I really was excited about coming back to BlackBerry again from the iPhone 4S with the 9900...really I was, and I had a "Back To Black" thread here. But, even though I was prepared to commit to learning the BB from top to bottom...the overtly "busy" OS was to blame for me coming back to the limited, but simply effective functionality of the iPhone.

I hate to admit it, but I miss the 9900 a lot. It was the first BB since the 8xxx Curve models that were actually loud enough through the earpiece speaker for me, and that's a huge deal given that I have some hearing imparement. I loved the keypad, could live with the poor battery life (although it's not that much worse than my iPhone), and although it's almost TOO thin...I loved the build and "look" of it. It is certainly a sexy device.

What I hated...was the horizontal scrolling dock, and the vertically adjustable icon screen. Why can't it be like the good old days...with the single line of homescreen icons available on the dock, and the full icon screen being easily accessable by clicking the BlackBerry menu key. Simplistic & effective. The constantly having to jack with the side to side and up and down movement business drove me absolutely freaking nuts.

I feel like if I could somehow disable the scrolling and icon screen...I would jump back to the 9900 in a heartbeat from the iPhone 4S.

Is there any way to do this that you've found?
    01-01-12 01:12 PM
    From the homescreen... Push and hold BB button-->then manage panels.

Is this what your looking for? I disabled all and I have no scrolling dock.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-12 01:18 PM
    I can't help you with the 9930, but I found a theme for OS6 on the 9650 that looks just like the OS5 user interface, so I feel sure you can find one similar for the 9900. I too didn't care for the sliding panes in OS6.
    01-01-12 01:19 PM
    From the homescreen... Push and hold BB button-->then manage panels.

Is this what your looking for? I disabled all and I have no scrolling dock.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    So...is there a setting in "options" to disable the scrolling dock? I never found one.
    01-01-12 01:21 PM
    So...is there a setting in "options" to disable the scrolling dock? I never found one.
    Yup... no more annoying horizontal scrolling

Chrisy likes this.
    01-01-12 01:23 PM
    I manage the panels to eliminate the ones I don't want. You can eliminate all of them and that will kill scrolling for you. As far as opening the dock: instead of hitting the blackberry button once to open it, hit it twice and you are good to go.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-01-12 01:24 PM
    As far as opening the dock: instead of hitting the blackberry button once to open it, hit it twice and you are good to go.
    ...or just scroll down
    01-01-12 01:27 PM
    I think you should better use iPhone
    BB is not for you.
    If you really need that customization...
    You have 2 ways...
    1. Hire a theme developer and customize UI
    2. Learn you self how to customize the ways you like.
    OR
    Wait and watch if some one else does it.
    Easiest one is to go back to iphone
    01-01-12 03:26 PM
    Yep, you can definitely disable panels
    01-01-12 03:35 PM
    Thanks, guys. Been out of state a few days and "lost" the thread!!

Just bought another AT&T 9900...and when it gets here sometime next week, I'm giong to try the things you guys said. If I can set things up right...and maybe be a bit more patient, maybe I can hang around awhile here again.

Hope so.
    01-02-12 05:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD