(and I know this is likely a silly questions, but I just don't know)

can I continue to use the version of Desktop Manager that I have on my PC and simply change the device like I have in the past when I've gotten new BB devices?

One might ask, "what version of DM do you have?" and I am not 100% sure right now, but its one that has redirector, and I thought new versions have done away with that feature. If for some reason I cannot use redirector with the new Bold, I would leave it alone for the time being.

Thanks
    08-19-11 10:29 PM
    What version of DM are YOU on??? I don't think I've ever heard of redirector. What does it do?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-11 11:20 PM
    Redirector was a program that hooked into your PC and connected to Outlook to deliver your emails. It was poor mans BES back in the day when CALs were a tight commodity in the enterprise. The big hang up with redirector is that it won't work with IMAP and POP3 mail servers, it needs to have a MAPI mail server in the profile to work correctly. That led to lots of end user confusion, so eventually they killed it.

If you'd like to keep that version of it and still move from one device to another with the newest version of DM you could install the latest version on another desktop, do the move, and then uninstall it. Depends on how much time it would save you to have your data moved if it's worth it or not.

Pretty sure that your current version of DM will have no clue what to do with the 9930.
    redk and rayneman like this.
    08-19-11 11:25 PM
    Redirector was a program that hooked into your PC and connected to Outlook to deliver your emails. It was poor mans BES back in the day when CALs were a tight commodity in the enterprise. The big hang up with redirector is that it won't work with IMAP and POP3 mail servers, it needs to have a MAPI mail server in the profile to work correctly. That led to lots of end user confusion, so eventually they killed it.

If you'd like to keep that version of it and still move from one device to another with the newest version of DM you could install the latest version on another desktop, do the move, and then uninstall it. Depends on how much time it would save you to have your data moved if it's worth it or not.

Pretty sure that your current version of DM will have no clue what to do with the 9930.
    OK, I am "getting there" in terms of understanding. My verson of DM is 4.3.0.17 so I guess that's pretty old. The only thing I really use it for is ther redirector. I have several BB devices I switch between and I am thinking about the new Bold from VZW as I am due for an upgrade. Its super easy to switch between my current BBs (a Tour and Storm 2) with DM so it sends my work mail to my current phone. I am wondering if the new Bold is any different...I guess that's the crux of my question. Can I plug it into my pc with my current version of DM and have it "recognize it" and allow me to switch to that as my active device. I have a service with VZW that moves all my contacts from one phone to another, so I don't really use DM for anything else.

My alternative is to change from BIS and get BES service added at VZW and then call my company's IT desk and get added to the enterprise server. While they pay for everything whether its BIS or BES or whatever I have avoided it because I'd prefer not to have all my data use go through my employer...maybe that's not even a big deal, but it seems like it.

The redirector just works so well for me to get my work email when I want it, and only then.
    08-20-11 03:00 PM
    What version of DM are YOU on??? I don't think I've ever heard of redirector. What does it do?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Redirector is simply a feature of DM that has your work outlook/exchange emails "redirected" to your BB device. Technically I am not sure how it works, but I work from home, and my laptop is usually conntected via VPN to my company's network. When an email is sent to my work address, it hits my inbox on my laptop. That email is also sent to my BB, so it shows up like any other email but is from my work. I can read and respond from my BB or my laptop, it doesn't matter. I can create new emails from my BB too and it goes out under my work email address. Of course, once you log off your email, the redirections stops. For my situation, its perfect.
    08-20-11 03:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD