Hi all,

Just bought the 9900 after having a iPhone 3GS and Samsung Nexus S for the past 3 years. I wanted to post my initial impressions in hopes of helping anyone on the fence make up their minds.

First off, let me start by saying I am pleasantly surprised with how much I like the 9900. If I am being honest, I had no intention of getting a blackberry for my next phone, but I received a Playbook for my birthday and was extremely happy with the device. My positive Playbook experience got me thinking about the bold, and the rest is history

Here is a list of the things I like about the Bold.

1) It is an amazing communication device. I think this is currently underestimated in the market. Yes, my Nexus S can indeed make phone calls, but the voice clarity is no where near the quality of the bold. I actually feel like I've jumped forward in time and have some new tech involved. I've always just assumed mobile phones sounded like just that, a mobile phone. The bold sounds like a land line and to me this was a new experience. To you lifelong BB users, you may take this for granted, but to anyone reading this like me who have never tried a BB, you will be amazed.

2) Signal strength is much stronger than my Nexus. I suppose this could fit into #1, but figured it deserved a special mention. Sitting in my basement, I would only get 1-2 bars on my Nexus if I was lucky. The bold gets 4-5. I couldn't believe it. If you need to pick up a better signal, you may want to keep this in mind.

3) The keyboard is great. I was never a fan of the touch keyboard on the iPhone, but I did get quite good at it. So much in fact, I would quickly dismiss someone who said they preferred a keyboard. I figured they just didn't give the touch keyboard a real chance. Then I got the Nexus, and was blown away by Swype. Again, was of the mind set that keyboard users had to try swype. It would certainly change their life. All this to say that as soon as I tried the keyboard, it all made sense. It is an interesting feeling having a keyboard for the first time. I feel more connected to the device. I know that sounds cheesy, but it is the best I can describe it. I do not type faster, nor do I make less mistakes than I do using swype (I think I can actually type faster using swype, certainly can using one hand), but that "connection" cannot be beat.

4) Push notification seem to work better, especially in Facebook and Twitter. Again, you can see the emphasis on communication.

5) BBM is excellent if you have peeps to chat with.

6) Notification light. Enough said.

Ok that is the good. Here are a few things I dislike about the bold in comparison to the iPhone and Nexus.

1) Apps quality/selection is a no contest. It is true that I can find most of the "popular" apps on App World, but the quality of the apps do not seem to hold up to the other marketplaces. Also the installation/removal of apps is ridiculously tedious. It seems you have to reboot after most installs/removals (which takes forever), downloading the app is slow even on wifi, and the cost of apps is far greater than on Android/iOS.

2) The screen size makes it slightly tougher to surf the web. Since I have a playbook, this doesn't really bother me personally, but it is something to consider. I will say that the screen quality (in regards to clarity) is amazing, so if your ok with the size, you should be all set.

3) Media is easier to play AND access on iPhones (itunes), and the larger screens on Android make consumption great. I think this is really a result of the screen size of the bold, otherwise it seems competent. As a side note, I was pleasantly surprised that I could sync my iTunes songs to the blackberry using desktop manager. I really wasn't expecting it to be that easy, but it was.

4) Integration with google services is not near as good as Android (specifically multiple accounts). This is obvious and makes sense, but even iOS handles multiple google accounts much cleaner than blackberry does.

5) Software upgrades are more accessible on iPhones and pure google (nexus) handsets. I have yet to experience this, but when BB10 is released I will not be able to upgrade to the OS. My wife has a bold 9700 she bought just over a year ago and she cannot run OS7. I suppose if the device can meet your requirements it does not matter, but with long cell contracts, it is certainly nice to be able to count on OS upgrades (in the iPhones case, the 3GS was able to upgrade to iOS5 3 years later).

So there it is, my first impressions. In simple terms you can say Android/iOS for media/apps, blackberry for communication.... but I felt there was more to that, and it may be useful to explain it a bit more. Hopefully I can help someone else make up their mind
    guzprom likes this.
    02-27-12 06:48 AM
    That sounds like a very balanced review. Nice job.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    02-27-12 06:57 AM
    Yes. Right on every issue. You may not be satisfied with battery, depending on your usage etc.
    02-27-12 07:09 AM
    Yes. Right on every issue. You may not be satisfied with battery, depending on your usage etc.
    Thanks

I found the battery on Rogers "Official" OS to be similar to my Android, so I was not as shocked as say a 9700 user might have been. Since upgrading to the leaked .267 OS, my battery life has dramatically improved. So much so, that I could have included it as a "PRO" (definitely against the Nexus anyways). However since it is only a beta release, I decided not to mention it as many users may not want to dabble in that unofficial world.
    02-27-12 07:22 AM
    Spot on, OP. I just came off a 3 month tour with a HTC Vivid. I freakin LOVED the thing.
    Android.....not so much. I'm a contractor and live my life @ 70mph. After an exceptionally intense couple weeks of putting out fires & "skeet shooting", I had to go back to my berry....90% because of the communication simplicity.
    Torch 9810 and a 64g PB....this will hold me over until BB10 drops.
    02-27-12 07:22 AM
    You know, most people here actually have very good inputs. I wonder if RIM's people ever just have alook and easily fix what people plainly states.. Sometimes we keep defending those 'negatives' that some people keep pointing out(I only do it coz it seems excessively biased, i'm a harsh critic as well). But when all is said and done, bottomline we want BB to stay mainly as it is.. and improve things like they buggy appworld which restarts after an install, better battery life.. etc.. nothing spectacular like a siri. Easy enough right rim?
    Don't disappoint.
    02-27-12 08:35 AM
    Even though the 9900 and other OS7 device won't get BB10 they'll still be updating the OS to maximize perfromance. Wish AT&T would relese 7.1, can't get to a PC to update and my Mac is older so can't do it on that either. Just have to wait for AT&T to relese now...
    02-27-12 10:23 AM
    Even though the 9900 and other OS7 device won't get BB10 they'll still be updating the OS to maximize perfromance. Wish AT&T would relese 7.1, can't get to a PC to update and my Mac is older so can't do it on that either. Just have to wait for AT&T to relese now...
    Yes very true, although even with OS 7 updates, I know I will find myself drooling over some new and improved features in BB10, haha.
    02-27-12 10:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD