RIM has always evolved steadily at their own pace. When compared to the likes of the iPhone and Android it may seem that RIM is at a standstill, but RIM's Blackberry evolve with the Enterprise environment which often slow, so Blackberrys may not have the newest innovative features every 12 months RIM has always maintained stability and security with their products which many government and big businesses prefer.

Similar with Toyota cars they're known to make efficient compact cars and when they released the Prius people loved it and that's what they come to expect from their cars. But it would be ridiculous to say the Prius sucks or is 'far behind' because it doesn't have the same amount of horsepower as a Lamborghini or Porsche.

Anyways, I'm glad the 9900 is coming out soon. It's the phone that I have been dreaming about for years. Seriously, I never dreamed about large touch iOS or Android devices or wished I had billions of apps. I wanted a Blackberry 9000 sized phone with all the features that my 9780 has. For me it's a reasonable dream and it looks like RIM delivered.
    05-02-11 03:55 PM
    The only Android device with a 1.2GHz processor is the Droid 2 Global, and I believe the only the HTC Thunderbolt has 768mb of RAM. Also there's no Android phone with the capacity for 40GB of combined storage. Thunderbolt was advertised with 8GB onboard storage, only came with ~2.5 user accessible. This phone is hardly out of date.
    Yeah, I didn't see any phones out 18 months ago with this 1.2 ghz processor or 768 mb ram let alone 6 months ago. I'm pretty sure you nailed this which is why the level of exaggeration on these forums is so frustrating sometimes. This phone is on par with other top end phones right now. There are some spec'd higher and some a little lower but none face the scrutiny for those specs that the 9900 does because they aren't blackberry phones.
    05-02-11 03:56 PM
    all that "business men" talk, yea sure its great for them, but its just as great for young pple who still go to school or whatsoever

its the best phone for communicating, the physical keyboard is just the best and while some pple want their phones to be a playstation, there are just as much young people that dont care about all that stupid stuff, they just want a device you can always rely on, great battery life, a device you can type amazingly fast on (thanks to the physical keyboard.. its just the best, way better than any touchscreen-keyboard)

and i mean, cmon..
    bbm, sms, calls, icq, msn, skype, facebook, twitter, myspace
    way way more awesome apps, so there really are enough useful apps, sure iOS and android have more, but who needs all those angry birds apps

if i want a device for music, for games and all that stuff, i'll get an ipod touch
    if i want a phone for actually staying in contact with pple, i'll get a blackberry
    and im sure the browser-experience will be significantly better on OS 7 than on any OS before

of course there is way way way more you can do with phones, and i think the 9900/9930 will give us all that as well.. new or improved

but well, some pple just want their full touchscreen for playing all day and for a "better" browsing experience

i srsly cant wait
    Last edited by Seijuro; 05-02-11 at 04:05 PM.
    05-02-11 03:59 PM
    The most I would give is that this should have been the replacement for the 9700 instead of the 9780 so maybe 8 months too late. If they would have released this back in the Fall, I don't think RIM would be in the 'perceived' position that they are in today.

This phone will give Blackberry users something that is at least equal in terms of performance as anything else on the market (though of course reviews will need to confirm that). For me, my BB does everything I want my phone to do the only caveat is that it does it sometimes really slowly so for me if when I click on something like an app or a web page and it opens up and is ready to go almost instantly, than I will be a happy camper, or happier camper since I still like my BB.

The more I see of this phone, the more I like it. I (among many I'm sure) voted for a return to this form factor in a RIM survey a while ago and I'm glad it is back. I originally though they could have updated the look more but it really looks sweet, especially on angle shots showing the steel frame. I like the look of the iPhone 4 and this just seems to have a similar looking style but with full keyboard. SWEET!!!!

Can't wait.
    05-02-11 04:01 PM
    I wouldn't say it was 4 years behind, if you look at the trend for hardware its probably a year behind. But I don't care really as I don't buy a blackberry to get the fastest processor I get one because I like them and enjoy using them.
    05-02-11 04:03 PM
    You're free to buy the iPhone if you'd like.

But your list of things that the iPhone came with is a bit sparse.

lol.

iPhone had liquid graphics? How so?
    My Bold 9700 had liquid graphics a year ago! ...'course, I dropped it in a pool in Mexico.......
    05-02-11 04:05 PM
    I wouldn't say it was 4 years behind, if you look at the trend for hardware its probably a year behind. But I don't care really as I don't buy a blackberry to get the fastest processor I get one because I like them and enjoy using them.
    it's even questionable how "useful" or "necessary" the very latest processors are in Android devices. Most people want them simply because it's newer, not really that an Atrix can run X programs sooo much better...

(that and the fact that current Android for phones doesn't support SMP anyways...)
    Last edited by papped; 05-02-11 at 04:45 PM.
    05-02-11 04:35 PM
    I wouldnt say its 4years late but more like 2 which is an eternity in the cell phone market.

But to all the people crying about "well just get "that" phone.....*boo hoo*" its not always that easy. Some people are stuck on a single carrier that may not have iPhone (Tmo, VZW, SPCS) or might not have had solid android entries at first (SPCS, AT&T) because of work or a family plan. Some people like Blackberry and would have rathered RIM be MORE competitive back then. Yes the 9000 is competitive but RIM only offered it on one carrier at first (i think) and basically froze until the 9700 (which lost some of the advantages the 9000 had) and some people are given a BB by their employer with no real choice about it. Soooooo quit assuming everyone has unlimited choices or is made of money.....

/rant
    -G. Wilson
    05-02-11 04:38 PM
    The only Android device with a 1.2GHz processor is the Droid 2 Global, and I believe the only the HTC Thunderbolt has 768mb of RAM. Also there's no Android phone with the capacity for 40GB of combined storage. Thunderbolt was advertised with 8GB onboard storage, only came with ~2.5 user accessible. This phone is hardly out of date.

Thats incorrect....the Captivate comes with 16gb and up to 32 expandable....I dont remeber exactly how much of the 16 is usable out of the box but im sure its more than 8gb
    05-02-11 04:51 PM
    my inc has 40 too if that matters
    05-02-11 04:54 PM
    it's even questionable how "useful" or "necessary" the very latest processors are in Android devices. Most people want them simply because it's newer, not really that an Atrix can run X programs sooo much better...

(that and the fact that current Android for phones doesn't support SMP anyways...)
    Shoot I watched the guy over at phonedog.com (Aaron) testing an Atrix and its actually pretty freaking slow. The Inspire he pitted it against was pretty much better. But I think the main problem is MotoBLUR....its turrrible!
    05-02-11 05:23 PM
    I wouldnt say its 4years late but more like 2 which is an eternity in the cell phone market.
    Name any features in this hardware spec that you could honestly call 2 years late without it being trollish hyperbole?

The specs of this phone put it firmly in the mainstream of the high end part of the market lagging only behind the most cutting edge stuff that trades battery life or weight for a poorly utilised dualcore.

If somebody wants to complain because rim have stayed away from the bulky end of the smartphone market by not releasing a 4.3" screen device then fair enough even if it is a fairly pointless size while it doesn't result in any significant increase in resolution, but the specs in these new devices are otherwise fine.
    Last edited by Skeevecr; 05-02-11 at 05:31 PM.
    05-02-11 05:26 PM
    Crazy talk saying this is 4 years late. I don't understand why people have to try to compare apples to oranges (pun intended). When you look at processor, battery, memory for a particular device, it just matters that it will be sufficient to produce a pleasant experience for that particular device. This looks to be a great update for my BB 9000 and should provide that pleasant experience for quite a while, no matter what the iPhone or Thunderbolt supposedly have.
    05-02-11 05:28 PM
    Thunderbolt is a single core clocked at 1ghz.

Yet somehow this is from 4 years ago.... And again, your OS doesn't support SMP! Dual core at this point is mostly marketing BS that endgaget commenters eat up like candy.
    05-02-11 05:29 PM
    Guys, the OP posted only one reply to this thread, and it was a one-liner. I think you're being trolled.
    05-02-11 05:31 PM
    Guys, the OP posted only one reply to this thread, and it was a one-liner. I think you're being trolled.
    Sadly it wasn't only the OP...
    05-02-11 05:32 PM
    Yeah - starting a thread with "I love RIM" is pretty sneaky troll-fu. Them trolls is smart!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    FMB8900 likes this.
    05-02-11 05:36 PM
    The only thing super disappointing about the phone right now is the lack of release date. Everything else could be better but is beyond acceptable. But man if this thing comes out late June or something....that sucks big.
    05-02-11 05:38 PM
    what a tool, if thats wat u wanted for sooo long why didnt u just get an iphone. if u've never heard this before, i will tell it to you: GREAT THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT.. TOOL!
    05-02-11 05:43 PM

But to all the people crying about "well just get "that" phone.....*boo hoo*" its not always that easy. Some people are stuck on a single carrier that may not have iPhone (Tmo, VZW, SPCS) or might not have had solid android entries at first (SPCS, AT&T) because of work or a family plan. Some people like Blackberry and would have rathered RIM be MORE competitive back then. Yes the 9000 is competitive but RIM only offered it on one carrier at first (i think) and basically froze until the 9700 (which lost some of the advantages the 9000 had) and some people are given a BB by their employer with no real choice about it. Soooooo quit assuming everyone has unlimited choices or is made of money.....

/rant
    -G. Wilson
    If a person want something bad enough then they can find a way to get it.....
    05-02-11 05:45 PM
    This phone is 4 years late yet the incredible was released just about a year ago exactly and was one of the first 1 ghz processor phones out. People are ridiculous. The screen is gorgeous and the processor is up to date. If you want to tell me its not dual core so its not up to date, show me how dual core would work with the BB OS. BB OS isn't meant for dual core so the one they are using is up to date. This phone is probably only 6 months late to be honest.
    05-02-11 05:53 PM
    Reminds me of some of the Engadget commenters ragging on the screen quality due to it only being 640x480, not factoring in the pixel density at all...
    05-02-11 05:55 PM
    Funny how some people get so defensive about RIM. If you are a Blackberry fan, you should be concerned that RIM is losing market share in a big way to Apple and Android phones. Blindly defending the company as if it does no wrong isn't going to help.

Some of the current blackberry commercials and ads seem so misguided. Like the commercials showing the DJ/music producer guy and all of these ultra creative people using a Torch. Yeah, maybe, but that's not your core market. Good luck selling to DJs.

The core market for blackberrys is business people, and a larger group of people who want their phones to have swap-able batteries and a real keyboard.
    zeteo likes this.
    05-02-11 06:08 PM
    Funny how some people get so defensive about RIM. If you are a Blackberry fan, you should be concerned that RIM is losing market share in a big way to Apple and Android phones. Blindly defending the company as if it does no wrong isn't going to help.
    Wrong... I don't buy my phones because company X has good market share. Just like i don't make phone purchases based on the current stock price... I find BB OS easy to use, doesn't matter if the market share is 1% or if the stock is at $5 a share.

And blindly defending them? There's nothing blind about it...
    05-02-11 06:09 PM

Some of the current blackberry commercials and ads seem so misguided. Like the commercials showing the DJ/music producer guy and all of these ultra creative people using a Torch. Yeah, maybe, but that's not your core market. Good luck selling to DJs.

The core market for blackberrys is business people, and a larger group of people who want their phones to have swap-able batteries and a real keyboard.
    Lol what do we care how their stock is doing? It is amusing how everyone obsesses over that stuff around here when we have no control over stuff like that and it doesn't affect our lives (other than people that own their stock). More people than you think have BlackBerry's. Smartphones are getting more and more popular and BlackBerrys are still selling
    05-02-11 06:12 PM
90 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD