ok so word on the streets of columbia avenue in waterloo is that its now going by the code name dakota (one of my unnamed friends got to play with it)

1) it is touch and keyboard
    2) it looks similar to the bold
    3) has the new trackpad
    4) has a completely new OS with dragable icons, he was completely amazed by the OS and has not seen anything like it before (he is hard to impress btw)
    5) of course...no pictures...sorry guys
    09-02-09 12:26 PM
    I can believe this because I did hear a little while ago that rim and hewlet packard wr workn together on a os and hp does have software that let's u move the icons and stuff with your finger by touchn the screen and dragn them
    09-02-09 12:58 PM
    Hp is indeed working with them on something but did not know what it was on, I did hear that as well, I just didn't put the two together before

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-09 01:15 PM
    Oh snap. Well screw the Essex. I'm going Dakota
    09-02-09 10:40 PM
    Yah, interesting.
    09-02-09 10:44 PM
    well of course the essex is CDMA...and since the dakota is the flagship model it will be GSM
    09-03-09 11:25 AM
    Isn't this the Magnum? Or is the Magnum the same as the Dakota?
    09-03-09 11:43 AM
    ok so word on the streets of columbia avenue in waterloo is that its now going by the code name dakota (one of my unnamed friends got to play with it)

1) it is touch and keyboard
    2) it looks similar to the bold
    3) has the new trackpad
    4) has a completely new OS with dragable icons, he was completely amazed by the OS and has not seen anything like it before (he is hard to impress btw)
    5) of course...no pictures...sorry guys
    When you say looks similar can you say it's the same size as the Bold? Nice big keyboard?
    09-03-09 12:41 PM
    this baby is all mine. my bold will be replaced by this workhorse.can't wait.
    09-03-09 05:26 PM
    the BOLD 2 is the onyx, see the other sub forum, called 9700 ONYX

it should be launched soon.

However that dosent mean there is no phone that is being worked on with HP.

remember the HP iPods ? iPod+HP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    09-03-09 10:05 PM

pretty sure the onyx is not the successor of the bold therefore it is NOT the bold 2. However, the onyx is in the bold series and is offered as a newer GSM version of the bold in a smaller form factor.
    Last edited by bozo089; 09-03-09 at 11:18 PM.
    09-03-09 11:14 PM

The Onyx was never really the "Bold 2" - it was played around with - and seemed to be so when the model number was 9020. Now it's the 9700 and the Bold 2 idea has apparently been dropped.
    09-04-09 09:11 AM
    Why have a touchscreen AND a trackpad?

Seems superfluous.
    09-04-09 11:04 AM
    Why have a touchscreen AND a trackpad?

Seems superfluous.
    How so? Why not have the option of using either/or? There are plenty of things that could be better done with a touchscreen and plenty others that are best with the trackpad. I'll take both if I can have them in a BB Bold form factor, heck yeah.
    09-04-09 11:35 AM
    No thanks.

I'm the type that wants ONE remote for my TV/DVD/Cable Box.

Not 385.

If the touchscreen is meant for navigating, and the trackpad is for navigating there is no need to have TWO.

It would clutter the device.

Why not add TWO Steering wheels for cars?
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 09-04-09 at 02:41 PM.
    09-04-09 12:32 PM
    No thanks.

I'm the type that wants ONE remote for my TV/DVD/Cable Box.

Not 385.

If the touchscreen is meant for navigating, and the trackpad is for navigating there is no need to have TWO.

It would clutter the device.

Why not add TWO Steering wheels for cars?

This is a joke right?

What if the touchscreen is just for specific applications, giving the BB capabilities that it otherwise wouldn't have?

Maybe you would be able to turn it off and on as you desire or have it only be turned on by certain apps that are better with a touchscreen.

Your "385 remote" metaphor is way off as this isn't like having multiple remotes, it's like having 1 remote that does more and enables you to get rid of other devices you might otherwise want/need.

This isn't like having two steering wheels in a car. That would be a metaphor to use if they put 2 trackpads on it. This is more like having a boat that has a normal steering and also a bow-thruster to help navigate in certain situations.
    09-04-09 01:13 PM
    LOL This is a joke right?

Why even have a touchscreen if your not going to use it.

TWO Seperate forms of navigation is excessive.

Android phones have it-

It's stupid.

Just make a touchscreen GOOD enough, that won't rely on TRAINING WHEELS.

And no, my metaphors aren't off.

Your just trying to dance around the jist of my points to prove your own.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 09-04-09 at 01:25 PM.
    09-04-09 01:18 PM
    LOL This is a joke right?

Why even have a touchscreen if your not going to use it.

TWO Seperate forms of navigation is excessive.

Android phones have it-

It's stupid.

Just make a touchscreen GOOD enough, that won't rely on TRAINING WHEELS.

And no, my metaphors aren't off.

Your just trying to dance around the jist of my points to prove your own.
    I'd leave the touchscreen on - you might want it off because you have some issue with it that I don't understand. You might want to be able to turn it off and only have it enabled in certain situations. It's hard to tell without actually testing the device.

You are being very closed-minded about this. It's not stupid to innovate and use multiple technologies to try and improve the interface of a device.

Coming from a touchscreen device to my Bold, I have always liked the idea of having both in the Bold's form factor. I like touchscreen for certain uses but there is no touchscreen comparable to the Bold's keyboard for typing, so I wouldn't give it up.

Your metaphors were indeed off; I explained why with clear metaphors of my own which you are free to argue against if you have anything other than "no they're not" to say.

My point is that you are hating on an idea that you've never tried and obviously don't care to think about. Why do you even care? You don't have to buy it if you don't want it.

EDIT: Btw Android phones have slider keyboards, which is not what we're talkinga bout. Palm has released several successful devices with both a front keyboard and touchscreen. The question is whether RIM can successfully intergrate the two technologies on their own hardware/software.

I think you should go argue against all the people in this thread who agree with me:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f150/tr...screen-293651/
    Last edited by jeffreii; 09-04-09 at 01:54 PM.
    09-04-09 01:45 PM
    I'd leave the touchscreen on - you might want it off because you have some issue with it that I don't understand. You might want to be able to turn it off and only have it enabled in certain situations. It's hard to tell without actually testing the device.

You are being very closed-minded about this. It's not stupid to innovate and use multiple technologies to try and improve the interface of a device.

Coming from a touchscreen device to my Bold, I have always liked the idea of having both in the Bold's form factor. I like touchscreen for certain uses but there is no touchscreen comparable to the Bold's keyboard for typing, so I wouldn't give it up.

Your metaphors were indeed off; I explained why with clear metaphors of my own which you are free to argue against if you have anything other than "no they're not" to say.

My point is that you are hating on an idea that you've never tried and obviously don't care to think about. Why do you even care? You don't have to buy it if you don't want it.

EDIT: Btw Android phones have slider keyboards, which is not what we're talkinga bout. Palm has released several successful devices with both a front keyboard and touchscreen. The question is whether RIM can successfully intergrate the two technologies on their own hardware/software.
    Android devices, such as the G1, The My Touch 3G, and the Soon to be released HTC Hero-

All have 1 TouchScreen, and 1 TrackBall. (Excluding the G1's slide out keyboard)

If the Palm devices you mentioned above were as successful as you say, then why would Palm be in the Financial mess they were in when those phones were released?

Mind You, those palm devices had a touchscreen AND a keyboard. No trackpad, scrollwheel, hamsterwheel, or what have you.

ONE or the Other.

Why have two methods of input when you can have ONE streamlined method of input?

Just makes sense.

I am not close minded-

I am realistic.

BRB while I go install another doorknob for my front door...

Just in case I want to open it 8.5 inches higher than normal....

PS-

I'm not "arguing".

I stated my opinion, you replied to what I stated.

This is how I feel, end of story.

It may not make you feel warm and fuzzy. Great.

End of story, moving on...
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 09-04-09 at 02:08 PM.
    09-04-09 01:59 PM
    Android devices, such as the G1, The My Touch 3G, and the Soon to be released HTC Hero-

All have 1 TouchScreen, and 1 TrackBall. (Excluding the G1's slide out keyboard)

If the Palm devices you mentioned above were as successful as you say, then why would Palm be in the Financial mess they were in when those phones were released?

Mind You, those palm devices had a touchscreen AND a keyboard. No trackpad, scrollwheel, hamsterwheel, or what have you.

ONE or the Other.

Why have two methods of input when you can have ONE streamlined method of input?

Just makes sense.

I am not close minded-

I am realistic.

BRB while I go install another doorknob for my front door...

Just in case I want to open it 8.5 inches higher than normal....
    Why not have two streamlined methods of input? One being better in certain situations and the other being superior in others? When it comes to touchscreen and trackpad, neither is perfect in ALL situations. Therefore, combine them to create a better experience.

This is not a 2nd doorknob on your door. This is having a door that can open in, out, or slide to the side. More options works better in different situations. Go to the thread I referenced in my last post and tell everyone there that they're morons like me. Good luck.
    09-04-09 02:08 PM
    Your metaphors are completely off.
    09-04-09 02:08 PM
    Your metaphors are completely off.
    Why?

10 char
    09-04-09 02:12 PM
    Okay, back on topic........

Enough personal attacks... Any more and all parties involved risk account suspension.
    09-04-09 02:25 PM
    /sigh

You fail to grasp the whole concept.

Why can't we expect RIM or whoever to make things simpler?

Why do you want to have to have several forms of input, when only ONE should suffice?

Anything more is excess.

I don't know what you expect your BlackBerry to do, in order to warrant MULTIPLE navigation keys.

And now that you have nothing to revert to, cheap attacks are next.

Original.
    Because, for the fifth time: a touchscreen has weaknesses. A trackpad has weaknesses. Combine them together and they corroborate to create a stronger device. Keep the keyboard because it's the best method of text input. What's the result? A better device.

You have this fear of your BB being "cluttered" by a touchscreen and it's totally ridiculous. Imagine using your BB - take my Bold for example - I NEVER touch the screen because that would be dumb - it doesn't do anything when I touch it. Now let's say it magically has become a touchscreen. I can still use it EXACTLY the same way I always used it and never touch the screen. Nothing changes except when I am suddenly presented with a situation where it would actually be faster to press the screen to select something rather than scroll over the with trackpad, I have that OPTION. And that creates value.

I'm not asking you to accept a device that has 2 trackpads or two seperate touchscreens like your metaphors about adding a 2nd doorknob or 2nd steering wheel. It's about making a device that can do more and has fewer weaknesses.

It's amazing that I'm being analytical and explaining all of my thoughts and you continue to ignore anything of substance and only offer failed metaphors and unexplained fears of clutter...and this desire for everything to be perfect and simple the way it is.

Think of a computer mouse. It used to be just two buttons. Maybe one actually. Now they have a scrollwheel and maybe some side buttons. You can still ignore those things and use the 2 buttons and be a happy old fart who's scared of the other two methods of input, or you can find value in being able to scroll or having other features at your fingertips that you once did not have.
    09-04-09 02:28 PM
    I'm the type that wants ONE remote for my TV/DVD/Cable Box. Not 385.

Why do I need a remote control to power on my TV, then use the other to power on the cable box, then use the other to control my DVD player, and then the other one to adjust the volume?

When I can just have ONE remote that can control everything?

In the end, they all do the same thing.

Why add TWO Steering wheels for cars?

A steering wheel controls your car.

It can turn it right, it can turn it left, it can keep it straight on course.

Why do I need TWO to keep it going straight?

Well?

Why have a TrackPad, and a TouchScreen?

They BOTH will navigate the screen, they BOTH will select options for you-

What improvement would that bring?

In the end, its the same.

There is nothing the screen could accomplish that the trackpad/trackball could not.

The only PLUS I could see in having TWO forms of navigation, is if RIM decides to produce a BlackBerry with another SUBPAR touchscreen.

~~~~

Of course having 2 trackpads/trackballs is ridiculous.

I agree-

But in essence having a touchscreen AND a trackball is the same.

They perform the same functions.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 09-04-09 at 02:36 PM.
    09-04-09 02:34 PM
92 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD