Wrong... I don't buy my phones because company X has good market share. Just like i don't make phone purchases based on the current stock price... I find BB OS easy to use, doesn't matter if the market share is 1% or if the stock is at $5 a share.

And blindly defending them? There's nothing blind about it...
    My comment wasn't necessarily directed towards you. But apparently the shoe fits.

Market share and stock price certainly do matter. Once upon a time the Treo was the best smartphone you could get. Things change. Losing market share impacts earnings, which impacts R&D, which impacts the firm's ability to stay current and produce quality products. If RIM can't turn things around, it could suffer the same fate as Handspring/Palm.
    hispanola likes this.
    05-02-11 06:18 PM
    My comment wasn't necessarily directed towards you. But apparently the shoe fits.

Market share and stock price certainly do matter. Once upon a time the Treo was the best smartphone you could get. Things change. Losing market share impacts earnings, which impacts R&D, which impacts the firm's ability to stay current and produce quality products. If RIM can't turn things around, it could suffer the same fate as Handspring/Palm.
    Palm did a 180 and completely redesigned their OS + UI from the ground up and they were worse off by FAR.

So you can argue that loss in market share causes a loss in R&D, yet Palm proved that even in a situation 100,000,000x worse than RIM they can redesign their OS from the ground up.

So am I worried about RIMs financials to redesign the OS if palm did it with less? No... Not to mention RIM didn't even start from ground zero, hence the acquisition of QNX.
    05-02-11 06:22 PM

And if that happens, which I don't think it will, then you have to move to something else. Its not anything we can control. We have no say what RIM does so why stress over it?
    05-02-11 06:22 PM
    I was getting frustrated with RIM not releasing a more "up to date" phone but I have to say this phone is godly compared to the Bold 9650 I bought in February, and when my upgrade comes around again, this is the top of my list to buy. Lets hope that the OS 7 will have some new apps to mess with because I am sad that not more people are making BB Apps... lol... The BB OS is definitely an awesome OS and I am proud to use, it just needs more of a tweaking and more apps! :P

I buy RIM Products because it is an awesome company not because they have the highest or lowest amount of phones out there...
    05-02-11 06:32 PM
    I was getting frustrated with RIM not releasing a more "up to date" phone but I have to say this phone is godly compared to the Bold 9650 I bought in February, and when my upgrade comes around again, this is the top of my list to buy. Lets hope that the OS 7 will have some new apps to mess with because I am sad that not more people are making BB Apps... lol... The BB OS is definitely an awesome OS and I am proud to use, it just needs more of a tweaking and more apps! :P

I buy RIM Products because it is an awesome company not because they have the highest or lowest amount of phones out there...
    The funny thing is that while Android has a lot of app support, I don't actually use that many (other than games... Games are kinda different because they are time wasters and you get over them kinda quickly, so you have to keep getting more). Most of the apps I have are replacements for something similar that I would do on BB or plugging holes that are missing from the native OS (memo pad, downloading all file types, app categorization, etc).
    05-02-11 06:34 PM
    The funny thing is that while Android has a lot of app support, I don't actually use that many (other than games... Games are kinda different because they are time wasters and you get over them kinda quickly, so you have to keep getting more). Most of the apps I have are replacements for something similar that I would do on BB or plugging holes that are missing from the native OS (memo pad, downloading all file types, app categorization, etc).
    Yeh I know, lol... I don't want to go to android or iOS unless I was forced to by lack of OS support by RIM, or them going under... *knocks on wood* They have an awesome support and they have really decent OS with all the extra's build right into it lol... I couldn't ask for more... They could tweak a few things but I think, with this model, that won't be an issue because a lot will be resolved with a much faster CPU & more RAM...
    05-02-11 06:39 PM
    Funny how some people get so defensive about RIM. If you are a Blackberry fan, you should be concerned that RIM is losing market share in a big way to Apple and Android phones. Blindly defending the company as if it does no wrong isn't going to help.

Some of the current blackberry commercials and ads seem so misguided. Like the commercials showing the DJ/music producer guy and all of these ultra creative people using a Torch. Yeah, maybe, but that's not your core market. Good luck selling to DJs.

The core market for blackberrys is business people, and a larger group of people who want their phones to have swap-able batteries and a real keyboard.
    That are my exact thoughts that as RIM fan I am concerned about them. And it has nothing to do with hardware. RIM's software implementation (their OS) was pretty slow to begin with and they kept using the same software architecture.
    05-02-11 07:23 PM
    I once was a BB user and now I left for the HTC evo. You guys are crazy to say this phone is 18 or 4 years to late.

Name me a phone besides the atrix that is out NOW with better specs???.....
    Screen size is a preference btw so that can't be a pro or con.

RIM'S app support is 4 years too late! but the hardware isn't!
    05-02-11 08:35 PM
    A 1.2GHz processor and a 271ppi screen four years ago? Seriously?

The only thing about this hardware that's even remotely not in line with other top-tier smartphones of today is the size of the screen. And if you gave this phone a 3-4" screen, you'd have to either make the phone huge, or make it a slider, in which case it would just be the next Torch, or give it no QWERTY at all, in which case it would be the next Storm.

Every other spec on the 9900 is very competitive with what's on the market right now.
    05-02-11 08:50 PM
    Yeah - starting a thread with "I love RIM" is pretty sneaky troll-fu. Them trolls is smart!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    HAHAHA I LOL'ed at Troll-fu that is so true, and it happens alot unfortunately.

you see those types of comments on BGR and Engadget's comments section too...

"I LOVE RIM... But they suck and I wish they were dead..." LOL
    05-04-11 12:22 PM
    Four years too late?????

Would you please post specs and features of the leading phones four years ago and maybe reconsider just how ridiculous that sounds?

To be quite honest I wasn't expecting them to go this heavily into the hardware end of things. A 1.2 GHz Snapdragon and 768MB of RAM are well beyond what I'd expect I would need from a device like this unless it gets a much more capable OS in the future.
    05-04-11 12:41 PM
    If blackberries were iphone/android clone look/act alikes I wouldn't even own one. I like my BB for what it is and what it does for me during my day.
    Thank god RIM is staying true to the BB format (so far) and will continue to do so. There's nothing like a blackberry, Nothing!
    05-04-11 12:46 PM
    Low end? Seriously?

You do know that BB's aren't the only phones with keyboards, right? LG Quantum? Droid Pro? Do you care or are you just here to complain?

Please show me where on Rogers website Droid Pro is available to Canadian customers? http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wirel...+11+4294967066
    05-04-11 07:36 PM
    You're free to buy the iPhone if you'd like.

But your list of things that the iPhone came with is a bit sparse.

etc

lol.

iPhone had liquid graphics? How so?
    Bahahahaaaa
    05-04-11 07:43 PM
    Behind?

How about every other platform being behind in how it handles email? It took everyone else 10 YEARS to get email working on a comparable level and imo still doesn't touch the Blackberry.
    05-04-11 07:46 PM
    Please show me where on Rogers website Droid Pro is available to Canadian customers? http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wirel...+11+4294967066
    Please show me anything to support calling these new phones 'low-end'.
    05-04-11 07:59 PM
    Rumor has it the next iPhone will have a time-travel app so the OP can buy a new iPhone and then travel back in time to buy the one that has tortured him for years... (Insert time-travel conflict conundrum here)
    05-04-11 08:19 PM
    I notice that some recommend those who see any fault in RIM just leave. Based on sales and activations in the U.S many are following the advice. In this day of modern devices I join John Devorack in saying RIM needs something revolutionary to save the company. I am a Canadian who wants to see this company succeed. I have tried numerous BB phones, the constant battery pulls, expensive and limited apps, poor browser, poor cameras, etc., have left it with its e-mail. Well guess what, iOS and Android have caught up.

Yes, I am anxious to try the 9900, but may bypass it if they can't get their act together. One phone in Orlando and that without even a hint of a sales date! You've got to be kidding me! The management is pathetic. So I may just take the advice and join the tens of thousands who have already tired of giving BB numerous 2nd chances.
    05-04-11 08:38 PM
    Please show me anything to support calling these new phones 'low-end'.
    How many Canadian "secure" government apps available for Blackberries? Japanese make high quality phones BEFORE we have them here in North America, but I call them low-end because there are not many apps for Japanese phones. NFC came to Japanese phone years AGO!!! But yet these Japanese phones are "low-end" because the phones are NOT supported by apps.

Anyway, I don't want to keep arguing about these things, so this will be my last post on this Thread and topic.

Thank you for your input.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 05-04-11 at 08:44 PM.
    05-04-11 08:41 PM
    Well, I don't know how this new BlackBerry Bold 9900 can be ''low end''...

I definitely don't think this smartphone is low end...

And I still don't see how this Bold 9900 is ''low end''...

05-05-11 02:53 AM
    WARNING
    Do NOT feed the trolls
    05-05-11 04:35 AM
    iPhone is still the best resolution screen in the world. However, BB bold touch is the design that every Bold user want

05-05-11 07:05 PM
    The original Bold 9000 and original iPhone were fairly comparable, and were often compared head to head.

RIM's current lineup is a little behind on the specs department, about a year or so I'd say. The 9900 should at least make things competitive again on the hardware side.
    05-05-11 11:45 PM
    I don't get why people are complaining about this device. There is a market for it and it will sell. I know a large number of users where I work who are looking forward to getting the new Bold. If you aren't enamored with the specs, then go buy something that meets your criteria.

05-06-11 12:21 AM
    4yrs behind? Hmmm I don't recall the iphone(original) having hd video, 1ghz processor, liquid graphics? HA!, full keyboard+touchscreen, etc etc...soooooo what was this 4yrs behind stuff?
    05-06-11 01:45 AM
90 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD