Mine doesn't work when it's laid down
    09-12-11 08:02 AM
    Mine work laid down. I've just tried as many different positions/angles as I can and its still responding

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-12-11 09:12 AM
    OK, so I read thru all replies here and I call it 50/50 -

But I noticed one thing which is true:

If I put in on the table and touch the screen only (as I did before writing this post in the first place), it does not respond at all.

As soon as I touch the bezel (it doesn't matter which palm I use) while touching the screen, it works fine.

So I guess those people who tell that it works, touch it while "grabbing" the phone entirely or at least partially.
    Mine works regardless of me touching the phone or not...have it laid on my desk and just using my finger the touchscreen works perfectly fine...even if i hold the phone and use my other finger to touch the touchscreen it works.
    09-12-11 09:17 AM
    I dont think the proximity sensor would have anything to do with what hes experiencing. Hes saying if he lays the phone down on something, im assuming face up, the phone doesnt respond to input.

The proximity sensor is on the front of the phone and only activates when something comes within about an inch of the sensor during a call. When activated, the sensor only turns off the screen and refuses all input towards the screen. The hard buttons will still work even though the screen is off, you just wont be able to see what its doing.

So because the proximity sensor only turns the screen off and refuses touch input when the screen is off AND only during a call, I dont see how the proximity sensor could be the culprit as the proximity sensor has no clue when the phone is upright or laying on its back.

Just my 2 cents!
    Maybe RIM installed his proximity sensor backwards. :P
    09-12-11 11:57 AM
    Mine works but not as well. I noticed the same as others as soon as you touch the bezel it works normal.
    Very eratic and wierd sensitivity issue. Touch then smash to get a response, laggy to smooth,odd.
    takeo likes this.
    09-12-11 12:25 PM
    Maybe RIM installed his proximity sensor backwards. :P
    lol, your funny.
    09-12-11 12:37 PM
    Ok folks, so I figured out this problem.
    Some other posts were onto it anyway:
    Basically the device and finger (ie you) need to be electrically grounded. The touchscreen is unresponsive because it does not have a proper ground to complete the circuit. I have the same problem in my car where I tried to put the phone in a cupholder, only to have this issue. Then I tested it on other parts of the car and in the house, at different angles, and sure enough anytime I put it on a surface well insulated, the screen bugged out on me.

So no, it's not your phone, don't bother returning it. It has nothing to do with the phone being laid down flat. It is the nature of the beast. Other touchscreen phones have the same issue. I've been looking it up and apparently the issue can vary depending on the phone, so perhaps the 9900 is more prone to this issue because of it's construction, but it's nonetheless a known issue with capacitance screens.

Anyway, now I'm off to find a way to ground my phone so I can use it as a GPS in my car.
    Last edited by nikolas4129; 09-13-11 at 12:50 AM.
    takeo likes this.
    09-13-11 12:46 AM
    Lol mine works on any surface i place it on...either you guys got defective devices or your doing it wrong.
    thats what she said........
    09-13-11 11:15 AM
    Basically the device and finger (ie you) need to be electrically grounded. The touchscreen is unresponsive because it does not have a proper ground to complete the circuit. I have the same problem in my car where I tried to put the phone in a cupholder, only to have this issue. Then I tested it on other parts of the car and in the house, at different angles, and sure enough anytime I put it on a surface well insulated, the screen bugged out on me.

So no, it's not your phone, don't bother returning it. It has nothing to do with the phone being laid down flat. It is the nature of the beast. Other touchscreen phones have the same issue. I've been looking it up and apparently the issue can vary depending on the phone, so perhaps the 9900 is more prone to this issue because of it's construction, but it's nonetheless a known issue with capacitance screens.

Anyway, now I'm off to find a way to ground my phone so I can use it as a GPS in my car.
    you sure? It worked for me before and now my screen fades out and i cant use any touchscreen capability doing the same things i did before.
    09-19-11 08:04 PM

Bullsh!t - mine works ANYWHERE with my finger, foot...etc, so does my iPAD, iPOD touch, Garmin Nuvi 3790 capacitive touch screen and any other capacitive touch screen I've used...me grounded or not. I don't know where you read this crap or if you just make it up as you go...but you obviously haven't got a clue of what you're talking about.
    09-19-11 10:31 PM
    My touchscreen does not work if it is (1) not plugged in, (2) perfectly flat on a table and (3) touched with one finger. No response at all under those exact conditions. Anything changes, and it works fine. It is a minor annoyance as sometimes in a meeting I will have it on a table and try to check my email -- have to use the trackpad.
    09-22-11 10:16 AM
    Might I add from the android side of things. My Droid X doesnt work if i put it on my bed or coffee table but it works just fine on my desk. The touchscreen seems to have stopped or can only work to a certain point. I believe there is a youtube video that display this very issue for my phone. However as soon as it is picked up touching the hand it works perfectly.
    09-22-11 10:47 AM
    I just tried this with my phone. The touch is definitly not as responsive when sitting on my wooden table. I even leaned it against my coffee cup stood up and it was still resistant to touch. As soon as I let another finger touch the metal it reacted right away.

It that the screen and frame need to be contacted together for the touch to work well. Makes sense that the screen needs that grounding type contact to work.
    09-22-11 11:02 AM
    mine is also the same, but in my case its caused by the antispy screen protector, when i remove it. the screen works normal. ie: respond when touched with 1 finger. is it possible that the screen cant ground to our finger because of the screen protector? but this NEVER happen on my other touch phones even with screen protector on.
    i even try touching the screen with 1 finger only and didnt touch any other parts with the screen protector attached and the phone on my bathroom floor, and it works. but on any other surface, the screen wont work without me touching the metal side
    09-28-11 08:59 PM
    mine works, no problemo
    09-28-11 11:35 PM
    so heres my lil story.
    phone worked perfect that i know of naked, no issues
    added privacy screen protector and touch seems to work intermittently.
    read this about the laying flat on table stuff and played with the phone nonstop extensively(about 10 mins lol) in case out of case flat standing etc

conclusion...its the damn stainless steel siding.
    i never took the privacy screen off the phone during this
    phone flat progear case on/off, no skin touching stainless steel while using touch = touch doesnt work
    touch the stainless steel with my thumb while i use the touch screen = works FLAWLESS

only difference is doesnt seem to have any touch issues case or no case with privacy screen on when it is standing upright at most angles.

strange but maybe the stainless steel bezel completes the little static electric circuit from fingerip back around to the phone...if any of this makes sense lol

my question is, is my phone defective or is tis normal ont he bolds...i still have some time to return in my 14day window
    06-07-12 05:01 PM
    That would concur with the finding above, but I don't have this issue on any of my 9900's, furthermore, if the finding were correct, then the phone would exhibit the same symptoms with a case on it, at all times, since with a case on, the phone would again NOT be "grounded". The grounding theory IMO - is a load of crap. I tend to believe it has something to do with the accelerometer, not the steel trim around the phone.
    Last edited by FBA; 06-07-12 at 10:12 PM.
    06-07-12 10:07 PM
    Mine doesn't work when flat on its back.
    06-07-12 10:37 PM
    That would concur with the finding above, but I don't have this issue on any of my 9900's, furthermore, if the finding were correct, then the phone would exhibit the same symptoms with a case on it, at all times, since with a case on, the phone would again NOT be "grounded". The grounding theory IMO - is a load of crap. I tend to believe it has something to do with the accelerometer, not the steel trim around the phone.
    my phone does exhibit the same problem WITH the progear/proguard? style hard shell case and holster combo.

i can even press my thumb into the cutouts for the different ports and tada...screen works again lol.

its strange and not every single time...i dont think its the accelerometer for the simple reason that i can, while its laying down, touch bezel ever so slightly = screen works, dont touch = screen doesnt back n forth over and over

other times i just lay it down and it keeps working. i never noticed this issue until i put the screen protector on the other day but my phone is literally 8 days old
    06-07-12 11:39 PM
    All right, I have noticed it too, If you how ever touch the stainless steel part of the phone it how ever enables the touch screen no matter if you are holding the phone or its on the table
    And if i put my phone in a case and then on the table the touch screen works fine and if taken out then it doesn't so yeah
    06-08-12 01:56 AM
    I used to use the iPhone and other touch-phones and pad laid down on the table and touch... for surfing etc.

I thought it was me, but the BB 9900 seems to disable the touchscreen if laid on the table. Currently running .353 and it doesn't react to any touch input if put on the table but immediately works flawlessly if picked up.

I think its reasonable and interesting so I wanted to share this find.
    Do you have a screen protector on your Bold 9900? If so, that explains everything.
    06-08-12 08:32 AM
    Mine is working fine when laying flat & not touching the steel.

Idk why yours isn't, might wanna take it in & get it check out maybe?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-08-12 10:58 AM
    Mine works fine lying face up on any surface, with or without the TPU case. I don't have to touch the bezel or anything except the screen.
    06-08-12 11:25 AM
    My torch did this.... If I remember right, just on our leather couch (WTF?)

9900 doesnt though
    Yea this happens too on my 9900, just on my leather couch, but if I place a finger or two on the metal side, still on the couch, the screen responds when touched! Weird!!!
    06-10-12 02:54 PM
    Sorry for my bad enligh, but you're right, some part of your hand has to be touching the metal circunference of the phono for enable the touchscreen, when I put a skin to my 9900 the touchscreen looses avility, is a bad thing that you cant disable this function on the phone!
    01-01-13 03:38 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD