Seriously, a week now with this thing and while their are things about the phone I love, I cannot honestly say "email is a breeze".

Setting up gmail was a pain but I've finally got it working, sort of.

Synchronizing still isn't seemless and now it seems no matter what I do, I cannot get my main messages folder synced up. It insists on showing all messages from both my gmail accounts regardless of whether they've been deleted or otherwise filed from my Mac, the gmail web page, or what have you. Yet if I view the specific accounts inbox through the BB then things show fine, but this is less than ideal as I'll have to switch back and forth between accounts.

Can any body offer any advice on getting the main messages page to show both my gmail inboxes in sync?
    AceStreaming likes this.
    09-11-11 07:50 PM
    You thought wrong then. BB has always had problems with gmail, and it is one of the "features" you get to enjoy. After deleting mails from gmail I've to delete them from my BB separately.
    09-11-11 09:20 PM
    Blackberry only has 1 way gmail sync. It's a feature built-in and maintained by Gmail and Google, not RIM. If you had an enterprise email account (Exchange/BES) added then you would have a 2-way sync for your messages.
    shankeith likes this.
    09-11-11 09:23 PM
    I see, well then I'm genuinely puzzled by all of the " Blackberry is the best for email" I've been hearing over the years.

I'm coming from three generations of iPhones that were a breeze for setting up my gmail accounts, and two way sync always worked great for me on the IOS platform...
    09-11-11 09:28 PM
    I see, well then I'm genuinely puzzled by all of the " Blackberry is the best for email" I've been hearing over the years.

I'm coming from three generations of iPhones that were a breeze for setting up my gmail accounts, and two way sync always worked great for me on the IOS platform...
    They were probably commenting on how reliable and speedy BB does push mail, and a breeze to set it up on the phone to get it start syncing (which is true to a certain extent).
    09-11-11 09:31 PM
    You would think the info in the below link would make it all happen

KB13509-How to reconcile email messages between the messaging server and the BlackBerry smartphone
    09-11-11 09:40 PM
    BES is great for business people. Personal email on BIS is hugely lacking. Its speedy yes, but that is about all it is really. Android and iOS can handle personal email much better IMO.

RIM is starting to catch up when they release BIS 4.0 but still lots of room to get better
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-11-11 09:42 PM
    I just left a google android device and gmail is my main mail I use. By far the email on this device is superior to my old android device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-11 09:45 PM
    You would think the info in the below link would make it all happen

KB13509-How to reconcile email messages between the messaging server and the BlackBerry smartphone
    Sorry, doesn't work. It's the same old advice which comes up all the time which doesn't help. Put "Mailbox" wins and it does zilch - I still have to delete the same e-mail twice, once from my inbox and another time on my BB.
    09-11-11 09:48 PM
    BlackBerry has 2-way sync for Gmail but it isn't instant in some cases from PC to BB.

For example, if I send email from my PC it syncs to my 9700 instantly. If I read mail on my PC it can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours to show up on the BB as read. Everything done on the BB syncs to your PC Gmail instantly.
    09-11-11 09:50 PM
    Let's stop posting nonsense and actually read some documentation: KB05133-Email reconciliation features for the BlackBerry Internet Service

Gmail supports FULL reconciliation from mailbox to handheld and vice-versa.

AND KB13509-How to reconcile email messages between the messaging server and the BlackBerry smartphone

If it's not working on the BB, let's try troubleshooting some GMAIL issues, such as KB21307-Email messages are not deleted from the BlackBerry smartphone when the On Mailbox & Handheld option is selected for a Gmail integration
    09-11-11 10:47 PM
    Most of the time the problem with setting up Blackberries is with the carrier not pushing the service books to your phone. Once you get the service books there aren't any problems with network, emails, bbm etc. I hate it when bb's get a bad rep for things that a carrier has to do.
    09-11-11 10:52 PM
    Let's stop posting nonsense and actually read some documentation: KB05133-Email reconciliation features for the BlackBerry Internet Service

AND KB13509-How to reconcile email messages between the messaging server and the BlackBerry smartphone

If it's not working on the BB, let's try troubleshooting some GMAIL issues, such as KB21307-Email messages are not deleted from the BlackBerry smartphone when the On Mailbox & Handheld option is selected for a Gmail integration
    has anyone tried ^^ this..does it work?
    I have 1 gmail and 3 email accounts from a domain that I own. Android refused to push my domain email to the Droid 3. All 4 emails accounts work and push flawlessly to my 9930.
    has anyone tried ^^ this..does it work?
    Tried everything listed on these pages that can be done from the phone, makes no difference.

Can't try the bits that require logging into the BIS page as I do not have a BIS account. Spoke to Rogers, they cannot make me one apparently with these new phones and the Blackberry ID system, RIM is doing away with BIS and everything will be done on device.

The Rogers rep then referred me to RIM's tech support # speculating that perhaps they could help further or setup a BIS account since the service is currently still in existance. According to the automated telephone prompt system at RIM, I can't talk to anyone there without purchasing a pay per incident service ticket. **** that.
    09-11-11 11:31 PM
    I had trouble getting my gmail to work right too. Its fine now though, what I did in the meantime was had gmail fwd all emails to my blackberry email account and delete the original.

What people say about BB email is how it can sync with outlook at work so nice. Also push email is quicker and easier on your battery than pull.
    09-12-11 12:04 AM
    BES is great for business people. Personal email on BIS is hugely lacking. Its speedy yes, but that is about all it is really. Android and iOS can handle personal email much better IMO.

RIM is starting to catch up when they release BIS 4.0 but still lots of room to get better
    Eh? Not sure what planet you live on, but I get my personal email amazingly well on my BB-both Yahoo and Gmail, which I don't really care for other than its another free email account for me. I get my email in seconds and it works great. You have issues to sort out as you are blantanly wrong and IMHO trying to stirr the pot or just plain attempting to discredit the BB wrongfully. Therefore I am calling your BS! What a tool.

Chronos88 likes this.
    09-12-11 12:07 AM
    Eh? Not sure what planet you live on, but I get my personal email amazingly well on my BB-both Yahoo and Gmail, which I don't really care for other than its another free email account for me. I get my email in seconds and it works great. You have issues to sort out as you are blantanly wrong and IMHO trying to stirr the pot or just plain attempting to discredit the BB wrongfully. Therefore I am calling your BS! What a tool.

Before we start name calling here lets make sure you understand the issue we are discussing. Can you say two way sync is working for you with your personal gmail accounts on your BB? If so, great. If not, well, what are you here to say exactly ?

Nobody is saying we aren't getting email on our BB's. (well I was saying that the other day but that was finally resolved through some additional gmail settings, the culprit of that issue is TBD as I never had to make such settings for it to work and sync on my iPhone, but w/e I'm not gonna sweat it because it seems email is treated slightly differently when it comes to BB).

What we are saying is that two way sync does not work, or at least does not work properly / efficiently. In my case it doesn't work at all. If I read an email it shows up as being read on my web access for gmail and in my PC's mail client. If I delete an email on the device, same deal.

Now, if I read an email on my mail client, or through gmails web access on my PC, the email still shows up as unread on the BB. If I delete on either the PC mail client or web access, the email still remains in the inbox on the BB and shows as unread until I deal with it there as well.

I have read that BB is suppose to be supporting 2 way sync with gmail and there are countless documents for resolving these issues. So far, I haven't found a solution from the many tips I've been trying.

I get my email on my BB yes, I get it fast, it is pushed to the device and shows up nearly instantaneously. That is handy, but for my use as this is a personal device, two way sync is more of a priority and this was something that worked fine on 3 generations of iPhones, and not once did I have a headache setting any of my email accounts up on any of them. The difference being with the iPhone, I had to open the mail app and fetch my email, though I understand push email is now supported on IOS devices for those who wish to enable it.
    09-12-11 12:20 AM
    What irks me about this thread is that it seems as though some users are so quick to say, "well, that worked way better/more easily on my iPhone/other device. " - which to me, seems more like ****-stirring than troubleshooting.

This is a BB forum. It is here to document your BB problem(s) and let all of the wonderful BB people who contribute here assist you along the way.

Telling us how a previously owned iphone, android, webos, etc device used to fun ction in comparison to a currently defunct BB is utterly pointless as it provides no substance in terms of a solution.

Getting to the point..
    If you have a BB and have tried all troubleshooting methods available to you, then et your carrier on the phone. If the carrier doesn't help you, request an exchange. If that doesn't go as desired - move to another device or, even better, go back to that old iphone that worked so well.

/rant over

willtothewong and Itzdatdude like this.
    09-12-11 12:34 AM

Im not wrong at all. Here are a few things BB and especially BIS fail at:
    • no proper activesync/exchange support hence no easy calender and contact sync
    • Crappy HTML email
    • truncation and rediculous file size limits
    • No folder support
    • cant retrieve past emails
    like i said BIS is good for fast email delivery but that isnt such a huge advantage anymore as push has become widely used on other platforms also.

Call me whatever you want but it doesnt change the facts that BIS has alot of work to catch up to the competition in some ways
    Last edited by howarmat; 09-12-11 at 12:40 AM.
    timberdc and Chrisy like this.
    09-12-11 12:37 AM

Can you actually read and understand what's going on here? If we're posting nonsense why dont you get 2-way sync working properly and show us how to do it? I'd rather get it fixed on my BB then blow more $ at another platform right now.

I just checked and "Gmail IMAP access is not officially supported for BlackBerry devices at this time." Thanks for your "non-help", smart aleck.
    09-12-11 12:39 AM
    I started this thread to find out IF there was a way to get two way sync working or not, and what others experiences with it were.

Pointing out that it works on other devices isn't an attack on BB or RIM, but it does counter the argument being made that this is solely a gmail problem and not a BB problem, so it is in fact useful information.

A little off topic, but to spin this back in a positive direction, I do have to thank the people of this forum for their support and efforts. If it wasn't for you guys, I wouldn't be reading gmail on my 9900 at all right now.

Rogers couldn't help me, tech support documents couldn't help me, it was a member of this forum who provided the answer. Meanwhile, I still haven't even heard back from Rogers, who have provided me an incident number, escalated the issue to level two tech support, and were suppose to be getting in touch with RIM and then getting back to me.
    09-12-11 12:53 AM
    I don't get it . . . My gmail syncs perfectly to my BB with no issues at all. If I delete a mail on BB it's deleted almost instantly on the gmail server, however when I delete it from the server it takes a tad bit longer but it does reflect the exact changes made. When I set up Gmail on the BB I used the web based service of my cellular provider to do it and made sure that the contacts & calendar boxes were ticked. Unfortunately Gmail is the only account that syncs 2 way. Yahoo, Msn don't reflect the changes on server for me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-12-11 12:54 AM
    What irks me about this thread is that it seems as though some users are so quick to say, "well, that worked way better/more easily on my iPhone/other device. " - which to me, seems more like ****-stirring than troubleshooting.
    In hind sight, looking at the title of this thread and the first cpl posts I made, I can see how it can be interpreted that way. Not at all my intent, but I guess my frustrations were showing through.
    squished18 likes this.
    09-12-11 12:56 AM
    I don't get it . . . My gmail syncs perfectly to my BB with no issues at all. If I delete a mail on BB it's deleted almost instantly on the gmail server, however when I delete it from the server it takes a tad bit longer but it does reflect the exact changes made. When I set up Gmail on the BB I used the web based service of my cellular provider to do it and made sure that the contacts & calendar boxes were ticked.

That is exactly the functionality I am looking for but missing! Unfortunately in my case, I don't have access to the BIS web based service and have asked Rogers on two occasions now for this access, both reps couldn't provide it to me.

When you say it takes a tad bit longer to reflect the changes made, are we talking a few minutes, hours, a day?
    09-12-11 12:59 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD