They wouldn't give you an early upgrade?
    Early upgrades are $250 above sticker now. You're better off just buying off contract these days in most instances.
    11-07-11 07:27 AM
    ...rather impressed thus far. It is fast, and seems the 4G [if it is really using that] makes a difference.

Now if only Google Reader had a default app for the BlackBerry.
    11-07-11 07:38 AM
    Early upgrades are $250 above sticker now. You're better off just buying off contract these days in most instances.
    Holy smokes! I didn't realize that. I've read where if you ask at the store, the manager may or may not give you the upgrade, but holy crap.....I didn't know it was $250 on top of the device.

That's why I buy mine out right.
    11-07-11 07:43 AM
    Do you see 'Near Field Communication' in Managa Connections (on your AT&T 9900)?
    11-07-11 07:48 AM
    Do you see 'Near Field Communication' in Managa Connections (on your AT&T 9900)?
    No. They blocked it. - I'm thinking about trying to load another carrier's OS to see if it will re-enable it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-11 07:51 AM
    No. They blocked it. - I'm thinking about trying to load another carrier's OS to see if it will re-enable it.

Save yourself some time.....it doesn't work.
    11-07-11 07:58 AM
    Save yourself some time.....it doesn't work.
    Aw crap. Not that I really care about NFC, I was just hoping I would be able to give AT&T the finger.

11-07-11 08:02 AM
    Went to the store and played it for 5 mins yesterday. 9900 immediately made my 9780 a "second class" device. It is a iconic type of device. I don't mind my next BB has the same form with QNX inside.

Anyway, pulled the trigger this morning and upgraded my line on Premier site $199 w/ one year contract. Can't wait until BF or Cyber Monday to get it, although it might have lower price.

BTW, also ordered my S2 Skyrocket $149 w/ one year contract, $26.95 unlimited data + 500 message plan only (no voice plan required). Can't beat this price , I am officially broke even before BF is here.
    Vijik likes this.
    11-07-11 08:04 AM

If the lock is based on Vendor ID (as someone mentioned on CB) then OS upgrade doesn't help. Otherwise, if the block is like the one that was on Verizon, then BB OS change might give you back the piece of hardware (NFC related) you have paid for.
    Last edited by Vijik; 11-07-11 at 08:28 AM.
    11-07-11 08:21 AM
    So I have had the phone for almost a day now and I'm still on the fence. I'm going to list a few of my concerns to see if there are any solutions I'm missing.

1.) Still no way to do 2 way sync with Google e-mail accounts that I can tell. Is this correct or it is something I am missing?

2.) BIS contact/calendar syncing with Google seems limited. Looks like the only fields that sync are name, company, title, phones, emails, street addresses for contacts. No birthdays, PINs, etc. For calendars it only syncs the main calendar and there doesn't seem to be a way to sync any others wirelessly.

3.) Coming from iOS I have been using a program called iBank to track my bank accounts on my device and then I could sync it wirelessly back to a desktop version on my Mac. I haven't been able to find anything really close to that for BBOS7. Even if I had to sync via USB that would be acceptable, but I can't find anything that fits the bill.

The first two issues are a bit more of a sticking point than the third, but all are just some of the issues I'm having trying to disconnect a bit from the Apple ecosystem. A bit hard to do as I am coming from an iPhone, have an iPad, 2 Macs, and use iTunes as the base of my Media Server at home. I have used Blackberries previously (9000 and 9700 from Nov '08 - April '10) so I have some familiarity with them and am using the 9900 to try and give RIM another shot. Don't want to shoot myself in the foot though from a functionality standpoint.
    11-07-11 08:54 AM
    I gotta say, after spending Sunday with this new Bold it really does cement in my mind just how awkward Karens 9810 is. The only thing the 9810 does better is the big screen.

The firmware on the 9810 is super buggy compared to this 9900 too. Even with the latest Wind Mobile OS, Karens 9810 just can't input, delete, move from text field to text field anywhere near as quick of smooth as this 9900. The 9810 is nice for the price but it suffers all kinds of awkward.

They swore up and down there would be no issue keeping the unlimited data plan on my account, no need for a new SIM, just register and go.. I'll call in a few days to verify. I did a jump switch and upgraded one of the kids' lines and then put the 9900 on mine. The helper guy had to ask his smarter neighbor a few questions, so he might have effed it up. Film at 11.
    11-07-11 09:11 AM
    My girlfriend and I went in to upgrade our 9700's and we were able to get 2 of these bad boys. Build quality seems pretty solid aside from the trackpads being askew. I was suprised to see the spinning hourglass quite a bit, and the wifi signal strength seems not to be as strong as the 9700.
    11-07-11 09:13 AM
    I'm LMAO at the News at 11 part.

I felt that way yesterday after dealing with AT&T for exactly one hour in the shop to get ONE BlackBerry BOLD 9900...

I also agree, from time to time the spinning hour glass just runs, weird really. I'm going to use it as much as possible today to get good use from it to see how it does...

They swore up and down there would be no issue keeping the unlimited data plan on my account, no need for a new SIM, just register and go.. I'll call in a few days to verify. I did a jump switch and upgraded one of the kids' lines and then put the 9900 on mine. The helper guy had to ask his smarter neighbor a few questions, so he might have effed it up. Film at 11.
    11-07-11 09:33 AM
    I can confirm no NFC. I am hopping mad. I'm going to upgrade the OS to see if it enables, and post here, if not, I'm raiding h@ll at ATT.
    11-07-11 10:20 AM
    I can confirm no NFC. I am hopping mad. I'm going to upgrade the OS to see if it enables, and post here, if not, I'm raiding h@ll at ATT.
    Don't waste your time upgrading. It ain't gonna work. AT&T will send it through the service books when they enable. An OS upgrade won't work.
    11-07-11 10:27 AM
    So I have my phone for one day now and so far I love it, but my only problem is battery life. I'm concerned cuz its 12pm and my day is nowhere near ending and I have 60% battery life, that stincks. Otherwise everything wanted it to be and more!!!

11-07-11 11:47 AM
    So I have my phone for one day now and so far I love it, but my only problem is battery life. I'm concerned cuz its 12pm and my day is nowhere near ending and I have 60% battery life, that stincks. Otherwise everything wanted it to be and more!!!

Give it time....
    11-07-11 12:25 PM
    I'm in the UK. I got my 9900 the first week it was released. No problems whatsoever.

I keep hearing about At & t 9930's being released.

Why are these so special ?

I guess At & t is the US's prefered carrier ? If so why are they the last or one of the last to bring out the 9930 ?

Thanks in advance
    11-07-11 12:32 PM
    AT&T is the second biggest carrier in the US. Not necessarily preferred. There are alot of AT&T BlackBerry users and they wanted their 9000s!

Nothing special over VZW 9930s though.
    Ben1232 likes this.
    11-07-11 12:37 PM
    AT&T is the second biggest carrier in the US. Not necessarily preferred. There are alot of AT&T BlackBerry users and they wanted their 9000s!

Nothing special over VZW 9930s though.
    I just ported over to Verizon after suffering enough with AT&T. At least the 9930 has NFC enabled!
    11-07-11 12:38 PM
    May I ask, why are you so angry about no NFC? Is there anything available in the way of apps or features that can actually take advantage of it at this point? Not trying to instigate, just wondering, because I didn't think there was any real-world use for it yet for anydevice, at least not on at&t.

Back on topic, I'm just loving this phone more than I ever loved the Torch(es), and I really liked the newest Torch. If it stays solid and reliable for the next few weeks (i.e., within the 30-day return period), the 9810 will be going up on eBay. Unless of course someone here wants a crack at a like-new 9810 at a very not-new price.

11-07-11 12:48 PM
    I agree ^!!! I liked the 9810 BUT this 9900 is a great device! Keyboard is amazing and the form is perfect. Very impressed so far.
    11-07-11 12:52 PM
    Quick Question? I will upgrade soon from 9800 to 9900, why is no one mentioning RIM's buy back plan when upgrading? Is eBay selling higher? RIM's quote for my fully functional 9800 was $160 buy back, making the 9900 basically $39.

Anyone?
    11-07-11 12:56 PM
    Quick Question? I will upgrade soon from 9800 to 9900, why is no one mentioning RIM's buy back plan when upgrading? Is eBay selling higher? RIM's quote for my fully functional 9800 was $160 buy back, making the 9900 basically $39.

Anyone?
    It's not a bad thing, but I'm sure you could get more than $160 on eBay. But factor in the eBay fees, PayPal fees, and shipping. Not to mention your time.
    11-07-11 01:00 PM
    May I ask, why are you so angry about no NFC? Is there anything available in the way of apps or features that can actually take advantage of it at this point? Not trying to instigate, just wondering, because I didn't think there was any real-world use for it yet for anydevice, at least not on at&t.

More about how some user already using NFC on their BB:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...as-all-659273/

BlackBerry Tags, NFC payment, NFC access control, NFC transit are all around the corner based on what RIM and other related companies have already announced.
    11-07-11 01:11 PM
455 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD