So. You all are saying there is *supposed* to be a way to have it so that when a message is deleted from the Gmail webmail interface it then also deletes at the phone?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-12-11 01:11 AM
    That's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of. I've read that yes it should work this way; Confirmed: BlackBerry two-way sync for Gmail is now live -- Engadget

One person here commented it is working like this for them, and several of us don't have it working despite our efforts. I have seen other forum threads on different sites where it is working for people, but it takes several hours, even a day or more to "reconcile"....
    09-12-11 01:18 AM
    So. You all are saying there is *supposed* to be a way to have it so that when a message is deleted from the Gmail webmail interface it then also deletes at the phone?

Discussed many times, yes, yes, yes but it can take hours for read and deleted emails to sync from Gmail to Blackberry.

On the other hand an email sent from gmail will show almost instantly on BB, and BB to Gmail is instant.

The only ones that can take hours are read and deleted, Gmail to BB

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-11 01:18 AM
    Discussed many times, yes, yes, yes but it can take hours for read and deleted emails to sync from Gmail to Blackberry.

On the other hand an email sent from gmail will show almost instantly on BB, and BB to Gmail is instant.

The only ones that can take hours are read and deleted, Gmail to BB

Lol. Ok ok ok. Well I certainly have something set up wrong then. My emails are near instant both ways and of course I delete on device only or device + MB depending. Never knew I could have deletes at Gmail come back to the phone. I never leave emails on the phone for hours. So perhaps it works and I just never notice.

Last edited by southlander; 09-12-11 at 01:27 AM.
    09-12-11 01:25 AM
    Lol. Ok ok ok. Well I certainly have something set up wrong then. My emails are near instant both ways and of course I delete on device only or device + MB depending. Never knew I could have deletes at Gmail come back to the phone. I never leave emails on the phone for hours. So perhaps it works and I just never notice.

Lol, it does work, I once left it overnight and they were gone in the morning.

09-12-11 01:36 AM
    You can check a few things to make sure sync is working properly for you. First go into the email setup application (you can find it in setup) and check how the server is being connected to. You'll find this information under the "advanced" area of the gmail configuration. Also go into the messages list, hit the BB/Menu button and choose options. Check your settings under email reconciliation to ensure that it's set to delete on the handheld and the mailbox.

If under the advanced settings you see that you've got a POP connection, chances are you're not going to see your changes synchronized to the server. I'd ensure IMAP access is turned on in your gmail account and then delete the account and re-add it in the email setup application.
    09-12-11 01:59 AM
    Personally, I have my Gmail account set up through BIS as well as have the Gmail app for BB. When I respond to an email via the Gmail app, it shows "sent as" as being the address the original email was sent to. Additionally, I use it for searching emails.

I've also gotten into the habit of pressing Menu>Reconcile Now every time I take any action (such as deleting an email) that would affect my Gmail inbox/account. It's a few extra seconds, but worth it to me.

09-12-11 03:44 AM
    Im not wrong at all. Here are a few things BB and especially BIS fail at:
    • no proper activesync/exchange support hence no easy calender and contact sync
    • Crappy HTML email
    • truncation and rediculous file size limits
    • No folder support
    • cant retrieve past emails
    like i said BIS is good for fast email delivery but that isnt such a huge advantage anymore as push has become widely used on other platforms also.

Call me whatever you want but it doesnt change the facts that BIS has alot of work to catch up to the competition in some ways
    This exactly. "Blackberry is the best at email" is becoming a myth. If you ever use android before, you know for a fact that it handles gmail way better than blackberry. Not trying to create a platform war or anything, but sometimes you just have to state the fact.
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-12-11 04:50 AM
    It is not a RIM problem, it is gmail! Once set up it does work.
    09-12-11 04:59 AM
    This exactly. "Blackberry is the best at email" is becoming a myth. If you ever use android before, you know for a fact that it handles gmail way better than blackberry. Not trying to create a platform war or anything, but sometimes you just have to state the fact.
    Well duh, Google makes both Android and Gmail so you'd expect Gmail to work better on Android.
    But email is not just Gmail, Android only offers push email to few selected email accounts while Blackberry offers push email for any email account, and 10 of them at the same time plus an extra very secure on device only email account.

Itzdatdude likes this.
    09-12-11 06:02 AM
    I have 2 Gmail accounts set up using IMAP and 2-way wireless sync works perfectly. Mail sent via the web appears almost instantly on my BB as a sent message. Mail deleted on either disappears from the other almost as fast. I hide my account-specific email icons and only use the Messages app. I'm not sure why so many people seem to have problems with Gmail on their BB, but it has always been the most reliable setup for me.

09-12-11 06:17 AM
    i never had many issues with gmail MAIL either. 2 way sync was delayed sometimes but other than that it was fine. Trying to sync the calender and contacts is a different story though. That is a PIA
    09-12-11 06:51 AM
    That is exactly the functionality I am looking for but missing! Unfortunately in my case, I don't have access to the BIS web based service and have asked Rogers on two occasions now for this access, both reps couldn't provide it to me.

When you say it takes a tad bit longer to reflect the changes made, are we talking a few minutes, hours, a day?
    Is this what you are talking about?

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?b...gers&locale=en
    09-12-11 07:14 AM
    I had/have 3 Droid 2. 1 user gets his email and can send his email. 1 user couldn't send or receive email. And I was only able to receive email.

Now I could send and receive a verizon.net email but my corporate email was only receive.
    09-12-11 07:17 AM
    What put me off with my torch was that I can't read old emails..is there any way I can reconcile all, let bb handset to pull and store all emails to the phone?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    09-12-11 08:12 AM
    Let's stop posting nonsense and actually read some documentation: KB05133-Email reconciliation features for the BlackBerry Internet Service

Gmail supports FULL reconciliation from mailbox to handheld and vice-versa.

AND KB13509-How to reconcile email messages between the messaging server and the BlackBerry smartphone

If it's not working on the BB, let's try troubleshooting some GMAIL issues, such as KB21307-Email messages are not deleted from the BlackBerry smartphone when the On Mailbox & Handheld option is selected for a Gmail integration
    Did not know about this - I want to thank you - performed these steps and now the 2-way sync works perfectly!! AWESOME!
    09-12-11 08:19 AM
    What put me off with my torch was that I can't read old emails..is there any way I can reconcile all, let bb handset to pull and store all emails to the phone?

Messages folder/press menu/select search by/advanced/change the search from on device to remote, there you go. You can then save the searched emails on device.

09-12-11 08:37 AM
    Let's stop posting nonsense and actually read some documentation: KB05133-Email reconciliation features for the BlackBerry Internet Service

Gmail supports FULL reconciliation from mailbox to handheld and vice-versa.

AND KB13509-How to reconcile email messages between the messaging server and the BlackBerry smartphone

If it's not working on the BB, let's try troubleshooting some GMAIL issues, such as KB21307-Email messages are not deleted from the BlackBerry smartphone when the On Mailbox & Handheld option is selected for a Gmail integration
    Great info! I think this finally solved my Gmail syncing issues! I never knew about the "Gmail Unlock" feature. Maybe that was the only thing holding my phone back.

Now if there is a way to pull everything that exists in my inbox to my 9930, that would be sweet...(i know I could do one of those remote searches and save them from there but I thought there had to be a better way, fortunately I keep my inbox clean so I only have like 5 emails, but still)

Thanks again!!
    09-12-11 09:51 AM
    Messages folder/press menu/select search by/advanced/change the search from on device to remote, there you go. You can then save the searched emails on device.

Can adjust sync all instead of searching one by one? It only takes few minutes in any other platform/os.

09-12-11 10:52 AM
    Can adjust sync all instead of searching one by one? It only takes few minutes in any other platform/os.

You can't but you can search by sender not just one email, it is what it is, learn to use it and you'll be ok, I certainly wouldn't want 2-3000 emails that i have in Gmail on my device as well. Be selective is my advice.
    09-12-11 11:27 AM

You can search emails at the server (remote).
    09-12-11 03:29 PM
    You can't but you can search by sender not just one email, it is what it is, learn to use it and you'll be ok, I certainly wouldn't want 2-3000 emails that i have in Gmail on my device as well. Be selective is my advice.
    Same here. I let Google store most old emails. Ones that are important to have with me on my phone I selectively mark as saved. The rest of the time I remote search.
    09-12-11 03:32 PM
    I get nearly instantaneous 2-way sync with BIS and Gmail as well.

Having said that, I sometimes use the GMail mobile app for BB to search for older e-mails. That does come in handy, and has the ability to add multiple accounts.

I still prefer native BIS e-mail for day-to-day communication.
    09-12-11 04:17 PM
    Why doesn't the OP just use the Gmail app?
    09-12-11 04:31 PM
    Seriously, a week now with this thing and while their are things about the phone I love, I cannot honestly say "email is a breeze".
    Well, Blackberry email is useless for someone who spells: "There are" as "Their are"

Or maybe iOS has a better auto-correct that you're used to not checking what you type.

Just saying..
    09-12-11 05:44 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD