Ok my BB 9930 came yesterday. Not really familiar with BB at all so excuse me if this has been covered been trying search but just getting more confused

1. I am on sprint phone is saying firmware is up to date (.241) but I keep seeing all these other firmwares on this forum. Am I up to date or not and if not how do I update.

2. Hearing different things about bricking you phone by charging overnight what is the right way to charge to have least chance of doing damage

3. Anything that anybody would recommend me doing whether checking for problems or apps would be great.

Reason why Im a little concerned is first night my phone did freeze up on me 2x also signal seems to be all over the place
    12-15-11 01:43 PM
    1) It's possible that Sprint is only offering .241 to their customers. Unlike Apple who pushes OS updates directly to their iOS devices, RIM provides updates to carrier who perform their own tests and decide whether to release it. The other OS' that you are seeing around here are ones that either another carrier has released or one the RIM has sent out to carriers and someone has leaked it to the masses. In any event, you are free to update your OS to any that is available for the 9930.

2) Best way to keep longevity with the battery is constant top ups. It's bad for battery life to let if drain out completely. If you stick to that you shouldn't have any "bricking" issues - as most seem to happen when people let their batteries run low and then charge overnight.

3) update to a newer OS, the stock .241 was not the best for battery life. From what I've read on 9930 OS' (I have a 9900), the latest available (think it's .530) is the best.

Good luck
    12-15-11 01:56 PM
    374 from Verizon is the latest. It's very stable. Just delete the 2 vendor.xml files and install and enjoy!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-11 02:01 PM
    Ok my BB 9930 came yesterday. Not really familiar with BB at all so excuse me if this has been covered been trying search but just getting more confused

1. I am on sprint phone is saying firmware is up to date (.241) but I keep seeing all these other firmwares on this forum. Am I up to date or not and if not how do I update.

2. Hearing different things about bricking you phone by charging overnight what is the right way to charge to have least chance of doing damage

3. Anything that anybody would recommend me doing whether checking for problems or apps would be great.

Reason why Im a little concerned is first night my phone did freeze up on me 2x also signal seems to be all over the place
    .241 is the latest official release from sprint. Verizon has released a higher build that you could install on your sprint phone.

what you don't want to do it let the phone drain all the way dead where it turns off, that is what leads to it being bricked we have seen

no way to check for problems, just use the phone and enjoy it
    12-15-11 02:21 PM
    I stand corrected

Here's the link to get .374: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...reless-661796/
    12-15-11 02:26 PM
    I stand corrected

Here's the link to get .374: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...reless-661796/
    Thanks for posting the link, I couldn't really post it answering from my device.
    12-15-11 03:04 PM
    I'm still on the stock firmware that came on my 9930 from sprint. .Besides some browser issues lately I've been pretty ok with this device. Battery life is great as I get a day and a half on a daily basis.

I've always charged my phone before I go to work in the morning. I'm up early enough to do so and I've never believed in over night charging. If a device only needs one - two hours to charge why charge it for eight? That just me and how I prefer to do it.
    12-15-11 04:42 PM
    What area are you in? There's a few of us here on Sprint that are having issues. If it's bouncing from low signal to decent, it could be a tower issue. I'm in the southwest 'burbs of Chicago for reference.

You should be able to call customer service and ask them to check if there are any open work orders on the tower by you.
    12-15-11 05:49 PM
    Well I see the good news that the sprint update is available I'm downloading that now. I'm in the Baltimore area and yea it's going from no bars to full bars just sitting still. Not a huge deal yet cause I'm mostly using wifi hopefully gets fixed soon. Other than that liking the phone so far
    12-15-11 09:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD