Yesterday while on vacation, I received the dreaded JVM 517 error for the 3rd time with the 9900. I followed the post on crackberry re: nuked blackberry and I have now lost everything. I've done a complete wipe of my phone, but I didn't realize blackberry messenger would be included in the wipe.

Does anyone know how to restore blackberry messenger on my phone? I've gone through the desktop manager and that didn't work. Everytime I try going on to the web browser, the phone gets another error message. All I want to know is if it's possible to get blackberry messenger back on the phone or if i get a new blackberry, i can get those contacts back.

Thanks.
    12-18-11 08:17 PM
    Is it only the web browser or all data services giving you the error? You can get it from App world if it made it back onto the phone, but in all honisty if you are having that much trouble with it I would demand a free replacement from your carrier. If there is no physical damage that can be seen to the phone, they have no reason to refuse the replacement. When I got the 99xx after loading all my PIM stuff on it the 1st thing I did was create a backup file through DM for fear of the potential Nuking.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 12-18-11 at 08:42 PM.
    12-18-11 08:22 PM
    all data services, except for whatsapp, are giving me the error. I can't even get app world back on my phone.

i'm assuming i lost my bbm contacts?
    12-18-11 08:35 PM
    Did you do any backups prior to the errors?

If you have a backup, you will be able to restore the BBM contacts onto a new device.
    12-18-11 08:39 PM
    Did you do any backups prior to the errors?

If you have a backup, you will be able to restore the BBM contacts onto a new device.
    That was my next question too...
    12-18-11 08:46 PM
    damn. i didn't. i was fine with losing everything except my contacts. that freaking stinks.

my friend said blackberry protect (which i've done weekly) will at least restore my contacts, but not emails or texts. is this true? also said if i have blackberry id (which I do), I'll be able to restore my contacts. is he giving me false hope?
    12-18-11 08:59 PM
    BB protect does indeed back up contacts and txt messages as well as other thing on your BB unless you deselect those options. It doesn't do anything for BBM however I don't believe. I use the program, but I have never had to restore from it. Here's hoping you have good luck with it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-18-11 09:26 PM
    BB protect does indeed back up contacts and txt messages as well as other thing on your BB unless you deselect those options. It doesn't do anything for BBM however I don't believe. I use the program, but I have never had to restore from it. Here's hoping you have good luck with it.
    That is correct.
    12-18-11 09:27 PM
    So there is a ray of light for you at the end of the tunel with BB Protect you will at the very least have the most critical info. Here's an added note:
    If you ever linked your BBM contacts with the contacts in your regular contacts list, all the needed "pins" used by BBM should be included in that information. So if you didn't have a crazy long BBM list, you can re-request to add everyone fairly easily. Just have to remember who to look for. hope this helps.
    12-18-11 09:39 PM
    thanks for the well wishes guys, unfortunately, as I click on BB Protect, i'm greeted with this message:

Application terminated: BlackBerry Protect has been denied the "Cross Application Communication" permission.

i think i'm screwed
    12-19-11 12:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD