if you stay with ATT long enough, you don't necessarily have to wait as long to upgrade.
    11-06-11 09:26 PM
    wow Cali blows. Sales tax is called a sales tax because it's based on the transaction price!

Yes but rebates can be argued to be treated as you would a coupon. That is, not a discount from the price but the manufacturer/carrier chipping in $ towards the purchase price. So then the MSRP is the price-- taxes calc'ed on that, and the manufacturer/carrier pays part of that (rebate) and you pay part.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-06-11 09:30 PM
    Quick question ... I should know this answer, but ...

If I use my phone upgrade to get a 9900, will it be free through ATT, as long as I recommit to my 2 year contact? Yes I am eligible for one.
    $199 w/ 2 yr contract
    $549 no contract

PG
    11-06-11 09:33 PM
    my account (premier) on two lines family plan both shows that I'm eligible for discounted upgrade, but when I'm trying online it shows in my cart $299 + $18 activation fee...WTF
    11-06-11 09:43 PM
    So far, we have heard about trackpads being slightly mis-aligned. Does it really glow like in the videos?
    11-06-11 09:44 PM
    Yes it glows nicely. Not overly bright. And its tilted just a wee bit to the left.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-11 10:09 PM
    I picked one up this afternoon. so far it seems very fast and responsive. the unit is marked "mexico". right away I did notice the track pad was not square, which slightly annoyed me, but i'm sure doesn't affect performance. the track pad along with keys are rather loud when pushed. almost a stuck-like click noise from the track pad. the keyboard seems to be softening up the more it gets used. am pleased with the device overall. non auto focus camera is a real bummer, but it doesn't render the camera useless. speaker is ample. not sure about battery life at this point. it did seem to charge rather quick, maybe they upped charger output?

this is the blackberry that should (with autofocus) have been released a year ago. i'm sure easier said than done while hind site is 20/20. first time i've used an OS7 device. seems a pretty solid improvement coming from an OS6 9700. so far the touch screen and track pad accompany each other very well. browser scrolling/pinch to zoom is impressive and loads quickly as long as your bandwidth is sufficient.

i'd give it 4.8/5 if it had an auto focus camera. i'm going with 4/5, i also think it should have been priced at $150 or less. considering the samsung and apple offerings at the same price, they're a better deal spec vs spec. with that said we buy devices for the overall experience which isn't achieved by hardware alone. hopefully i enjoy this one as much as my previous bb devices.

as for the customer experience in the att store? worthless. sure the guy helping me was nice enough, but it was apparent he didn't know anything about blackberry OS and bb devices. watching him try to show me a few features was pain staking. plus there was some bs about my grandfathered unlimited data plan hindering the upgrade process. i'm supposed to get a call in the next few days from att to get it straightened out. i guess you could could say i'll be preparing myself for battle.
    Jumanji21 likes this.
    11-06-11 10:15 PM
    Is anyone going to let their 9900 go commando and use the OEM charging pod?
    I always go commando with my BBs and beat the snot out of them. 6 months in, my 9800 has a dozen nicks from being dropped onto pavement, etc. They can take it. My 9000 survived over two and a half years of serial abuse. Cases are for interior decorators.
    homer1475 likes this.
    11-06-11 10:19 PM
    I said the same thing about the 9810 being the device that should have been released last year. RIM is very risk averse and conservative in product release and development.
    11-06-11 10:20 PM
    Returned my 3 week old iPhone 4S and scored a 9900 this afternoon. I have spent the evening personalizing it. Some thoughts:

PROS

1st off: The Keyboard is the best I have ever used on a Blackberry. Simply sublime.

The device is absolutely beautiful and well built. Very classy.

The device is very fast, and snappy.

Don't have a feel for the battery life yet.

CONS

Seeing the hour glass a lot more than I thought I would, although just glimpses of it.

The camera SUCKS. I have yet to take a really good picture. Maybe I just need to get a feel for it. RIM really dropped the ball here.

Only 8gb of memory? Really? Boo.

Conclusion

Overall, I am very pleased to have finally got my grubby paws on the 9900. Really enjoying it so far. LOVE LOVE LOVE that keyboard!!!
    11-06-11 10:36 PM
    After a much too long wait, I picked up a 9900 right away this morning.. and (with fingers crossed), I am pleased to announce that I haven't had any issues. I did notice that my trackpad was just ever so slightly askew but nothing that anyone would notice. There is one minor thing that is a nuisance.. although I'm not sure if it is a production flaw or just the way the 9900s were designed.... and that is the slight ridge between the top row of keys/trackpad and the screen. I find myself catching this with my thumb but it doesn't hinder my use.

Overall, the device is extremely snappy. No hourglasses!!! WooHooo!! Next stop, OS 2.0 for the PlayBook.
    11-06-11 10:51 PM
    Returned my 3 week old iPhone 4S and scored a 9900 this afternoon. I have spent the evening personalizing it. Some thoughts:

PROS

1st off: The Keyboard is the best I have ever used on a Blackberry. Simply sublime.

The device is absolutely beautiful and well built. Very classy.

The device is very fast, and snappy.

Don't have a feel for the battery life yet.

CONS

Seeing the hour glass a lot more than I thought I would, although just glimpses of it.

The camera SUCKS. I have yet to take a really good picture. Maybe I just need to get a feel for it. RIM really dropped the ball here.

Only 8gb of memory? Really? Boo.

Conclusion

Overall, I am very pleased to have finally got my grubby paws on the 9900. Really enjoying it so far. LOVE LOVE LOVE that keyboard!!!
    8gb plus you can add up to 64 i believe, I bought a 16gb to add to it. Very pleased with the 9900 so far!
    11-06-11 10:57 PM
    Oh i see thanks. I remember last time getting 9700 through Premier i got discounted price, i think they don't charge me activation and free overnight ship.

So you got it from at&t store through premier act ? sorry if it looks stupid question, that's because i never bought in the past from the store, it was done always over the phone.
    Yes, I wanted to actualy get it in person versus wait for it to be shipped
    Correct with premiere; you're not charged activation or overnight shipping. If your upgrading they shouldn't be charging you activation to begin with, only on new lines.

Not too many perks with premiere unless you've been with them for a long time.
    11-06-11 11:27 PM
    After a much too long wait, I picked up a 9900 right away this morning.. and (with fingers crossed), I am pleased to announce that I haven't had any issues. I did notice that my trackpad was just ever so slightly askew but nothing that anyone would notice. There is one minor thing that is a nuisance.. although I'm not sure if it is a production flaw or just the way the 9900s were designed.... and that is the slight ridge between the top row of keys/trackpad and the screen. I find myself catching this with my thumb but it doesn't hinder my use.

Overall, the device is extremely snappy. No hourglasses!!! WooHooo!! Next stop, OS 2.0 for the PlayBook.
    I have the same issues with mine as well, not too bad though. The ridge between the screen and trackpad on mine is flush on the left side a little higher on the right by just a touch.
    I have noticed that my WiFi signal bar doesn't seem to register very strong, when it should be a solid signal?

I have tried the Bold on TMOBILE and Sprint and they all had the ridge between the screen and menu buttons, some a little more than the other. The track pads all varied a bit as well, the Tmobile version had an issue with the keypad (x,0) keys were stuck in the down position.

Funny how RIM can't seem to center the track pad on any of the devices very well. Such a simple detail that would make a huge difference
    11-06-11 11:44 PM
    went into at&t to play with the 9900.. fantasized about march 2012 when my current contract expires, took a couple pictures, looked sO good, 4G was awesome.. I miss having a bold, I'm done with sliders forever!
    AlienSlacker and jstarett like this.
    11-07-11 12:51 AM
    I gotta say, after spending Sunday with this new Bold it really does cement in my mind just how awkward Karens 9810 is. The only thing the 9810 does better is the big screen.

The firmware on the 9810 is super buggy compared to this 9900 too. Even with the latest Wind Mobile OS, Karens 9810 just can't input, delete, move from text field to text field anywhere near as quick of smooth as this 9900. The 9810 is nice for the price but it suffers all kinds of awkward.

Last edited by olblueyez; 11-07-11 at 02:14 AM.
    11-07-11 02:00 AM
    watching him try to show me a few features was pain staking. plus there was some bs about my grandfathered unlimited data plan hindering the upgrade process. i'm supposed to get a call in the next few days from att to get it straightened out. i guess you could could say i'll be preparing myself for battle.
    It should not be a problem to get your grandfathered plan in, assuming you've had no break in the plan or gone off it for some reason. But I would proactively call them instead of waiting for them to call you.
    11-07-11 03:08 AM
    my account (premier) on two lines family plan both shows that I'm eligible for discounted upgrade, but when I'm trying online it shows in my cart $299 + $18 activation fee...WTF
    Was there not a $100 rebate? Call ATT customer service.
    11-07-11 05:55 AM
    It should not be a problem to get your grandfathered plan in, assuming you've had no break in the plan or gone off it for some reason. But I would proactively call them instead of waiting for them to call you.
    I agree. I always make in the store that they check to make sure my account is the same and I followup again on the phone.
    11-07-11 06:03 AM
    I gotta say, after spending Sunday with this new Bold it really does cement in my mind just how awkward Karens 9810 is. The only thing the 9810 does better is the big screen.

The firmware on the 9810 is super buggy compared to this 9900 too. Even with the latest Wind Mobile OS, Karens 9810 just can't input, delete, move from text field to text field anywhere near as quick of smooth as this 9900. The 9810 is nice for the price but it suffers all kinds of awkward.

Though not as large of a "brick" pile with 9810. Hope my company 9900 doesn't get added to the pile. The 9810 may not be as sexy but it beats a brick. I am still willing to take the risk and keep an open mind about the 9900. As a company phone, I also had the choice of another 9810 but I chose the 9900.
    11-07-11 06:15 AM
    Is it just me, or is the 9900's keyboard extra-addictive? I haven't put in any of my custom dictionary shortcuts yet, because I am addicted to the feel of the keys when I press them.

Does that make me crazy??
    11-07-11 06:22 AM
    Is it just me, or is the 9900's keyboard extra-addictive? I haven't put in any of my custom dictionary shortcuts yet, because I am addicted to the feel of the keys when I press them.

Does that make me crazy??
    Is this your first berry? or Did you have a 9000? Please give more details about the keyboard. The 9000 keyboard was my favorite.
    11-07-11 06:55 AM
    No, I never had the 9000. I had a 9700 and most recently, a 9800. But I can tell you, the 9900's keyboard is OUT OF THIS WORLD.

Absolutely perfect.
    11-07-11 07:10 AM
    went into at&t to play with the 9900.. fantasized about march 2012 when my current contract expires, took a couple pictures, looked sO good, 4G was awesome.. I miss having a bold, I'm done with sliders forever!
    They wouldn't give you an early upgrade?
    11-07-11 07:15 AM
    Is this your first berry? or Did you have a 9000? Please give more details about the keyboard. The 9000 keyboard was my favorite.
    I think you had a 9000 as well? Just wait until you get your beaters on the 99xx series. It blows the 9000 away!
    anon(73368) likes this.
    11-07-11 07:17 AM
455 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD