Hi there, I just wanna report this piece of information obtained from a O2 rep in Westfield, London. I got a friend who's contract was up soon and just pretend he was looking at the BB 9900 as a potential upgrade. So, we both sat down and spoke to a rep and asked him about the 9900. The rep then pulled up the O2 database system and we saw it was due on September 12th. The rep then said that the phone is to be available online from September 6th but in-store on the 12th September.

Take it with a grain of salt. We (me and friend) then went to Selfridges for the Playbook launch there. and asked another rep from carphone warehouse and he said that the reason there is a slight delay ( he predicts late august, early september -no specific dates - ) because the carriers in UK has yet to decide who to stock how much and the tariffs they are offering it for. After they decide, then it will be ready for the masses.

p/s i didnt know that in about 6-8 weeks time, the playbook will be (software) upgraded to support android apps. o_O seriously considering the combo of BB9900 and the Playbook. Cant Wait! ^_^
    06-18-11 05:41 PM
    Still hope for Vodafone. Phones4u put up their coming soon page for the 9900, well it's not really a coming soon page, it's the webpage that will be used when carriers start offering contracts, either way it's preparation to start selling them on behalf of atleast one carrier.

blackberry bold 9900 contract mobile phone from phones 4u
    Last edited by tif; 06-18-11 at 06:06 PM.
    06-18-11 06:03 PM
    Yes, I really hope vodafone will start offering it earlier.

Thanks for the info! Great find. I think definately take it with a pinch of salt though. This may be extremely accurate but if all tests and what have you are finished earlier than they expect, this may be moved forward.

If any carrier knew an exact release date, that would announce it as it would also bring more interest and attention to them.
    06-19-11 06:47 AM
    I hope vodafone will stock it earlier too! Went on a o2 simplicity plan just so i could move to any carrier that stocks the bb earliest.

Seems to look like the UK will get (or potentially) get the BB9900 earlier than the US. hmmm .. seems weird but oh wells. Will go back next week and ask another rep in another shop. haha. or at least to show that there is demand for the BB9900 and make them push the date forward. muahahaha.
    06-19-11 11:47 AM
    I hope vodafone will stock it earlier too! Went on a o2 simplicity plan just so i could move to any carrier that stocks the bb earliest.

Seems to look like the UK will get (or potentially) get the BB9900 earlier than the US. hmmm .. seems weird but oh wells. Will go back next week and ask another rep in another shop. haha. or at least to show that there is demand for the BB9900 and make them push the date forward. muahahaha.
    if you're going to another, go to vodafone
    06-19-11 01:10 PM
    Chaza720, thanks for the tip. are most crackberries (users) on voda?
    06-19-11 02:11 PM
    Most users of CB are either Canadian or American. So no. But from what I see, most CB users from the UK are with vodafone. So kinda...

That's why I think it would be more beneficial to query at vodafone. Especially as their are rumours (only rumours, nothing else), that the bold touch will come out on vodafone before any other Uk carrier. But nobody knows if thats accurate information. So if you do get one of the reps to look into their DB, that could be a major clue.
    06-19-11 04:18 PM
    Hmmm. I'm from the UK and am using a very long-standing and favourable O2 tariff.

I will NEVER buy a carrier-branded phone of any kind, and I hear Vodafone particularly are pretty heavy on bloatware and boot screens.
    No thanks.....I'll have mine as RIM intended.

I'd advise you wait to get it unbranded from Carphone Warehouse or online sim-free if buying outright.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-11 03:52 AM
    everyone knows someone that can unlock them ^_^ I like o2 for not stamping their logo on phones. but weather its network restricted it doesn't bother me, ive had the same o2 number 10 years, so if its o2 locked it doesn't effect me. if I change networks, ill just take my number with me

06-20-11 04:08 AM
    Not gunna lie, I don't mind having my pphone with vodafone stamped on it. I'm not ashamed of being with vodafone. I wen from VF to orange, to O2 and back to vodafone again. For me, coverage, customer sevice, deals and what not are the best on vodafone. I'm proud to be with them and will not change. So why cares if my phone says vodafone when it starts up? Not me. How often do I start it up? Not very often at all as my phone basically is on all the time.

I'd rather compromise branding for great service all round :P
    06-20-11 04:25 AM
    Completely agree. Correct tariff for coverage and personally-negotiated deal are completely subjective.

My point was that I don't want (and would therefore never advise anybody) to have a carrier mess around with my technology. RIM spends millions and takes (too many) months/years in R&D, so why then have it filled with a load of unstable/buggy money-spinning cr@p by the network before point of sale. Screw that.

06-20-11 04:34 AM
    Completely agree. Correct tariff for coverage and personally-negotiated deal are completely subjective.

My point was that I don't want (and would therefore never advise anybody) to have a carrier mess around with my technology. RIM spends millions and takes (too many) months/years in R&D, so why then have it filled with a load of unstable/buggy money-spinning cr@p by the network before point of sale. Screw that.

Yeah, I respect your opinion, but it proves that people are sheep. You just believe what you hear and don't experience it.

I have NEVER had a buggy/slow/unstable phone from vodafone. Just putting in a startup splash screen, and a link to vodafone live and what not does not make the phone slow and buggy. I have no idea where you got that from.

Probably about 80-90% of people I know are with vodafone. There is a reason behind that.
    06-20-11 07:31 AM
    all I'm saying is... what is the main reason people are with a carrier? To get a phone and contract. I vodafone made their phones sh*t, nobody would chose them. Simples.
    06-20-11 07:32 AM
    ...it proves that people are sheep. You just believe what you hear...

Probably about 80-90% of people I know are with vodafone. There is a reason behind that.
    Hilarious! Perhaps it's not I who is a sheep?!

You'll forgive me if I trust a manufacturer over a money-grabbing network.

06-20-11 08:10 AM
    Hilarious! Perhaps it's not I who is a sheep?!

You'll forgive me if I trust a manufacturer over a money-grabbing network.

Wtf is up with people on here, I constantly wonder why people promulgate the myth of the perfection of buying unlocked as if it's some sort of nirvana. What I want to know is - how do you survive without insurance? I'm on my 6th or 7th handset (of the same model) - all replaced under my phone insurance within the last two years. How can you be a power user and not knacker/break your phone every few months? You must have to carry it in some sort of armoured, waterproof case and just look at it for a couple of minutes a day. I'd take the trade off of total piece of mind with carrier insurance and the inconvenience of having a removable theme any day, geez.
    06-20-11 08:43 AM
    I'm covered under the 'away from home' items rule of my house insurance policy. It cost me an additional �11 per year.

I think O2 quoted me �7.50 per month. I'll leave you to do the math.

Yawn.

06-20-11 08:58 AM
    I'm covered under the 'away from home' items rule of my house insurance policy. It cost me an additional �11 per year.

I think O2 quoted me �7.50 per month. I'll leave you to do the math.

Yawn.

If you switch to VF, that will be cheaper. You do the math.

And okay, so you're phone is under you're house insurance. And so how much will it on that cost you to make a claim? enough to make it not so worth while after all for a phone.
    06-20-11 09:30 AM
    Hmmm. I'm from the UK and am using a very long-standing and favourable O2 tariff.

I will NEVER buy a carrier-branded phone of any kind, and I hear Vodafone particularly are pretty heavy on bloatware and boot screens.
    No thanks.....I'll have mine as RIM intended.

I'd advise you wait to get it unbranded from Carphone Warehouse or online sim-free if buying outright.

LOL you sound exactly like me my friend...i always ALWAYS buy my phones sim free as like your good self i absolutely loathe the crap the networks put on the phone....at the moment i have a white 9780 which is unlocked but has the voda boot up....i got it earlier this yr as part of my upgrade as i sold my Torch which was also sim free...but definitely the 9900 will be sim free when i get it.

Some good news in this thread, lets hope the sim free version isnt too far away.
    06-20-11 09:57 AM
    The nature of their business as a home/contents insurer should tell you that they are used to far larger claims than simply �500 for a telephone.

I had the misfortune of having my bike stolen last year, which is also covered under the same portion of the policy, and after admittedly a little form filling I had a brand-new �3000 replacement delivered only three weeks later.
    My premium did not go up one single Pound.

Aaaaaaanyway....to get this back on track (mainly because I don't have the time or inclination) I'd like to thank the OP for the information, as I too am anxiously awaiting release.

Last edited by GenusRubus; 06-20-11 at 10:00 AM.
    06-20-11 09:58 AM
    ...I had a brand-new �3000 replacement delivered only three weeks later.
    Holy moly. Dude - carrier insurance is next or same day replacement. Not sure I could go for three weeks with no BB!

Looks like we've got release dates pretty much set for the 9900 doesn't it? Late August/early Sept seems to be where it's at, although I'll keep hoping for earlier!
    06-20-11 10:14 AM
    Holy moly. Dude - carrier insurance is next or same day replacement. Not sure I could go for three weeks with no BB!

Looks like we've got release dates pretty much set for the 9900 doesn't it? Late August/early Sept seems to be where it's at, although I'll keep hoping for earlier!
    Ha, yeah....it was painful missing my bike for that long too. I have a drawer full of spare phones, so it wouldn't be a problem in that respect if I were to break one. I can't go without for three minutes, let alone three weeks!
    The reason it took such time was because of the police report, and overall value of the item. I doubt very much that a phone would take long at all.

Pretty sure RIM understand the severe need to get this one 100% right, so are taking their sweet time. I don't mind....I can wait. Honest.

06-20-11 10:24 AM
    Wow wow, this thread has turned into a Carrier vs. non-Carrier war. fight fight fight fight ... no best not! hahaha

i understand the whole issue here. In fact, i have a friend who does the whole insurance thing with o2 with her iPhone (precious thing for her!) *Golem* But, unlike me i like the er, virgin feel of a freshly minted BB. If it smells of the factory so be it. Having a VF stamp on it such as my other friend with his VF Formula 1 McClaren cap, shirts, shorts, underwear... don't ask.. its a mark of loyalty and some people can live with that. Then I have a spoilt kid of a friend (JEALOUS) with the Monocle limited edition BB. which is to die for. but oh the price tag *faints*

So, all in all, we all like different things about different providers (non-carrier phones included). But i have a question for now... that perhaps the VF people can explain to me.. about the Voda's BB email service? The girl at the counter wasnt the brightest of sorts and couldn't give me a proper answer. So my question is, what is the Voda BB email service for? Like o2 BB tariffs doesn't say anything about a special BB email service. Care to elaborate people?

Thank you!
    06-20-11 05:56 PM
    Wow wow, this thread has turned into a Carrier vs. non-Carrier war. fight fight fight fight ... no best not! hahaha

i understand the whole issue here. In fact, i have a friend who does the whole insurance thing with o2 with her iPhone (precious thing for her!) *Golem* But, unlike me i like the er, virgin feel of a freshly minted BB. If it smells of the factory so be it. Having a VF stamp on it such as my other friend with his VF Formula 1 McClaren cap, shirts, shorts, underwear... don't ask.. its a mark of loyalty and some people can live with that. Then I have a spoilt kid of a friend (JEALOUS) with the Monocle limited edition BB. which is to die for. but oh the price tag *faints*

So, all in all, we all like different things about different providers (non-carrier phones included). But i have a question for now... that perhaps the VF people can explain to me.. about the Voda's BB email service? The girl at the counter wasnt the brightest of sorts and couldn't give me a proper answer. So my question is, what is the Voda BB email service for? Like o2 BB tariffs doesn't say anything about a special BB email service. Care to elaborate people?

Thank you!
    Not 100% sure, maybe someone can confirm maybe. It's just RIM's push email service. So you don't have to pay an extra whatever a month for it.
    06-20-11 06:05 PM
    The network logos scratch off the front of the handset really easy, usually just a sharp thumb does it, or nail-polish remover. As for the startup screen logo, that usually goes with an os update

06-20-11 06:14 PM
    The network logos scratch off the front of the handset really easy, usually just a sharp thumb does it, or nail-polish remover. As for the startup screen logo, that usually goes with an os update

Nail polish remover? I'll try that one day.
    06-20-11 06:21 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD