I am liking my my 9930 #2 from a build and quality standpoint just as much as I enjoyed #1. The track-pad sits lower in the menu keys than #1 but it's straight and centered. The replacement's OS seems to be less laggy but maybe because I am only on day 2 with it.
    One thing certainly different on my replacement is the battery life. My average discharge rate on my original unit seemed to settle in at about a 6-7% discharge rate per hour during the day of pretty heavy usage. The battery was almost always close to 10% when it finally made its way back to the cradle at bedtime.
    Day two of my replacement and meterberry is telling me an average discharge rate of 4.1% per hour with the same type of usage. 3 hours 32 minutes used (including 44 minutes 29 seconds of talk time and 34 minutes inside of messaging applications) 8 hours 50 of standby and I am sitting at 44% charge as I type this. This only being the second charge cycle I am hoping its only going to get better.
    One thing that's obvious comparing the battery logs from each device is that my replacement doesn't take nearly the hit to the battery during phone calls as my original.
    My personal experience kinda sums up what we all have been reading on 9900/9930 boards, some people's battery life is great and other peoples not so much. I bet it will all get worked out either through software updates, identifying differences in the manufacturing process or a quality issue with the battery itself. Both phones were manufactured at the Mexico #5 plant by the way.
    I love my 9930, there is nothing about it that I would change and I am looking forward to two productive years together.
    09-07-11 09:26 PM
    Thinking about an exchange. This is my first Blackberry phone and so far I've got mixed feelings. Can't get my gmail account to validate and stay valid to use email on the damn thing, and today the call button has gone a bit mushy / squeaky.

Else wise, build quality is fairly good and it's an impressive looking handset... Love the texting, notifications, and calling, but the browser and screen got nothing on the iPhone (just saying.....at least I'm no longer muting or ending calls with my face because of a faulty proximity sensor)

It's a Rogers Mexico 4 if anybody cares to know, picked up from Future Shop in WPG.
    09-08-11 12:58 AM
    Exchanged mine because the screen wasn't built in properly. New one is finde..
    09-08-11 01:03 AM
    Returning mine for lack and poor quality of apps and never got used to the BB OS and tiny screen.
    09-08-11 01:27 AM
    this is quite a pool of problems
    09-08-11 01:31 AM
    I would exchange because the unit i have do not support H+ .
    09-08-11 06:02 AM
    To everyone exchanging their phone (I've never had to do it), can you just bring your phone to the store (Verizon) or do you need to bring the box and everything that came with it?

My trackpad is squeaking horribly, I can't live with it.
    09-08-11 04:20 PM
    I had to get my battery replaced 3 times. For the first 2 times I was running leaked versions and the battery was just crap soo for the last battery I went back to stock os and the battery now is awesome! 2% idle is no big deal with H+ and wifi running. Charged it to 100, woke up with 90 and after 10 hours (from 7am to 5:30pm) with wifi and H+ activated in my building with chitty network I'm at 38% battery. Didn't charge anything all day and its been awesome. I don't know if it was the stock os or the battery itself but my phone is working better than ever. I'm on rogers by the way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-11 04:28 PM
    To everyone exchanging their phone (I've never had to do it), can you just bring your phone to the store (Verizon) or do you need to bring the box and everything that came with it?

My trackpad is squeaking horribly, I can't live with it.
    U can just bring ur phone. I have verizon and went for a device exchange & took everything with me. Sales rep said I can keep everything else bc she was only going to swap the units.

I also had a squeaky trackpad and bad call and menu buttons.
    phila likes this.
    09-08-11 04:33 PM
    HAd the 9900 but traded for the 9810 and could not be happier. I love the big screen, on screen keyboard and autofocus camera. Batttery life is great too. Returned the bold because of its inaccurate touch screen, poor battery life and quiet speaker.
    09-08-11 04:35 PM
    Within the first few days of buying the 9900, i exchanged the phone twice. first time keypad froze, second time camera lens was displaced (a common problem with all bb's)

I'm on my 3rd one for almost 2 weeks now and have no major problems. yes my backspace button sometimes opens task manager but i found if you lock your phone and then unlock it, it fixes this issue.

now that i finally have a bold that works, i'm loving it. the keyboard is unlike no other. truly the best phone i've ever used and i've used them all.

but seriously, close the plant in mexico already!!
    09-08-11 07:07 PM
    First and foremost, I returned my VZW 9930 because if the terrible call quality that I experienced on the device. Voices were largely inaudible. When I could hear the person with whom I was speaking, their voice was usually somewhat muffled/garbled. Call quality on my old BB was (and is) significantly better.

I think I got a bad unit, though (Mexico 5). Hoping to find one from Canada, if anyVZW 9930s are built there...
    09-09-11 04:51 PM
    I went to two Verizon stores today to exchange my Bold for a new one because of the squeaking trackpad. The first store rep told me since I bought the phone online to just ship it back and get a different one, I decided against that for now because I don't feel like waiting another 1-2 weeks to get a phone.

The second Verizon rep was completely rude. First he said he couldn't hear it at all, then said "I think that's just how the phone is made." I know that is BS since I know someone who bought a Bold a week ago and has no issues at all. He then told me to use the store's Bold to see how that was and it was 10x worse than mine.

You give a company so much money, and all they do is treat you poorly.. interesting way to run a business.
    09-09-11 06:13 PM
    My first few days with the 9930 was horrible device was freezing all the time and I told Verizon I wanted a replacement but they sent me to BB tech support and after a few days all is good. For the last 3 weeks no issues at all!
    09-09-11 06:50 PM
    Good to hear, ESN. Hoping my replacement is as good as yours!
    09-09-11 07:02 PM
    I can relate to the vzw reps bring rude. The woman that initially helped me couldn't recreate the issue. Thankfully the manager was there and stepped in. She seemed to be adamant about not taking my exchange and was just scrolling around on the trackpad forever. I told her it wasn't scrolling, it was pressing it to make a selection. The manager then told her just to do the exchange because he didn't think I was making it up.

09-09-11 07:10 PM
    I exchanged mine because it wouldn't "Enter Bedside Mode". The rep gave me a new 9900, we checked it and it worked. I came home restored everything from a backup and now it doesn't work. Any thoughts on that?

09-09-11 07:35 PM
    I also got the "I can't recreate the issue" even though a minute later the guy admitted he heard it but that's just "how the phone is."

I really think in my particular situation it was the fact that I ordered online that they did not want to take it back at the store. By the way they acted I could have told them I bought the phone from a guy off the street and gotten the same reaction.

09-09-11 07:41 PM
    After 3 days I gor JVM error 517. The irony is that I got the phone 5 days after ordering it and will probably have to wait 2 weeks for the new one.

09-09-11 10:12 PM
    After 3 days I gor JVM error 517. The irony is that I got the phone 5 days after ordering it and will probably have to wait 2 weeks for the new one.

I returned my first 9930 to sprint because I could only talk on it for about 30 seconds and it would cut off the call and turn off my network connection. My second one is working 100% better.

09-09-11 10:23 PM
    ive had my phone for almost a week..i have a list of reasons why my 9930 needs to be exchanged but i have to wait for the store to get more in. 1. my battery dies in 4-5 hours, also gets really warm. 2.my phone constantly freezes, especially after phone calls. 3. when my phone does freeze some times i can just hold the power button and itll turn off and i can turn it back on and its back to normal 4. if i have to pull the battery because my phone is frozen to restart it, once its up and running again, my text messages from that day are deleted. I get to deal with this until sprint's "drop shipments" get my phone in!! i did not expect this at all, ive had many blackberrys, this is a first!
    09-09-11 10:25 PM
    Not unusual. Adjust the number of rows with your finger. Occasionally fingers inadvertently touch the screen and change the number of rows.

I haven't exchanged mine but I'm having an issue. Hopefully, someone can help.
    While at the home screen, when I press the arrow for the panel, all the icons collapse down and disappear. If I press the arrow again, all the icons reappear.

But sometimes, when I do this the panel collapses only half-way down allowing two rows of icons to remain visible.

I'm not sure what I did to set this off. I've done a couple battery pulls but it doesn't resolve the issue. I'm thinking its a software issue..
    09-10-11 10:35 AM
    Switch to Verizon. But, I would suggest loading .353 and many of your problem might disappear.

With regards to your battery dying in 4-5 hrs, that and the phone getting really warm suggest one of two things - either you are in a weak signal area and your phone is running at full power to connect to a tower, or you have an app that is stuck in a polling mode chewing up the battery.

ive had my phone for almost a week..i have a list of reasons why my 9930 needs to be exchanged but i have to wait for the store to get more in. 1. my battery dies in 4-5 hours, also gets really warm. 2.my phone constantly freezes, especially after phone calls. 3. when my phone does freeze some times i can just hold the power button and itll turn off and i can turn it back on and its back to normal 4. if i have to pull the battery because my phone is frozen to restart it, once its up and running again, my text messages from that day are deleted. I get to deal with this until sprint's "drop shipments" get my phone in!! i did not expect this at all, ive had many blackberrys, this is a first!
    09-10-11 10:38 AM
    I'd stick with the online replacement process. Its quick and easy and you don't have to deal with sales folks who would rather be selling their stock instead of replacing phones with it.

I went to two Verizon stores today to exchange my Bold for a new one because of the squeaking trackpad. The first store rep told me since I bought the phone online to just ship it back and get a different one, I decided against that for now because I don't feel like waiting another 1-2 weeks to get a phone.

The second Verizon rep was completely rude. First he said he couldn't hear it at all, then said "I think that's just how the phone is made." I know that is BS since I know someone who bought a Bold a week ago and has no issues at all. He then told me to use the store's Bold to see how that was and it was 10x worse than mine.

You give a company so much money, and all they do is treat you poorly.. interesting way to run a business.
    09-10-11 10:41 AM
    I'd stick with the online replacement process. Its quick and easy and you don't have to deal with sales folks who would rather be selling their stock instead of replacing phones with it.
    That's what I ended up doing. After the second store, I called Verizon and had absolutely zero problems getting a replacement. Hopefully this one is good and I wont have to do another replacement.
    09-10-11 11:21 AM
116 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD