Does anybody know why NFC was disabled?
    word on the street is that AT&T is developing their own NFC solution and didn't want a competing standard (RIM will have it's own standard). This is also rumored to be why the 9900 was delayed so late.
    11-07-11 09:03 PM
    I walked in 3 times to buy this phone, but started to experience iPhone 4 withdrawals. I'm thinking I should just order it online and avoid the 18.00 fee. Is there any disadvantage, other than not being able to fondle it in person?

The bricking issue is seriously causing me to be very cautious. Very worried about the issues I have been reading about concerning the 9900.
    11-07-11 09:10 PM
    I walked in 3 times to buy this phone, but started to experience iPhone 4 withdrawals. I'm thinking I should just order it online and avoid the 18.00 fee. Is there any disadvantage, other than not being able to fondle it in person?

The bricking issue is seriously causing me to be very cautious. Very worried about the issues I have been reading about concerning the 9900.
    I know that one advantage to buying a phone in a franchise store (not owned by AT&T) is that they will try to match price the best they can, sometimes they will at least throw in a case if you ask. I know this because I work at one and even though we don't announce it, we haggle price all day long. And if you call up AT&T once you get your bill, most of the time they will waive the upgrade fee.
    11-07-11 09:26 PM
    How is the battery life so far? Where was your 9900 made? How is the overall build quality?
    Mine was built in Mexico, I can get through a day of making a few short phone calls, texting pretty heavily, sending and receiving 20+ emails, surfing Facebook and twitter off and on and playing about 30 min of music a day. I've had my AT&T one since Friday (got them early at my store). The build quality has been good on mine, I had to send one back though because of the screen flickering randomly.
    11-07-11 09:30 PM
    Mine was built in Mexico, I can get through a day of making a few short phone calls, texting pretty heavily, sending and receiving 20+ emails, surfing Facebook and twitter off and on and playing about 30 min of music a day. I've had my AT&T one since Friday (got them early at my store). The build quality has been good on mine, I had to send one back though because of the screen flickering randomly.
    Have any been returned, bricked or not?
    11-07-11 09:39 PM
    Only the one with the flickering screen that I noticed before it was sold. Other than that we haven't had any yet. Hoping that it stays that way haha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-11 09:41 PM
    Experienced my first issue today with my new 9900, so felt I should share it here, since I stated previously that I would be posting my personal experience with the device as I spent more time using it (which in all honesty I still haven't had much time to really dig-into it per-se, but have since installed some basic apps, i.e. Twitter, Facebook, Socialscope, Google Sync, and Pandora.)

Yesterday it DID lose BIS connectivity at one point (and today again), which was rectified by briefly turning on and off the "Mobile Networks" selection. The kicker for me is below.

I was at work most of the day until about 8:30pm (EST) tonight, and I only checked it whenever I heard an alert (it spent most of the day in my pocket in other words.) When I finally got-off work tonight, I went to make a phone call and found that the LED indicator was faintly flashing repeatedly (and I'm not quite sure how long it had been doing-so. I unlocked the screen, went into my Messages, scrolled around with the trackpad, and decided that it would be in my best interest to take a quick trip to a corporate AT&T store, although unfortunately not the same one I purchase it at since they had already closed at 8:00pm. I went to another nearby corporate store I knew was open until 9:00pm to have an actual employee document the issue. He happily obliged my request and had even mentioned that if they "had any in-stock" (wow, they ACTUALLY sold-out of them...who would've thunk it ) he would have gladly exchanged it for me on the spot. Unfortunately that is not the case, and I will be making a trip back to the original store I purchased it at (and pray they still have a few left) to have it exchanged. I did a battery pull after I left the AT&T store, and so-far it seems to have rectified the issue, and maybe I'm being a tad-bit picky, but I'm not one to wait until the very last minute to say "well I've been having this issue since day one."

UPDATE: Went to the store EARLY this morning and had the device exchanged. Lucky for me the store I originally purchased it at had TWO left (again, who would have predicted that they would be sold-out or close to it. ) The sales person who assisted me asked "how do you like this new Blackberry?" I kept it simple, by just saying: "This is the BEST Blackberry I've owned to-date." Moving-on, the new device is also a Mexico 4 build. So far, so good with this one, although still too early to really tell. I honestly am still in awe of what an amazing job RIM did with this Blackberry overall (and how well it works on AT&T's network.) Will post updates if anything else occurs, but I'm honestly not too concerned. With ANY Electronic device, there is always a chance to get a lemon when you're an "early adopter."
    Last edited by intellectronik; 11-08-11 at 11:38 AM.
    11-07-11 09:42 PM
    Was there not a $100 rebate? Call ATT customer service.
    Thx buddy, yes i did spoke today with Premier CS but they couldn't sell me a phone due to out of stock and when in stock they don't know

and yes they confirmed that i will not be charged with activation fee and free overnight ship
    11-07-11 09:43 PM
    word on the street is that AT&T is developing their own NFC solution and didn't want a competing standard (RIM will have it's own standard). This is also rumored to be why the 9900 was delayed so late.
    nfc has not been tested yet and there is virtually no demand yet in the us. I have said that I don't believe we'll charge users for it but if there is a network element to it then we'll charge the banks, etc for it...

PG
    11-07-11 09:43 PM
    Did you get any error message and are you saying that your 9900 was bricked?
    11-07-11 09:47 PM
    How is the battery life so far? Where was your 9900 made? How is the overall build quality?
    Mexico 4. Build quality is fine. a little squeak in the track pad sometimes. Hope it is just breaking in.

Battery was fine today. but did not use a lot
    11-07-11 10:07 PM
    Trying to keep this thread going, as I plan on purchasing this phone within the next few days. I am trying to get information on the bricking issue and battery life, but it feels,like those issues do not present themselves for a few weeks after purchase.

Anyone having buyers remorse? I'm conflicted. Not sure if I'm ready to leave my iPhone 4, even though I only use a few apps regularly.
    11-08-11 12:45 AM
    So far battery life is just fine. After a full day the thing looks to be comparable with the 9800. Plenty of juice. No teething pains either. My first BB that worked from the start.
    11-08-11 12:52 AM
  14. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    So far battery life is just fine. After a full day the thing looks to be comparable with the 9800. Plenty of juice. No teething pains either. My first BB that worked from the start.
    Many including me noticed that the battery got better after a few days usage....mine is fine...not an issue.
    11-08-11 02:04 AM
    Trying to keep this thread going, as I plan on purchasing this phone within the next few days. I am trying to get information on the bricking issue and battery life, but it feels,like those issues do not present themselves for a few weeks after purchase.

Anyone having buyers remorse? I'm conflicted. Not sure if I'm ready to leave my iPhone 4, even though I only use a few apps regularly.
    Even though the 9900 that I will be getting is from my company, I am still concerned as well as I have never encountered the bricking issue in any of the five berries that I have owned. I can't imagine that there are too many hardware and OS differences between the OS7 smartphone like the Torch series other than some of the obvious ones.
    11-08-11 04:53 AM
    Is anyone using the folding blade charger? This is another thread topic I know but using the PB folding blade charger may involve too much current flowing through the 9900 in a manner similar to laptop docking station AC adapters being plugged directly into the smartphones. This supposition was posted in the PB or 9810 forums. Could this be related to the bricking issue?
    Last edited by jcp007; 11-08-11 at 05:12 AM.
    11-08-11 05:09 AM
    I'm having some issues on AT&T but I'm sure they'll get handled. Unfortunately, I'll be returning mine later today due to it instantly powering off whenever the screen is squeezed with the force of a thumb putting it into my pocket.
    11-08-11 05:54 AM
    Did you try a pocket pouch? You might want to give it a try as there is probably a limit to the number of exchange before it becomes a replacement with a refurb issue although it may be a replacement with a new one. Has anyone else been having this issue?
    11-08-11 06:40 AM
    I want to know if the AT&T 9900's have the spontaneous bricking problem.
    I never had that... I had this phone since it was released in Canada minus a week or so.
    11-08-11 07:13 AM
    Mexico 4. Build quality is fine. a little squeak in the track pad sometimes. Hope it is just breaking in.

Battery was fine today. but did not use a lot
    Most returned BB 9900 are build in Mexico 4 or 5 as far as I know. We received a lot of Bold 9900 back during the first week. Some customers even went for iPhone 4 thanks to hardware quality issues 9900 had. Almost 1/4 of Telus Canada Mexican Bold 9900s seems to have some kind of a hardware defect.

Even I had to change my phone 2 times during the first week.
    11-08-11 07:17 AM
    Got mine from an AT&T store on Sunday. Works great, absolutely love the keyboard and vivid screen. Battery life has been solid and the phone just feels solid and sturdy in my hand. Haven't had any issues. The guy selling it to me was chatting with my parents and myself as I was checking out, and he was telling us that they were actually the first carrier to get the 9900, and that you couldn't find it anywhere else, lol...
    11-08-11 08:11 AM
    Got mine from an AT&T store on Sunday. Works great, absolutely love the keyboard and vivid screen. Battery life has been solid and the phone just feels solid and sturdy in my hand. Haven't had any issues. The guy selling it to me was chatting with my parents and myself as I was checking out, and he was telling us that they were actually the first carrier to get the 9900, and that you couldn't find it anywhere else, lol...
    Reminds me of the manager at the AT&T Store I was at on Sunday. Got in there when they opened to get one and as I was checking out he walked over to the counter I was standing at, saw the phone I was getting and started going on about it is has been one of their better sellers.

Even the sales guy ringing me up had to stop and look at him funny.
    11-08-11 08:25 AM
    BB 9900 on ATT, this is the first 9900/9930 i've seen where it's perfectly flush with the screen and buttons, with sprint and verizon devices i've seen the buttons are all higher so you "nick" your finger on them.

No NFC, running .440 OS that came on it. Has the "4G" icon instead of the H+ icon
    11-08-11 09:40 AM
    ATT 9900 mexico 4 immediately updated OS to .474. I nuked it within the first 24 hrs screwing around with loading NFC COD files just for fun and accidentially removed all cod's files in BBSAK instead of just the one I was trying to remove.Anyway it seems pretty resilient to me.It was totally nuked to where DM wouldn't even read that there was an OS on my device.I tried several times to launch loader re-boot phone etc...Then a BBSAK wipe,power up device run loader from BBHT while it was powering up and it was back!!!as far as I can see this is a rock solid device.Battery compareable to Torch.The wide touchscreen/large keyboard combo is fantastic.I thought I would miss my Torch screen size but I don't at all.I actually prefer the screen on the Bold after only a couple days of use. Everything else about it is super fast and fluid compared to my Torch and the Browser speed and keyboard are SaaaaWeeeeettttt!!I'm totally loving this Bold.If you are due for an upgrade go try this BB out in the store!!!
    Last edited by SevendustG; 11-18-11 at 03:22 PM.
    11-08-11 10:15 AM
    First one had LOUD return and menu keys. Swapped it out, new ones good. Trackpad is a little low but overall much better than the first. Best BB ever And I'm a storm fan haha
    11-08-11 11:38 AM
455 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD