So I upgraded from my trusty 9700 and hoping the 9900 will give me a couple years of solid service. Right off the bat though i noticed the trackpad is slightly crunchy when i click it down. Also there is a sharp edge/lip between the touchscreen and the call/end panel. Are these normal? My 9700 trackpad felt solid so was wondering if the 9900 has a slightly different design and feel.

Thanks.
    02-13-12 12:59 PM
    I've upgraded from a 9700 to a 9900 as well. All of these things are normal. I thought it was just me, but playing with my friends' 9900s rendered the same feel.
    02-13-12 01:04 PM
    Hey that's good to know..thanks for the reply. Has battery life been a real bummer for you? I'm also trying to connect to my PB but am having issues...maybe i need to do a battery pull.
    02-13-12 01:07 PM
    grats on your 9900 mate, well it's all fairly discussed already in the threads.
    but i guess you may have missed them, the trackpad could be feeling crunched or squeeky.
    and the sharp edge/lip, i don't have that mine is flush on both sides.
    it's for you to decide if you are going to say okay with it.
    but as for the squeeky trackpad it would go away by time when you use it often.
    it's all normal for you to bump on things you don't see as a normal thingy.
    since you just have the phone new and want to be 100% sure you have a good one.
    other then that how is the phone working and some other stuffs maybe?
    02-13-12 01:12 PM
    So far so good. I just hope the battery life is somewhat comparable to my 9700 but I'm not holding my breath. The transition from the touchscreen to the buttons is not seemless, i just am able to detect an edge with my fingers.

I just need to transfer my registration keys for apps and then all should be good. What do you guys use for LED colors? I had BeBuzz on my 9700 which I liked a lot.
    02-13-12 01:17 PM
    I can't comment on the lip you're feeling, mine certainly doesn't have it and although my trackpad is mounted out of alignment with everything else it doesn't squeak.
    Battery life will probably get better with a few charge/discharge cycles.
    02-13-12 01:38 PM
    well give it some time to work it in and have patience since you need to load all the stuffs.
    on your phone first and play with it some to see how it works out.
    i've always used BeBuzz you can just transfer it over, it does work.
    02-13-12 01:44 PM
    Take a razorblade to the sharp plastic edge and gently sweep across. Fixed mine right up. Carefully!
    02-13-12 03:41 PM
    Its not like there is a piece of plastic sticking out..more like the level between the screen and button bar and not perfectly leveled.

Also, I thought OS 7 allows you to change led colors. Is that not true?
    02-13-12 03:55 PM
    I also upgraded my trusty 9700. Between RIMs 100 dollar rebate and T-Mobile's sale it was hard not to take the plunge. The panel and screen are not flush on mine. Trackpad seems solid but I need to adjust to the new "reach " between the return and trackpad.

I also hope my 9900 will last me over two years.
    02-13-12 06:38 PM
    My trackpad isn't crunchy but I have the lip problem. I always put a screen protector on and it has it almost flush now so I don't even notice it.
    02-13-12 09:11 PM
    All is well with my 9900. Came from a 9700 too.

Congrats on your new toy/gadget
    02-13-12 09:26 PM
    Its not like there is a piece of plastic sticking out..more like the level between the screen and button bar and not perfectly leveled.

Also, I thought OS 7 allows you to change led colors. Is that not true?
    Lookup Advance Os LED in app world. Its free, small and works perfectly. Just make sure to turn LED norifications off in your Profiles so there are no conflicts. Love this app!
    02-13-12 09:34 PM
    Ya I was coming off OS 5 on my 9700 so getting around on OS7 has been tricky as I want it to look and feel like my 9700.

I just bridged to my PB and did a speedtest and was surprised that it was at less than 1Mbps. My old 9700 was faster and this phone is running on Tmobiles 4G network. What speeds are you guys getting through the bridge browser?
    02-14-12 12:00 AM
    If you're rocking the 9900 now, you are definitely going to want to grab the leaked OS 7.1.0.205. It comes with a healthy boost in battery life, as well as mobile hotspot, which in my understanding is much faster than Bridge browser! If you're feeling up installing a leaked OS, I would go for it!
    02-14-12 02:33 AM
    A few differences I've noticed so far from my old 9700 running OS5:

1.When I adjust the volume rocker, there isn't an onscreen display indicating volume level. Kinda strange.

2. When writing sms messages, there isn't an indication of character limit at the top..ie. 1/160 chars, etc.

3. Speaker volume is much louder than the 9700 but not sure if it is stereo like the original 9000.

4. Some minor lags when navigating real fast through windows and apps. Never really noticed this with the 9700.

5. When streaming TuneIn radio, the first time I used it I didn't notice any difference in buffering time but this morning it buffered really fast. I would think 4G would be a huge improvement over 3G but I guess that might be network dependent.

6. Haven't really done much bridge browsing using my Playbook but the one time I used it I didn't notice a dramatic improvement over my old 9700.

By this evening I'll be able to compare relative battery life. Also this morning I was having an issue with the screen not dimming after 20secs. Had to hit the lock key to get it to dim. Strange.
    02-14-12 05:40 PM
    Congrats on the 9900. I got my 9900 just last Friday and I'm lovin' it. The keyboard is sublime. The first thing I did with was upgrade to the leaked .205 OS and I have no complaints about the battery life.

I have the same edge that you are describing between the touchscreen and touchpad area. RIM likely designed that purposely to keep your fingers from activating the touchscreen while you use the touchpad and menu button since those are used alot on this phone. just a guess. I didnt even notice it until you mentioned it lol.

I hope you enjoy the 9900 as much as I do!
    02-14-12 06:52 PM
    One question, when I click on a link in an email how do I get rid of the pop up that asks me if I want to go to that link?
    02-15-12 02:00 PM
    One question, when I click on a link in an email how do I get rid of the pop up that asks me if I want to go to that link?
    I havent found a way to get rid of that pop up when you click on a link in an email. A work-around would be to just double-click on any links in emails instead of single click - it'll send you to the site without hesitation.

Also found a great $1.99 app called "Show me the images" in appworld that automatically shows images in emails instead of having to click on "Get images". works great for me.
    Buy Show Me the Images - Download Show Me the Images - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World

Also, I just installed a screen protector on my 9900 today and that edge you mention in your opening post is virtually gone. Maybe they designed it like that knowing the vast majority of people will put on a screen protector and make up the difference in edge height. worked for me
    02-15-12 05:24 PM
    where did you get the screen protector ?
    02-15-12 05:46 PM
    Thanks for the tips.

Now I don't know what I did but my emails and bbms aren't showing up on my notification bar. Where is the settings to change that?
    02-15-12 06:31 PM
    Weird, I just did a battery pull and now my notifications are showing again...man is OS7 this buggy?
    02-15-12 06:47 PM
    where did you get the screen protector ?
    The screen protector came with the case that I bought for my 9900 - its called the Seidio Convert for the 9900. It's actually 2 cases in one.
    seidioonline.com/blackberry-bold-9900-9330-convert-case-holster-p/bd4-hkr4bb9900.htm

Check out the Seidio Convert on youtube:

Just noticed they sell they screen protectors by themselves:
    seidioonline.com

Great case, screen protector, holster, top quality with lots of protection. Thescreen protectors fit perfectly, clear, smooth to the touch and are not antiglare which makes them invisible, cant even tell its there.

I will use the case mostly when I am doing stuff around the house or doing yardwork or errands. The peace of mind knowing the phone is safe is worth the extra bulk from the case. I tend to drop my phones once in a while . When I am working at my desk I will take off the case and use my phone "naked", I love the feeling of it! lol.
    02-15-12 06:55 PM
    Weird, I just did a battery pull and now my notifications are showing again...man is OS7 this buggy?
    I've never had my notifications disappear on me but the OS definitely has its quirks. I noticed weird behaviour after I downloaded a bunch of apps that were all trying to control the LED at the same time for any given event. With the leeway that app developers have to control the OS it appears conflicts can cause performance problems. I went thru and made sure there were no conflicts in each of the app settings or just deleted the app if it wasn't performing as I expected. My phone works best when I keep it lean and mean and install only well-built professional apps.
    02-15-12 07:07 PM
    So I just noticed another bug this morning after receiving a couple of MMS messages from one sender. Since MMS and SMS messages are all in the same thread now, I was having problems scrolling through the whole thread..ie, it won't let me scroll through. I can hit 'T' or 'B' to go from top to bottom but everything in between cannot be seen.

However, on another thread from a different contact, where the thread has mainly sms messages and one mms, i am able to scroll through just fine.

Strange bug...and you would think this is a core bb app so it should work without conflicts.

Anybody else seeing this?

Thanks
    02-16-12 12:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD