View Poll Results: Would you stay with RIM if the 99XX doesn't meet your expectations?

Voters
243. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I'm loyal and always will be.

76 31.28%
  • No. If RIM can't produce products like the competition I'll leave.

57 23.46%
  • I've already jumped ship.

21 8.64%
  • Maybe, it depends how good (or not) it is.

89 36.63%
    Let's say that the critics are right and RIM isn't what they use to be. The much hyped Bold 9900 doesn't meet YOUR personal expectations. Would you jump ship? Why or why not? And what are your expectations.

Personally if they didn't I wouldn't stay. But I don't see how they can't as I like my Torch and this is just a faster, premium version, of it in a different form factor.
    07-27-11 03:55 PM
    It depends on what your expectations are for these new devices. I think of them as interim devices until the LTE QNX phones arrive next year. I am going to hold on to my Tour for another year so I don't get locked into a two year agreement and regret it when the 2012 phones come out.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-27-11 04:15 PM
    iOS, android. I don't know what RIM uses, it's QNX.

I've been jumping all over the place lately. I'm back with BlackBerry Torch 9800, traded my few weeks old Samsung nexus S for it.

Why be loyal (fanboy) to a company? I don't get it, this is a random but my boy tried out the iPad 2 and loves everything about it BUT since he hates Apple he wouldn't buy one?

It's childish. I was like WTF is wrong with you.
    07-27-11 04:15 PM

I've been jumping all over the place lately. I'm back with BlackBerry Torch 9800, traded my few weeks old Samsung nexus S for it.

Why be loyal (fanboy) to a company? I don't get it, this is a random but my boy tried out the iPad 2 and loves everything about it BUT since he hates Apple he wouldn't buy one?

I'm the same way. Just use what you like, don't hold yourself back strictly because of the company.
    07-27-11 04:18 PM
    i play QNX on Playbook, i like it.
    and when i play Android App Player, i love it.

if Bold 9900 doesn't meet expectations, don't mind.
    i'll buy QNX Phone, spring 2012.
    kuleke likes this.
    07-27-11 04:20 PM
    Problem is I don't know what else is out there. I really want to get back the the physical keyboard. The Treo was so easy to type on. The Droid 2 is just dumb. I am right handed and the keyboard slides out the wrong way. I just can't bring myself to the iPhone. If I gave android a year I might come to like it but the operating system just doesn't feel right to me. The way Android syncs doesn't work right, yadda yadda.

Windows phone might be the way to go but the way the treo was and the way windows phones are now are totally different. And I do not use facebook or twitter so that social crap is useless. Can you delete that crap on the windows phones?
    07-27-11 04:21 PM
    At this point, RIM either two choices - make it, or break it. Maybe it's time for a regime change, maybe the two are doing an okay job. But what matters is the end product to the consumer. In my opinion, they have lagged since the introduction of the Bold 9000. The 9700 was a decent device, but nothing like the quality (and some functions i.e. speaker) of the 9000. Then the nasty and squeaky 9800. Then they dropped the 9780, which is what the 9700 should have been to start with. Now, they wanna drop the Torch 2, which again, is what the Torch should have been. They need to push a solid device out the first time and not worry about having to upgrade the product the just released. Once RIM can push a solid device with updated hardware, then they can go back to the board room and start designing the next BlackBerry flagship device. And for god sakes, push them out and don't throw bits and pieces of news. Announce and release within a set time frame. All this delaying crap is just torking people off.
    07-27-11 04:30 PM

I agree. I've used everything from iOS, to Android, to BB OS, to WebOS. I've notirced a lot of blatant fanboyism here but Macrumors.com is no different.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-11 05:02 PM
    I am very comfortable with my BlackBerry, and I don't like the idea of learning a new device. I just want my device to be faster so since the 9930 has many more features I think I will be overjoyed with that. Just the fact that it can do what I need it to do better and faster I cant lose. I will be dissapointed with out Hotspot capability but I doubt I would use it anyway. I'd never go to iWhatever and I dont like generics so android is out. But HP could be for me or WP7 but they arent apealing enough for me to leave the 9350 for...and I use a 9650
    07-27-11 05:35 PM
    The Bold 9780 already does everything I need, and i loved the old 9000. So yeah, im pretty sure this is more than good enough.

I dont get whatthe obsession is with people and these threads? If youre expecting something earth shattering then youre just letting yourself down. I dont need games or apps like the iphone, or to hack my phone and load it with buggy insecure non sense. Blackberry is my phone of choice and Im more than happy with it.

Bold 9900 will be great. The next QNX devices will probably be great judging by the playbook. So yeah, im not sweating this media non sense. Bunch of apple and droid fanboys causing a ruckus.
    07-27-11 06:07 PM
    I dont get whatthe obsession is with people and these threads? If youre expecting something earth shattering then youre just letting yourself down. I dont need games or apps like the iphone, or to hack my phone and load it with buggy insecure non sense.
    It's just to see people's thoughts about BB's with respect to other smartphones. There's no obligation to reply or view it. And last time I checked BB OS wasn't exactly bug free.

07-27-11 06:16 PM
    So.. If you don't want the phone, would you get the phone?

Of course.. -_-.

07-27-11 06:21 PM
    I prefer the current Bolds and even my Tour to other devices out there. Certainly based on what I have seen, the 9930 will blow the current RIM devices away. About the only way they can "disappoint" me now is some further delay on the release.

(Edit). Battery life. That is actually something that could be a let down. But I doubt RIM would be lying about that. They'd get creamed in the press.

Last edited by southlander; 07-27-11 at 06:30 PM.
    07-27-11 06:27 PM
    Yes for sure, just for the touch screen/physical qwerty alone. It's just too good.

07-27-11 07:10 PM
    Confused here.

I just don't really get how someone could get bombarded with information, pictures and videos of this device in action, and somehow not have expectations met. You know what you're purchasing.

Battery life might be one issue you won't have access too, but thats a given with any smartphone.
    07-27-11 08:38 PM
    If the 99XX turns out to be a disappointment than I will upgrade at the 2 year mark with a device from another company. I think it's November. If I choose poorly than my 9000 can always come out of retirement as it is in perfect shape and basically does what I need.

As for wasting upgrade time waiting for the QNX, I think this is foolish since it will be the first of the QNX devices and will be delayed for many reasons. Saying to yourself "RIM will have a QNX out in 2012" seems kind of na�ve and I believe most of the people saying that will discover they wasted closer to an entire upgrade cycle waiting for a QNX device worth having. People will be getting 99XX handsets out the ying yang for Xmas if we are lucky.

Holding out for 6 or 8 months for a QNX handset? I hope I'm wrong but I think that will just lead to more discontent caused by more delays.

I think we all know what the 99XX is and does, I am not sure why anyone would ride the fence on this one.

What is it we don't know that will disappoint us?

Bueller?

Anyone?

07-27-11 08:42 PM
    I would probably buy one just to try. Should be good for messaging and calls. Biggest worry is battery life.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk
    07-27-11 08:42 PM
    You should also have a "I am sorry, I have seen all there is on the 9900 and made up my mind that I am leaving" type of button. (Or something along those lines).
    07-27-11 09:08 PM
    I would, if there was anywhere else worth going to.
    But seeing as how there've not, I'd have to stay.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    07-27-11 09:44 PM
    Best alternative would be to wait for the OS7 Touch Screen model to arrive.

BlackBerry 9000 & Tapatalk
    07-27-11 09:49 PM
    You should also have a "I am sorry, I have seen all there is on the 9900 and made up my mind that I am leaving" type of button. (Or something along those lines).
    They did, they just didn't word it like a child looking for attention.
    twigg and quellerie like this.
    07-27-11 10:16 PM
    In my case my expectations are no doubt low compared to many others.....
    ...I Need, first and foremost, a rock solid cell phone - Blackberry is still leading the pack in that area.

2nd, I need the battery to last a full and hard day. ( again Blackberry rules the roost here ).

3rd I Need solid email with the ability to take a good picture and video if needed. ( Again Blackberry is on top of this ).

4th, It would make my life easier if I could access the corporate websites I use at my job and run APPS like AAX, etc....
    ...The HTC EVO I had did all those things EASY however the battery issue ruined the experience for me.
    ...The Blackberry absolutely **** the bed in this area -absolutely worthless, junk.

The new HD camera of the BB Bold Touch will absolutely help me with my jobs as I take short video clips.....
    ....Of transportation damaged cars for a large auto-group.

I am the LAST person on a Blackberry at my company ( in Mgmt )....
    ....All others have went to iphone or Droid because battery life isn't as important to them because they are usually behind a desk.

"ALL" of those folks were on Berry's and when enough "make-yer-life better apps" came to iphone & Driod.....
    ...I watched Berry customers drop like flies.

Walk into any Manheim auto auction on a busy day and you will see over a 1000 Dealership used car managers......
    ...Finding one using a blackberry would be as likely as seeing Sasquatch!
    ...The Berry simply can't pull a car fax, can't run AAX & ****s the bed on about any corporate site you manage to get it to.

Being able to do those aforementioned things equates to speed and profit and when one realizes ALL those dealer mgrs used to be on Berry's.....
    ...One realizes the currently soiled bed RIM in now sleeping in.

Because of what I do the Blackberry is the best phone I know of ( for me )....
    ...And I'm used to it And I like it.

For people who find they have an easier life using things like APPS to help them with their job.....
    ...RIM has lost those people for good I fear.
    ...Seriously folks there isn't even a "Check Deposit APP" for a Berry.

So for me, I'm pretty sure I'll stick with RIM for now because of the quality of the phone, email, pictures and video ability......
    ...I'm afraid most other people are hanging with it due to Stockholm Syndrome.
    danimalchil likes this.
    07-27-11 10:19 PM
    So.. If you don't want the phone, would you get the phone?

Of course.. -_-.

So.. If you buy the phone and it doesn't meet your expectations, would you stay with RIM?

That's the question.. :P.
    07-27-11 10:20 PM
    Rim had always been a security blanket with me. May not be flashy or have an army of apps to overload it with, just a simple, well done experience. But when I left Verizon and my BB Tour, I decided it was time for a change. iPhone 3GS was my change. Good phone, last years baby toy. The iPod function was nice, as well as some of the apps. But Email was horrible and Notifications were non-existent. So I left the iPhone behind and bought a Evo 4G. Very impressed I must say. But the simple things like Email, or push was laughable. I planned to go back to Blackberry after almost a 2 year dry spell, and the 9930 was annouced. I KNOW what to expect from RIM. I know Blackberry. I owned the Blackberry Storm and had it running correctly on day 1. Beta software, yes but stable and fast. I will not be dissapointed. I know it. But QNX is going to be new tech. I will let them iron out the bugs before I say I am going to wait for something that may or may not work.
    07-28-11 12:06 AM
    The iPod function was nice, as well as some of the apps. But Email was horrible and Notifications were non-existent.
    The notification system on the iPhone is horrible. But they're fixing it in the new iOS 5 update. Email, well, it's not bad but it's not BB.
    07-28-11 03:59 AM
89 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD