1st device, no issues
    southlander likes this.
    09-02-11 05:51 PM
    Build quality is not great. Played with 4 of them at a shop and found imperfections on all of them. Either keys did not have uniform travel. Trackpad was squeeky or off center. And none of them had the same click when pressing the 4 menu buttons.

People that are not complaining probobaly just arent perfectionists and can live with slight build quality issues or they are just got real lucky and got a perfect one.
    09-02-11 06:04 PM
    I'd wager 99.99999% of people on the planet didn't even try to measure the key travel + click sound of the 4 buttons across 4 different devices on pretty much any smartphone period....
    09-02-11 06:09 PM
    Remember, people come here to complain, so all you see are complaints.

The 90% of the people are enjoying their phones.

You don't get too many people buying a phone at the store, then running back to a forum to tell you that it works right?

It is the other way round, which is what you are seeing here, the small majority of those thousands of people worldwide come here telling you their troubles or seeking help. The rest are enjoying their new 9900s

I have 2 9900s which are both perfect out of the box, made in hungary

loving every moment of this device and am so glad I upgraded. Using a 9780 now feels like you are playing with a turtle compared to this beast.
    Not everybody knows about this forum, or takes the time to browse it and post. Not everybody that is here is here to complain, there are plenty of people that give praise where praise is warranted. I just got my second replacement (#3) now, and I was hoping to get pack in the thread I made earlier and say that all is good now. Unfortunately when it came out of the box and powered up, there is discoloration in the lower right hand corner of the screen as if it is being squeezed though it's not even in a case or anything. I love the blackberry os and want to have a working 9930 with no defects, as you should be able to get when they are brand new straight out of the factory and you're paying for it. However, I agree there seems to be an aweful lot of lemons.
    09-02-11 06:14 PM
    I'd wager 99.99999% of people on the planet didn't even try to measure the key travel + click sound of the 4 buttons across 4 different devices on pretty much any smartphone period....
    True but thats because other smartphones dont have these issues.
    09-02-11 06:27 PM
    uhm, false... They might not have the exact same issues because nowadays a lot of them avoid moving parts period, but others do have similar moving parts and others certainly do have build quality issues even if not the same....

Also the reason most people don't do that thorough of checking is because they are not OCD about it to that level. It has nothing to do with the type handset, it has to do with the person checking it.
    mud314 likes this.
    09-02-11 06:32 PM
    My hobby is photography. You would be surprised at what I see in the Nikon forums I subscribe to.

80% of the people that post are pixel peepers ... ie, scrutinizing every pixel, rattle, button, gap, seam etc etc of their camera. Imagine how much shooting they could be doing instead of complaining or pixel peeping.

Same goes here .... I was anal when I got my first ever blackberry ... can't even remember now ... it was the curve before the first 9000 Bold. I too went through 3 devices, then 3 bold 9000 models eventually coming to the realization that no device is 100% perfect and just like a car .. the more you use it the more you are going to start to wear it in.

Now, I laugh at what I used to complain about.

I brought back my 9700 3 times because my tack pad jiggled ... then I realized it was a floating button, not screwed into the device but resting on it's spot and life was easier.

People generally like to complain ... its human nature.

But as one poster said, msot of the devices are fine ... issues seem to be with the pickiness of the user.

Even Rim has had enough of the returns as they are now re-organizing their returns and the Rogers rep I know said that RIM is changing the way they train tech support and being more stringent with what they consider a defect. A loose button is no longer a defect but considered wear and tear.

Let's face it ... how many times have we dropped our devices and wished we could claim an out of the box defect... lol
    09-02-11 06:33 PM
    Let's face it ... how many times have we dropped our devices and wished we could claim an out of the box defect... lol
    Actually a bunch of people do this.... Part of the reason the insurance deductibles will keep going up.
    09-02-11 06:35 PM
    You can read any forum and you will see threads like the ones on here. Look at the HTC Thunderbolt when it was first released there were so many issues with it everyone was complaining. Forums are a source of information good or bad we need both for a fare outcome. I believe most carriers pick up a lot of info off of these forums to help with issues on their devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-11 06:35 PM
    uhm, false... They might not have the exact same issues because nowadays a lot of them avoid moving parts period, but others do have similar moving parts and others certainly do have build quality issues even if not the same....

Also the reason most people don't do that thorough of checking is because they are not OCD about it to that level. It has nothing to do with the type handset, it has to do with the person checking it.
    Yeah like I said most people that dont notice the issues either got lucky, or more likely they just arent perfectionists. For $600-700 though I expect perfection. I dont want to hear my trackpad squeeking.
    mud314 likes this.
    09-02-11 06:38 PM

Even Rim has had enough of the returns as they are now re-organizing their returns and the Rogers rep I know said that RIM is changing the way they train tech support and being more stringent with what they consider a defect. A loose button is no longer a defect but considered wear and tear.
    That is tantamount to forcing the customer to accept poor quality control. Ford tried that in the 70s and lost massive market share...eventually led to them having to rebrand as "quality is job one" they were so associated with crap products.

Sad if Rogers is being retrained by RIM to call customers liars, which statistically is not true. Studies show that very few "cheats" feign defective products that they themselves have broken. That is what makes warranties work. If the opposite were true then you they wouldn't be offered as the cost would be to high to cover the fraud.

You might ask Rogers if all the cell manufacturers are doing this or just RIM. If it is just RIM then that speaks volumes about their product quality.
    09-02-11 06:54 PM
    I have had this phone for a day and I havent come across any problems yet!
    09-02-11 09:36 PM
    TO BE BRUTALLY HONEST, people are just stupid.

"oh noo im dumb enough to pull out my SD card when it CLEARLY doesnt let me, but i kept pulling it and now its broken inside my phone... STUPID RIM!"

"oh noo im dumb enough to spray a liquid on my phone to put on a screen protector, even though any cheap $5 piece of sticker plastic would do the same thing... STUPID RIM!"

"oh nooo im dumb enough to press my track pad a billion times even though theres a touch screen for selection now and my trackpad is squeaky... STUPID RIM!"

"oh noo my blackberry buttons are too clicky like im trying to have phone sex and the buttons are too loud... STUPID RIM!"

"oh noo my battery is crap and im too stupid enough to carry a $5 usb cable to charge my phone if i need to, or just switch to 2G as its the same speed in sending BBM's... STUPID RIM!"

Yea i basically summed up 90% of this forum... Ive been following this forum ever since i got my 9900 (Aug. 11th, one of the first days) and after loading OS's like after 3-4 days a time, no issues what so ever. Yea, my track pad got a little squeaky but i was playing Monopoly, a game that isnt touch capable soo i was clicking every second for 30 minutes... 5 minutes of not clicking the squeaking went away.

I understand its an expensive phone, but people have been just complaining about the STUPIDEST REASONS KNOWN TO MAN KIND! Like honestly if u want to have a good experience with your phone, read the blogs, they will tell u a lot about how to use your specific OS7 device to its best.
    09-02-11 10:03 PM
    I have one with Sprint and all the issues that I have with the phone as far as hardware have been resolved. There still remains the issue of lack in the app market. I can't even get Pandora anymore since switching from my 9780. BAD TIMES! I also wish it had flash capability and HSPA+! (Sprints version isn't "4G".) Other than that I'm happy with my OS7 Device.
    Last edited by J_R_TheMotorMan; 09-02-11 at 10:06 PM.
    09-02-11 10:04 PM
    Ok, here goes..

I absolutely LOVE the 9930. it was snappy, beautiful form factor and the touch screen was as good as any iphone or android i have ever touched. Finally a browser that didnt make me want to stab babies when i used it. You get the picture.. I LOVED them.. The key word being "THEM"

I just returned my 3rd one this evening within my 14 day period, and trust me it was not over and trivialities like light leaks or creaky battery door ( i have owned HTC devices)

All 3 of my 9930's popped a JVM 517 Error code. and the techs at Verizon called it a well known and documented issue and sent me overnight a new phone 3 times. The last i had them ok an exchange at a corporate store. I am now using an iphone 4 for the time being. i REALLY wanted this 9930 to work out and for the few days i had it, it was the Berry i had dreamed of since my 7000 series days..

I will be back when the QNX phones drop or sooner if the 9930 get worked out. i am already going through BBM withdrawals! ;^J
    09-02-11 10:26 PM
    well, us canadians aren't complaining we have weather and gas prices to occupy our energy to complain
    Sharma15 and andy957 like this.
    09-02-11 10:57 PM
    Ok, here goes..

I absolutely LOVE the 9930. it was snappy, beautiful form factor and the touch screen was as good as any iphone or android i have ever touched. Finally a browser that didnt make me want to stab babies when i used it. You get the picture.. I LOVED them.. The key word being "THEM"

I just returned my 3rd one this evening within my 14 day period, and trust me it was not over and trivialities like light leaks or creaky battery door ( i have owned HTC devices)

All 3 of my 9930's popped a JVM 517 Error code. and the techs at Verizon called it a well known and documented issue and sent me overnight a new phone 3 times. The last i had them ok an exchange at a corporate store. I am now using an iphone 4 for the time being. i REALLY wanted this 9930 to work out and for the few days i had it, it was the Berry i had dreamed of since my 7000 series days..

I will be back when the QNX phones drop or sooner if the 9930 get worked out. i am already going through BBM withdrawals! ;^J
    You fit the description of an outlier.
    Not many of you.
    09-03-11 12:08 AM
    Remember, people come here to complain, so all you see are complaints.

The 90% of the people are enjoying their phones.

You don't get too many people buying a phone at the store, then running back to a forum to tell you that it works right?

It is the other way round, which is what you are seeing here, the small majority of those thousands of people worldwide come here telling you their troubles or seeking help. The rest are enjoying their new 9900s

I have 2 9900s which are both perfect out of the box, made in hungary

loving every moment of this device and am so glad I upgraded. Using a 9780 now feels like you are playing with a turtle compared to this beast.
    I'm agree with you!we maybe get a good solution When we meet troubles in this forum,so we should fit with it...
    09-03-11 02:02 AM
    2 week old 9900 here, no issues at all.

Excellent phone, good build quality, even dropped a foldable sack truck on the screen yesterday and there is the 'slightest' of scratches on it, barely visible, how it didnt smash I do not know! Amazing.

I have however, bought a HTC desire S to satisfy my app craving, lol (will use both phones)

Steve
    09-03-11 03:12 AM
    Lol. Yeah they just have lots of other issues.

09-03-11 03:32 AM
    Well first of all I'll bet most of these people that are complaining went out of there way to find something wrong with this device because, that's what they do. Complain. And I'm sure a lot of people just jumped on the band wagon once they saw all of the "bad battery" threads. In all honesty if you're here to complain like this I say "get out". If you have an issue with the phone then tell the forums your issue and someone is bound to come along and give advise.

And speaking of which enough with the "bad battery" threads. I'd like to read something other than how you hate the battery life of your new phone you got 5 hours ago. Break the phone in and tinker with the settings or get a new battery.

09-03-11 05:10 AM
  22. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Yeah ... I can't put the Bold 9900 down either ... its too amazing!! ..really!
    MrTherapy likes this.
    09-03-11 08:50 AM
    my girl and i have the new bold, both are tanks and have great battery. do you honestly think my girl will come onto crackberry to tell everyone how much she loves her new phone? no. most are like her out in the wild.
    09-03-11 09:01 AM
    We have to keep in mind that a lot of issues can be fixed with software updates, and software updates/OS updates will be pushed frequently following the and release of a new device. So, I imagine over the course of the next couple months the complaints will die down as OS updates will cure some of the main problems.
    09-03-11 12:37 PM
    No issues for me here. Yet. I am very happy with the Bold, even the battery performance is good for me. Hope RIM keeps it up.
    09-03-11 05:06 PM
117 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD