Liquid underneath the glass from a spilled bottle and now onscreen looks purple. Touchscreen and phone works fine. Cant tear down phone cause no T5 screwdrivers and cannot find a place here to replace it for me.

Great........
    Last edited by CatlinFD; 05-18-12 at 04:42 AM.
    05-18-12 04:02 AM
    Put the phone in a container like a large jar with at least 3 pounds of rice all around it and leave it sit in there for atleast 3 days undisturbed to help remove most of that moisture. If you need to leave it the rice for a couple days then please do so. Please remove the battery first.
    05-18-12 04:42 AM
    Sounds like you broke the number one rule and still allowed your phone to be powered up after the spill. MOST important the battery be removed quickly until the device is 100% dry.

The rice thing is good but wrap up your device in a layer or two of paper towel first to keep the rice from getting into the device.

Sorry about the accident
    Fnord and wordworkr58 like this.
    05-18-12 05:15 AM
    The phone was powered on throughout the spill. I'd estimate it was a good 10-30 minutes after it happened until I discovered it when I picked up my phone to message someone. The battery area or anywhere else on the phone such as keyboard did not get wet and from what I can tell no internal issues. The only problem I am seeing and have noticed is underneath the glass.

Note it was Nail Polish Remover that was spilled. Someone told me it evaporates good?

I'm not really concerned about thick rice getting into it
    Last edited by CatlinFD; 05-18-12 at 06:46 AM.
    05-18-12 05:57 AM
    A friend has a piece of rice go into the headphone jack and it had to be taken apart to get the ear piece speaker to work again so . . . . .

You said liquid in your original post, we assumed it was water.

ACETONE is a whole new beast. It is highly volatile and evaporates rather quickly so the rice thing is not applicable. Acetone melts plastic parts so it sounds like some got in the screen. what damage is done is done as the acetone is gone. Parts need to be replaced as it will not heal!
    05-18-12 06:32 AM
    I'm hoping it hasn't caused any permanent damage or has melted any parts.

WAIT. It's acetone-FREE. Just read the label on the bottle again with a clear mind. Cutex Acetone Free Nail-Polish Remover (*sighs with relief*). But unsure if it evaporates quickly but it's still in the rice container and will check it in an hour or something.
    05-18-12 06:45 AM
    Good Luck A prayer can't hurt
    05-18-12 08:05 AM
    In acetone free removers they just replace acetone with weaker solvents. Is the color similar to the color of the nail polish remover? It may have evaporated and left behind whatever color they add.

I would still remove the battery and the back cover to let it air dry for awhile. You have no way of knowing how much liquid is inside.

You could try to separate the digitizer from the LCD and clean. The alcohol may have started that process already. There is no way of knowing if the solvents are strong enough to damage the LCD. The phone should be disassembled and inspected for residue left behind. I don't know what other ingredients are in that stuff.
    I would be prepared to replace the lcd/digitizer assembly.

Good luck.
    05-18-12 10:23 AM
    You cannot separate the digitizer from the LCD apparently or I would do it myself as I have enough confidence in tearing down the phone. It'd be easier and less time consuming to just replace the digitizer/LCD for about $50 or so dollars.

The color of the remover is like peach and its turned the screen dark purple. Im about to take it from the box of rice and asses it. If no change, I'll leave it until Sunday evening then find someone to replace the LCD/Digitizer for me (There has to be someone) and it shouldnt be more than $150.
    05-18-12 11:25 PM
    You can buy an LCD with digitizer on ebay for 50-60 dollars and you can buy a tool set for < 3 bucks on ebay as well.

Go on youtube for directions and you can do it yourself. It's easy.
    05-19-12 05:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD