G

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

09-26-09 02:46 PM
    wen this baby gets official?
    09-26-09 10:16 PM
    No thanks.

I'm the type that wants ONE remote for my TV/DVD/Cable Box.

Not 385.

If the touchscreen is meant for navigating, and the trackpad is for navigating there is no need to have TWO.

It would clutter the device.

Why not add TWO Steering wheels for cars?
    i totally agree with you. if they really wanted to add the touch screen they should have leave out the track pad and make the screen bigger like the old leaked design. bb screen are 65k colors anyways they wont be eating battery crazy like 16m colored screen
    01-19-11 08:16 AM
    This is a really really old thread. But if we are breathing new life in to it, lets keep the old argument going......

For starters, it looks like the device will drop with both touch and trackpad. I am glad. I could not imagine using a screen as small as this with touch only and keyboard shortcuts. Speaking of shortcuts, If the argument is why have both touch and trackpad as it is redundant, why have shortcuts on the keyboard and a track pad? Surely, one could do everything needed on the device with shortcuts only? For me the trackpad, I assume, will help navigate and select items on the screen better than the touchscreen or more aptly put, my fat fingers. So I prefer both and am glad it has both.

Besides, didn't you state in another thread that you weren't a fan of touchscreen anyway? What phone are u using now? I'm on the 9700 and the only thing I think it lacks is touchscreen. I think it would be very handy in some situations.

Chad
    01-19-11 04:45 PM
    This is kinda depressing...how much people got hyped up for it and never came...

Oh well, time tells all. I wonder who moved this over here...

01-19-11 07:46 PM
    Hot off of N4BB.com's twitter feed @11:38pm:

True fact #1: Montana aka Dakota has a metal frame, not plastic
    12 minutes ago via �berTwitter

Sounds good to me!!!
    01-20-11 11:10 PM
    This is a really really old thread. But if we are breathing new life in to it, lets keep the old argument going......

For starters, it looks like the device will drop with both touch and trackpad. I am glad. I could not imagine using a screen as small as this with touch only and keyboard shortcuts. Speaking of shortcuts, If the argument is why have both touch and trackpad as it is redundant, why have shortcuts on the keyboard and a track pad? Surely, one could do everything needed on the device with shortcuts only? For me the trackpad, I assume, will help navigate and select items on the screen better than the touchscreen or more aptly put, my fat fingers. So I prefer both and am glad it has both.

Besides, didn't you state in another thread that you weren't a fan of touchscreen anyway? What phone are u using now? I'm on the 9700 and the only thing I think it lacks is touchscreen. I think it would be very handy in some situations.

Chad
    Also some games work way better with touchscreen interface. Angry Birds anyone? (Well I can be hopeful -- LOL).

01-22-11 03:38 PM
    Just because Iphone doesn't have a trackpad doesn't mean a touch screen bb shouldn't have a trackpad..I personally love to have both touch screen and trackpad like Torch...so handy and useful to navigate the screen.

02-09-11 08:27 AM
    Hot off of N4BB.com's twitter feed @11:38pm:

True fact #1: Montana aka Dakota has a metal frame, not plastic
    12 minutes ago via �berTwitter

Sounds good to me!!!
    This is the one of only two "features" that might entice me to pay cash for the Dakota. Not saying their aren't plenty of good reasons for others, but I don't feel like my 9780 is missing anything besided a bit of swag and AFSA.

02-09-11 09:11 AM
    Just because Iphone doesn't have a trackpad doesn't mean a touch screen bb shouldn't have a trackpad..I personally love to have both touch screen and trackpad like Torch...so handy and useful to navigate the screen.

Right! No way one more user input option can be a bad thing. Worst case, if you really don't like it, just don't use it. But I still find it very handy many times, even on the Torch where its location isn't quite as convenient as on thje Bold. The trackpad is BB's stamp on smart phone usability - it stays!

02-09-11 09:29 AM
    i think redudancy is a great thing. lets say the touchscreen is not working (ie you crack the screen) then you can recover all your information and navigate your bb using the trackpad.

there are a lot of redudant features that increases the utility of things.
    1) my laptop has a trackpad, but i also use a usb mouse. the mouse is redudant, but it is much easier to use. and the trackpad is great to use when i am away from the office.
    2) cars that are automatic or semi auto. the car runs well on its own in auto mode, making the manual mode redudant. but its fun to use the paddle shifters or stick to shift gears.

and i 100% agree, if it really bothers you that much, just dont use it.
    02-09-11 12:02 PM
    There are a lot of good use cases that support having both the trackpad and the touch screen. If I am composing and email message and my thumbs are oriented to the keyboard it will often be much more convenient to use the trackpad for selection or moving the cursor. If I am showing someone photos from a gallery it will be great to be able to use the touch screen to flip through the photos or pinch and zoom.
    Last edited by kmbauer; 02-10-11 at 08:58 AM.
    02-10-11 08:54 AM
    There are a lot of good use cases that support having both the trackpad and the touch screen. If I am composing and email message and my thumbs are oriented to the keyboard it will often be much more convenient to use the trackpad for selection or moving the cursor. If I am showing someone photos from a gallery it will be great to be able to use the touch screen to flip through the photos or pinch and zoom.
    And there ya go. Text entry, selection and editing is a perfect example of where the trackpad is more adept than the touch screen, while flipping through photos or book pages is an ideal use for finger swipes on a touch screen. I love having the choice in different situations, and now I don't think I could have another phone without both.

02-10-11 07:15 PM
    If the touchscreen is meant for navigating, and the trackpad is for navigating there is no need to have TWO.

Take a look at that 9710 photo thread - I swear that pic has no trackpad. Like the back and menu keys join in the middle.
    02-11-11 06:26 PM
    It is an old prototype.

Take a look at that 9710 photo thread - I swear that pic has no trackpad. Like the back and menu keys join in the middle.
    02-12-11 05:18 AM
    I was so excited to this as I just got my first BB two weeks ago and it is a Bold 9000. I have used all touch screen HTC phones for the last several years and loved but hated them (damn fat fingers). I love having the navigation of the trackball but miss a lot of the features of a touch screen. I will wait out my upgrade for the dakota for sure.
    02-16-11 06:58 PM
    No thanks.

I'm the type that wants ONE remote for my TV/DVD/Cable Box.

Not 385.

Why not add TWO Steering wheels for cars?
    LOL, that is most unnecessary example I've ever heard. Ppl love choices. And I'm sure once you have tried it, You will get one. Os6 has parts that u just wanna touch. Like wouldn't it be easier to swipe panels with your finger than the trackpad. Or zoom in the web browser.

02-17-11 12:23 AM
92 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD