraded processor and liquid graphics and big keyboard make up for this as that's what we BB users do most.

But just saying, it's a shame that they did this to the cam.

I don't think people take pics of books this is not the agrument here, the point is, some people, like me, tend to use this feature for taking pics of a page for example they really need quickly rather than typing it somewhere.

Different people have different needs, just sayin'
    08-11-11 05:26 PM
    i think so long as the camera works good enough to take a few pics now and then, there should be no big issue if you want a better camera or a faster phone, then don't get the bold 9900, get a different one, i also think people like to complain about the smallest of things because they have nothing better to do
    08-11-11 05:32 PM
    Not sure how much I've gleaned about the camera, I've certainly learned a lot about Meryl Streep though.
    08-11-11 05:35 PM

but text from a book?

I actually think the OP has a good point. Obviously people normally won't take a picture of a book... but what about when they want to take a picture of a business card to scan or a pdf. iPhones and Androids have great PDF scanning apps, and I think it would be good for the Bold (a BUSINESS phone) to have something like this.
    kirson likes this.
    08-11-11 05:38 PM
    Sadly, the limitation of a space saving Extended Depth of Field camera is that it cannoy do everything. it is a quick and handy camera that can be used to take general shots, but cannot handle the close-ups that a digital auto-focus can.

And people do use the phone camera in some cases to send a page/PDF document to someone really quickly. I too have the PDF scanner, and face the lessened enthusiasm over losing autofocus. I don't use it much at the moment, but I'm finding it becoming more useful.

08-11-11 05:44 PM
    The quality of pictures really has turned me off from this phone. As someone who tends to take hundreds of pictures with my phone I want a clear, focused picture which this phone just does not cut it with.
    My 9800 takes better pictures than the iPhone IN MY OPINION so for me to go to a smartphone with a less-than-par camera would not make any sense.
    Some people use all aspects of their phone not just one for those who are ******** about people not being happy with the picture quality.
    08-11-11 05:59 PM
    The quality of pictures really has turned me off from this phone. As someone who tends to take hundreds of pictures with my phone I want a clear, focused picture which this phone just does not cut it with.
    My 9800 takes better pictures than the iPhone IN MY OPINION so for me to go to a smartphone with a less-than-par camera would not make any sense.
    Some people use all aspects of their phone not just one for those who are ******** about people not being happy with the picture quality.
    Yeah but it ONLY performs poorly at objects extremely close up. For any other use, its probably much better and faster than the auto-focus cameras...for the most part. I don't think its a huge deal for 90 percent of people buying the phone who are going to use the camera to take family pictures or touristy type stuff. I've seen some really excellent photos taken from the 9900. Colors look fantastic on it. So its more of a trade off than a step back in my opinion.
    misdeismo likes this.
    08-11-11 06:10 PM
    Yeah but it ONLY performs poorly at objects extremely close up. For any other use, its probably much better and faster than the auto-focus cameras...for the most part. I don't think its a huge deal for 90 percent of people buying the phone who are going to use the camera to take family pictures or touristy type stuff. I've seen some really excellent photos taken from the 9900. Colors look fantastic on it. So its more of a trade off than a step back in my opinion.
    Are you serious? It ONLY performs poorly at objects extremely close up? Colors look fantastic? Perhaps you haven't see the CrackBerry blog post on the front page. Those aren't extremely close pics & they don't look good at all. Even worse the colors are horrible.
    bhavi_jp, shupor and Branta like this.
    08-11-11 06:15 PM
    Obviously I'm mistaken because I thought the Bold 9900 was a COMMUNICATIONS device NOT a high dollar, premium camera. You have every right to your opinion, but seriously...it's a phone, a messaging device, a data keeper, an organizer, a calendar and so much more.
    htc_maple, SSMiKe06, ibcop and 1 others like this.
    08-11-11 06:20 PM
    OP - Can you please do me a favour please and resize some of your pictures please. They are insanely huge which making it difficult to read the thread.

Thanks
    Michelle Haag likes this.
    08-11-11 06:21 PM
    The O.P. has absolutely nailed it - the scans from the 97XX are very usable and totally acceptable while the ones from RIMS "NEW" 99xx are not usable - therefore totally unacceptable.

This alone should send shock waves of terror through anyone who is fond of blackberry and wants to see them survive into the future with a future brighter then the company who makes texting phones for grammar school age kids.
    08-11-11 06:41 PM

but text from a book?

As a student, I take pictures of text in books. Something that's important for me to mull over and consider later. Also, I take pictures of text scrawl on dry erase/chalk boards. It's easier to double check to see if what I wrote down captured what was on the board. In study groups, we find a room with a board and some markers and that allows for us to write on the board, and then take photos of it to help save time for slow writers/typers/thinkers. Also, as I use my journalism/editorial skills, I take pictures of magazine/newspaper layouts to remember for later or try and recreate...down to the type of font used. So I find it is a legitimate complaint.

kirson likes this.
    08-11-11 06:44 PM
    In todays market a "high dollar" smartphone includes at least a decent camera....
    ...Have we finally admitted that RIM is no longer in the smartphone making business?

If we are talking phone such as below your point is valid.
    bhavi_jp likes this.
    08-11-11 06:45 PM
    Please don't post giant pictures, including giant clip art of babies crying. They have been removed.

OP if you want to repost images that's fine, just make them an appropriate size, please.
    08-11-11 06:49 PM
    As a student, I take pictures of text in books. Something that's important for me to mull over and consider later. Also, I take pictures of text scrawl on dry erase/chalk boards. It's easier to double check to see if what I wrote down captured what was on the board. In study groups, we find a room with a board and some markers and that allows for us to write on the board, and then take photos of it to help save time for slow writers/typers/thinkers. Also, as I use my journalism/editorial skills, I take pictures of magazine/newspaper layouts to remember for later or try and recreate...down to the type of font used. So I find it is a legitimate complaint.

Yes Amy, the majority of BB users absolutely agree with you - and the applications they have for needing a camera which has that ability are as many as the people themselves.

For the others who say this isn't a big deal:

For Pete's sake that's why RIM's direct competition has insured their phones HAVE THAT ABILITY.
    08-11-11 06:50 PM
    Why did they leave autofocus off when every other fone coming out is thin and has auto focus?

Because this camera is a lot cheaper. No other reason.
    08-11-11 06:57 PM
    While I acknowledge that picture taking isn't the highest priority for me, I actually find that I really enjoy being able to snap high quality pictures on my BB. I own a nice digital SLR, and a nice little digital point and shoot, and, to be honest, haven't used either one in months. I haven't gone on vacation or anything special that would require high quality picture taking, but I've snapped a few dozen shots of my kids doing silly/cute things, and I've preserved a few white-board sessions from work meetings all on my 9800. I have been pretty happy with the results, and like the fact that I don't freak out if I forget to pack my camera on a short trip. I really really really want the 9900 for the keyboard and form factor rather than the 9810 - but the camera is making me rethink this a bit (that and the fact I'm on AT&T...). Just my $0.02.
    08-11-11 07:01 PM
    OP - Can you please do me a favour please and resize some of your pictures please. They are insanely huge which making it difficult to read the thread.

Thanks
    Done

Please don't post giant pictures, including giant clip art of babies crying. They have been removed.

OP if you want to repost images that's fine, just make them an appropriate size, please.

Sorry about that, I didn't realize the size initially as I simply copied them from a previous post. it's fixed no you can check
    08-11-11 07:35 PM
107 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD