So I was at the mall with my best friend and I asked her to come with me to Verizon to check out the new BlackBerry. I spotted it immediately, even though it doesn't have it's own special area.

The screen is BEAUTIFUL and the OS zips by with no troubles. When I typed my first word on the keyboard I knew it was the best keyboard on a phone yet. There's just enough click without being too loud and you don't have to press the keys too much to get them to go down, it's great.

But other than the amazing keyboard and nice graphics, I found myself a bit underwhelmed with the device. I was hoping for the love I felt for the 9000 back in 2008 when I first laid my hands on it, but that didn't happen. Since the 9900 was announced I've been planning on ditching my iPhone 4 for it, but I'm not so sure anymore. Has anybody else come away somewhat disappointed in the 9900/9930?
    mustangv8 likes this.
    08-18-11 04:45 PM
    I did...I boxed mine up today and sent it back and reactivated my jailbroken i4..Dont get me wrong its a amazing build quality and calls were clear and its buttery smooth for the most part i just have moved on i guess in terms of my needs and the larger screen,quality apps(no games) i use on a day to day basis just weren't there..i couldn't even use Pandora or espn app or Pulse(no app for BB) os7 has very little in terms of apps at this time and it isn't backwards compatible with os6 apps. it just isn't for me anymore to just have a email,messaging etc device and didn't realize that til getting it and using it for couple days..i had thought id be blown away like my now destroyed(involved in a motorcycle crash) BB 9000 when it was first got it. i think the current BB users will love this! but coming from ios or android the novelty and shine of a good looking new phone with less tech than they had will wear off quick..
    08-18-11 05:06 PM
    a lot of those apps are going to be ported over to OS7 really soon, so I'm not sure that's THAT good enough of a reason to ditch it, but yeah, overall it looks like BB isn't for you.
    08-18-11 05:18 PM
    I wasn't disappointed at all.

BUT, I can see why people may be. One of the main reasons is the OS is barely different. Its just a faster, more powerful OS6 with a few more hardware/software bumps.

But, I think its only going up from here!
    08-18-11 05:22 PM
    The usefullness of the 9930 isn't going to be there until dropbox and filescout are all set to go.... but I fully expect that they will.
    I have had a Droid Incredible 2 for a full day and I'm already putting it up on craigslist. If I only rarely used it as a work phone, I would LOVE the android... but I don't need something so fiddly (and delicate!) when I'm working fast and often with one hand.

If the blackberry had no music app or couldn't surf the net.... then I'd be gone... it's not like I never want to play.... but because it can do those things, I'm good with it.

Also, my 9650 gets a signal when other smartphones fail to get ANY signal. That feature, alone, is huge.
    08-18-11 05:25 PM
    a lot of those apps are going to be ported over to OS7 really soon, so I'm not sure that's THAT good enough of a reason to ditch it, but yeah, overall it looks like BB isn't for you.
    i didnt say THAT was the only reason i returned it. i know they will be available eventually but overall it didnt fit my needs at this time..i know current BB users will love it! it really is the best "blackberry" out there.. i havent closed the door on BB by any means, i will check out next years Qnx phones and go from there..
    08-18-11 05:27 PM
    I did...I boxed mine up today and sent it back and reactivated my jailbroken i4..Dont get me wrong its a amazing build quality and calls were clear and its buttery smooth for the most part i just have moved on i guess in terms of my needs and the larger screen,quality apps(no games) i use on a day to day basis just weren't there..i couldn't even use Pandora or espn app or Pulse(no app for BB) os7 has very little in terms of apps at this time and it isn't backwards compatible with os6 apps. it just isn't for me anymore to just have a email,messaging etc device and didn't realize that til getting it and using it for couple days..i had thought id be blown away like my now destroyed(involved in a motorcycle crash) BB 9000 when it was first got it. i think the current BB users will love this! but coming from ios or android the novelty and shine of a good looking new phone with less tech than they had will wear off quick..
    This is basically me right here. Blown away by the 9000 back in '08 and now spoiled by a jailbroken iPhone 4 lol.

The 9900/9930 is most definitely a step in the right direction though!
    08-18-11 05:36 PM
    o heck yea.It is, im happy to see the old 9000 wider style , i hate the thin is in thing though esp at the expense of the auto focus option..
    08-18-11 05:38 PM
    BB, for me , ran it's course. Not enough Apps, Screen is too small...ala NFL Mobile. No Flash...web browsing, alltough better, still behind IOS and Android..and Android and Apple are up to par in the messaging and email dept.....Don't get me wrong I still enjoy my BB 9650, solid deivice, but my needs have exceded the phone. Fantasy footbal...no app. Fantasy basketball..no app. The infamous Angry birds..No app. Viewing webpages,even mobile ones, too small. Of course I'm just speaking for me..BBM is the ONLY reason to stay but with so many intergrated messaging apps ..no need.
    08-18-11 05:41 PM
    I've come to see the iPhone as a toy. It's great and all, but I don't know anyone that I can Facetime with; the most important point to make is that all the friends/family of my girlfriend use BBM, and so does she. I can't just switch.

Also, BB does what I need it to .
    08-18-11 05:47 PM
    i have alot of hope for BB down the road but the lacks out way the gots for me..all about your needs and im there with ya my needs have out grown it. i dont really play games on my phone but my little boy has his games on mine to entertain him when we fly. i use the iradar app in my car and its great and a hord of productivity apps i found out i cant live without..
    08-18-11 05:47 PM
    I've come to see the iPhone as a toy. It's great and all, but I don't know anyone that I can Facetime with; the most important point to make is that all the friends/family of my girlfriend use BBM, and so does she. I can't just switch.

Also, BB does what I need it to .
    thats like me and BBM i dont know anyone anymore that has a BBM to talk too..the 5 people i knew all got something else..
    08-18-11 05:49 PM
    Master jobs will forgive you ifoners for betraying the kingdom lol.the bb was never meant to be a xbox 360,now go appease lord jobs buy downloading those 200,000 fart apps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by stackberry369; 08-18-11 at 07:20 PM.
    08-18-11 07:10 PM
    Blackberry will destroy Apple.

Just watch.

08-18-11 07:50 PM
    ^lol no
    08-18-11 08:08 PM
    [QUOTE=lazerus;6588054]Blackberry will destroy Apple.

Just watch.

I agree, just give them some time
    08-18-11 09:00 PM
    I have a WP7 with mango right now but i missy 9780, I sold it just because it was double typing. I wanted to jump to the 9930 with a 2year contract at VS but the camera and the lack of BB6 apps just disappointed me a lot. I might just keep my current phone, Mango is pretty sweet.
    08-18-11 09:14 PM
    So I was at the mall with my best friend and I asked her to come with me to Verizon to check out the new BlackBerry. I spotted it immediately, even though it doesn't have it's own special area.

The screen is BEAUTIFUL and the OS zips by with no troubles. When I typed my first word on the keyboard I knew it was the best keyboard on a phone yet. There's just enough click without being too loud and you don't have to press the keys too much to get them to go down, it's great.

But other than the amazing keyboard and nice graphics, I found myself a bit underwhelmed with the device. I was hoping for the love I felt for the 9000 back in 2008 when I first laid my hands on it, but that didn't happen. Since the 9900 was announced I've been planning on ditching my iPhone 4 for it, but I'm not so sure anymore. Has anybody else come away somewhat disappointed in the 9900/9930?
    I'm holding out and trying to wait and see if VZ gets the Torch. For me, I don't think the 9930 could live up to all the hype and all the time I waited for Rim to get a new phone to market.
    I may end up just keeping my bold 9650 if the torch doesn't hit VZ.

I will check the bold out when the local best buy gets it. Not buying it though
    08-18-11 09:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD