02-10-12 03:49 AM
53 123
tools
    I actually was thinking about that yesterday. A lot of my BBM friends have been broadcasting their goodbyes recently, stating that they are moving towards iphone. The list has been increasing.
    3 of them were actually die hard BB fans, owned the 9900 for a while and loved it.
    Well sometimes i flirt with the idea of switching to iphone when i would be reading a magazine or checking out some new awesome app, and then i find out its only available on iphone. But am sticking to BB until now. My priority is still business versatility, keyboard bliss, and the fact that wherever i land, i have a connection on my phone (having a global BB connection is a lifesaver compared to Data roaming on iphone or android)
    02-08-12 02:00 AM
    The question is always asked is the keyboard on a BlackBerry enough for you to stay with them? For me it is because I use my device for email, texting and of course phone calls. I don't have hardly any apps and the last person on BBM went to the iPhone months ago. I used the Razer Maxx and I have to admit I liked it a lot. I hate virtual keyboards because I have huge hands but since the Maxx has such a big screen I could use the keyboard very well. I know RIM has an "iPhone" like device coming out this year at some point which I think is sorely needed. RIM has to go after that iSheep crowd in order to survive. What bothers me is if the iPhone5 has LTE I'm going to be hard pressed to stay with RIM. Even though BlackBerries are not multimedia heavy devices requiring a super fast data connection the general public don't see any LTE devices from RIM right now. RIM could knock it out of the park if they release an LTE Berry AND the Playbook 2 at the same time. Unfortunately I think we all know that's not going to happen
    02-08-12 02:43 AM
    I'm curious, how do you delete contacts in bbm? Thanks in advance

Highlight and delete

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    02-08-12 03:11 AM
    Haven't experienced it as all of my friends are Blackberry users except for one (iPhone user).
    Last edited by Ammunet91; 02-08-12 at 10:21 AM.
    02-08-12 10:17 AM
    6 months ago I had 68 BBM contacts. I'm down to 18 as of today
    Wow. This is so sad
    LMG1963 likes this.
    02-08-12 10:22 AM
    I have no BBM contacts. Lost my last one a few weeks ago when he got an android. Now all the apps that link to BBM have all that extra functionality that I don't need. I don't even need BBM but yet I can't delete it.
    02-08-12 10:37 AM
    Exactly why I do not and will not use a closed messaging system. If everyone can't use it what good is it unless everyone you know or might meet would have to be on the same system. Not happening because we still have choice for now. I only use what anyone else could no matter what OS or device they use.
    02-08-12 10:45 AM
    i have no more BBM friends. There was a time when I had my fiancee, brother and sister in law on bbm, but now they all went to Android. People in the building i work in are switching from BB to iOS or Android too. And to top it off, this morning on the train to work there was only one BB in the whole car. Rim should really think of a strategy to stop losing cuztomers or else there will be only a few hundred die hard fans left in the US.
    02-08-12 11:29 AM
    So sad, I went from 127 BBM friends to 53.. More than half my contacts jumped ship when the iPhone 4S came out.. I couldnt believe it!
    02-08-12 12:32 PM
    I've never used BBM so will refrain from comment on that.
    As for people leaving the Blackberry marque? Their loss and in my experience more come back than stay away.
    AlienSlacker likes this.
    02-08-12 12:43 PM
    I've never had a big bbm list. The most I've ever had on there was 4. A lot of my friends are all about the droids or iphones.
    02-08-12 12:50 PM
    Its the other way around for me. People leaving their iphones/droid to come to BB for bbm and physical keyboard. I am a victim hehe.
    02-08-12 12:51 PM
    Sadly yes. I'm down to one BBM contact. Everyone else has flown the coop to android or iPhone and they all tell me how silly I am for sticking with Blackberry (love my 9930). Hoping RIM turns things around soon.
    02-08-12 01:12 PM
    My BBM list has been pretty stable for the last year or so. Averages around 30, and I'm down from a high of 48 because of attrition and weeding out some who never chat much in the first place.
    02-08-12 01:21 PM
    I actually have BBM deinstalled as none of my friends have a Blackberry at all. And if they do, I prefer a multi-platform tool like WhatsApp. From what I read and have heard, BBM was a huge selling point, but not any more.
    02-08-12 01:55 PM
    I remember when my friends left NExtel and the "Chirp"

You get over it.
    anon(73368) and anon(73368) like this.
    02-08-12 02:28 PM
    I have one person left on my BBM. I'm trying to get my family and friends back on BlackBerry for BBM. They're stuck on iPhones.
    02-08-12 02:32 PM
    It's weird because when I first got the Pearl 8100, I knew no one with a BlackBerry. Then other people started getting that phone and the 8300/8310/8320, and a few of us jacka$$ 19/20year olds got really cool and mature and got the 8800/8820 because it was so grown up! By this point, everyone I knew had a Curve 83xx with a different color rubber skin. Sitting down at a table with friends, everyone's BlackBerrys were on the table, and whenever someone got a text or BBM, multiple people looked at their phones because some people never changed the default tones. Almost everyone I knew had BBM.

Slowly, people started getting other BlackBerrys. I got the 8900 and the 9000 because I never wait the full length of time to upgrade, and all of the upgraded features in the newer phones were enough to attract me. The styling of the 8900 and 9000 were, in my mind, the first really flashy ones. The chrome bezels, the high resolution screens, the 3.2MP camera on the 8900, plus its combo of GPS AND WiFi, the awesome speakers of the 9000 and its ultra high-end look.

What's this have to do with dwindling numbers of BBM friends? Well lots of people I know DO wait to get their upgrade. And they were so happy with their 83xx Curves, that they upgrade. And what do they get? After experiencing the inevitable and unavoidable nastiness that the original trackball brought, many people I know got the 8520/8530 Curve, as it has the trackpad. Yes the screen on my 8900 was nicer, but it still had the trackball--a huge turnoff for the average person that doesn't want to take apart the trackball unit. Oh and sorry, RIM, but the word "Atomic" in front of "trackball" doesn't mean much to people. A trackball is a trackball to most people, you know?

Fast forward to the times of Android and heavier iPhone usage... people all of a sudden "hated" their BlackBerry. And after playing with an iPhone, how could they NOT be blown away by the things it could do compared to the 8520 or whatever low-end BlackBerry they had? This is when I noticed a rapid decline in the BBM friends I had. The annoying hour glass, the freezing, the battery pulls. After having the 8520, which was a very basic phone, my guess is that a lot of people left BlackBerry and our BBM lists with a bad taste in their mouths.

I think it's safe to say that the average smartphone user doesn't browse forums of each brand of smartphone to see what people say. I've never hated my BlackBerry. Not for one minute. But I've always bought the best ones that money could buy (except for the P9981).
    Battery pulls were never a huge gripe for me. I use my 9810 and 9900 for pretty much the same things I've used all my BlackBerrys for.... some browsing on the web, emailing, BBMing, as a PHONE (remember that?).

BBM is really advanced now. The people that have left always say "but I do miss BBM." My mom has a 9780 and I set her list up, so she is friends with me and my sister. Using BBM everyday, I forgot how much it truly does...until I was giving my mom a lesson. The sending of locations, a voicenote, a picture really quickly, an appointment.

I have an iPod touch with iOS5 and iMessage. It is no BBM-killer. It doesn't even make a real attempt at BBM's life. Does anyone give Apple sh1t for putting things out that are half-baked? Because that's what iMessage is. It is so overtly bland and basic, Apple is just lucky that they have 38756293847 apps to distract iOS users from seeing what a joke iMessage truly is. BBM on my Pearl in 2007 walks all over what iMessage is in 2012.

So to the people we've lost on BBM lists? iMessage is eating your data. And if you're lucky, your wireless provider will automatically bump you up to the next expensive data plan, to SAVE you money in overages, or simply throttle your data speeds after you've exceeded the not-so-unlimited plan you're on. Aren't they thoughtful? I am literally looking at iMessage on my white iPod touch and BBM on my 9810 with its OtterBox Commuter case on. Apple's iMessage is a carrier pigeon compared to what RIM's BBM is.

But then again, Apple is known for inventing the messaging game in the same way that RIM is known for inventing the app game: it isn't.
    Last edited by SK122387; 02-08-12 at 05:46 PM.
    02-08-12 05:40 PM
    have about avg 120 bbm friends and some 10ish active groups.
    i don't care if i lose some friends because they want to switch brands.
    it wouldn't even hurt me, their choices, i gain some lose some idem.
    whatsapp & BBM they are both fine for me.
    02-08-12 05:50 PM
    No BBM contacts left as of 2 weeks ago.....most I had was 36. Most left for iphone...
    LMG1963 likes this.
    02-08-12 07:46 PM
    In my last school year, two non-users became BB-users and 4 BB users upgraded to the newest 9800 (me being the 3rd to do so), 2 BB users upgraded to newest Pearl.

This school year, 2 BB to Android, 1 BB to iOS, rest of non-Smartphone users all went with Droid or iOS. Me and another girl are the only BB users that upgraded to the new 9900.... Everyone else is 'waiting for BBX' or mostly 'waiting for iPhone5'.

*sigh* When I said I was getting a new phone on FB without mentioning which one, people ask if i was 'jumping ship'. Seems like the general population, including BB users, have just lost faith in RIM and expect it to die soon. Those who never experienced it just accept it as fact.
    02-08-12 10:31 PM
    6 months ago I had 68 BBM contacts. I'm down to 18 as of today
    How eerily similar to the price of RIM stock.
    02-08-12 11:04 PM
    I have 1 lonely BBM contact...my manager Everybody is is iPhone/Android
    02-09-12 07:58 AM
    I never had any BBM contacts, and have never used BBM. I'd delete it, but that seems to cause problems with other apps that want to hook into it.

Outside of a corporate scenario where everyone on a team can be expected/required to have a BB, I don't think a single-platform messaging system is especially relevant. My wife has an iPhone and my son has an Android phone, and we use Kik successfully.
    02-09-12 08:03 AM
    it is sad going around the town (NYC) and at school, there are so few blackberries and almost no new OS 7 ones. I'm starting to believe those who say a year from now RIM will no longer be with us, in the US at least.
    02-09-12 10:46 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD