Just a wild thought ran across my mine. With the release pushed up to August for the BB Bold 9900, AND the impending (doom hahaaha) of ATT buying Tmobile, do ya think that maybe (just maybe) RIM might be wanting to add additional frequencies on the new Bold so that it would be compatible with ATT's 3G frequencies if/when the buyout came to pass? It would seem to make sense to me as RIM may be thinking that many potential buyers for the new BOLD would hold back from purchasing this??
    06-05-11 11:42 AM
    Just a wild thought ran across my mine. With the release pushed up to August for the BB Bold 9900, AND the impending (doom hahaaha) of ATT buying Tmobile, do ya think that maybe (just maybe) RIM might be wanting to add additional frequencies on the new Bold so that it would be compatible with ATT's 3G frequencies if/when the buyout came to pass? It would seem to make sense to me as RIM may be thinking that many potential buyers for the new BOLD would hold back from purchasing this??
    AT&T has a 4G frequency too. I guess this is a little known fact. Although I have no idea why because I can hardly hold onto a 2G frequency standing outside in my front yard. I can't afford to try for the 3G frequency cuz it costs my battery way too much.LOL!

Peace...
    Last edited by tediprude; 06-05-11 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Incorrectly spelled word.
    06-05-11 12:37 PM
    Also, IF? At&t and T-Mo merge does happen, it won't be anytime soon, at least a year or more.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-11 03:46 PM
    They wouldn't postpone due to the merger, especially since who knows when everything would be finalized with the network transition even after the merge on paper... Even if this was true the 9930 would have no delay, so....
    06-05-11 05:11 PM
    Also, IF? At&t and T-Mo merge does happen, it won't be anytime soon, at least a year or more.

A year from the initial agreement, not a year from now. Can't really remember exactly when it was but maybe February?
    06-05-11 05:43 PM
    No way. We've noticed from the past that rimm doesn't move quick with the trends. The further delay probably came from resources being put towards the playbook.

06-05-11 06:00 PM
    Has the merger been approved already? Last I remember reading it was being studied at the Dept of Justice.
    06-05-11 07:43 PM
    saw an ATT commercial today mentioning the merger and how they will improve their network. So im guessing its done
    06-05-11 07:49 PM
    Merger won't close until at least March 2012. That said rest assured that it will close, and it will get approved. The penalties for it not gaining regulatory approval are so huge that AT&T will divest just about any spectrum to complete it.

PG
    06-05-11 11:57 PM
    Why would they hold a device release only for an american company? when there are other GSM carriers in their own country, and other countries. Sounds really weird. I dont think AT&T has that much control over RIM... or maybe it does hmmm. And even so, at this stage, the most reasonable thing to do is managing GSM frequencies at the firmware level, you know, the one deep down that its hard to reach, while having one or several radios capable of the whole spectrum of GSM frequencies. So its easier to "configure them" and avoid problems related to carrier changes of mind like these ones.
    Last edited by gbsn; 06-06-11 at 12:06 AM.
    06-06-11 12:02 AM
    Yep, goes along with my way of thinking too.
    06-06-11 07:30 AM
    Merger won't close until at least March 2012. That said rest assured that it will close, and it will get approved. The penalties for it not gaining regulatory approval are so huge that AT&T will divest just about any spectrum to complete it.

PG
    I agree, I don't think there will be a problem. But DoJ has to cater to the complaints, if nothing else to cover their a$$ and to please corporations/political interests. That would not impact the release of the phone.
    It was an interesting though, OP!
    06-06-11 07:39 AM
    saw an ATT commercial today mentioning the merger and how they will improve their network. So im guessing its done
    No I think at&t basically try to change the public view on the matter by airing ads that are positive. The truth is network may be better, but bad for the general consumers. I don't think those ads prove that the merger going to happen, but rather there are huge PR problems with the merger itself.

06-06-11 10:08 AM
    I tis not doen till the FCC approves it. Can still take months, even over a year for some mergers.
    06-06-11 10:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD