Well I apologise that this thread is really pretty pointless but I couldn't resist any longer and finally went out to purchase my 9900 sim free.

Well the first thing is to stick on 7.1.0.74.

Will be seraching the forums for any other tips.

12-02-11 02:03 PM
    Congrats! First suggestion, once you load up 7.1, give it a few days of charge cycles and a few reboots to let the OS and battery 'settle in'. Be careful what apps you install -- make sure they are only OS7-compatible. Don't let the battery run too low between charges, and when you do charge it, try to charge it up to 100%.

Good luck!
    12-02-11 02:48 PM
    Well I apologise that this thread is really pretty pointless but I couldn't resist any longer and finally went out to purchase my 9900 sim free.

Well the first thing is to stick on 7.1.0.74.

Will be seraching the forums for any other tips.

Since you started it, I'll pile on, since I just got my 9900 last night, and we don't need two threads like this.

I'm not yet going for 7.1. I figured I'd wait for a more mature version, and give the apps a chance to catch up. So I installed .504.

My battery was just about gone by 2:30 today, but thanks to the people here I was expecting that. Hopefully it will improve over the weekend. I also bought one of those lower-amp Nokia micro USB chargers, to test the theory that slower charging helps to extend battery life. If it doesn't work, I'm only out $4.

I probably shouldn't have let the battery get down to 8%, but I wasn't paying attention.

I ordered a soft shell case, which should arrive today or tomorrow.

I have one of those PowerMat chargers for my 9780. There isn't yet a receiver/cover for it for the 9900. I'm not sure whether I'll keep the PowerMat and wait for a receiver/cover or include it as an extra when I sell the 9780. And I guess I won't sell the 9780 immediately. I'm not sure how long I should wait before the danger of bricking is passed, if it ever passes. I'll give it a week or so, I guess.

I had a bunch of wallpapers for the 9780 on the SD card, and I'm happy to see that they work on the 9900, enlarged to fit the screen without it being obvious.

I'm finding that my reflexes are still to use keyboard shortcuts and trackpad, so I hardly ever use the touch screen. I imagine that will change.
    12-02-11 03:10 PM
    Will never go for the 7.1 untill the second official release
    12-02-11 03:14 PM
    So far so good. 7.1 working without any issue and the hotspot feature working ok as well.

Only problem I have so far is that Nobex Radio premium downloaded from the thankyou gift in appworld is telling me that I need to pay.

Icons are a bit more squashed than the Torch which I am used to but the typing experience makes up for it for sure.
    12-02-11 03:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD