Hey all,

Just got my new 9900 and loved it. The main reason I switched from my Torch is because the battery life on the Torch had become horrendous after since I installed OS 6. When I told the guy at the store the problem, he said that I should use the timer auto to turn-on and off the phone after it is fully charged so that it doesn't unnecessarily overcharge the battery.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?
    10-23-11 07:45 PM
    The guy at the store is a liar.

But to save your brain from radio waves, options (type Auto), click enter, and change it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-11 07:48 PM
    Really? The Auto On/Off thing won't help with conserving battery power?

I can't even tell you how bad it was with my Torch. I would be out by 5 PM after an all-night charge and not making a single phone call and it was the main reason I got new phone so I want to make sure I am doing everything I can to conserve battery power this time.
    10-23-11 07:58 PM
    You should have come here and looked for the answers. But in hind sight you ended up with an awesome device. But like I said you could have solved your problem with your battery issues. I have had my 9930 for nearly 2 months and have never shut it off. My battery life averages 18+ hours a day. Some days I get more. I leave wifi off if I am not using it and gps location off unless using an app that requires it. Other than that I have done nothing special to get exceptional results. Enjoy your new device. And next time before you take the word of a clueless stranger, ask on CB and benefit from the collective.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-11 08:22 PM
    Definitely consulted in here about my battery problem but nothing seemed to work. I tried:

- Different chargers
    - Turning backlight off
    - Installing new OS

I just think the battery was fried. As a result, I want to make sure I do everything in my power (pun intended) to conserve battery power on my bold starting with the auto off when I am charging it at night...
    10-23-11 08:25 PM
    It does not matter if you turn it off or leave it on while it is on the wall charger. Whether it is on or off while charging will not affect the battery life while it is off the charger.
    10-23-11 08:33 PM
    Thanks Laura,

Any other tips? I really think I did something to screw up the battery on my Torch so I want to be much more careful with this phone
    10-23-11 08:43 PM
    Thanks Laura,

Any other tips? I really think I did something to screw up the battery on my Torch so I want to be much more careful with this phone
    My main suggestion would be to charge early and often. You cannot overcharge the battery.

Letting the battery go completely dead is the worst thing for Lithium ion batteries. They do not have a "memory" like the old Nickel batteries.

I keep a charging pod on my desk, and I'll just drop my device in the charging pod when I'm not using it.

If you are in your car, and not at a desk, you can charge it on a car charger while you're on the road.

Topping off Lithium ion batteries frequently is good for them and will make them last longer.

Other than that, I would suggest checking what apps are running in the background. If you have Facebook or Twitter updating often, that will drain your battery. I only manually check for updates and don't leave those running in the background.

Weather apps and Social Feeds will also cause battery drain if they are updating often.
    Last edited by lak611; 10-23-11 at 08:56 PM.
    10-23-11 08:52 PM
    Charger will shut off when the battery is full, so there is no chance of over charging. So auto-off provides no benefit.

That said, if you have no need for the phone while you sleep using the auto-off/on feature will obviously provide for better life between charges (since it's simply not on 24/7).

Can find the feature under Options > Device > Auto On/Off
    10-23-11 09:02 PM
    Thanks. That's interesting because I honestly thought it was my need to 'top battery off' and do multiple charges that killed my Torch's battery so I thought for the first week I should def let battery die completely (like I did today, my first day with it) and then do a charge.
    10-23-11 09:10 PM
    Thanks. That's interesting because I honestly thought it was my need to 'top battery off' and do multiple charges that killed my Torch's battery so I thought for the first week I should def let battery die completely (like I did today, my first day with it) and then do a charge.
    Believe it or not, some uninformed store reps will still tell you to do that.

However, that is the way to kill the battery faster, rather than make it last longer.

Letting the battery die completely was only necessary when Nickel Cadmium batteries were used. Those haven't been used for several years now.
    JR A likes this.
    10-23-11 09:22 PM
    Congrats. It's a great device!
    10-23-11 09:28 PM
    My favorite blackberry by far and I have pretty much had them all

It's so much faster.

It's just the battery that I am worried about but definitely happy i picked it over the iphone.
    10-23-11 10:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD