Just upgraded my contract and waited 2 weeks for my Blackberry 9900 to come back into stock - it arrived this evening. I set it up with my email accounts etc and updated the standard apps like Blackberry Appworld and Facebook. Got asked to reboot the device so I did so and now its just stuck in a massive boot loop and i've used it for less than 2 hours. What on earth is going on? It appears there's a lot of problems from what I can see on the forums and I refuse to have to mess around with the software on a brand new phone the same day I got it to get it working. Going to have to ring Vodafone tomorrow and get them to replace it, but do I get a straight swap or go for something else? - Really tempted to go for something else and not run the risk of this happening again.
    12-06-11 02:48 PM
    I fear to ask if you completed the process by making sure all apps were closed, and then doing a battery pull.....
    And of course the battery was fully charged before making all the changes?

Just asking because that seems to be a necessity with any BB and often the PB. In reading the forums it seems that it is also prudent (like any computing system) to add applications one at a time particularly due to incompatibilities with older OS specific versions, by deleting them from the old phone and then reinstalling through App world/My Apps this helps weed out problem-causers.

Hope you get it up soon, you may have to do the reinstall of OS through DM.
    12-06-11 02:57 PM
    I closed all the apps then just selected the reboot option in the menu. Battery was probably on 90% or so :/. I honestly don't understand how a brand new phone can have these problems, especially as they seem to be so widespread.
    12-06-11 03:03 PM
    Hopefully things work out for you. I've had my 9900 soon after they came out, never had a problem. Works like a charm. My only issue is battery life, I get through a day no problem, but I used to get through about 3-5 days. That said, it's been the best mobile device I've used to date. Good luck.
    12-06-11 03:06 PM
    picked mine up about a month ago from ATT and set it up and have had no issues other than the forementioned battery life which has dwindled in the last few weeks. Best BB I have owned and I've owned quite a few over the years! Good luck getting yours set up it will happen just give it some time.
    12-06-11 03:26 PM
    Start by downloading 7.1.0.74 and installing it on your computer.

http://www.bbin.in/en/public/9900/le..._A7.1.0.74.exe

Take your Memory Card and SIM out of the phone and replace the battery and back cover.

Now use BBSAK to WIPE your Device.

Now install the newest OS, 7.1.0.74

Gmail Sync:
    Setup > Email Accounts > your Gmail account > edit > Synchronization Options

Setup your Gmail to sync with your Calender & Contacts. This way you can restore them anytime you upgrade your OS or loose your info. DO NOT INSTALL GOOGLE SYNC, this is handled through your BlackBerry OS.

BlackBerry Protect:
    Make sure you set up BlackBerry Protect with all options ON and all types of info to be backed up. Make sure to set BlackBerry Protect to BACKUP everyday. The backups are progressive and use very little data. Go to the BlackBerry Protect website on your computer and take a look at everything it can do. You will like what you find.

AppWorld:
    AppWorld can install, uninstall, and re-install apps on your phone or directly through your computer using a USB cable. USB is nice if your data connection is flaky or you need to reinstall a pile of apps after a fresh OS install.

Update Your OS:
    There are two Operating Systems available for your phone just now, .540 and 7.1. Anything prior to .540 is sure to be full of bugs. 7.1 adds some features .540 doesn't have, like a wireless hotspot.

iSkin has a case called "vibes" for your phone. Super nice, keeps your camera and flash clean, lightweight, raised up a tad around the screen but not beside the keys. Comes with a real nice screen protector and a rag to wipe the spooge off your screen. Protects like a Commuter but light and less bulky like a BlackBerry skin.

The included charger sucks and you will hate your battery life. Go to Google/Amazon and find yourself a Nokia AC-6U Charger. It charges slower but your battery life will triple bare minimum. YOU WILL NOT REGRET THIS ADVICE.

BlackBerry Travel Rocks if you jet around
    BlackBerry Password Keeper is a must
    BlackBerry Traffic is neat
    Google Maps All that and a bag of chips
    BlackBerry Memopad a must have
    Opera Mini is pretty cool
    Pandora is a must have, Slacker blows
    Poynt is a must have
    Social Feeds for your FB, Twit, & Youtube
    Photo Editor Ultimate a gift from BB
    Last edited by olblueyez; 12-06-11 at 04:04 PM.
    ohhh my, sulcopete and Mylexon20s like this.
    12-06-11 03:41 PM
    Had mine since mid-august never had a problem. I am now running .540
    12-06-11 04:17 PM
    Start by downloading 7.1.0.74 and installing it on your computer.

http://www.bbin.in/en/public/9900/le..._A7.1.0.74.exe

Take your Memory Card and SIM out of the phone and replace the battery and back cover.

Now use BBSAK to WIPE your Device.

Now install the newest OS, 7.1.0.74

Gmail Sync:
    Setup > Email Accounts > your Gmail account > edit > Synchronization Options

Setup your Gmail to sync with your Calender & Contacts. This way you can restore them anytime you upgrade your OS or loose your info. DO NOT INSTALL GOOGLE SYNC, this is handled through your BlackBerry OS.

BlackBerry Protect:
    Make sure you set up BlackBerry Protect with all options ON and all types of info to be backed up. Make sure to set BlackBerry Protect to BACKUP everyday. The backups are progressive and use very little data. Go to the BlackBerry Protect website on your computer and take a look at everything it can do. You will like what you find.

AppWorld:
    AppWorld can install, uninstall, and re-install apps on your phone or directly through your computer using a USB cable. USB is nice if your data connection is flaky or you need to reinstall a pile of apps after a fresh OS install.

Update Your OS:
    There are two Operating Systems available for your phone just now, .540 and 7.1. Anything prior to .540 is sure to be full of bugs. 7.1 adds some features .540 doesn't have, like a wireless hotspot.

iSkin has a case called "vibes" for your phone. Super nice, keeps your camera and flash clean, lightweight, raised up a tad around the screen but not beside the keys. Comes with a real nice screen protector and a rag to wipe the spooge off your screen. Protects like a Commuter but light and less bulky like a BlackBerry skin.

The included charger sucks and you will hate your battery life. Go to Google/Amazon and find yourself a Nokia AC-6U Charger. It charges slower but your battery life will triple bare minimum. YOU WILL NOT REGRET THIS ADVICE.

BlackBerry Travel Rocks if you jet around
    BlackBerry Password Keeper is a must
    BlackBerry Traffic is neat
    Google Maps All that and a bag of chips
    BlackBerry Memopad a must have
    Opera Mini is pretty cool
    Pandora is a must have, Slacker blows
    Poynt is a must have
    Social Feeds for your FB, Twit, & Youtube
    Photo Editor Ultimate a gift from BB
    Thanks a lot for this, appreciate all the advice and hopefully i'll be able to get my blackberry sorted sometime this week one way or another.
    12-06-11 05:19 PM
    Interesting take on the charger. I charge with a pod and my battery life is off the charts good.
    Very interesting indeed. I have two batterys and am kinda an electronics geek.....maybe I'll do some experimenting. Maybe.

Sent from my super long lasting BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-06-11 05:52 PM
    i have had my vz 9930 since sept .works well .no issues at all.goodluck
    12-06-11 05:56 PM
    Thanks a lot for this, appreciate all the advice and hopefully i'll be able to get my blackberry sorted sometime this week one way or another.
    My Pleasure. Good luck with it and don't hesitate to ask any questions or PM if you like.
    l0wther likes this.
    12-06-11 08:17 PM
    I have the 9900 and my Wife has the 9810. They both have much better battery life with the Nokia charger. I'm sure the Nokia is not the only suitable replacement but its cheap, the cord is nice and long, and its worked so well on the two Berry's we have I like to recommend it. Others have reported the last generation chargers with the folding blades work well too, even though the charging speed is only 50mA slower than the new USB junker they are putting out. This is just a guess but the new unit is awful small, gets pretty hot, and its very inexpensive so I assume its not putting out the cleanest power.

That's the best my tiny pea brain can come up with anyway.
    12-06-11 08:27 PM
    How come a charger can give you a better battery life, I don't understand here, sorry for ignorance!
    12-06-11 08:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD