The new Blackberry phones are now imminent and since I suspect there are some posters here that actually work for RIM how about some PR talking points for those of us who end up getting these new Berry devices.

What I'm specifically after are things that the Blackberry does as well or better than an iphone or Droid. We already know we can't compete on the App front or the video conferencing front so with what we do have to work with how can we build value to those we come into contact with?

I know, this sounds a little odd & like something someone in a religion would do but we are all here on Crackberry and are indeed inside a cult of sorts.

I've always appreciated the way Blackberry does it's email and the solid way the phone itself is built so we have those things we can preach the gospel about. What about other things ( I don't know about ) that OS7 will allow us to do.

Please, no one mention "liquid graphics" - a Droid or Iphone user will laugh us out of the room if we mention that. I'm talking about Business related and social related features on the device.

How can we help sell RIM and do our part to insure our favorite phone mfg has the time to develop a killer of smartphones smartphone?
    08-04-11 11:57 PM
    Calling people.
    Typing "rac rh" is a lot easier than scrolling for Rachel Rhee.

Typing out long messages.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-11 12:01 AM
    For a start, update the native PIM apps to improve functionality.
    08-05-11 01:00 AM
    Wow. This is truly sad.
    thain72, twigg and Dayvidpriddy like this.
    08-05-11 01:07 AM
    For a "social related" feature to tout, the new BBM integration with Wikitude is pretty impressive. In fact BBM integration with apps going forward will be good as well. But the Wikitude stuff works right away.
    08-05-11 02:52 AM
    On the basic consumer level, you won't change anybody's mind if they are already looking at an iPhone or Android phone unless they don't know anything about smartphones and the first one they ever see is a 9900.

Btw, Liquid Graphics is a big selling-point.
    08-05-11 03:58 AM
    What they really need to do is start keeping up with phone updates and then surpassing them. They don't need to have a better processor because the iPhone 3G had an inferior processor to most androids at the time. Which were starting to sport the 1ghz processors. The iPhone ran it's os much more smoothly than android at that point. This proves the numbers aren't 100% say all is the best device. It's how well the device's os and hardware work together to make the best user experience. Os 7 looks very promising. If RIM keeps improving on this and makes phones that are on par hardware wise with apple and android they could be at the top of the pyramid.
    08-05-11 04:41 AM
    wow. This is truly sad.
    lmao @ it...rofl!!!
    08-05-11 05:42 AM
    For one LiquidGraphics is a selling point, the fact it has a name isn't a detractor to how it works and makes the device smooth, THAT WAS a detractor before about BBOS that has been fixed with liquid graphics

Next, and really to the main point, The Keyboard, has been and for at least the near future will remain a major celling point for BlackBerry devices. IF you don't NEED a keyboard you have the privileged to look at most Android, Windows 7, and iOS devices. but when physical typing is something you require the BlackBerry wins hands down. far to many on this forum, seem to just wipe away the thought of a keyboard when they say that the BlackBerry is inferior, yet no one can show a superior Portrait keyboard form factor

the Social integration will be continued with SocialFeeds, BBM with new Social elements such as FourSquare, wikitude, BlackBerry's Facebook, and Twitter apps are both extremely well done, and with the faster devices I'm sure the current hiccups will be gone.

Short cut keys abound! 25 keys I believe can be made into short cut keys on the keyboard. gets you to calling the people you want to call faster.

if showing off a 9900 use the speakers! with reports they are equal to or better than the 9000 this is something people can appreciate if they use speaker phone, or use their device to play music without a headset, the iPhone, and the Galaxy 1 have nothing on the 9000 in terms of volume and clarity, so the 9900 should prove even better.

Those are just starting points, I'm sure device in hand there will be more, but some of these are selling points for the existing BlackBerry line let alone the fun to be had
    08-05-11 08:23 AM
    How can we help sell RIM
    You can't. Only RIM can help RIM by making devices people actually want to buy.
    08-05-11 08:29 AM
    im sure battery is going to be better to. Might not be 9700/9780 good, in fact it surely wont be but still better than android for most of the new models. Iphone 4/5 are still going to be neck and neck with the new models i think on the battery topic
    08-05-11 08:35 AM
    If showing off a 9900 use the speaker! With reports it is equal to or better than the stereo speakers in the 9000
    Fixed that for you

08-05-11 08:39 AM
    Please, no one mention "liquid graphics" - a Droid or Iphone user will laugh us out of the room if we mention that. I'm talking about Business related and social related features on the device.
    Actually, "Liquid Graphics" is a big deal to Android users: they are still waiting for GPU-accelerated UI. It's not obvious even to BB users what a big deal some of the OS7 advantages are. Android does not have GPU-accelerated UI, and neither iOS nor Android has JIT JavaScript acceleration for standalone web apps. See my post here.
    08-05-11 08:42 AM
    You can't. Only RIM can help RIM by making devices people actually want to buy.
    And NOT taking 9 forevers to release something decent.
    08-05-11 09:02 AM
    Actually, "Liquid Graphics" is a big deal to Android users: they are still waiting for GPU-accelerated UI. It's not obvious even to BB users what a big deal some of the OS7 advantages are. Android does not have GPU-accelerated UI, and neither iOS nor Android has JIT JavaScript acceleration for standalone web apps. See my post here.
    The new Androids & possibly iPhones with their updated specs will probably be superior so forget about going head to head with them.
    anon3396357 likes this.
    08-05-11 09:13 AM
    The new Androids & possibly iPhones with their updated specs will probably be superior so forget about going head to head with them.
    When people find they have to compare a BlackBerry against products that do not yet exist, I think RIM is in pretty good shape.
    08-05-11 11:51 AM
    I don't see what is exciting about the new iPhone anyway, as far as I can tell they still haven't dealt with the fatal flaws regarding email, notifications and battery life which drove me back to Blackberry. So they can make it as thin and fast and slick as they like, it's still not going to do what I want it to, unlike Blackberries. My old 9000 is still more useful to me than an iPhone 5.

08-05-11 12:28 PM
    I don't see what is exciting about the new iPhone anyway, as far as I can tell they still haven't dealt with the fatal flaws regarding email, notifications and battery life which drove me back to Blackberry. So they can make it as thin and fast and slick as they like, it's still not going to do what I want it to, unlike Blackberries. My old 9000 is still more useful to me than an iPhone 5.

iphone 4 battery life is generally very good. And iOS 5 revamps the notifications a great deal. so technically the current gen iphone does fix many people needs. the iphone 5 will be even better
    08-05-11 12:39 PM
    the new BBM integration with Wikitude is pretty impressive
    That sounds interesting and like something that could help - I never heard of that and need to read up on it....
    ...Every bit helps.

On the basic consumer level, you won't change anybody's mind if they are already looking at an iPhone or Android phone unless they don't know anything about smartphones and the first one they ever see is a 9900.

Btw, Liquid Graphics is a big selling-point

That's what I'm worried about and the reason for this thread. To a large degree phones are like cars in that if a person can see a successful individual or what they think is a successful individual using a particular phone the person wants the same thing, if for nothing else it makes them feel better about themselves & it does not matter if phone is not practical for the person who wants it. It only boils down to the person knowing such and such an exec uses such and such a phone and they want it because perhaps in some way they feel they look more professional by having other people see them using that phone.

I work for a moderate sized corporation that 3 years ago had EVERY person in management using a blackberry - along with a significant population of the employees - the first to "flip" were the owners, rapidly followed by every manager with the exception of me and to a large degree most of the employees now are sporting Droids or iphones.

My point is that RIM isn't loosing it's hold on corporate America, it's LOST IT already....
    ....This isn't to say they can't come back and regain a healthy portion of what they've lost.
    ....And a big part of this come-back will require a grass roots action from folks like us.
    ...Combined with RIM producing phones that can hand apple and droid it's collective "donkey" in areas of business.

You are absolutely right about cracking the nut of someone who has their mind made up about an iphone or Android....
    ...This is why ALL the focus must be concentrated on the business user.
    ...Who would be observed using a blackberry at a high end lunch meeting or reading an email in front of the Columbia center.

That's the kind of advertising power RIM needs right now simply because they are a long way from being able to do what a Droid or Iphone can do for social / media type things.

Derussett made some good points that I will comment on later but that will have to be later...
    ...Thanks everyone for so far making comments on this - if anything it may help RIM to see what it really needs to do to make a come-back.
    Last edited by pythons; 08-05-11 at 01:12 PM.
    08-05-11 12:47 PM

But all of those apps and sleek look. . .the only thing I honestly like on my iPhone is the mp3 feature. Nothing else. Wish I noticed it sooner so I could've returned the darn thing.

If it wasn't the fact that we're so close to getting the 9900/9930 I'd probably switch to 9650 right now. I just don't want to pick one up and suddenly it's confirmed they'll be out by the end of the month.
    08-05-11 01:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD