I've circled November 9 on my calendar. That is the day my upgrade is available from Verizon and, after investigating both iPhone and Droid, I'm looking forward to getting a Bold 9330. I don't use many 3rd party apps and all of the ones I do use work on OS 7. From everything I've read and the experiences I've had using the demo model at Verizon, I have no doubt this phone is going to be near perfect for me.

But in the back of my mind I'm concerned that once the QNX phones are released app developers and RIM will forget about OS 7 phones and concentrate on the "latest and greatest." I can see there being fewer and fewer apps and no OS updates for the Bold 9900/9930. Anyone else have this concern?
    09-16-11 08:45 AM
    Get it from Bestbuy if you can. They're warranty allows you to get a new device when it releases for the difference of your current device and the new device. I will get my hands on QNX the day it releases and with my warranty il probably end up paying $50 bucks more for a brand new device.
    09-16-11 08:49 AM
    Im not concerned about OS7 support from RIM, even the bold 9000 recently got a OS upergrade... and the 9000 is like 3 years old and on OS 5.

About apps... im concerned about not just for OS 7.
    But i dont care much about mobile games and all importent apps are also available for BB OS.
    09-16-11 08:52 AM
    This question really answers itself. Any common sense will tell you that anything you buy today, be it a car, a TV, a cell phone, will de-value when newer models are released. The real question is,what will the phones value be TO YOU, should the QNX phones be released. I do believe that eventually when QNX comes out, OS7 will drift off into the sunset. Who knows though. If RIM doesn't REALLY blow the roof off this joint with their new phones, RIM in general may drift off into never never land only to be a distant memory. Apple and Google are working to hard in making their devices far more capable of what Blackberry is doing. BUT, I Love Love Love the keyboard on this thing, so its a hard choice. Blackberry + Ipad 2 or 10.1 Galaxy Tab seems like a pretty darn good combo if you ask me. (Yes I left out playbook) lol
    09-16-11 09:03 AM
    Well since the carriers here in Romania suck when it comes to prices and upgrades, and with the QNX stuff around the corner ( well, i should have signed for a 2 year upgrade anyways), i just bought myself the 9930 at full price. This way, i have my upgrade ready for new stuff. But I want a phone with a keyboard, hopefully there will be a QNX phone with a kb! I really don't want touchscreen only phone.

Regarding apps, I think that indeed, most of the devs will focus on new devices. But by the time that happens, all the apps will be os7 compatible. There will be a problem with bringing them up to date with features available in their new releases for other platforms. Also, i think most devs who now develop apps for more platforms, will just stop doing stuff for BB and make just Android version, since new phones will run them. Hopefully, they will run them with no problems. It would be a killer to have a BB device running the native Android Google Maps .
    09-16-11 09:09 AM
    RIM said yesterday that QNX is primarily for the NA mid to high end device market. They will be rocking BB7 for low end and throughout the world for a long while yet.

It's not getting left behind by any means.
    09-16-11 10:08 AM
    It won't get left behind. Example: when the FX Nikon cameras came out, everyone said DX was dead. So untrue.
    09-16-11 10:32 AM
    I've read/heard that RIM will be updating OS7 devices to QNX in the future
    Obviously won't be when the new QNX phones come out.
    Never know.
    Although me myself aren't bothered. This phone is great for me and what I need it for.
    09-16-11 10:53 AM
    I, too, use FEW apps (the OS 7 browser is so fast apps for weather FedEx Tracking and stuff are pointless). I waited on OS6 and MY upgrade coincided with VZW's PRE-sale...IF you're one to worry about the "newest" then "sit on" your upgrade...BUT I promise you will NOT be sorry with your 9930...left behind by RIM or NOT (not likely...by VZW=MAYBE)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-11 11:45 AM
    I've read/heard that RIM will be updating OS7 devices to QNX in the future
    Obviously won't be when the new QNX phones come out.
    Never know.
    Although me myself aren't bothered. This phone is great for me and what I need it for.
    I don't think it will be possible without slowing down the Bold 99xx because 99xx has a single core processor which will slow down so bad to the point most of us will walk away from RIM phones.

So, I think we will get more updates for the OS7, but QNX will be on their new dual-core phones.
    09-16-11 12:29 PM
    I, too, use FEW apps (the OS 7 browser is so fast apps for weather FedEx Tracking and stuff are pointless). I waited on OS6 and MY upgrade coincided with VZW's PRE-sale...IF you're one to worry about the "newest" then "sit on" your upgrade...BUT I promise you will NOT be sorry with your 9930...left behind by RIM or NOT (not likely...by VZW=MAYBE)

I'm still going to get the Bold 9930 and I'm sure it will be great. I was at Verizon last weekend and went to several sites was amazed how much faster the browser is. No way I'm sitting on my upgrade in the hope something better is coming down the road.

09-16-11 01:17 PM
    I doubt that RIM is taking the time to write QNX code for the 9900.
    09-16-11 01:26 PM
    OS7 is actually very stable with the releases out there right now, so... It's not like there's a laundry list of things that need to be done in OS7 that aren't released yet.
    09-16-11 01:30 PM

But in the back of my mind I'm concerned that once the QNX phones are released app developers and RIM will forget about OS 7 phones
    So what if they do? Just get a QNX phone if you like 'em. Keep using old faithful if you dont.
    1.Dont let your phone do the talking for you.
    2.You always have a choice.
    3.Verizon can be big pushovers if lean on them just right.
    09-16-11 04:34 PM
    will the new qnx phones have a keyboard? or will it be full-touch screen? that would be great if sometime in the future the bold 9900 can upgrade to qnx...
    Mikey112 likes this.
    09-16-11 05:15 PM
    I switched from the iphone 4 and find os7 on the blackberry much better and just as fast than the iphone. I find it loads web pages faster which is awesome. So I'm content with os7. QNX will interest me with the second generation phones to use them. OS7 maybe an updated os but, it's not a fresh new operation system that will be fresh to the market with bugs and glitches. OS7 is very stable and reliable. And that's what I want. Doesn't mean QNX won't interest me when it comes out but, I know now it's better to wait atleast for the second installation of an OS than the brand new fresh off the press generation.
    09-16-11 07:32 PM
    will the new qnx phones have a keyboard? or will it be full-touch screen? that would be great if sometime in the future the bold 9900 can upgrade to qnx...
    If the 99xx was upgradeable to QNX (which from what I gather from cb talk, they won't be) but even if they were, RIM would do exactly what they did with the Bold 9000 and OS 5. Remember that? Took FOREVER to get an official os5 for the 9000

09-16-11 11:33 PM
    .. it's great if the 99XX could share the enjoyment of a QNX based OS but if not I'll be sure to get the 2nd generation of RIM's QNX phone knowing how RIM is... lol...
    09-17-11 10:58 AM
    Far as im concerned, ill only get a QNX device if and when they put out a 9900-esque model which is running QNX...at the moment i think the 9900 will have a decent shelf life but i do hope that by this time next yr there will be a hardware keyboard version of a QNX BB phone.
    09-17-11 11:30 AM
    A few weeks ago I was still using my old 9700. I wanted the 9900 really bad but I asked myself if I would be happy withthe new phone for two years no matter what. The answer was yes because of the form factor. The QNX phones will be all touch at first, I have a playbook so I want a keyboard phone to go with it regardless.
    09-17-11 12:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD