I can confirm no NFC. I am hopping mad. I'm going to upgrade the OS to see if it enables, and post here, if not, I'm raiding h@ll at ATT.
    The first VZW release did not have it either, but it is now present in a later build. There will probably be a leaked AT&T 99xx OS shortly that has this. (I would think).
    11-07-11 02:03 PM
    So I have my phone for one day now and so far I love it, but my only problem is battery life. I'm concerned cuz its 12pm and my day is nowhere near ending and I have 60% battery life, that stincks. Otherwise everything wanted it to be and more!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Give it a couple of charge cycles, then see.
    11-07-11 02:04 PM
    Does anybody know why NFC was disabled?
    11-07-11 02:05 PM
    ...very interesting...

More about how some user already using NFC on their BB:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...as-all-659273/

BlackBerry Tags, NFC payment, NFC access control, NFC transit are all around the corner based on what RIM and other related companies have already announced.
    11-07-11 02:38 PM
    B/c AT&T is probably looking for a way to charge you for it.
    11-07-11 02:45 PM
    For the people who have squeaky or slightly squeaky track pad what it like that out of the box or was it not until you got a few hours of usage on it that you noticed it start to squeak?
    The squeaky track pad stops squeaking after a little use . it just need to be worked in.
    11-07-11 03:26 PM
    My company 9900 has been ordered and is on its way.
    11-07-11 03:34 PM
    B/c AT&T is probably looking for a way to charge you for it.
    Sadly, I suspect you are correct.
    Scumbag move AT&T.
    11-07-11 03:49 PM
    Yesterday, I checked with every store in my area that sells BlackBerry's, except the corporate store, and no one had any in stock or even on display. The sales lady in the mall told me it wasn't released yet and the salesman at BestBuy said it wasn't released yet and couldn't give me an ETA. So, I went to my local corporate store this morning and asked the lady that greeted me if I could look at the new Bold 9900. She had the deer in the headlights look and said she had never heard of it. I explained to her the official release was yesterday so she went and asked the manager. He told her it was the last phone at the end of the BlackBerry area. We walked over there and it was the second to the last phone, except there was no display. The price tag and info was there, but no 9900! I asked if she had a working display and she went to look. She came back with a 9900 that looked terrible! It looked like someone ran a razor in the shape of a # sign about ten times or more on the top left corner of the glass. And as I was looking at the phone, it turned itself off because the battery was not charged. The red battery indicator was the first thing i noticed when she handed me the phone, other than the razor cuts on the glass.

How disappointing. This is a very nice new store and all other displays looked great.... I thanked her for her time and left. Walmart.com is selling them for $129.00 so i ordered one from them. should be here Wednesday... SO, once i get my 9900, i will post back here about how awesome it is!

Last edited by 1425956; 11-07-11 at 03:58 PM. Reason: spelling
    11-07-11 03:53 PM
    Question: does the 9900 download email images automatically? Or is it Ike the 9810? I like to see the emails as they are intended, and don not like to constantly click the show me images option. Thanks
    11-07-11 04:34 PM
    Long time listener, first time poster...

Picked up the 9900 yesterday to replace my bold 9700.. I've had the original BB Perl, the original Curve and the Bold 9000... Was excited to see the old form factor back.. I'm very familiar with BB, so please don't tell me that a "battery pull" will fix these issues. I've got enough experience with these phones to know whats going on.

Quick thoughts:
    Snappy, super fast, quick - what BB should have been say, 2-3 years ago. I see the hourglass from time to time, but most stuff is snappy.

Browser - good when it wants to be - still some issues loading pages, but mostly are due to WiFi issues:

WiFi -Dreadful.. in my home where every other device shows nearly full bars, the 9900 looses connections, jumps from 0 to 4 bars. Disappointing to say the least. My 9700 ran circles around this. I'm suspect this is hardware issue, others are reporting similar issues. Similar to iPhone "Antenna Gate".. right now next to me it has 3 bars of WiFi.. i picked it up and it dropped to 1. Have tried different 2.4ghz channels here in the house, all to no avail. May get a wireless N router and see how that works, time to do that to everything in the house anyway.

Connectivity - had to pull the battery twice today - once all emails weren't coming through, second all text messages ceased to go outbound.

BB issues that have been there from day one are still there. Apps sadly still take forever to install and download.. a 4mb download took nearly 2 minutes to complete. WTF? I test drove a Samsung Galaxy II for giggles a few weeks back, while it wasn't the phone for me at least the installs only took a matter of a few seconds.

Battery has been pathetic. When I went to bed at 11pm the BB had about 60%, I awoke at 5am to the flashing glow of the LED. It was in SOS mode and blinking yellow with the red battery icon. Not impressed, 60% battery drain. No social media, no facebook no twitter, no google chat, no yahoo/msn chat. Nothing. Just core BB. Have turned off location services, will see what that does tonight.

Keyboard - rave reviews all around... again, what the BB should have been 2-3 years go, why it took this long we may never know.

Touchscreen - what you would expect, although some items are best left to the old methods, and its clear the OS isn't 100% touchscreen ready.

Back - miss the leather. The faux carbon fiber looks nice but combined w/the glass on the front the phone is actually hard to hold w/out it slipping.

Verdict - Disappointed and excited...Torn what to do.. i'll give it a week.. but i may go back to my 9700 which i have no problem tossing around, getting scratched etc...it always worked...
    Last edited by wdwms; 11-07-11 at 04:52 PM.
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-07-11 04:41 PM
    The only issues I have is the battery, I really hope this battery does get better cuz I'm not planning on changing this phone. Its great in everything I needed to do except the battery, but I think if I'm having issues with the battery I'm not the only one and I'm pretty sure there will be some kind of fix(well, I hope so)

11-07-11 04:58 PM
    As mentioned previously, it will probably take a number of cycles to settle in a normal charge cycle.
    11-07-11 05:29 PM
    So far everything seems to be great. No shortage in store and a moderately streamlined setup process. Representative said they were having problems logging in. I love this keyboard, exactly what I missed. The HSPA seems to be great so far, even though the device shows 4G. Love the screen.

i'm in detroit, and there seems to be a massive shortage here. I have called 4 stores plus the famed "Blackberry" store. I even called customer care and ordered mine, and they are on backorder in the warehouse. I have a huge problem with the fact that AT&T has come out with a phone with NO INVENTORY!!!!! how can you launch a phone and only send 2 phones to a location. Seems like a bad business model imho....
    11-07-11 05:45 PM
    I have been very fortunate battery has been good. Not as good as the 9700 but much better than my Torch. It is only day 2, time will tell but I am super happy so far.
    11-07-11 05:48 PM
    As mentioned previously, it will probably take a number of cycles to settle in a normal charge cycle.
    Looking forward to those few cylces. Already I'm letting my battery drain til 0%, now that think about it should I or should I charge at 5% or sooner?

11-07-11 06:05 PM
    I picked mine up this morning from my local ATT store. They had only rec'd a very ltd amount of the phones and I got the last one(my inside girl held one for me) I got the Otterbox Commuter case and a car charger cable. So far I'm liking the phone, I can type much faster on it than my 9800 or 9860. It feels like a solid build and feels better in the hand when you add the Otter case. Very responsive keyboard and the touchscreen is pretty good, the browser is slightly better in 4G(yeah, I said it-4G!) I think this phone is a winner on many levels. Its a nice combo of tactile keyboard that BBs are known for and touchscreen technology that they're getting better at.

I need to find a home for me 9860 now-its looking for one on evilbay as we speak!

Thanks
    carter
    11-07-11 06:46 PM
    My 9900 took a few cycles to get to good battery life as well, don't lose hope! I didn't do anything special like a deep charge cycle, just used and charged as needed.

As to the person who had to pull the battery twice due to connectivity issues, just do alt-right shift-delete, does the same thing. Could your issues have been due to the internet outage that happened? Never had a problem with mine in the almost 3 months I've had it.

Grab Vlingo for free, it's awesome! The games aren't too bad either considering the form factor.
    11-07-11 06:49 PM
    As to the person who had to pull the battery twice due to connectivity issues, just do alt-right shift-delete, does the same thing. Could your issues have been due to the internet outage that happened? Never had a problem with mine in the almost 3 months I've had it.
    That was me.. no it wasn't the outage. I just lost all wi-fi again. And i'm sitting 20 feet from my router with only 1 un-insulated 2x4 and sheet rock wall between...
    11-07-11 07:02 PM
    Looking forward to those few cylces. Already I'm letting my battery drain til 0%, now that think about it should I or should I charge at 5% or sooner?

I would go with much, much sooner. Some of the "bricking" appear to POSSIBLY related to battery charging issues. It could be a batch of bad batteries. With all my berries and PB, I have always kept these devices well charged. I have a charger at the home and office.
    11-07-11 07:27 PM
    Originally Posted by jstarett
    If you google ISIS you will find out that AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile had plans to charge the merchants for each payment transactions (like credit card companies do when we use our card to pay for things).
    However, they have given up on that plan because of infrastructure changes that needed to be done before those carriers could run their own credit card company.

But they can still charge the banks when you "download" your "credit card" to your SIM card on your BlackBerry.
    That is a huge profit for carriers.

I don't think carriers can charge us for each transaction or for using NFC (monthly payment). They are most likely after the money from banks (currently that money is given to those companies who manage and make the plastic cards for banks around the world).
    11-07-11 07:53 PM
    Yesterday, I checked with every store in my area that sells BlackBerry's, except the corporate store, and no one had any in stock or even on display. The sales lady in the mall told me it wasn't released yet and the salesman at BestBuy said it wasn't released yet and couldn't give me an ETA. So, I went to my local corporate store this morning and asked the lady that greeted me if I could look at the new Bold 9900. She had the deer in the headlights look and said she had never heard of it. I explained to her the official release was yesterday so she went and asked the manager. He told her it was the last phone at the end of the BlackBerry area. We walked over there and it was the second to the last phone, except there was no display. The price tag and info was there, but no 9900! I asked if she had a working display and she went to look. She came back with a 9900 that looked terrible! It looked like someone ran a razor in the shape of a # sign about ten times or more on the top left corner of the glass. And as I was looking at the phone, it turned itself off because the battery was not charged. The red battery indicator was the first thing i noticed when she handed me the phone, other than the razor cuts on the glass.

How disappointing. This is a very nice new store and all other displays looked great.... I thanked her for her time and left. Walmart.com is selling them for $129.00 so i ordered one from them. should be here Wednesday... SO, once i get my 9900, i will post back here about how awesome it is!

it is not really surprising that some stores may not have devices on hand to meet demand since the stores don't receive huge allotments whose size may have to do with past demand for the devices.

I hope the one that was ordered for me today at work shows up soon. I requested rush delivery. The anticipation is killing me on one hand but I am terrified of the "brick" piles that keep popping up.
    11-07-11 08:20 PM
    Love the phone. OH MY GOD is this a great keyboard. I keep telling everyone that I could never type on any touch screen only. THE KEYBOARD IS THE REAL DEAL. No issues but typing heaven.

It is fast. It feels sexy. The touch screen is nice and I like to use it some mostly when in the browser.

No connections issues. Constant 4G signal. Both Home and Work wifi no issues. No signal or call issues. 4 short calls and one long call while driving (using speaker phone). The volume is so much better than the 9800 (i had three and all three 9800 sucked for volume).

If this phone had been out one or two years ago RIM would not been in so much trouble. BB people would have not jumped to iphone!

No issues with apps. Using Beweather, BeBuzz, google maps (fast GPS), BB Messanger, Visual Voice Mail

BES is working great
    11-07-11 08:51 PM
    Love the phone. OH MY GOD is this a great keyboard. I keep telling everyone that I could never type on any touch screen only. THE KEYBOARD IS THE REAL DEAL. No issues but typing heaven.

It is fast. It feels sexy. The touch screen is nice and I like to use it some mostly when in the browser.

No connections issues. Constant 4G signal. Both Home and Work wifi no issues. No signal or call issues. 4 short calls and one long call while driving (using speaker phone). The volume is so much better than the 9800 (i had three and all three 9800 sucked for volume).

If this phone had been out one or two years ago RIM would not been in so much trouble. BB people would have not jumped to iphone!

No issues with apps. Using Beweather, BeBuzz, google maps (fast GPS), BB Messanger, Visual Voice Mail

BES is working great
    How is the battery life so far? Where was your 9900 made? How is the overall build quality?
    11-07-11 09:00 PM
    How is the battery life so far? Where was your 9900 made? How is the overall build quality?

Not sure about the other guy, but i've got a Mexico build.. seems fine for my standards.. batter life was aweful yesterday. i've done some tweaking so we'll see...
    11-07-11 09:01 PM
455 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD