Has anyone perused the android forums? Good grief! The complaints and the nature of the problems make many of the phones almost useless for mobile use.

I have heard mention of battery life issues, but they aren't kidding!

I'm very interested in enjoying the benefits of android, but those forums are keeping me at bay. I do understand that complaints and problems tend to constitute the vast majority of forum posts, but the problems aren't isolated... you'll see one problem post, and then 10 pages of "me too!".

My 9650 is still working very smartly and I'm not finding myself wanting for anything other than snappier performance.

Now, the 9930's fixed focus, bad closeup performance camera has got me looking at other blackberry options (the one's with physical keyboards... not that slab torch thing).
    08-11-11 06:04 AM
    If all you're looking for is a snappier 9650, then the 9900 or the 9810 (depending on if that camera really is a deal breaker for you) is the way to go. The 9900 is extremely snappy and smooth.

With that said, no phone is perfect, and pretty much every single one of them out there has some sort of issue (some more minor than others), whether it be Android, iPhone or BlackBerry.
    08-11-11 06:16 AM
    The only Android phone I would consider would be the Samsung Galaxy S2. I use mine on and off and there is no battery problems. It is the ONLY Android phone, I have used that has no problem with getting through the day and more. It is also the BEST Android phone on the market. Apple better step it up if the SG2 is an example of what is to come!

If you want Blackberry, there is no better than the 9900.
    08-11-11 06:23 AM
    Greg,

Aren't you a hi-end camera guy?.... or perhaps I have you confused with someone else.

If you are the photo-bug, I'm surprised you didn't express 9900 photo concerns.

For myself, I do appreciate the ability to snap a closeup of a document. What a feature! No need to be near a copy machine or a fax! That is huge for someone who is on the go (or doesn't want to deal the folks around the copy machine).

Is Verizon getting one of those new lower-end, "curve-like" blackberry's? I'm assuming that they are keeping the adjustable focus lens.
    08-11-11 06:42 AM
    I'm kind of a tech geek, and as such, I've gone through a lot of phones in the past, many of which were Android. I've had the original Droid, Incredible, Droid X, Droid Pro, Droid X2, HTC Trophy (WP7) and the iPhone. While I like the idea of Android with its widgets and customization, it just doesn't feel like a finished product. I don't think that I was able to make it more than a day without at least one app force closing. I also experienced laggy performance quite often, especially when managing apps in the settings menu.

Android's problem seems to be the fragmentation. With all of the manufacturers putting their own skin on top of the OS, you're bound to have problems. That is why I like the idea of Windows Phone 7. While some people would like more freedom, at least you know that your phone will perform well since Microsoft sets minimum handset specs and controls the OS. WP7 may not be catching on yet, but I think it will be a much more viable option once the Mango update drops this fall.

I do think that Android is great as a multimedia phone. The web browser performance has always been solid and the large (and getting larger) screens make video watching pretty good if all you have is your phone. In the end, the choice of which OS is best for you boils down to what you do most with your device.
    Last edited by Scout_313; 08-11-11 at 08:23 AM.
    08-11-11 08:17 AM
    The only Android phone I would consider would be the Samsung Galaxy S2. I use mine on and off and there is no battery problems. It is the ONLY Android phone, I have used that has no problem with getting through the day and more. It is also the BEST Android phone on the market. Apple better step it up if the SG2 is an example of what is to come!

If you want Blackberry, there is no better than the 9900.
    In your opinion the Galaxy is the best on the market not everyone else's .
    08-11-11 08:46 AM
    To be honest, stick with Blackberry. I tried something different and bought an iPhone after I got rid of my Tour. While iOS is solid, The notifications sucked BAD. Stayed for about a year, then after much research went to Sprint and Android. The 2.2 Froyo was good but the Battery was not as bad on my Evo 4G. Now granted there were days I had to plug it to the charger by 4 pm, but for the most part, most HTC phones are pretty decent on battery life. My personal experience only. Now I have a Epic 4G and I have to tell you, Battery sucks with Samsung. It takes an incredibly long time to charge and the screen, as nice as it is, sucks the most juice. Android is good, with widgets and all, but no one can do notification's and email like Blackberry. Apple and Samsung can kiss my grits, I want Blackberry again. I used Blackberry for 5 years before I jumped ship, and felt like I got cheated with the other smartphone OS's. Stick with Blackberry, I am confident they won't dissapoint.
    08-11-11 09:00 AM
    Greg,

Aren't you a hi-end camera guy?.... or perhaps I have you confused with someone else.

If you are the photo-bug, I'm surprised you didn't express 9900 photo concerns.

For myself, I do appreciate the ability to snap a closeup of a document. What a feature! No need to be near a copy machine or a fax! That is huge for someone who is on the go (or doesn't want to deal the folks around the copy machine).

Is Verizon getting one of those new lower-end, "curve-like" blackberry's? I'm assuming that they are keeping the adjustable focus lens.
    If you are truly a high end camera guy, then you got yourself a good digital camera AND a good SLR camera, and you really just use the phone camera as a bonus, for that quick shot in a pinch.
    08-11-11 09:07 AM
    I got an HTC Desire soon after they came out. Lovely little thing. I'm terrible with touch only screens, so struggled to create appointments/contacts etc., but that is mostly my problem, not the phone's (which is why I'm sticking to keyboards).

Only negative thing for me with Android, was the dependence on Gmail and not being able to sync with Outlook calendar and contacts. I knew straight away that was a dealbreaker (even IOS can sync with Outlook!!!), but I kept the phone for a couple of weeks and played with it thoroughly and really enjoyed those other dimensions of it. Nothing bad to say about Android OS at all.

But of course that was just like a 2 week holiday, and then I returned to the real world!
    08-11-11 09:30 AM
    Evo 4G. No problems at all. It's like cars. Some people complain about this, or that.. and then you have others who's experience has been pleasant. My advice, coming from a 9650.. is to try Android for yourself. You already know what the 9930 is about. If you dont like Android.. return it and get the bb. My two cents.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-11 10:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD