It has been a LONG while since I've posted here. Maybe 2-3 years?

Anyway. My contract just recently expired and renewed with the Bold 9900. So far I'm liking it but I can't keep thinking that an iPhone 4S or other Android device would've been a better choice.

Now I've got 2 weeks to decide if I should keep this phone or not. I know I'm posting on CrackBerry, which should be biased but still, I'd like opinions out of seasoned users.

What features/apps or anything I should take note of that could boost my experience with this phone? What are the different things I should appreciate from my old Tour 9630 compared to the Bold 9900? (apart from the obvious physical and touch screen difference)

Thanks in advance! And I welcome myself back to CrackBerry! (hopefully I can stay)
    Last edited by trinxified; 02-13-12 at 11:31 PM.
    02-13-12 11:28 PM
    Return it and buy an Android and an iPHONE. I hear they have very good forums there!
    02-13-12 11:34 PM
    Return it and buy an Android and an iPHONE. I hear they have very good forums there!
    Is that a serious answer? Or upset at the fact I posted here?
    02-13-12 11:38 PM
    Why don't you try the android or iPhone out for a week and then decide?

I didn't like android nor iPhone because of the lack of keyboard. So I ended up getting a bb 9900 and iPad 2 to substitute for the apps and mobile browsing. The blackberry can be used as a hotspot so it's amazing
    02-13-12 11:39 PM
    Why don't you try the android or iPhone out for a week and then decide?

I didn't like android nor iPhone because of the lack of keyboard. So I ended up getting a bb 9900 and iPad 2 to substitute for the apps and mobile browsing. The blackberry can be used as a hotspot so it's amazing
    A hotspot? Does that mean I can use my phone to give wi-fi access for my brother and sister's iPad 2 and Galaxy Tab?

I think I'll try them out as you suggested. I just didn't want to go through the hassle of returning/exchanging each time.
    02-13-12 11:41 PM
    A hotspot? Does that mean I can use my phone to give wi-fi access for my brother and sister's iPad 2 and Galaxy Tab?

I think I'll try them out as you suggested. I just didn't want to go through the hassle of returning/exchanging each time.
    Heck yes!! It's the new os 7.1 features. Unless you know your pan settings though, you will have to wait for the upgrade from your provider

Well you never know what you are unless you try them all out. My brother is an androidian for example. Most older folk or younger kids are iPhones as they find it easy to use. I need to accommodate my need for a physical keyboard and love of email and text so I stuck with blackberry.
    Last edited by lumos; 02-13-12 at 11:47 PM.
    02-13-12 11:45 PM
    Heck yes!! It's the new os 7.1 features. Unless you know your pan settings though, you will have to wait for the upgrade from your provider

Well you never know what you are unless you try them all out. My brother is an androidian for example. Most older folk or younger kids are iPhones as they find it easy to use. I need to accommodate my need for a physical keyboard and love of email and text so I stuck with blackberry.
    Thanks for that answer. Yeah TELUS doesn't have that update yet and I don't want to jump on other carrier's versions just yet.

Quick question about hotspot. I've only got 1GB of data on my current plan. Will that suffice if I decide to let them connect wi-fi on my phone? Of course it will be rare occasion, but how much is it going to last? (pure surfing, very little to none videos)
    02-13-12 11:49 PM
    Thanks for that answer. Yeah TELUS doesn't have that update yet and I don't want to jump on other carrier's versions just yet.

Quick question about hotspot. I've only got 1GB of data on my current plan. Will that suffice if I decide to let them connect wi-fi on my phone? Of course it will be rare occasion, but how much is it going to last? (pure surfing, very little to none videos)
    I'm sorry, I couldn't tell you exactly how long that will last. I am with mobilicity so it's unlimited. I would say that for only surfing, the 1 gb should be enough as long as they are not streaming videos or using data intensive applications. YouTube would eat up data for e.g.

A web page, is usually kilobytes to a couple of megs, you have 1000 megs so it's good. P.s. sending picture and video messages or uploading videos to YouTube uses up that data too
    02-13-12 11:57 PM
    Well I had the choice of renewing my contract with Robbers (Rogers) but I didn't. I went with WIND mobile which has the 9900, and I can tell you its the best device I've ever used. Played with a few iPhones and Android devices, and I couldn't really type or text as easily as I could with a key board. I went with the 9900, but I can only show you the door, if you want to walk through it, that's your choice to make.
    02-14-12 12:17 AM
    I'm sorry, I couldn't tell you exactly how long that will last. I am with mobilicity so it's unlimited. I would say that for only surfing, the 1 gb should be enough as long as they are not streaming videos or using data intensive applications. YouTube would eat up data for e.g.

A web page, is usually kilobytes to a couple of megs, you have 1000 megs so it's good. P.s. sending picture and video messages or uploading videos to YouTube uses up that data too
    Yeah I was strongly considering going to Mobilicity or Wind but for some reason I felt I had to stick with the big 3.

I'm going to look into it again. I could change my mind again. Thanks
    02-14-12 12:39 AM
    I would stick with the 9900! I am absolutely still in love with mine, and I've had it from launch. The mobile hotspot was really easy to set up, and most decent plans include tethering (I'm on Telus, and they have it). I would definitely install the 7.1.0.205 OS, as currently that's the only way to get mobile hotspot, and that OS comes with a really nice bump in battery life as well!
    02-14-12 01:28 AM

Don't worry about what Telus has, or doesn't have. I'm with Telus on the 9900 running the latest 'leaked' firmware and it's awesome! The wifi hotspot takes the cake - was leaning iphone/android for that reason & the icloud. Glad I stayed with the BB - would really miss the keyboard - these fat mitts aren't for the touch screen typing on small real estate.
    As for the data usage - to each their own - we got 6gb of data on our phones so i'm not usually too worried.
    02-14-12 01:39 AM
    Return it and get a BB 9810, which will give u a good keyboard, large screen, and same horsepower as the 9900. I suggest the 9810 because u seem to be questioning your decision which means to me u aren't satisfied with the 9900. If u want games and nonsense to fill your day then get the Android. The Android beats the iPhone 4s until the iPhone 5 comes. As u can see there are viable options for u. Personally I love my 9900 and I find that between a few games and social feeds that I can fill any time vacancies I have in a day. My brother has the 9800 and loves the form factor, he wishes he had a 9810. The only real advantage of the 9900 is the NFC, but I don't believe it will be advantageous for another year or so. I have not owned an Android, but my g/f has an iPhone 4. If entering appointments quickly and being able to multi-task is very important u cannot beat a BB.

The other advantage of trying a 9810 is that u will be able to play with the full touchscreen to see if u could do without a physical keyboard.

P.S. For all the battery complaints w/ 9900 I can tell u that I don't charge my phone during the day, but my g/f charges her iPhone 4 all the time and that is with the push functions off (except facebook).

Hope some of what I said helps u in your decision...
    02-14-12 11:09 AM
    If you have a lot of friends with BBM and you like a physical keyboard the bold 9900 is the right phone for you. The apps you could have are very limited compared to the iphone or android.

About buying an iphone 4S right now it is not a good moment, in June they are going to release the iphone 5 with a bigger screen, a faster processor, and some other things that nobody knows.

The iphone is a great phone, you could have almost any type of apps. Also it is more stable you don't need to restart it every 4 days, there is no risk of bricking the phone by connecting it in the night, and if some day you have a big issue you restore the phone and everything is like always.

On Sunday my bold 9900 keep restarting and even I reload the OS with the blakcberry desktop software it keep restarting and freezing almost immediately after the OS launched. After some hours I fix the phone by using ( I think this is how I fix it ) a blackberry tool named bbsak
    02-14-12 11:32 AM
    Don't worry about what Telus has, or doesn't have. I'm with Telus on the 9900 running the latest 'leaked' firmware and it's awesome! The wifi hotspot takes the cake - was leaning iphone/android for that reason & the icloud. Glad I stayed with the BB - would really miss the keyboard - these fat mitts aren't for the touch screen typing on small real estate.
    As for the data usage - to each their own - we got 6gb of data on our phones so i'm not usually too worried.
    You've tried the hotspot? Does it give enough data use even if I got 5GB available, hopefully enough for sharing wi-fi to others.
    02-14-12 11:34 AM
    The bigger issue for me is whether to wait for BB10. My upgrade is 45 days away.
    I have some friends with 9930's from Sprint, and they love them. I had an Iphone before I got my 9650. I do not see what people see in Iphones. Yes, I had lot's of cool apps, but rarely used most of them. I have about five apps I use regularly.
    My 9650 is becoming a POS, but I think it's due to insufficienet RAM. I'd stick with the Bold.
    02-14-12 11:45 AM
    I have the 9650/Bold with Verizon. I have on and off been considering the 9930 and visited with them a few times. Yesterday, I went to an official Verizon store where they have had it on display. No 9930 on display - only the full-touch thing. I asked. "We have one in the back, I'll get it." Fine. He brings out a mockup like you see at some kiosks. He says you can see what it looks like and it works like that touch one! I mention it must be hard selling this model when they have a photo for a screen. He mentions there may be an UNcharged one in back and he will look again. 10 minutes later - yup, fully dead. He plugs it in and begins charging. So I got to play a bit more with wire plugged in but at least that theft-proof block was no longer glued to the back (glue remnants were showing!).

I guess Verizon really does not care much about BB's anymore.

I guess there will be no more auditions as I've been to the other larger verizon stores and none have the Bold on display anymore. Well, maybe the downtown store.
    02-14-12 11:55 AM
    OP, and others, give the other device options a shot for a few days of heavy use. And if you like it, you like it. There will be a bit of BB withdrawal, but you may enjoy what other platforms have to offer.
    02-14-12 12:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD