Just bought a white 9900 from eBay for �35. I am an old BB user but have been on Android for about five years. My last phone was a 9780 which I loved but stupidly gave away.

I have an Android tablet and a new proper camera so figure I just need a phone for phoning and messaging now.

Will try using my 9900 as my main phone for a month and report back here my findings.

The only minor problem might be Evernote.

I was a power user previously so am looking forward to getting back in to it.

Will my app store login still work with my previously purchased apps? Is Spotify and WhatsApp still working on these phones? Skype?

Missed the CrackBerry community. It was the best phone community in the world before BB took a nosedive and the rot set in Still a bit sore about the whole Playbook debacle. Big waste of �400 that was.

Is anyone else still here?
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    06-11-15 04:36 PM
    Just bought a white 9900 from eBay for �35. I am an old BB user but have been on Android for about five years. My last phone was a 9780 which I loved but stupidly gave away.

I have an Android tablet and a new proper camera so figure I just need a phone for phoning and messaging now.

Will try using my 9900 as my main phone for a month and report back here my findings.

The only minor problem might be Evernote.

I was a power user previously so am looking forward to getting back in to it.

Will my app store login still work with my previously purchased apps? Is Spotify and WhatsApp still working on these phones? Skype?

Missed the CrackBerry community. It was the best phone community in the world before BB took a nosedive and the rot set in Still a bit sore about the whole Playbook debacle. Big waste of �400 that was.

Is anyone else still here?
    Your BlackBerry ID should still allow you to log in and the purchased apps should show and be able to be reloaded provided they still exist. The BlackBerry World for OS7 and below has been pretty much abandoned, very few update their apps (although the same can be said for OS10, but on a smaller scale).

As far as the 9900 and apps:

*Whatspp - is available and pretty decent, but is barebones vs other platforms or OS10 versions

*Spotify - is there, but I believe the app only addresses premium user accounts if I recall correctly the free service option can't be accessed

*Skype - NO. Never came to OS7 and below, never will.

I LOVE my 9900, I use it as a secondary device. Perfect still for messaging, lite social networking and lite Browser tasks... If the aforementioned apps are a priority, the Classic would be better suited. Excellent messaging, better app support, Skype works, Whatsapp is relevant, but Spotify is not there, however you can probably load the Android app (not a service I use any longer). But, Evernote comes pre-installed out of the box and is phenomenal!

Posted via CB10
    ODAAT likes this.
    06-11-15 06:28 PM
    Thanks. I will need to wait until my contract runs out next year to get a classic.

See how it goes- for �35 I haven't got a lot to lose. I have a premium Spotify accoubt anyway. I remember usung something called IMPlus for skype messaging. That will probably be suffice.

Thanks again.
    06-12-15 01:26 AM
    Evernote works just fine on the 9900. It's a little more limited than that found on some other platforms and (like most apps) doesn't get any updates on OS7 but I make regular use of Evernote on my 9900 (and my Q10) to access my numerous notes. The 9900 remains a very effective device, a communication work-horse, and it is what I tend to use throughout my working week - where email, SMS and telephony are the priority. My Q10 comes out at the weekend, when I want a better camera and browser.

--
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    CivilDissident likes this.
    06-12-15 07:31 AM
    Evernote works just fine on the 9900. It's a little more limited than that found on some other platforms and (like most apps) doesn't get any updates on OS7 but I make regular use of Evernote on my 9900 (and my Q10) to access my numerous notes. The 9900 remains a very effective device, a communication work-horse, and it is what I tend to use throughout my working week - where email, SMS and telephony are the priority. My Q10 comes out at the weekend, when I want a better camera and browser.

--
    The only thing with Evernote (while it does still function) is that they pulled support for OS7 and below devices as well as the PlayBook in February https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/...ry-7-playbook/ Evernote is no longer in BlackBerry World for the 9900

Just bought a 9900-screen_20150612_08429.jpg
    so unless Evernote is loaded to their 9900, they'd need to access an OTA link. I found version 3.4.359 OTA here: http://storeapp.dauden.vn/BlackBerry...3/Evernote.jad not sure if this is the last working version, but it's the 1st working link I located though it was posted in 2012 so not sure if it's a relevant version or not...

Posted via CB10
    ODAAT likes this.
    06-12-15 08:08 AM
    Awesome thanks peeps. Glad to see the CrackBerry community is rocking as ever. Not actually received my device yet so can't try it out.

Incidentally does it sync with Google? Contacts and Calendars? I know Google pulled support for old Nokia S60 devices ages ago.
    06-12-15 02:27 PM
    It looks as though the version on my 9900 is 3.6 (installed 5 Aug 2014) I don't know how to get the jad files

You could try this link Evernote Update to v3.5.423 for BlackBerry Smartphones - free blackberry apps download
    Hopefully this link is not breaching any CB rules - if it is I apologise and a moderator may well pull this post
    06-12-15 02:37 PM
    I loved the 9900, but you are going to have a tough time if you need a good GPS. BlackBerry Traffic no longer works, and Evernote already dropped support for OS7. If it weren't for BlackBerry Traffic being retired though, I would probably not have switched to BB10 yet.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 02:48 PM
    We have a satnav in the car and I could tether my Android 7" tablet if I really needed Google Maps. I also have a Garmin 310xt sports tracker watch for fitness.

I have slightly given up on one gadget doing all the jobs as the batteries are not able to keep up in any smartphone. Try using a smartphone for navigation, fitness tracking, photography, media, games and messaging and you need to find a power supply within a few hours. Better to have separate devices that do their job well and need charging less often.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    06-12-15 04:35 PM
    I figure my 9900 will be great for music, messaging and organisation. For everything else I have separate gadgets.
    06-12-15 04:37 PM
    I loved the 9900, but you are going to have a tough time if you need a good GPS. BlackBerry Traffic no longer works, and Evernote already dropped support for OS7. If it weren't for BlackBerry Traffic being retired though, I would probably not have switched to BB10 yet.

Posted via CB10
    I personally never used BlackBerry Traffic on my 9900, I always used Telenav which I felt was awesome (although it is not free, it was well worth the subscription) Telenav IS still supported by the way...

Posted via CB10
    ODAAT likes this.
    06-12-15 07:06 PM
    I figure my 9900 will be great for music, messaging and organisation. For everything else I have separate gadgets.
    Excellent for all the above with exception of the music (unless you are speaking strictly earphone use, in which case it is perfect!) as the 9900's speakers are not amazing.. I always used my BlackBerry Mini Bluetooth Speaker for those moments... Wonderful little device...
    Just bought a 9900-img_20150612_201602.jpg
    Just bought a 9900-img_20150612_201208.jpg

Posted via CB10
    ODAAT and BBerryPowerUser like this.
    06-12-15 07:20 PM
    I personally never used BlackBerry Traffic on my 9900, I always used Telenav which I felt was awesome (although it is not free, it was well worth the subscription) Telenav IS still supported by the way...

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the info.. I wasn't aware of TeleNav but I just did some checking and it looks pretty good. I had asked in another thread about BlackBerry Traffic alternatives now that it has been retired, but never found anything worthy. And if TeleNav is only 20 per year subscription, it's reasonable for legacy users who want a GPS app.

I do really like the Classic, but I was actually perfectly happy with my 9900. And I find the Classic's extra size and weight (even Z30 is lighter) make it a little awkward and cumbersome at times to use one handed, even with the trackpad.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 02:05 AM
    If you're in the UK, which is a guess from your purchase price �35, you could try M8 for a sat nav (see below). I have M8 and another app 'Navigator' (a BlackBerry app based on what was Goviko) on my 9900. Both were free and work fairly well for turn by turn navigation on UK roads. Whether they are still in BlackBerry app world - I don't know (I'm back on my Q10 for the weekend)

Some reference links:
    Check out M8 free UK sat nav with traffic and speed cams in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/18896417
    Review - http://m.crackberry.com/free-turn-tu...wn-good-measur

http://m.crackberry.com/blackberry-n...erry-beta-zone

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...13925/?lang=en

-- posted via CB10 on my Q10 --
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 06-13-15 at 03:25 AM.
    ODAAT likes this.
    06-13-15 02:29 AM
    We have a satnav in the car and I could tether my Android 7" tablet if I really needed Google Maps. I also have a Garmin 310xt sports tracker watch for fitness.

I have slightly given up on one gadget doing all the jobs as the batteries are not able to keep up in any smartphone. Try using a smartphone for navigation, fitness tracking, photography, media, games and messaging and you need to find a power supply within a few hours. Better to have separate devices that do their job well and need charging less often.
    Spare batteries for the 9900 are very compact and easily carried in pocket. SOP for me is to keep one in a stand-alone charger and a charged one in left pocket till used. After swap, spent batt goes to right pocket and gets swapped at first convenience with charged one out of stand-alone charger. Very effective and can restore "talked to death" 9900 to 100% in 3 minutes including re-boot... ready for call back. I also carry Classic but 9900's battery strategy, undersized for light weight compactness, is tough to beat when everything else is drained.
    ODAAT likes this.
    06-13-15 06:22 AM
    Hmmm. Device has arrived and I am not off to a brilliant start.

Getting BIS to work with Gmail is pretty tricky mostly due to Gmail's reliance on security (which I guess is a good thing). After submitting a million passwords I have finally got my Gmail working but won't sync contacts or calendar from the same account despite the relevant boxes being ticked.

Also won't sync my Exchange work account calendar or tasks- again just email.

I am starting to remember why I moved to Android where everything just works....
    06-17-15 12:53 PM
    My 64gb memory card from S3 mini also doesn't work
    06-17-15 01:48 PM
    I think that the limit for the 9900 may be a 32GB card; don't forgot how old the 9900 is.
    I'm using Google to sync mail, contacts and calendar. I do recall that it was very fiddly to set up but now it's running seems to work well.
    I also use MSExchange for my work Email and although I don't sync tasks, the calendar with exchange appointments etc seems to function well.

--
    06-17-15 03:01 PM
    For a so called business device not to sync Exchange calendars and tasks is insane. It's hard to waste time on this when I have a �100 Android that works off the bat.
    06-18-15 12:52 AM
    Using a 9900 in 2015 and beyond is going to be a challenge, and there are certainly 'easier rides' available, be that with a newer BB10 device, Android or iPhone.
    The problems you highlight should be resolvable; I use my 9900 with gmail, calendars and contacts and also to access my work MSexchange email and calendars. It is not as flexible or easy to set up as BB10 but it does work, and I far prefer the calendar & contact apps on my 9900 over that of my Q10.
    Personally, I am happy to tolerate some of the peculiarities and limitations of BBOS and the 9900 because it enables me to 'work' more rapidly & efficiently. At the weekends it's back to my Q10 where I continue to play with BB10, hoping that it will eventually evolve into the ultimate operating system; it is getting there but, in my opinion, the 9900 remains superior when it comes to processing, composing, editing large numbers of emails, dealing with telephone calls, SMS texts etc. But I recognise that this is not for everybody and realise that the 9900 & BBOS's days are numbered.

--
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 06-18-15 at 03:06 PM.
    jrsva2008 likes this.
    06-18-15 02:16 AM
    I still use my bold 9900 from time to time. Using it now for five days in a row, and once I start feeling withdrawl of bb10, I'll be rocking my classic again.

Typed using my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk for BlackBerry 7.1
    06-19-15 12:06 AM
    I still use my bold 9900 from time to time. Using it now for five days in a row, and once I start feeling withdrawl of bb10, I'll be rocking my classic again.

I keep my 9900 as a secondary... I like my Classic as my daily driver, BUT the 9900 is an excellent relief in many daily situations for many reasons... Sometimes I'm feeling Bold other times I'm feeling Classic, and then at times I feel Boldly Classic! (or is it Classically Bold?) Meh... Toe-mate-toe. Toe-mott-toe...

Posted via CB10
    DarkJoker33 and rayporsche like this.
    06-19-15 06:45 AM
    I keep my 9900 as a secondary... I like my Classic as my daily driver, BUT the 9900 is an excellent relief in many daily situations for many reasons... Sometimes I'm feeling Bold other times I'm feeling Classic, and then at times I feel Boldly Classic! (or is it Classically Bold?) Meh... Toe-mate-toe. Toe-mott-toe...

Posted via CB10
    It does feel awesome to have both devices to use and switch to at a swap of a sim.

06-20-15 01:15 AM
    It does feel awesome to have both devices to use and switch to at a swap of a sim.

During a pretty intense and NOISY plant startup, last month, I used both simultaneously. 9900 in left hand dedicated to my crew. Classic in right hand dedicated to client's plant personnel. VERY effective. Good to keep conversations separate, at times. Lol. I usually carry both unless the Classic is drained & I don't anticipate needing its browser or other strengths for the night. Coworkers, management, secretary, family and a handful of VIP clients know 99 is always with me.
    06-20-15 09:04 AM
    I too just purchased a lightly used 9900 online that should be here by Friday. I'm pretty excited. I have wanted one for years, but my 9780 has been more than fine as a business phone.

Here is the thing. I don't use the Berry as much as I do the Playbook via BRIDGE to do email and Text and Web Browsing. This way I really don't miss apps nor the small size of the 9780 because I'm not using it, I'm using the Playbook. Yes, I have a large new touch screen phone on another network as a personal phone while the Berry is the business line. I have had an iPhone 4s and a WindowsPhone Nokia 521 and now an LG Volt Quad Core large screen Android. But the 9780 or any decent legacy Berry works just fine with BRIDGE to a Playbook even to this day because you really are just PORTING EVERYTHING THROUGH THE PLAYBOOK and using the Playbook as the smartphone. The Playbook basically becomes a large Berry Portal. I just carried the 9780 in my bag or pocket for phone calls. Everything else when through the Playbook, and the only thinf I had to replace in the last six years on that old 9780 has been the battery. And only ONCE. Amazing really.

My 9780 is STILL working great with no issues at all. I'm keeping it as a backup if the 9900 fails. So too is the Playbook - working like a Swiss watch. When I get the 9900 this Friday, I'll set it up, transfer my contacts, and BRIDGE it to the Playbook and I'm done.

The only thing I am slightly concerned about is the smaller Battery on the 9900 VS the 9780, but the form and function of the 9900 is well above the 9780 so I will be fine with it regardless. I may even use the Berry more now with its larger keyboard and touch screen and faster OS with 7.1 VS OS 6.

For what I finally got this 9900 for online, I could not resist. It was $59 delivered and is guaranteed to be 9 out of 10 on cosmetics and fully functional or my money back. I also found OEM Docking Station, Hard Shell BB OEM case and a ballistic case online for pennies on the dollar because the 9900 is now considered Legacy. Good for those of us using one. The accessories are cheap!

Looking forward to an upgrade to the 9900 after six years with the 9780! What a testament to durability, eh? Six years as my primary business phone for the 9780. Amazing.

Can't wait until Friday!
    06-23-15 05:31 PM
28 12