Scamming asurion worked?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-11 11:38 PM
    its not really scamming if your phone is messed up and you have insurance and they send you the 9930
    09-26-11 03:31 AM
    Yeah, I couldn't see risking damaging my phone just to get a new one. Too much time down without a phone while I wait for them to possibly upgrade me and maybe not. I don't know about everyone but from a lot of the posts I have read here, not many of us would choose to be without a phone for possibly 2 weeks just to save a couple of bucks.
    09-26-11 07:25 AM
    Yeah, I couldn't see risking damaging my phone just to get a new one. Too much time down without a phone while I wait for them to possibly upgrade me and maybe not. I don't know about everyone but from a lot of the posts I have read here, not many of us would choose to be without a phone for possibly 2 weeks just to save a couple of bucks.
    Damaging your phone intentionally would be illegal. That being said, I walked into the Verizon store with my broken phone and walked out less than an hour later with a brand new 9930. Not really sure where you are getting 2 weeks from...
    09-26-11 10:10 PM
    God helps those who help themselves!!
    09-26-11 10:53 PM
    You obviously don't get it. It does not matter what your intention of your final comment was, it is the fact that it can be interpreted in a different way. I NEVER said that was you intention. Get a grip. Its a simple edit and be on your way.....good grief. I can always report it and have the Moderators decide.....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Weather he said the last comment or not just telling his story will get some do file illegitimate claims. By your logic the whole thread should be removed.

This is nothing new, they did it with the Bold when the Tour was EOL and I've seen the same thing with a couple phones on AndroidCentral.
    09-26-11 11:53 PM
    Damaging your phone intentionally would be illegal. That being said, I walked into the Verizon store with my broken phone and walked out less than an hour later with a brand new 9930. Not really sure where you are getting 2 weeks from...
    Interesting .. was this a regular corporate store or a Z Wireless Premium Retailer? From what I understand stores are not supposed to do equipment swaps in store anymore other than during the 15 day satisfaction grantee time when you get the phone, they are supposed to order the device for you (Free overnight). Are you also a corporate account?
    09-27-11 12:00 AM
    Interesting .. was this a regular corporate store or a Z Wireless Premium Retailer? From what I understand stores are not supposed to do equipment swaps in store anymore other than during the 15 day satisfaction grantee time when you get the phone, they are supposed to order the device for you (Free overnight). Are you also a corporate account?
    It was a corporate store. They didn't just offer me up a new phone, I had to call Asurion and tell them the situation. They first wanted to overnight a new phone to me, but I asked if there was anyway I could get a phone right then and there because this was a business phone and I needed it to run my business (which is 100% true, but could have been BS and they wouldn't have known any different). Anyways, the Asurion rep I was on with asked to talk to the store manager. It seemed as if they were making sure the store had them in stock and that they were okay with this (they told me to call and see if I could get one right then, so obviously they were cool with it). After talking to the manager for a few minutes everything was settled. Asurion bought the phone from the Verizon store for full price (Asurion gave VZW a credit card to bill for the phone at $540 or so) and I gave Asurion my credit card # to be billed $100 or whatever my deductible is. After that was all done, Verizon set up my phone as if I were buying it directly from them. The whole process took less than an hour.

Funny side note, the manager gave me a "pound" (for the older folks here, it's like a high five but with a closed fist) with a huge grin saying how awesome it was that I was getting a new 9930 for $100 and not having to sign a new 2 year deal.
    09-28-11 08:47 AM
    I read in another thread that they may have 9650s back in stock. This may not be true, but dont do anything stupid without double checking first.
    09-28-11 08:16 PM
    It was a corporate store. They didn't just offer me up a new phone, I had to call Asurion and tell them the situation. They first wanted to overnight a new phone to me, but I asked if there was anyway I could get a phone right then and there because this was a business phone and I needed it to run my business (which is 100% true, but could have been BS and they wouldn't have known any different). Anyways, the Asurion rep I was on with asked to talk to the store manager. It seemed as if they were making sure the store had them in stock and that they were okay with this (they told me to call and see if I could get one right then, so obviously they were cool with it). After talking to the manager for a few minutes everything was settled. Asurion bought the phone from the Verizon store for full price (Asurion gave VZW a credit card to bill for the phone at $540 or so) and I gave Asurion my credit card # to be billed $100 or whatever my deductible is. After that was all done, Verizon set up my phone as if I were buying it directly from them. The whole process took less than an hour.

Funny side note, the manager gave me a "pound" (for the older folks here, it's like a high five but with a closed fist) with a huge grin saying how awesome it was that I was getting a new 9930 for $100 and not having to sign a new 2 year deal.
    Yes I have heard of this happening in rare instances where time was of the essence (ie for a business and they could not wait to be shipped a new device).
    09-29-11 12:46 AM
    I read in another thread that they may have 9650s back in stock. This may not be true, but dont do anything stupid without double checking first.
    Anyone woo intentionally damages their device in an attempt to defraud Verizon out of an upgraded device deserves what they get...
    09-29-11 12:47 AM
    I would love a $99 9930. I need to go to my local VZW store and see if they can work something out for me. I believe they would give me good value if I were to trade my 9650 in to them. However, I would like to hold on to it as backup and as a possible upgrade for my wife or daughter down the road.
    09-29-11 06:55 AM
    My wife's phone IS broken. The left side "caps" key is not there and other things. I already tried to replace it before the 9930 came out but for $100 we didn't think it was necessary and she likes her phone.
    09-29-11 07:42 AM
    My wife's phone IS broken. The left side "caps" key is not there and other things. I already tried to replace it before the 9930 came out but for $100 we didn't think it was necessary and she likes her phone.
    Well, if they are still giving out 9930s for broken 9650s, then it is definitely worth $100. I agree with what you were saying though. I had a damaged 9650 that I didn't want to pay $100 to replace so I left it how it was (it was chewed by a dog and the lock button didn't work anymore). I was forced to replace it when it went into a reboot loop from updating an app, and even then I was debating whether I would just use my old Storm 2 instead of paying the $100. In fact, I walked out of the VZW store with that intention but decided I could sell my new Bold 9650 in a month when my new contract is due for more than $100 so it would be worth it to file the claim. Then, of course, I got the 9930 and the rest is history.
    09-29-11 09:29 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD