In the end the only thing a new OS does is run the hardware more efficiently, the hardware never changes. So that makes me wonder what was really chuggin this thing down depending on what OS I had installed. I think some just manage the 4G/3G/2G radio transition more efficiently than others. Some are using more juice looking for that hspa+ signal in areas that barely or don't have it at all. That is my guess.

Easy fix for me has been to just roll without the high speed radio on. Don't really need it all the time anyways. I wish there was a setting that favored the 2G unless you were actually using badwidth and then it would automaticaLly kick it up but then that would just make too much sense then would it
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-06-12 10:09 AM
    also remember too, that powering the touchscreen takes up more battery life as well.
    Im on HSPA+ all day with Wifi and bluetooth on and get great battery life on .585
    01-06-12 10:24 AM
    and what do you mean by high speed radio on?

like 3G or what?
    01-06-12 10:32 AM
    and what do you mean by high speed radio on?

like 3G or what?
    Yes. The OP is getting much more out of his battery by setting his mobile network to 2G only.
    01-06-12 10:53 AM
    ewwwww....how could you?! haha
    nooope. Cant do it, I'm too much of an internet hogg.

However when I' at work with constant WIFI, no issue for me with the battery.

otherwise running outta juice by 1pm with 7.1
    terrible
    01-06-12 11:02 AM
    I thought this was already known by everyone. That's why many hybrid builders focus on radio files (.sfi) from builds that are tested and known for their great battery life (and radio performance).
    01-06-12 11:08 AM
    In the end the only thing a new OS does is run the hardware more efficiently, the hardware never changes. So that makes me wonder what was really chuggin this thing down depending on what OS I had installed. I think some just manage the 4G/3G/2G radio transition more efficiently than others. Some are using more juice looking for that hspa+ signal in areas that barely or don't have it at all. That is my guess.
    I think so too. If H+ isn't found, it drops back to 2G, but how long does it wait before testing for H+ again? Each time it does so, it consumes power. At least, I think it does. I've read that on GSM, but not CDMA, devices, a single radio handles 2G and H+. In practice, it takes a few seconds for H+ to "power up" when you switch manually.

Anyway, there appears to be a trade-off between finding H+ quickly and battery consumption. The more often the device tests for H+, the sooner it's likely to find it, and the more power it'll use in the process. If it tests less often, it'll conserve power but be slower to switch to H+ when it's available.

It might be useful to allow the user to select a profile for this, either aggressive or conservative.

Easy fix for me has been to just roll without the high speed radio on. Don't really need it all the time anyways. I wish there was a setting that favored the 2G unless you were actually using badwidth and then it would automaticaLly kick it up but then that would just make too much sense then would it
    Way too much sense.
    01-06-12 11:14 AM
    3G 5 bars signal has been way weaker than EDGE 5 bars signal. Using EDGE only and dont have a complaint
    01-06-12 11:36 AM
    also remember too, that powering the touchscreen takes up more battery life as well.
    Im on HSPA+ all day with Wifi and bluetooth on and get great battery life on .585

Are you saying if we don't use the touch screen, we will have better battery life?

Just use the track pad instead?

BlackBerry Bold® 9930 using Tapatalk of course.
    01-06-12 12:13 PM
    Turning off features isn't a fix. Its just a method of using less battery. A true fix is using less battery while doing the same things. Might as well say a fix is to turn down the screen brightness, or turn off vibrations, or just not using the phone. Sorry to be so critical, but there are so many "battery fix" threads that only suggest turning stuff off.
    01-06-12 12:26 PM
    I have tried every os except the 7.1 stuff, and for sure, the best battery life is .540. I don't know why rim pulled this os and I don't care, it is my os of choice.
    01-06-12 12:30 PM
    this is one contributing factor among many...
    01-06-12 01:13 PM
    It would be nice if there was a more conservative setting. I would like something that stays on 2g when I am making calls, texting, using social feeds and other web based apps, and then looks for the 4G when I open up the browser or something.
    01-06-12 01:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD